ALAC  Teleconference

Meeting Number: AL.ALAC/CC.0719/1

Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2019                                    

Time: 16:00 - 18:00 UTC (For the time in various timezones click here)

Zoom Room:

RTT Link: []

Interpretation Available: Yes ( RU, ES & FR  - Simultaneous)

How can I participate in this meeting? English Conference ID = 1638

¿Cómo se puede participar en la teleconferencia? Spanish Conference ID = 1738

Comment participer a cette teleconference?  French Conference ID = 1838

Russian Conference ID =  2138

AF: Hadia Elminiawi , Seun Ojedeji (apology),  Tijani Ben Jemaa

AP: Holly Raiche (apology) , Kaili KanMaureen Hilyard

EUR: Bastiaan Goslings, Joanna Kulesza, Sébastien Bachollet 

LAC: Bartlett Morgan, Humberto CarrascoRicardo Holmquist 

NA: Javier Rúa-Jovet (apology) , John LapriseMarita Moll 

Liaisons: Andrei Kolesnikov (SSAC)Barrack Otieno (ccNSO), Cheryl Langdon-Orr (GNSO), Yrjö Lansipuro (GAC) 


EN:  Abdulkarim Oloyede, Olivier Crepin-Leblond (audio only),Daniel Nanghaka (audio only), Pastor Peters Omoragbon, Alan Greenberg, Priyatosh Jana, Shreedeep Rayamajhi, Dave Kissoondoyal, Carlos Raul Gutierrez, Isaac Maposa, Laura Margolis, Ali Almeshal, Bastiaan Gosling, Bikram Shrestha, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, John More, Judith Hellerstein, Justine Chew, Lianna Galstyan, Michel Tchonang, Nadira Al-Araj, Natalia Filina, Nkem Nweke, Sonigtu Ekpe, Vrikson Acosta, Raymond Mamattah, Remmy Nweke, Rudi Daniel, Leon Sanchez, 


FR: Ibtissam Kaifouf


Staff: Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, Evin Erdoğdu, Yeşim Nazlar, Claudia Ruiz

Apologies: Javier Rua-Jovet, Rasmata Compaore, Alfredo Calderon, Seun Ojedeji , Satish Babu, Glenn McKnight, Olevie Kouami, Holly Raiche


ES: Veronica and Paula

FR: Aurelie and Isabelle

RU: Maya and Ekaterina

Call Management: Claudia Ruiz

Action Items: EN

Adopted Motions: EN

Decisions: EN

Recording: EN, ES, FR, RU

Transcript: EN, ES, FR, RU

Zoom Chat: EN

A G E N D A:   

Standing Agenda Items

1. Roll Call and Apologies and Confirmation of Quorum– Staff (2 minutes)

2. Welcome, Welcome to Incoming ALAC members, Aim of the Meeting, Adoption of Agenda and Call for Any Other Business or other Amendments – Maureen Hilyard (3 minutes)

RegionRALO ResultNomCom Result
AFRALODave KissoondoyalAbdulkarim Oloyede


Maureen HilyardJustine Chew
EURALOMatthias HudobnikNot applicable
LACRALOSylvia Herlein Leite Carlos Raul Gutierrez
NARALOJonathan ZuckNot applicable

3. Review of ALAC Action Items from 30 July call - Maureen Hilyard (0 minutes)

4. ALAC Policy Development Activities - Evin Erdoğdu, Olivier Crepin-Leblond and Jonathan Zuck (20 minutes)

At-Large Policy Resources:

At-Large Capacity Building Workshop - An Introduction to Policy Development at ICANN
2019 ALAC Policy Comments & Advice
At-Large Policy Summary
At-Large Executive Summary page
Multistakeholder Advice Development graphic
Consolidated Policy Working Group (CPWG)

Recently Ratified by the ALAC (Since last ALAC Monthly Meeting)

Proposed Definition of Name Collisions and Scope of Inquiry for the Name Collisions Analysis Project
The ALAC considers the issue of Name Collision in the DNS an area of importance for the minimization of unintended consequences for Internet end users. The ALAC appreciates the need to have a Name Collision definition for purposes of scoping the inquiry for the Name Collision Analysis Project (NCAP), in order for the NCAP Study One to be manageable and on point, and therefore supports the Proposed Definition of Name Collision and Scope of Inquiry for the Name Collision Analysis Project of 1 July 2019. Of particular importance to us are:

(1) The recognition and inclusion of Type B situations (ie. B. In scope but not intended to be the subject of data studies) which provides built-in peripheral consideration of such situations with decision for examination through data analysis at a later stage if a compelling case were to arise within Study One; and

(2) The possibility of amending the Definition of Name Collision and Scope of Inquiry for the Name Collision Analysis Project should further pertinent information come to light at a later stage either through the ongoing work of the NCAP DG, NCAP Working Party and/or input obtained from the party/ies eventually contracted to undertake NCAP Study One.  

