This Workspace has been created to assist the ALAC/At-Large community in developing FY22 Additional Budget Request (ABR) proposals. The ALAC Finance and Budget Sub-committee (FBSC) will review all proposals submitted and will agree on which to submit to ICANN on behalf of the ALAC.

FY22 ALAC/ALT Plus Criteria for Additional Budget Requests: 

  • In the post-ATLAS III environment, proposals should include activities that will make the entire At-Large community more effective in policy advice development. 
  • Outreach should not be a major focus. Activities to improve engagement with existing members is encouraged.
  • If any request is made on outreach, it should go through the CROP program or as a part of a larger ALAC request for RALO Discretionary Funding. 
  • RALO requests should be strategic and in line with their RALO's strategic outreach plans and the At-Large 2021 Workplan and must be endorsed by their RALO prior to being submitted for consideration by the FBSC.
  • Priority will also only be given to those who have provided draft reports as requested as part of the FY21 ABR approval language. Final reports must be submitted by the end of FY21. 
  • Staff is currently expecting that basic resources for community communications/printing will be supported through the core ICANN budget, but that community proposals for printing , etc. will be accepted as a back-up in case expectations change.  Specific proposals for communications resources beyond simple printing and editing functions should be prepared and submitted.

Important Documents and Resources from ICANN Finance and Policy Staff

FY22 Additional Budget Request Timeline

The timeline and deliverables for the process are as follows:





Kick off and Submission period

09 Nov 2020

29 Jan 2021In Progress
FBSC representatives and/or staff to send notice of opening of FY21 Additional Budget Request (ABR) process to RALOs18 Nov 202025 Nov 2020Completed
RALOs to review any ALS request or complete a template on behalf of the RALO and send requests to 

25 Nov 2020

18Jan 2021

(New.  extended date)

Discussion of Proposals with Finance and Policy Staff and FBSC11 Jan 202118 Jan 2021 (extended dates)Completed
Revised proposals to be sent to the FBSC for final review.13 Jan 202118 Jan 2021Completed
The ALAC to review the proposed At-Large FY22 ABRs during their monthly call19 Jan 202122 Jan 2021Completed
The FBSC to review all the RALO requests.25 Jan 202128 Jan 2021Completed

Submissions Due – send to (IMPORTANT: At-Large staff will send all At-Large requests to

29 Jan 2021

29 Jan 2021

Preliminary review of requests by

01 Feb 2021

05 Mar 2021

SO/AC consultations at ICANN 70 (by request, during Constituents’ Day)

20 Mar 2021

25 Mar 2021

Final assessments and recommendations by

12 Apr 2021

16 Apr 2021

ICANN Board Finance Committee Review and recommendation for approval to the Board

30 Apr 2021

30 Apr 2021

ICANN Board review and approval at May Board meeting

5 May 2021

14 May 2021



Person or Group Submitting

Title of Proposal

Request Number


Comments   by FBSC Members

FBSC Notes and Decision


Real-Time TranscriptionJudith HellersteinReal-time Captioning RTT of Zoom Meetings in Spanish and French

Recurring activity. Seeking 8 hours of RTT services in Spanish and 8 hours in French each month. The Spanish RTT will be off the Spanish language interpretation that is already provided and the French Translation will be off the French language interpretation in the calls.

Currently, RTT in English has made it to the core budget, but if for some reason it drops out of the core budget of ICANN than we would like this ABR to cover that RTT in English as well.

JH--Strongly Support

MH-- strongly support

JC – Strongly support

MM – Supportive but would want to see some stats re: use at the end of the year

RH - Support, but agree with MM

DK - Strongly support

NA: “Real-time Captioning RTT of Zoom Meetings in Spanish and French” Comments: A) Title: I suggest adding to the title “Pilot” to be Pilot Real-time Captioning RTT of Zoom Meetings in Spanish and French Reasoning: To see if it does provide value for money. I mean if there will be enough users to this service. B) A comment on: Could this proposal splitted into two pilots. 1) To provide a real-time Captioning RTT in Spanish/French 2) To provide a translation to the English real-time Captioning RTT to the other language (French/Spanish) and make it available with the recording of the session. C) Regarding the integration of more than one language of the RTT into Zoom, I expect it to be very complex. Hence providing the RTT of the non-english language through a separate stream link might be feasible. I’m with the support of this ABR proposal.

ApprovedSubmitted to Planning
Threaded Discussion and Decision Support Toolset:  Licensing, Adoption and TrainingJonathan ZuckThreaded Discussion and Decision Support Toolset:  Licensing, Adoption and Training

Procurement of, Approval of, Training on a threaded discussion and consensus tool. The two recommended by the Technology Task Force (TTF) are Loomio ( or Slack with an addon called Cloverpop (

Diversity Leads to Better Decisions

Research shows that decision made with a diverse (gender, age and geography) set of participants tend to be better in terms of objective realization, buy-in and longevity. The good news is that ICANN, generally, and the At-Large community, in particular, are well positioned to enable consensus building and durable decisions with a very diverse population. Unfortunately, the tools at our disposal to do so (email, Skype and Confluence) are not fit for purpose. The barriers are technical, cultural and lack of focus.

Good Discussions Require Focus

While the high volume of Zoom calls play their part, a great deal of consensus building and decision making needs to take place asynchronously.  To date, the primary asynchronous tool at our disposal is email which is fraught with pitfalls because conversation threads are informal, usually broken into multiple threads by various email clients and often diverted to other topics. So a random +1 rarely has its intended effect. This is where threaded discussion tools come into play. These tools demand structure and persistent threads of conversation that are easy to follow. For those less interested in being in a separate application, threaded tools allow for the primary interaction to, in fact, take place over email but threads are maintained.

Consensus Building is Incremental

With very few exceptions, most topics for discussion do not have a single decision to be addressed but a series of smaller decisions about priorities, costs and benefits, success measures and metrics. Here an important role is played by different kinds of ad hoc polling and “temperature taking.” Instead of endless prose, very specific questions are asked of participants along the way to ensure momentum towards consensus is maintained or at least the lack of consensus is recognized. There are certainly polling tools out there including Survey Monkey and Google Forms, etc. but unless those polls are integrated into the discussions and documented, they often fail at their objective.

Decision Recording is Crucial

Critical to the process of incremental consensus building, is the recording of decisions along the way.  If a point is settled and documented, it is far less likely to be revisited haphazardly. Instead, if a participant wishes to bring a new perspective or data to a previous decision, it is with intention that a conversation is reopened. Dedicated decision support tools facilitate decision trees and documentation of “settled” questions so that forward momentum is retained.

Asynchronous Threaded Decision Support Encourages Diversity of Participation

There are a number of challenges to diverse participation in international consensus building including cultural differences with regards to speaking up on a call, time zone differences, languages and differences in information. processing. Dedicated decision support tools help to address these barriers in a number of ways. First, asynchronous participation allows for more contemplation at a time, convenient to the participant. Words can be considered carefully before being shared. Second, the extensive use of polling allows for silent participation in decision making. Most participants on Zoom calls are silent but participation in polls is much higher.

