NARALO Monthly Teleconference 

Date: Monday, 20 November 2017

Time: 20:00-21:00 UTC (for the time in various timezones click here)  


*** FR Interpretation will be available

How can I participate in this meeting? 

1(800)550-6865, Teleconference EN ID: 1638

                            Teleconference FR ID: 1838

Adobe Connect Link: https://participate.icann.org/naralo/

(If you have never attended a Connect Pro meeting before: Test your connection and get a quick overview)


Dial-out Participants

EN: 

FR: 

Apologies: Loris Taylor

Staff: Heidi Ulrich, Silvia Vivanco, Mario Aleman

Interpreters: 

Call Management: Gisella Gruber & Claudia Ruiz



Summary Minutes:    

Action Items: EN

Recording:   EN, FR

AC Chat: EN             

Transcript: EN, FR



1. Attendance (X/47)

This section is to record the meeting attendance. The letters* P, A or X are to identify the corresponding attendance state. The abbreviations** EN and FR are to identify the corresponding interpretation channels.

ALS (Total 27 :: 12CA/2PR/13US) - Attendance (X/27)

X - EN - Allan Skuce                  Pacific Community Networks Association/CA

X - EN - Dana Perry                   Nova Scotia Community Access Program/CA

X - EN - Dustin Phillips              ISOC DC/US

X - EN - Eduardo Díaz               ISOC PR/PR

X - EN - Evan Leibovitch            Canadian Association for Open Source (CLUE)/CA

X - EN - Garth Graham              Telecommunities Canada/CA 

X - EN - Grath Bruen                  Knujon/US

X - EN - Glenn McKnight            Foundation For Build. Sustainable Communities/CA

X - EN - Gordon Chillcott            Greater Toronto Area Linux User Group/CA - ?

X - EN - John LaPrise                 Association of Internet Users/US :: ALAC 2017-19

X - EN - Joly Macfie                    ISOC NY/US

X - EN - Judith Hellerstein          Capital Area Globetrotters/US

X - EN - Kenneth L. Whitehurst  Consumers Council of Canada/CA

X - EN - Leah Sykmekher           ISOC SF/US

X - EN - Loris Taylor                   Native Public Media/US

X - EN - Louis Houle                  ISOC Quebec/CA

X - EN - Lynden Price                ISOC NC/US

X - EN - Marita Moll                   ISOC CA/CA

X - EN - Mark Urban                  ISOC Disabled and Special Needs/US

X - EN - Mike Schoenecker        ISOC CO/US

X - EN - Monique Chartrand       Communautique/CA

X - EN - Randy Glass                 America@Large/US

X - EN - Seth Reiss                    The IP/Tech. Section of the HI State Bar Assoc./US

X - EN - Steve Anderson            Open Media/CA

X - EN - Sunish Gupta                Visually Impaired & Blind Users Group (VIBUG)/US

X - EN - Thomas Lowenhaupt    Connecting.nyc Inc./US

X - EN - Yubelkys Montalvo        Hispanic Educational Tech. Services (HETS)/PR


Unaffiliated (Total 20 :: 2 CA/1PR/16US) Attendance (X/20)

X - EN - Alan Greenberg/CA

X - EN - Daniel Wright/US

X - EN - David Allnut/US

X - EN - Edward Hasbrouck/CA

X - EN - Endrias Zewde/US

X - EN - Javier Rúa/PR

X - EN - Jean Armour Polly/US

X - EN - Jeongwon Ryu/US

X - EN - John Levine/US

X - EN - Jonathan Zuck/US

X - EN - Kristian Stout/US

X - EN - Linda Kaiser/US

X - EN - Michelangelo De Simone/US

X - EN - Philip Righter/US

X -  EN -  Roland Yarbrough/US

X -  EN -  Thomas Struett/US

X -  EN -  Thomas W Campbell/US

X -  EN -  Wendy Seltzer/US

X -  EN -  Wes Boudville/US

X -  EN -  William Cunningham/US


---0---

Others


*P=present/A=apology/X=not present

** EN= English Channel, FR = French Channel


2. Quorum :: Consensus (X/10) - Votes (X/14)

This section is to record if there is quorum for decisions that requires a consensus call or formal vote.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] [Decision]


3. Approval of the Agenda & Discussion Order

This section is to record the approval of this meeting agenda and its discussion order.