Evolving the Governance of the Root Server System
The ALAC strongly supports the overall proposal and appreciates the opportunity to comment. The RSS, according to RRSAC37, needs to evolve so it remains a reliable, resilient, and sustainable service in the face of increasing traffic and cyberattacks. However, the ALAC finds it difficult to accept that ICANN is not considered a primary stakeholder with regard to the RSS, given that the Domain Name System and its reliable and trusted operation is a prime reason for ICANN’s existence. The ALAC also encourages that Internet users, the ultimate user and beneficiary of the DNS, should be listed as having a stake in the existence and evolution of the RSS.

The financial model is also of some concern to the ALAC. No figures are provided to allow even order-of-magnitude estimates. It is surely time that we begin to understand exactly what level of funding will be required and hypothesize on where such funding will come from.

Draft Financial Assumptions & Projections and Operating Initiatives for the development of Fiscal Years 2021-2025 Operating & Financial Plan
The ALAC considered the Draft Financial Assumptions, Projections and Operating Initiatives, and offered comments on the following topics among others: 

  • The ALAC is not optimistic that Financial Assumptions A (Roll-out of New gTLDs) and B (New Business Models – Geographic gTLDs and Brand gTLDs) will be highly successful vehicles to new revenue. Although the first round of new gTLDs did bring in considerable revenue, the ALAC notes that these earlier rounds represented the “low hanging fruit” in the new gTLD market.
  • The ALAC agrees that ICANN continue to put money towards the an urgent need to resolve current challenges around Universal Acceptance, as well as the primary strategic goal of security, stability and trust.
  • The ALAC agrees that work which needs to be done on evolving the multistakeholder system is substantial and complex and that it must be ongoing with adequate resources directed towards its completion. The objectives related to diverse and inclusive participation in policy making in an efficient and effective way are essential to improving the system, underlining that face-to-face meetings are essential to the functioning of the multistakeholder model.
  • The ALAC/At-Large community propose some clarity via a listing of priorities and statements on the impact of each project on ICANN org and on each of the unique ACs and SOs. The community believes that while policy development and implementation activities are integral to the planning process, so are other activities, such as those that enable communication, collaboration, and outreach, between RALOS, At-Large members and other constituencies.

Proposed IANA SLAs for Publishing LGRs/IDN Tables
The ALAC supports the recommendations of the CSC and PTI for the proposed IANA SLAs for publishing the LGRs/IDN Tables.

Fundamental Bylaws Amendment Proposal – IANA Naming Function Review 
The ALAC supported the current version of the ICANN Bylaws Section 18.7(a) and 18.7(b), but understands that it has now proven to be difficult to implement. The ALAC agrees that the proposed change preserves the intent of the original Fundamental Bylaw and supports the change. Subject to any new information being brought to the ALAC’s attention, the current intention is that the ALAC will support this Fundamental Bylaw change when it is presented to the Empowered Community.

Public Comment for Decision


Current Statements (ALAC Advice, Comment or Correspondence)

Public Comment Name

Public Comment Close



CPWG SubPro Comment

Ongoing Workspace

As per 17 July CPWG AI, this is an informal At-Large workspace on the topic.


SAC105 Comment


As per 24 July CPWG AI, this is an informal At-Large workspace on the topic.


Olivier Crepin-Leblond

5.  Review of current ALS and Individual Member applications – Evin Erdoğdu (3 minutes)  

For Information:  ALS application tracking page and Individual Members page

ALS Snapshot



Countries & Territories



















ALS Application Status

Certified (2)

House of Africa  - AFRALO, Internet Governance Institute - APRALO


Reference: Decertification Wikispace

AFRALO will move to decertify MACSIS and several other ALSes, which are no longer active.

Note: AFRALO recently ratified their AFRALO Decertification Rules.