Slack vs Loomio

The Technology Task Force has evaluated a number of decision support tools and finds that Loomio is the best fit for the At-Large community. The decision support is integrated into the product, built from the ground up to support consensus building. Loomio is also open source so, if ICANN chose at some future date, it can be hosted on ICANN servers without requiring a relationship with an outside host. Even with hosting, the cost to non-profits is minimal, however.

Slack, on the other hand, is a more mature commercial product, with which ICANN staff are already familiar. The learning curve would onlv involve the decisions support addon, Cloverpop. The decision such support is integrated enough to serve the purpose and there might be some benefit to continuity with existing supported technologies inside ICANN.


1st Quarter FY22, ongoing


100 User, non-profit license, two trained At-Large staff members


Staff Training

At-Large Training

JH-Support. Jz mentioned Loomio or slack with the clover pop addition. We really do need this especially if it works with mobile

 MH--Heidi - there was additional info on JZ's application form for this. This would be a great tool for CPWG to trial for their conversations rather than using the wiki

JC – Agree with MH; JZ has mentioned use of Loomio with Cloverpop, and Slack, in particular, which I strongly support.

MM - Supportive although not really familiar with these; General feeling in the community that we need to improve our tools in this area. 

RH - Not sure if this must be a At-Large ABR or a decision from ICANN IT

DK - I do support 

ApprovedSubmitted to Planning

Translation and Publication of Materials for Individual User Education on DNS Abuse

Jonathan ZuckTranslation and Publication of Materials for Individual User Education on DNS Abuse

The At-Large intends to create a kind of DNS Abuse Education “toolkit,” for use, not only by the At-Large (and its ALs) but other non-profit organizations and institutions. The At-Large has played a leadership role in bringing the issue of DNS Abuse to the foreground within the ICANN community. Through, several public meetings, we have brought diverse groups together to cooperate on finding a path forward to mitigate DNS Abuse, something which plagues the individual user community more than any other. That said, there is a recognition, by everyone, that the real answer lies with the users themselves. Only so much can be done to protect users from malicious phishing, pharming, malware and identify theft.  The best protection for end users is education and diligence on the part of those users.

Accordingly, during ICANN67, the At-Large announced that, in addition to our policy related efforts, we would be launching an education campaign to help individual end users to better protect themselves. The At-Large community is in an ideal position to execute on such a campaign, given our broad and deep structure of At-Large Organizations (RALOs) and At-Large Structures (ALSs).  This campaign has the following steps:

  1. Collect and Evaluate Existing Educational Materials
    There’s a very high likelihood that all of the materials for such a campaign already exist, having been created by non-profits and consumer protection agencies around the world. The ALAC have already begun discussions with the GAC and have received materials from both the US Government and the EU. As we collect materials, they will be evaluated for both their accuracy and their accessibility to individual end users. Most of these materials are free for us to use for such a campaign. The At-Large and Engagement team will work to gather a broad set of materials that best fit the need and the intended audience. Materials include videos, whitepapers and infographics.
  2. Translate, Standardize and Republish
    Once materials have been identified, the At-Large intends to make them available in multiple languages, based on the demographics of the different ALs. Ideally, the At-Large would create a public repository of these materials that can be easily accessed by all of our ALSs.
  3. Development of Webinar

The At-Large community will develop these materials into a webinar which we will deliver several times to refine and then train RALOs and ALSs to deliver the materials in their local language and geography. The At-Large community has a long partnership with ISOC and other non-profits which should provide numerous other opportunities and channels for outreach and distribution of the webinar and associated materials.

  1. Development of a Course
    The At-Large community will develop an online course, targeted at individual users, to learn to better protect themselves online. Ideally, this course would be hosted on the ICANN Learn platform.

It is anticipated that the primary outside expense will be the translation and republication of the diverse set of materials we identify.


1st Quarter FY22, ongoing


Resource Library
Educational Materials (Deliverable Webinar)

Delivered Webinars in each Region

ICANN Learn Course on “Protecting Yourself from Online Attacks and Malware.”


Zoom Conferences

Web Design

Resource Management

ICANN Learn Support.

At-Large Call support.

Language services.

Extensive language services are essential during collection, evaluation and republication phases.

MH--Similarly for this application

I strongly support this application to get information out about DNS abuse to the wider community. It would require more money to go into the comms budget to cater for the work which would come out of a small At-Large publication production team similar to our current ICANN Learn teams  

JC – Support.

MM – Supportive; any end-user targeted info we can release to the wider community in formats they can easily absorb would be very helpful 


RH - Support

DK - Support

From: Survey -  bundle all request for workshop training on DNS related issues together and send them as one request for ABR, if allocated it will be split among all the applicants.

ApprovedSubmitted to Planning
Professional Individual End User PollJonathan ZuckProfessional Individual End User Poll


The ALAC is charged with representing the interests of “individual internet users,” within the ICANN community and the context of ICANN Policy Development. Because “individual internet users” are not truly a type of individual but rather a class of activities, it is often sufficient to surmise the interests on individual end users with logic. However, there are certainly aspects of internet usage that those with more experience take for granted and it behooves the ICANN community generally and the At-Large community specifically, to “take the pulse,” as it were, of the broader individual user community.

Issues such as universal acceptance, string confusion and semantic expectation are areas where more knowledge would be helpful to the ICANN community. For example, the research, conducted by the CCT Review Team, revealed an individual user preference for a more semantic web, where the gTLD is more closely related to the purpose of the corresponding websites. This is especially true in otherwise “highly regulated” areas such as finance and healthcare. One could expect these preferences to vary by region, culture, gender and other factors and knowing them would allow the At-Large to even better represent these interests.

Another area of interest is individual internet user experience with the web. Is DNS Abuse as pervasive as it appears to some? As we balance the economics and interests of contracted parties and registrants with the interests of non-registrant users, knowing how pervasive the challenges truly are will help tip the balance.

Finally, what impact have Apps, Search Engines and social media impacted how people browse the web?

Many within the At-Large community have fielded ad-hoc surveys using tools such Google Forms and Survey Monkey and received valuable feedback. However, so-call “self-selection” polls are known to be flawed when attempting to survey a larger, less known, population. Similarly to ICANN public comments, self-selection polls are subject to selection bias as well as influence by those with an interest in a specific outcome.

An At-Large Individual Internet User Poll

The issues outlined above are merely examples of topics that could be covered by a poll. A polling effort would necessarily include:

  1. Identification of key issues
  2. Professional question construction
    1. To facilitate demographic distinction
    2. To minimize bias
  3. Fielding a professional survey

As the CCTRT discovered, fielding an international poll is not cheap, so great care would be taken with the question formation and it might make sense to begin with a single language and region to see how useful the information turns out to be.


The key deliverable would be the results of a professional poll on individual internet user proclivities, concerns and interests.

Technology Support: 

There would need to be a series of Zoom calls to establish the priorities and questions of the survey.

Language Services Support: 

Ideally, discussions of the survey would take place in multiple languages, as would the survey itself.

JH--Support but needs more clarity on whether they are looking for funding for the survey tool or just the analysis and discussions?

Also no mention of captioning which I think is needed here

MH--This is a project that a team from At-Large working with ICANN Org staff could develop for a specific purpose. Not sure if we need to make the request for an ABR or whether we could put forward a proposal for a particular poll and ICANN Org could administer it.