Vote (1)#294 BIKLAB - EURALO (changed to EURALO; shared engagement agreement with LACRALO)  
Awaiting advice (5)

#306 Internet Society Chapitre Haiti - LACRALO (awaiting GSE feedback), #305 Battery Operated Systems for Community Outreach Uganda - AFRALO (awaiting GSE feedback), #304 Corporacion Asesorias para el Desarrollo de la Innovacion y Tecnologia - Asesorias IT - LACRALO (awaiting GSE feedback), #303 AgeCare Foundation (CRB) - AFRALO (awaiting GSE feedback)#293 ACSIS COTE D'IVOIRE - AFRALO (awaiting regional feedback), #282 Association pour le Développement des Sociétés de l'Information au Tchad (ADESIT) - AFRALO (awaiting regional feedback)

Due diligence (2)#288 Liberia Information Technology students Union - AFRALO (awaiting applicant feedback) 
On hold (6)#299 China Internet Development Foundation - APRALO (Withdrawn - applicant will reapply), #297 The Bear Foundation - NARALO (Withdrawn), #292 Asociacion Civil Para la Investigacion Social y Tecnica de Internet (AGEIA España) - EURALO, #270 BSDCongo - AFRALO, #267 Surabhi Softwares, #112 Arab Regional ISPs & DSPs Association (ARISPA) - APRALO 

Individual Snapshot






















Recently certified: 2 Individuals, 1 Observer

Applications: None


6.  Reports and Discussion with At-Large Plus Leaders – Introduced by Maureen Hilyard  (7 minutes)

a. Liaisons: ccNSO; GAC, GNSO and SSAC

b. WGs: CPWG and Sub-Committee on Outreach and Engagement


See: At-Large Reports 

See: At-Large Governance

For Decision

7. ALAC Representative on the IANA Naming Function Review Consensus Call - Maureen Hilyard (5 minutes)

8. ALAC endorsement of BCEC and BMSPC Members - Maureen Hilyard (5 minutes)


RALO Leadership Selections


BCEC: Barrack, Abdeljalil, (Alternate: Abdelmonem)

BMSPC: Dave, Abdelkarim (Alternate: Remmy) 


BCEC: Fouad, Amrita (Alternate: Lianna)

BMSPC: Aris, Shreedeep (Alternate: Yeseul Kim)


BCEC: Natalia Filina, Clément Genty (Alternate: Roberto Gaetano)

BMSPC: Jean-Jacques Subrenat, Fotjon Kosta


BCEC: Vanda Scartezini; José Arce, (Alternate: Harold Arcos)

BMSPC: Sylvia Herlein-Leite; Dev Anand Teelucksingh (Alternate: Humberto Carrasco)


BCEC: Glenn McKnignt, TBC,  (Alternate:John More) 

BMSCP: José L. Pabón, Adrian Schmidt (Alternate: Yubelkys Montalvo)

For Discussion

9.    Update and Discussion with Leon Sanchez, Board Director Selected by At-Large (10 minutes)

10.   At-Large Review Implementation - Maureen Hilyard and Cheryl Langdon-Orr (5 minutes)

a. At-Large Review Implementation Plan Development

b. Issue 2 Dashboard and Progress Chart Next steps

11.  ATRT3 Survey - Cheryl Langdon-Orr (5 mins)

a. the Community Structures survey here (via Clicktools):  (one survey per individual Community Structure = 1 for ALAC and one for each RALO please

b. the individuals survey can be found here:

12. Seat 15 Elections Update and Next Steps - Maureen Hilyard and Yrjö Lansipuro, BCEC Chair (5 minutes)

   See: At-Large Board Member Selection Home - 2019-2020
   See: At-Large Board Member Selection Timeline - 2019-2020

 13. ATLAS III - Where We Are and Next Steps - Maureen Hilyard, Olivier Crepin-Leblond and Eduardo Diaz (15 minutes)

      See: At-Large Summit III Home

a. Program Update and Next Steps - Eduardo Diaz and Olivier Crepin-Leblond

b. Travelers Update and Next Steps - Maureen Hilyard and Gisella Gruber

c. Schedule Update and Next Steps - Gisella Gruber

d. Sponsorship Update and Next Steps - Olivier Crepin-Leblond 

14.  ICANN66 Review of Schedule and Agenda- Maureen Hilyard and Gisella Gruber (15 minutes)

See: ICANN66 - Montreal Meeting - November 2019

a. Key Policy Issues to be discussed: including EPDP2; SubPro/WT5/Planning for the next round; UA and Cybersecurity/DNS Abuse

b. Groups to meet: Board, ccNSO, GAC, NCSG, SSAC (GNSO?) 

c. Prep Sessions for Board, GAC and ATLAS III

15. At-Large 2020 - Maureen Hilyard (15 mins)

a. an introduction to the At-Large team,  2019 achievements and some forward planning items

16. Any Other Business - Maureen Hilyard (2 minutes)

  • No labels