Its all in the purpose of the poll and the questions you ask, but Survey Monkey or one of those tools could do this. Hasn't ICANN already got an account we could use?

JC – Strongly support. JZ has clearly mentioned,

"A polling effort would necessarily include:

  1. Identification of key issues
  2. Professional question construction
    (a) To facilitate demographic distinction
    (b) To minimize bias
  3. Fielding a professional survey."

So, the focus is less about the tool itself but the designing of the poll to address his points 1-3 to best capture the data we need to formulate positions/direction. It is the designing that we require professional support for.

MM – agreeing with JC that this might need breaking down. Just getting experts to design a poll around various topics is no mean feat. 

RH - I think more clarity is needed, also some kind of budget

MH - would we not have the expertise within At-Large and even Comms to design appropriate polls for our purpose?


Submitted to Planning

Involving Youth in At-Large


(Travel support to ICANN Meetings for three young people)

Sebastian Bachollet

Involving Youth in At-Large

Following ATLAS III involvement of some youths in each RALO.
And the difficulty to keep them involved.

In complement of the work done by NextGen & Fellowship programs.

Following the need to have a longer-term engagement of youths in RALOs/At-Large activities.

Adding 3 slots for young to participate to ICANN meetings

One for the region of the meeting and 2 additional


FY 2022

Seattle (AGM) EU - NA - LAC

San Juan (CF) LAC - NA - AF

The Hague (PF) EU - APAC - AF


RALO Support Staff assistance

Zoom Room

Interpretation in 6 UN languages

Printing of documents

Adding 3 slots for young to participate to ICANN meetings

JH--This is really confusing as it seems to be similar to the one ahead of it.

JC – I suspect ICANN will require an explanation of how and why this need is not met through NextGen or Fellowship programs.

MH - agree

MM – agreeing with JC

RH - Focus of Next Gen/Fellowship is not former ATALS III ambassadors. Yes, it can be included in those programs, but they must include our ATALAS III ambassadors

SBT - it is an At-Large specific. NextGen is for young people to learn about ICANN in general. But then it is diffiicult to have them involved into SO/AC. It sii why we suggest to support 3 youngs (if possible already ATLASIII ambassadors)

NA: No: ABS request doesn’t provide travels support to third party.

From Survey: This should rightfully be an ALAC Proposal but needs additional rationale on why it is needed outside of the existing ICANN Fellowship and NextGen programs.

Yes (with revision)

Leadership confirmed ABR is final. 

Submit as ALAC proposal.

Submitted to Planning

At-Large delegation for IGF Global in Poland (Katowice 2021)


(Travel Support for At-Large Delegation to the 2021 Global IGF)

Sebastien Bachollet

At-Large delegation for the IGF in Poland (Katowice 2021)

IGF global were organized in 2017 in Geneva (Switzerland – Europe), in 2018 in Paris (France – Europe), in 2019 in Berlin (Germany – Europe), virtually in 2020 and virtually will be organized in 2021 in Katowice (Poland – Europe).

IGF Global face-to-face is organized for the 4th years in a row in Europe but for the 1st time in Eastern Europe.

To allow the participation of At-Large and organize its presence during Global IGF each of the last 3 years EURALO used one on its crop slot.

This proposal is to leave a crop slot to Euralo and to allow a new opportunity for At-Large to be more involved in Eastern part of Europe (covering both EU and AP).

As ICANN is now very much organized around 3 pillars: ICANN Board, ICANN Org. & ICANN Community.
The global ICANN budget for IGF global must be split equally between the 3 groups: ICANN Board, ICANN Org. & ICANN Community.

Part of the ICANN Community budget will be used by At-Large in the following way.

At-Large delegation proposal for IGF Global in Poland (Katowice 2021):

  • Chair of ALA
  • Chair of Euralo
  • Chair of O&E
  • If more budget is available, the At-Large delegation will add the 5 Co-Chairs of E&O (one per ICANN regions)


At-Large Staff support

Zoom to prepare the face-to-face or/and online meetings

All ICANN supported languages and RTT

Video & infographic production

Request Number - 3 or 8 people

JH--Confused it seems to be also asking for spots for 3 young people. Makes it seem too similar to the earlier one. We should have distinct proposals

MH - Except that this is for getting leaders to the IGF the previous one was for getting youth to  ICANN meetings.

SBT - Not at all JH. It is to have a At-Large leaders delegation to IGF Global.


For the travel request to the IGF 2021 it could be provided if it justified according to the ABR principle: Travel and Project Related Principles:

“21. A travel or sponsorship request will only be granted for ICANN-hosted or ICANN-sponsored events unless it is either (1) consistent with existing ICANN regional engagement strategies, (2) involves internet governance or DNS topics or (3) is otherwise coordinated with the ICANN Stakeholder Engagement Vice President responsible for the region in which the event or activity is held

From Survey: This should be an ALAC Proposal but can be spearheaded by EURALO.

Yes (with revision)

Leadership confirmed ABR is final. 

Submit as ALAC proposal.

Submitted to Planning


RALO Requesting


Person or Group Submitting

Title of Proposal

Request Number


Comments   by FBSC Members

FBSC Notes and Decision



Chadian School of Internet Governance 2021(TdSIG 2021)



Chadian School of Internet Governance 2021(TdSIG 2021)

To organize and deliver the Second edition of Chadian School of Internet Governance (TdSIG). This would be a fourth -day capacity building event to provide 12 sessions in-depth knowledge of Internet Governance (IG) issues to approximately 60 individuals.

TdSIG gives Chadians room to learn more about Internet Governance and subsequently continue to participate in the IG space both locally and regionally.

TdSIG was initiated by HOUSE OF AFRICA in collaboration with ADETIC and others Stakeholders (Moov telecom, Ndjamena University, ICT Minister, Chadian Journalist Union …. ) for the benefit of members of the Chadian Internet community to actively participate in IG and ICANN process as well at the ATLARGE.

This school is to train various stakeholders in Chad and abroad on Internet Governance and related issues.

Also TdSIG is to "bring Chadian End-Users, Chadian youth, Women and professionals in the digital economy and all Stakeholders  closer to the global internet ecosystem", by teaching them the history of the Internet, its technical management, an overview concepts, issues and institutions of Internet governance and Internet architecture, infrastructure, standards and protocols and management of Internet names and numbers and enable them to understand in 

depth the new challenges of Internet governance.

Specific objectives

The specific objectives of the TdSIG are:

  • Strengthen the capacity of stakeholders in the Internet Governance ecosystem in Chad;
  • Make people understand the importance of a Chadian contribution to the world of the Internet
  • Understand the geopolitical challenges of the Internet;
  • Understand the key players in Internet management (ICANN, UIT, Af *, WSIS, ISOC, IANA, RIR, REN, NRI, IGF, IETF ...)
  • More explaining on ICANN Ecosystem and How they can be involve
  • Provide non-traditional actors from different stakeholders with the knowledge necessary to understand the challenges of Internet governance.
  • Provide opportunities to identify and develop national positions on current issues in internet policy and governance.
  • Bridge the gap observed for years in terms of effective participation of Chadians in the policy development processes related to IG on national, regional and international platforms.
  • Give participants practical experience in Internet governance processes;
  • Increase the participation of Chadians in Internet governance events and bodies
  • Show the Internet opportunities to participants
  • Orient projects and actions towards cutting-edge specializations.
  • Facilitate the understanding of the decision-making mechanism in the global Internet ecosystem
  • Strengthen the capacities of participants on the Internet in general and on Internet governance in particular
  • Create a training space for new generations who participate in meetings where the future of the Internet is defined like ICANNA.

We will multiple sessions on topics of relevance &  relation with ICANN Ecosystem and IG :Example---  Introduction to Core Internet; Internet Governance Ecosystem , better understanding of how Domain Name System (DNS) works, cybersecurity, the digital divide ,DNS Abuse for All Stakeholders , IG Perspectives: Social, Political and Cultural ; Evolution of the Multistakeholder Model of ICANN and IG : Past, Present and Future The protection of the personal data of Internet end- users in the age of DNS, ICANN: The Global Internet Regulator and Its Role in Stability of Critical Internet Resources, management of national cctld .td , How to engage in ICANN and IG, Internet Geopolitics,


The TdSIG is planned to be held from September 1-4, 2021


There will be at least sixty (60) participants in the School of Internet Governance coming from the entire Stakeholder (CSOs, Government, academia, technical community, Youth, Women, and Media) and respecting also women gender.

And 5 trainers/speakers from local and outside.


Venue rental for four days, catering and communication, video, t-shirts.

As we will invite 3 Speakers from ICANN we request covering the travel expenses



JH--Support but needs more info on what sessions they are offering?  Think proposal could be strengthened by adding in the proposed sessions and showing how these sessions can build up capacity of users on Domain Name issues

MH--what is the direct relevance to ICANN, domains or other ICANN sections - can this be done online similar to what Glenn and Alfredo have done .

was helpful to get Sebastien's input having attended last year's SIG

JC – I don't object to this proposal on the basis of it "teaching them the history of the Internet, its technical management, an overview concepts, issues and institutions of Internet governance and Internet architecture, infrastructure, standards and protocols and management of Internet names and numbers and enable them to understand in depth the new challenges of Internet governancebut it should be subject to local pandemic protocols. JH's suggestion to strengthen the proposal is a good one.

MM – I think schools of Internet Governance are the best way to draw potential participants into the ICANN ecosystem. So am supportive of the idea with the proviso that the multistakeholder system needs to be highlighted. Also cost seems high for 60 participants

From Survey:bundle all request for Schools of Internet Governance together and send them as one request for ABR, if allocated it will be split among all the applicants.

Yes (with revision)

Submitted to Planning

Digital inclusion, Chadian girls at coding

(F2F Training for secondary students)

Action pour l’Education et la Promotion de la FemmeDigital inclusion, Chadian girls at coding

In collaboration with our partner Wenaklabs, we will organize a discovery and initiation workshop in computer coding for young people aged 13 to 17 for 20 hours spread over eight weeks (between July 1 and June 30, 2022). During this period, more than 50 students (girls and boys) from 10 secondary schools in N'Djamena will be introduced to the use of Scratch software (Scratch is free software) for the creation of video games and the acquisition of knowledge. basics on making cartoons. During this workshop, participants will show their ingenuity by creating their own fun animations. The main lesson learned from this initiative lies in the immensity of the potentialities of adolescents who lie dormant for lack of an awakening and technological reinforcement mechanism. AEPF-Tchad and its partners will very soon initiate during the school holidays, a series of advanced training courses on computer programming languages ​​at the service of pupils and students of N'Djamena, and will lead with them practical projects allowing them to create the start-up of the future. We will ensure that more than half of the beneficiaries are girls. These girls are going to be role models for others. We will rent a room with computers and internet for the training. We will call on other technical partners for the success of the project. Images and activity reports will be shared throughout the ICANN community and on social media. The beneficiaries' productions will also be shared and the activities covered by the media.

The direct beneficiaries of our project are the pupils (girls and boys) of secondary schools in N'Djamena. They are young people between 13 and 17 years old.


Venue rental, experts, per diem for trainers, translation, travel,  catering, post-meeting analysis, etc. 



JH--Interesting project but unclear what is the connection to ICANN. Will build up ICT skills which is good but not an ICANN activity, Great program for ISOC Foundation or other more broad foundations

MH-- does meet an SDG goal with regards to education and training but not relevant to ICANN or its mission.

JC – Agree with JH and MH. It is nearly impossible to make a case for how this proposal falls under ICANN's remit.

MM – agree with comments above. Great project but not close enough to ICANN's remit.


National Forum on the use of Social Networks

(F2F Training on social networks)

ISOC MALINational Forum on the use of Social Networks

National Forum on the Use of Social Networks. The National Forum on the Use of Social Networks is an initiative of the Malian Chapter of the Internet Society (ALS AFRALO) undertaken following the various problems it has observed in the use of social networks in Mali. 

The ICT and Internet revolution has contributed to a new civic life. Exchanges between individuals on social networks have reached a level that deserves special attention and a new policy of use in our country. Today in Mali, everything is put on social networks: civil status facts; administrative documents, some even confidential, etc.

Worse still, every day we witness the publication on these networks of images, audio or videos of personalities and ordinary citizens with the sole aim of harming them.

In view of this situation, ISOC MALI has initiated a first project "called Debaters" which is in its second edition and which aims at putting the university and secondary schools in a contradictory debate on topics related to the protection of privacy on social networks. This forum is the logical continuation of this project.

If the debaters project targeted the majority of young users of social networks, the forum includes both users and decision-makers.


August 2021


Venue Rental, Catering, COVID-provisions, training materials



JH--Support, but highlight again the specific ICANN related issues you will teaching. Without this, hard to see how the Board would agree to fund this over other proposals that are ICANN specific.  Also should provide RTT as well as interpretation

 MH-- focuses on content and that is not in ICANN's remit

JC – It is very difficult to make a case for how this proposal, as written, falls squarely under ICANN's remit.

MM - agree with comments above that this is outside of ICANN's remit


2nd edition of Malian School on Internet Governance MaliSIG


 ISOC MALI2nd edition of Malian School on Internet Governance MaliSIG

Project Summary


Internet governance questions the stability and cohesiveness of the digital society and as such is a political, economic and cultural issue. It is worth recalling that the Internet, according to the statistics of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), mobilizes more than 4 billion users worldwide. Internet governance is becoming more and more important in public opinion. The more modern society depends on the Internet, the more relevant Internet governance issues will be. Far from being a matter for the few, Internet Governance concerns us all, to a greater or lesser degree. Internet governance is obviously more interesting for those who are deeply versed in cyberspace, whether through e-business or simply networking on Facebook. However, it has a broader scope. Government officials, the military, lawyers, diplomats and others who are involved either in the provision of public services or in preserving the stability of public order are also concerned. Internet governance, and in particular the protection of privacy and human rights, is an important issue for civil society activists and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). One of the main objectives of Internet governance is to create an enabling environment 

for development, which would allow better use of the Internet as a driver of development. In order to better understand the issues related to Internet governance and to achieve these objectives, Internet governance schools have been created around the world. These schools are regional or national. In Africa this school is called the African School on Internet Governance (AfriSIG) which is a multi-stakeholder training initiative co-organized by the Association for Progressive Communications (APC) and the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD) that aims to give Africans from diverse sectors and stakeholder groups the opportunity to gain the knowledge and confidence to participate effectively in Internet governance processes and debates at national, regional and global levels. It contributes to increasing the diversity, scope, quality, and effectiveness of participation in Internet governance in Africa by creating a space for multi-stakeholder learning and dialogue. The Malian School Initiative on Internet Governance (MaliSIG) is part of the same logic. MaliSIG's vision is to contribute to the development of open and inclusive Internet governance at the national level influenced by African perspectives and good practices from other nations.

Project Summary

Internet governance is a multidimensional activity carried out by several actors from different sectors.  For this purpose, the actors need proven knowledge adapted to this governance. This session of the Ecole Ma-lienne training course on Internet Governance, which is an initiative of the Malian Chapter of the Internet Society, is the first in Mali. The goal of this training session is to give participants from various sectors and stakeholder groups the opportunity to gain the knowledge and confidence to participate effectively in Internet governance processes and debates at the national, sub-regional, and international levels.

The training will last 5 days and will take place face-to-face with national and international expert speakers. Four (04) themes composed of eleven (11) modules will be given during these 5 days. The expected results of this training include the creation of an innovative framework for discussion and exchange of views on the contributions of each of the stakeholders to the resolution of current issues of Internet development in Mali and the training of 50 people from various sectors and disciplines.

Overall Objectives 

The overall objective is to give Malians from various sectors and stakeholder groups the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and confidence necessary to participate effectively in Internet governance processes and debates at the national, sub-regional and international levels.

Specific objectives

The specific objectives of the first MaliSIG training are :

  • to strengthen the existing capacity of a wide range of stakeholders in the field of IM in Mali in all sectors;
  • to provide an innovative framework for discussion and exchange of views on the contributions of each of the stakeholders to the resolution of current issues related to the development and use of the Internet in Mali;
  • to give participants practical experience in IM processes through an internship that involves playing a role on a current topic through multi-stakeholder negotiations;
  • encourage learning and application of skills and expertise at the local level.


Given the covid19 pandemic, the format of MaliSIG 2nd will be hybrid like the first edition in 2020. Last year, when the pandemic crisis was in full swing and there was no possibility of travel, we involved international experts by videoconference.

We will consider the same format this year but if possible, we would like to have the physical participation of experts like Aziz Hilali, Tijani Ben Jemaa etc., to raise the level of our school.

We will also make a live broadcast on our communication channels (, through zoom whatever the format (physical or by videoconference).


ISOC MALI, (ALS Afralo) intends to make this workshop a recurring activity that it organizes every year in October 2021, bringing together all the actors of the digital ecosystem in Mali.


Renting of venue for 5 days  - $1 500 USD

Lunch / refreshment for 5 days - $2 500 USD

Training materials - $500 USD

COVID19 provisions - $400 USD

Total -  $4 900 USD

JH--Good Proposal, but add in a summary of why this is a particular interest to ICANN, such as particular ICANN related issues being discussed.

Should also provide RTT

MH-- agree with JH The multistakeholder model and some ICANN related issue needs to be incorporated into the application. Also in today's environment, an online version needs to be proposed and if F2f is possible then a hybrid model could be implemented.

JC – Agree with JH and MH in respect of link to ICANN and being subject to local pandemic protocols.

MM - agree with previous comments. Cost seems reasonable for 50 participants

From Survey: Worthy of support but requires revision to strengthen (i.e. state more explicitly) a connection to ICANN, DNS.

Yes (with Revisions)Submitted to Planning

Awareness session followed by debate in the working-class neighborhoods of Bamako on the advantages and dangers of using the Internet

(F2F awareness raising on dangers of the Internet)

Association pour la promotion des femmes par les TIC MUSODEVAwareness session followed by debate in the working-class neighborhoods of Bamako on the advantages and dangers of using the Internet

Nowadays, the internet is widespread everywhere in Mali, although the cost of use is still high for the middle class.

This is a good thing, because no one can question the immense mine of opportunities behind it, but it has to be said that children, young people and parents are constantly exposed to cybercrime and harassment on the internet.

It is in this context that the association for the promotion of women through ICT for Musodev, wishes to organize awareness-raising sessions in two working-class districts and three peripheral districts of Bamako.

The objective of these sessions is on the one hand to draw the attention of these young people through debates on the advantages as well as the dangers linked to the internet and on the other hand to help parents to put in place measures to protect young people. Students will be also equipped on the ICANN ecosystem and how to get involved.

For a pilot phase, this project will concern two working-class districts and three peripheral districts of Bamako. It may well be spread over the entire territory.


November 2021


Communications, logistics



JH--Support, but highlight the ICANN related issues you will be training the youths on

MH--agree with JH, there must be a connection with ICANN eg the impacts of abuse of the DNS on internet users. General dangers of the internet are not in ICANNs remit

JC – Agree with JH and MH in that this proposal needs to address a stronger link to ICANN's remit apart from just "Students will be also equipped on the ICANN ecosystem and how to get involved."  JH's earlier suggestion of the proposed curriculum could apply to this proposal.

MM – agree with previous comments. There needs to be an ICANN connection

From Survey: Worthy of support but requires revision to strengthen the connection to ICANN, DNS (i.e. elaborate on how "Students will be also equipped on the ICANN ecosystem and how to get involved")




(Virtual Tanzania SIG)

Jabhera Matogoro

Tanzania Community Networks Summit is designed to accommodate technical workshop for Tanzania Community Networks Operator’s Group (tzcNOG), Tanzania Community Networks School of Internet Governance and Annual General Meeting for Tanzania Community Networks Alliance members. It is a localized event similar to African Internet Summit only designed for community networks operators in Tanzania.


Annual event scheduled 23 – 27 August, 2021


Human Resources and infrastructure, web streaming,  admin assistance, Sign interpreter for hearing impaired participants  (RTT?)



JH--Support. Glad to see RTT and Sign language support here

MH--but what is the relevance to ICANN? - incorporate multistakeholder approach to an ICANN-related NOG issue or issues.

JC – Any other sponsors involved?

MM - agree with MH. No clear connection with ICANN


Members Force 1: Training and awareness on DNS and personal data protection in Togo


(F2F capacity building on DNS Abuse and privacy)

INTIC4DEVMembers Force 1: Training and awareness on DNS and personal data protection in Togo

This project will be a first in Togo in terms of promoting ICANN. It consists of capacity building and awareness of journalists and communicators in Togo on the topic of DNS (Domain Name System) abuse and the protection of personal data, in particular in this period of the Covid-19 pandemic. The activity will contribute to the promotion of the law on the protection of personal data adopted by the Togolese National Assembly on October 29, 2019, therefore recently and the promotion of ICANN works too. We named our activity MembersForce1.

MembersForce1 will allow in a short term:

-  to make ICANN and its role in the Internet governance ecosystem well known to a target audience of local communicators and journalists;

-  it will make it possible to train this target audience on abuses linked to the DNS, in particular those linked to personal data and their protection

- finally, carry out one of the recommendations of the 7th edition of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) in Togo, held on December 14, 2019 in Lomé, the theme of which was: "Internet governance and data protection in Togo" 

The foregoing necessarily requires adequate information and training of the Togolese population on the issue of DNS abuse and personal data protection; to communicate widely around the Law No. 2019-014 of October 29, 2019 relating to the protection of personal data.

The deliberate choice of the target audience of journalists and communicators is to facilitate a rapid 

multiplicationof these notions in the community of end users since the government of the country, Togo, has recently announced the launching a process of digital transformation of its society.

General objective:  

Make the Internet end-users community in Togo more effective in shaping Internet governance policies.

Specific objectives 

 -  Build the capacities of 20 Togolese journalists on the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and on the issue of DNS abuses related to the protection of personal data, in particular in this time of global pandemic due to Covid-19

- Contribute to the promotion of the law on the protection of personal data in Togo in this Digital Transformation era.

- Build the capacities of the Internet ecosystem multistakeholders.


 - Organization of a 2-day face-to-face training workshop for 20 journalists / communicators.

- Organization of a one-day (online) workshop for approximately 100 people to promote the law on the protection of personal data in Togo.


One-time  activity: 7 to 9 September 2021

General theme of the project:  DNS abuse and personal data protection in Togo.


1) Introduction to DNS and DNS abuse

2) Introduction to the concept of personal data protection.

3) Introduction to Internet Governance.


Logistical support for f2f

ZOOM US for the online meeting

Web streaming of the both training sessions (F2F and online)

Translator to translate all the documents of the project from French to English.

Sign interpreter for hearing impaired participants.



JH--Support, but a bit confused. Is it an in-person event or a virtual event.  Should also include RTT and language support

MH--I suggest that you prepare an online course and incorporate it into a mixed on and off-line course if you can attend F2F

JC – What does "Logistical support for f2f" mean? As in funds requested to only support the "2-day face-to-face training workshop for 20 journalists / communicators"?

MM – Trying to fit too many topics in one frame. Is this one event or more. I like the idea of educating journalists and communicators but there seems to be a lot more in here.

From Survey: Revision, seems expensive, 2 day workshop for DNS?; Protecting the Internet’s Unique Identifier: What if the IGF does not approve this workshop, is there a plan B?; VSIG Translation: What is the intention of this translations, there are SIG in different region/countries in the local language. Will they collide?

Yes (with revisions)Submitted to Planning

Translation tool for French (TRANSBOT)


AFRALO ChairTranslation tool for French (TRANSBOT)

The AFRALO community is widely diverse and apart from English language, French is the next language that is widely spoken within our members both on our mailing list and other communication media. In view of this, there is need to better communicate to our members hence a need for some form of language translation on our mailing list that will allow messages sent in English to be translated to French on the list and vise-versa.

JH--Strongly support

MH--agree, strongly support

JC – Strongly support

MM – strongly support

SBT - I support also but hope it can be used in all the region where there are French speaking countries/groups

YesSubmitted to Planning

3 x additional  CROP slots to enable 3 members of the APRALO Leadership to attend and participate in the Pacific IGF in Fiji (6-11 Sept, 2021).

(Travel Support)

3 x additional  CROP slots to enable 3 members of the APRALO Leadership to attend and participate in the Pacific IGF in Fiji (6-11 Sept, 2021).

PICISOC (an At-Large ALS) proposes to hold a 2 day IGF alongside an APTLD Annual meeting and training week. The Pacific participants will be invited to attend a half-day session of the APTLD meeting. The other scheduled times will consist of sessions provided by At-Large, PICISOC, Internet NZ, APNIC,  This is the first Pacific IGF event where an application has been made for APRALO Leadership to attend and to participate. The three participants would include Maureen Hilyard, the ALAC Chair and Pacific representative on the APRALO Leadership Team, Satish Babu, the APRALO Chair and member of AP Youth Leadership Training events over several years, and Lianna Galstyan, APRALO Vice Chair who is also a member of the APTLD and 2021 ALAC Shadow Liaison to the ccNSO.


3 x additional CROP slots for the three APRALO Leaders

JH--Not clear how this differs from the earlier proposal as it seems to be the same topic. The Fellowship and travel should be on the same proposal and not two separate ones

 MH-- The previous application for fellowship support has been withdrawn due to GSE funding. This is asking for 3 additional CROPS (not touching APRALO's  current allocation which should remain for any catchup outreach that may be possible f2f, in other parts of the region during FY22)

MM – confusing funding crossovers here – but would support if appropriate

RH - The previous ABR was eliminated, this should address most of the concerns above

From Survey: bundle all travel support requests together and frame it on demanding the increase in the CROP budget as per the APRALO request.

From Survey: Support in principle if it's possible that CROP could be expanded through an ABR.

Yes Submitted to Planning

Protecting the Internet’s Unique Identifier System in an Age of Disinformation

(Series of three events: 2 online and 1 at the 2021 Global IGF -  including administrative and travel support)

Joanna Kulesza, EURALOProtecting the Internet’s Unique Identifier System in an Age of Disinformation

The aim of this additional budget request is to support ongoing activities aimed at awareness  raising and capacity building on the global impact of platforms governance and disinformation among the ICANN community  and end-users, to signpost new developments in this highly topical area and to provide inputs for ICANN policy recommendations.

We propose to  run a  series of three events  investigating  the impact of disinformation actors on the Internet’s unique identifier system and the response by public authorities and private actors. Disinformation is a geopolitical issue involving  coordinated activity, often across borders. Disinformation actors target the Internet’s unique identifier system, often  with malicious activity. We seek to explore whether this activity might fall into the non-exclusive catalogue of DNS Abuse. Enforcement actions against disinformation may seek assistance from the ICANN community.  How do these factors impact on the Internet ecosystem and what concerns are raised by the users? In this context, how can ICANN protect the Internet as an open and interconnected system?   

The proposed agenda targets both: advancing the multistakeholder model and a better representation of end user interests. It also falls directly into the global geopolitical discussions around platform regulation and their impact onto the existing Internet governance model. The project will  seek to identify end user interests as a mean to advancing the multistakeholder model and, supporting the global public interest. It will deepen understanding of how disinformation actors operate, and how enforcement actions are implemented, and in that regard it   will contribute to ICANN’s strategic objective of addressing the geopolitics affecting ICANN’s mission and policy development.

We will plan and run a series of three events. We will invite speakers from the ICANN community  to address the issues and  share their  experiences. They will include registries and users that have been affected, as well as external actors who could include law enforcement authorities,  regulatory bodies, and external experts.  Two online events will be culminated by a face-to-face meeting during the IGF planned for December of 2021 in Katowice, Poland.

A series of 2 online events (webinars)  in the autumn of 2021, ,  and a communication plan building towards a face-to-face event (panel discussion)   during IGF 2020.


  • Two online events (webinars) between June and December (realistically  between September – December) to identify the problems and explore solutions 
  • A communication plan building towards a capacity-building face-to-face event during IGF 2020.
  • Rapporteur’s report on the three sessions.


  • Administrative  support
  • Liaise with IGF;
  • Manage communications
  • with ICANN users and other relevant stakeholders (email shots, social media)
  • Domain / DNS seizures;
  • Registry perspective;
  • End user community representatives;
  • Experts on disinformation activity;  
  • Communications – email shots and social media. Promotional web page. Event registration.
  • Web conferencing facilities and technical manager for webinars using Zoom or similar conferencing platform.
  • Web streaming depending on facilities available at IGF.
  • Travel support for panelists’ travel to venue, and accommodation, assuming that travel will be back to normal by December.

    Support for organiser travel ( London – Poland), accommodation ( 3 nights),  per diem expenses.



JH--Support  but should be scaled down. Ask is too high. Also if the panel is not chosen by the IGF what happens?  We need a Plan B as if the topic is not chosen than this falls apart. Need commitment that it will occur regardless of whether the topic is chosen

MH--dependent on acceptance by global IGF (but requires that the two online sessions take place)

MM - valuable proposal but very expensive. Not clear to me if such a proposal would normally fall in this ABR category

SBT - can we add?

Language Services Support:

All ICANN supported languages and RTT

MH- "for the two online At-Large sessions?"


Protecting the Internet’s Unique Identifier System in an Age of Disinformation”

Seems this ABR was applied in an earlier year because some parts are not updated as of “ during IGF 2020.”

My opinion to provide partial support of less than $5000 because in administering online event doesn’t need much in a volunteer environment if the Zoom platform is provided.  As for the travel request to the IGF 2021 it could be provided if it justified according to the ABR principle: Travel and Project Related Principles:

“21. A travel or sponsorship request will only be granted for ICANN-hosted or ICANN-sponsored events unless it is either (1) consistent with existing ICANN regional engagement strategies, (2) involves internet governance or DNS topics or (3) is otherwise coordinated with the ICANN Stakeholder Engagement Vice President responsible for the region in which the event or activity is held.  “

JK: happy to see this scaled down - we'll scale it down to whatever is possible with the approved funding. The back up plan (should the panel not get selected) is for us to host this during/back to back with the UoL/GigaNet event in Lodz which is already budgeted for from external resources. We're trying to build upon/ multiply the effects of other initiatives already scheduled and get AtLarge involved, advancing end user involvement. Thanks for considering!

From Survey: This should be an ALAC Proposal but can be spearheaded by EURALO.

Yes  (with  revisions)

Submitted to Planning


Internet-of-Things (IoT) and the Increasing Governance Challenges Ahead


(Workshop at the 2021 Global IGF)

EURALO (Wale Bakare)Internet-of-Things (IoT) and the Increasing Governance Challenges Ahead

This is a request for support of a EURALO Workshop at the 2021 IGF.

The IoT evolution includes a broad range of industries, including the automotive, finance, consumer electronic devices, retail services, manufacturing, agriculture and other sectors important for sustainable development of the humanity. Central to the solutions and deployments of IoT is unified communication. The unified communication relies heavily on the All-IP-Based scheme for end-to-end delivery of IoT solutions.

All-IP-Based Deployment: what about the Internet architecture evolution? All things Internet rely on implementation and deployment as a set of unified protocols, numbering and addressing. What is the role of numbering and naming in IoT environment?

Workshop's themes:

- what is IoT, how to move the public perception from “smart coffee machine” to industry 4.0?

- evolution of IoT protocols and networks and impact on governance

- IoT (small and big) data parsing, building behavior models and future risks to privacy of individuals

- cross border IoT (IIoT) data exchange and role of governments

- Critical infrastructure: bikes vs. nuclear plants. How do we manage critical objects? Do we really want to connect everything to the Internet?

- IP-less communications: All-IP-Based is not a religion, but business approach. At what conditions is there no need to All-IP-Based devices?

- Proprietary protocols and war of standards. ISO vs RFC, history repeats, or lessons learned?

Type of Activity:

Online workshops (2 or 3) to raise awareness and understanding of the issue.

Preparation of presentation documents (in respective language) for national or sub-regional IGF

And a final EURALO Workshop at EURODIG22

At-Large Outreach and Engagement

It is expected to be a recurring activity at regional and global meetings and/or activities, as the discussion about IoT is brought to ICANN.


RALO Support Staff assistance

Zoom Room

Interpretation in 6 UN languages

MH-is what we are accessing now the updated version?? 

JH--Support  but confused, is this only a virtual event. If so, than what are they asking for?  Also if the panel is not chosen by the IGF what happens?  We need a Plan B as if the topic is not chosen than this falls apart. Need commitment that it will occur regardless of whether the topic is chosen

MM - no indication of cost. 

SBT - Staff told Euralo not to put cost
Concerning JH comments, we try to take them into account in the enhanced proposal.
Will be sent soon.

NA: My opinion No because the objective doesn’t fall into ICANN remits but more to RIRs

MH - if the session is accepted and the IGF goes virtual, don't they provide the zoom room and assistance? Not sure about interpretation but I assume so.

From Survey:  This should be an ALAC Proposal but can be spearheaded by EURALO.

Yes (with  Revisions)

Leadership confirmed ABR is final. 

Submitted to Planning

Diversity in ICANN Leadership bodies (Part I)


(Workshop at either 2021 Global IGF or EuroDIG2022 as well as Research and Study)

EURALODiversity in ICANN Leadership bodies

The diversity includes a broad range of data. To enhance diversity, we need to be able to collect those data.

It will be useful to gather the data both from an historical point of view and from a current and future situation.

All the ICANN leadership bodies can be concerned but the first one to be discuss (as a large part the data are already collected and in the last mile to be analyzed) can/must be the Board of ICANN.

We have 2 possibilities (I will privilege the 2)

1/ In future steps (specifically going to a workshop during 2021 IGF or EURODIG22) we will need to take into account other leadership bodies of other Internet Governance structure (Internet Society, IETF, IGF MAG…).

2/ Additional steps are to gather data from other leadership bodies of ICANN
It can be linked with the work that SO/AC will have to undertake regarding continuous improvement proposed by ATRT3 (and supported by ICANN Board)

Type of Activity:

Workshops’ themes:

- what is Diversity (based on the WS2 ccwg-ICANN accountability document)?

- what are the data that need to be collected?

- evolution of diversity in various ICANN leadership groups

- how to enhance diversity in ICANN leadership groups?

- role of the NomCom to enhance diversity?

Type of Activity:




Online Workshops (monthly) for a small task force

EURALO/At Large/otherSO/AC joint face-to-face workshop at one/each ICANN7x (FY2022)


Online monthly Workshops

EURALO/At Large/otherSO/AC joint 

Cross community face-to-face workshop at one/each ICANN7x (FY2022)

A first online workshop to launch the track but it is expected to be a recurring activity at ICANN meetings.

But the output of this work can be also used for national, regional and global meetings and/or activities such as IGF


At-Large staff support


Pierre Bonis (AFNIC)

Asha Hemrajani (ex-ICANN Board member)

Avri Doria (ICANN Board member)

Olga Cavalli (ICANN-GAC - ISOC Board)

Sébastien Bachollet (EURALO - ex-ICANN Board member and ex-ALAC)

Zoom for the taskforce and to prepare the face-to-face or/and online meetings

All ICANN supported languages and RTT

Expertise in data processing

Production of presentations (to show and explain the data results)

Video & infographic production

Printing of documents

Possibly one expert for data analysis

Possibly one expert for diversity

And 2 people to IGF 2021 or EURODIG2022

MH- is this attached version the enhanced proposal?

JH--Support  but should be scaled down. Also if the panel is not chosen by the IGF what happens?  We need a Plan B as if the topic is not chosen than this falls apart. Need commitment that it will occur regardless of whether the topic is chosen

Also not clear on what monetary contributions they are looking for

JC – Not clear why this is (1) EURALO specific and (2) tied to 2021 Global IGF or EuroDIG 2022 (appears to be a distraction).

RH - JC, it is one or the other, as plan B if not selected by IGF21

SBT will take those comments into an enhance proposal.


The concept of the workshop is relevant but not clear what and where is the financial support goes for.

If it is for travel request, it can go through CROP

From Survey: This should rightfully be an ALAC Proposal.

Yes (with  revision)

Leadership confirmed ABR is final. 

Submitted to Planning

Support participation of individual users in EURALO


(Staff support to manage the European Individuals Association)

Roberto Gaetano (EURALO)Support participation of individual users in EURALO

An association has been created to provide a home for the individual users in EURALO. This association has now grown and has more than 60 members. And with the mobilization plan being developed it will continue to grow.

The need is to support:

·   the promotion of the association in order to enlarge the number of participating individual users;

·  the development and the management of specific tools developed by the association:

o    Website

o    Welcome package for

§  involving new individuals

§  helping newcomers to drive faster into the EURALO work, to be a more effective and active member, as well as helps to navigate the community and the policy development process

Communication, Information, Engagement and Outreach; Meetings.


The outcomes are grouped in the three areas indicated below:

  1. Understanding of the ecosystem by individual users
  • support individual users in becoming familiar with the different bodies that are part of the ICANN ecosystem
  • coordinate the relationships with other stakeholder groups, including but not limited to other RALOs;
  • participate in the EURALO activities, support and promote EURALO;
  • evaluate participation in activities outside ICANN related to Internet Governance, including, but not limited to, local and global IGFs.
  1. Contribution of individual users to the policy development process
  • provide information about the policy development process and the activities of the different working groups;
  • foster discussion among individual users about the policy issues;
  • support individual users in participating in the policy development process.
  1. Involvement of more individual users
  • promote circulation of information about individual users activities;

further develop the individual users participation and outreach to new individual users.


EURALO Support Staff

Zoom for teleconferences

Web site development and support – the web site uses WordPress

Web site should be translated to allow 3 languages to be used (English, Spanish and French – and if possible Russian)

Printing of Brochures (welcome package)

Production of presentations

Video & infographic production

JH--This is really not an ABR. They are just looking for staff support. Should be just sent to the GSE and have them support it.  Not clear on why it is here and not a request to the GSE

MM – JH has a point

MH - we already have staff support for RALO membership and other needs

SBT: Keep cool. If it is thee wrong place tell us where is the right place.
It might be true, that staff is supporting indiv end-users and here EIUA but I want to be sure that the financing of the following will be possible: maintenance of the EIUA web site 


the cost of the hosting of the site

Specific support for the welcome package

From Survey: Support although staff must check and clarify if this has to be an ABR

Yes. (with  revisions)

Leadership confirmed ABR is final. 

Submitted to Planning

Foro LAC Digital (Sociedad Civil y Estado)

LAC Digital Forum (Civil Society and Government


Sergio Salinas Porto, LACRALO

Foro LAC Digital (Sociedad Civil y Estado)

LAC Digital Forum (Civil Society and Government

LAC DIGITAL is proposed as a space for dialogue and proposals for Civil Society, DNS Ecosystem and States to expose the most recent challenges facing the Internet ecosystem within Latin America and the Caribbean. How to participate and influence the Policy Development Processes.

It will be developed in three (3) days (August-2021) where the Technical areas, Policies and ICT Legislation, Impact on Users will be addressed.

Each day there will be two (2) Thematic Panels (am / pm) with a duration of two (2) hours each..

One time activity

*  Evolve policy development and governance processes, structures and meetings to be more accountable, inclusive, efficient, effective and responsive;

  • Promote ICANN’s role and multi-stakeholder approach;
  • Encourage engagement with the existing Internet governance ecosystem at national, regional and international levels;
  • Participate in the evolution of a global, trusted, including multi-stakeholder Internet governance ecosystem that addresses Internet issues;
  • Develop and implement a global public interest framework bounded by ICANN’s mission;
  • Promote understanding of the complexities related to Internet Governance and its importance in the future of the Internet.


At-Large Structures (ALSs) accredited within LACRALO and all Regional Internet Users from all levels.  Civil Society, Technical Community, Goverments within de Latin America and Caribbean Islands.


* Report LAC Digital - Conclusions. 

* An individual appraisal from each ALS representatives attending the forum expressing which area will be attending within ICANN Ecosystem and the name of a new member to include.


Zoom Management

Some topics that can be addressed by speakers; pandemic response in the telecommunications and ISP industry, scalability, crisis communications, education, science and technology popularization and health communication

Zoom Platform


Social Media Manager


In order to foresee a favorable scenario for the Users' Meeting during the LAC Digital, we request the support for air transport of 4 members of LACRALO in order to represent the four sub-regions in a LAC country (to be defined) that fills the best conditions during FY22.

JH--Again, a bit unclear why this is here as an ABR when it is looking for items that can be supported by Staff and the GSE.  also they should ask for RTT as well

MM – ICANN is  well highlighted in this proposed meeting. From that perspective, a worthwhile proposal

MH - this application is requesting staff support for their training session at the ICANN meeting. If it is part of our  At-Large ICANN meeting programme it does not need to be an ABR - what they are asking for would get support from At-Large staff. Suggest reducing  number of travel support slots to 4 representing each region. 

Yes (with revisions)

Revisions incorporated. 

Submitted to Planning

VSIG Translation


Prof. Alfredo Calderon and Glenn McKnightVirtual School of Internet Governance 

Delivery of extensive online training on Internet Governance  in English, French and Spanish


$6,000 for translation

JH--Strongly support. Helps provide capacity building on icann related issues to the community

MH - support - their student base is expanding already - the additional languages will help. This is a token contribution.

JC – To be fair, proposal should explicitly refer to its curriculum and a link to ICANN (even if it has been demonstrated).

MM – SIGs are our best bet for bringing in new members. This one is attracting many participants from outside of Europe/North America – otherwise hard to reach. JC's comment is fair – the link should be clarified

NA: “Virtual School of Internet Governance ( VSIG)” Since ICANN always co-sponsors schools of IG, I don’t see any reason for not supporting the translation of the material of VSIG unless sponsoring such programs goes through the Global Stakeholder Engagement budget. However, the proposal needs to elaborate on the material to be translated, because VSIG did announce the delivery of VSIG for its third edition in English, Spanish and French.

From Survey: 

To be fair, proposal should explicitly refer to its curriculum and a link to ICANN (even if it has been demonstrated)

From Survey: Tanzania community network summit needs to articulate an ICANN component. Same for the VSIG proposal. There is an ICANN component built in -- it just needs to be stated

Yes (with revisions). Submitted to Planning


  • No labels