20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] [Decision] Approved by consensus


4. Resolved Discussions (i.e. Closed or Dormant)

This section is to approve moving to their respective archive locations the discussions that have been closed or made dormant in the previous meeting.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] [Decision]


4. Meeting Discussion Order


  1. ITEM 001: New agenda for monthly meetings
  2. ITEM 006: Creation of Working Groups

  3. ITEM 018ALAC and the ALAC Appointee Selection Committee (AASC)

  4. ITEM 019: ALAC Finance and Budget Sub-Committee (FBSC)

  5. ITEM 013: ICANN 61 - two (2) open travel slots

  6. ITEM 002: 2018 Individual  member representative

  7. ITEM 003: 2018 ALS Alternate representative(s)

  8. ITEM 011: 2018 CROP Program Coordinators (PCs)

  9. ITEM 012: ABR (Additional Budget Request)

  10. ITEM 009: NARALO Hot Topics

  11. ITEM 007: 2018 & 2019 Time table

  12. ITEM 005: NomCom update report

  13. ITEM 010: ARIN 40 trip reports

  14. ITEM 014: Individual Members Certification Criteria

  15. ITEM 015: NARALO Newsletter

  16. ITEM 016: ICANN 61 Showcase & NARALO 10th Anniv.

  17. ITEM 017: Outreach WG Update

  18. ITEM 008: Meeting recordings as podcasts

  19. ITEM 004: SOI Updates


5. Current Discussions

This section is for discussions that have been carried forward to this meeting.


6. New Discussions

This section is for new discussions in the agenda for this meeting.

ITEM 001: New agenda for monthly meetings

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED: 20 Nov 2017

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: Presentation and approval of the new meeting agenda format.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] New agenda format was explained and discussed. [Decision]: Approved by consensus. Closed.


ITEM 002: 2018 Individual member representative

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: This item is created to execute the following: Paragraph 3.3 of the 2017 approved NARALO Rules and Procedures state that “Appointment of a new voting representative and alternate(s) of the Individual Members shall take place as soon as practical after each ICANN Annual General Meeting”.  

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] NARALO secretary to coordinate with staff and Independent Members the selection of the 2018 representative [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.


ITEM 003: 2018 ALS voting Rep & Alternates

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: This item is created to execute the following: Paragraph 3.2 of the 2017 approved NARALO Rules and Procedures state that “Each ALS Member in good standing shall appoint one (1) voting representative and one (1) to two (2) alternates in accordance with its own selection procedures”.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] NARALO secretary to coordinate with staff and ALS members the selection of the ALS representative and Alternates. Item lead change to Glenn McKnight. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.


ITEM 004: SOI Updates

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: NARALO members should be encouraged to update/create their Statement of Interest (SOI).  

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] NARALO secretary to coordinate with staff to encourage all NARALO members to update/create their SOIs. Item lead change to Glenn McKnight. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.


ITEM 005: NomCom update report

LEAD: Leah Sykmekher

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: Brief report by our 2018 NomCom representative.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.


ITEM 006: Creation of Working Groups

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: This item is to create a series of Working Groups (WGs) to structure our collective regional efforts more efficiently and effectively. WGs can be Formal or AdHoc. Formal WGs work closer with staff since Wiki pages, call coordination and such are involved. AdHoc WGs require minimal staff support and are mostly done on informal basis. WGs to be created are: Policy, Education and Outreach.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] Initial scope and responsibilities for each follows:

ü  Policy WG:

o   Scope:

§  All policy issues affecting NARALO end-users and/or interest to NARALO members in general

o   Responsibilities:

§  Understand policy issues with an aim to become “matter experts” in selected policy issues

§  Prepare NARALO statements/comments for ALAC and/or any other group

§  Coordinate with the Education WG to prepare snippet (~ 15 minutes) webinars related to policy

ü  Education WG:

o   Scope:

§  Any issues (i.e. policy, process, etc.) affecting NARALO end-users and/or interest to NARALO members in general.

o   Responsibilities:

§  Understand issues with an aim to prepare snippet type (~15 minutes) webinars to explain them in “layman terms

§  Coordinate with staff to provide editorial help in with NARALO statements/comments for ALAC and/or any other group

§  Coordinate with staff the preparation/publishing of educational material for the region

ü  Outreach WG:

o   Scope:

§  Any outreach program resulting in increasing the NARALO membership base

o   Responsibilities:

§  Identify and/or create outreach programs

§  Identify, create and execute metric process to measure results for each program

§  Keep track of deadlines, efforts and results for each program


Creation of the groups was approved by consensus. John Laprise to lead Policy, Alfredo Calderón to lead Education and Glenn McKnight to lead Outreach. Joining Policy: Jonathan Zuck and Javier Rúa and Sussanah Gray. Next is for each WG to revise Scope and Responsibilities. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.


ITEM 007: 2018 & 2019 Time table

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: A table with NARALO important dates needs to be created and updated as necessary. Example of these dates are: elections, CROP, fellowship programs, monthly mid/year reports, strategic plans, etc.

  20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] NARALO secretary to coordinate with staff to prepare the table. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.


ITEM 008: Meeting recordings as podcasts

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: Currently, if you want to hear a specific NARALO meeting recording you must find where it is located. This is a “PULL” operation. To make it easier for the region, we should recreate these recordings into podcasts and have them available through a subscription. This will make it a “PUSH” operation. This can be extended to other areas like webinars, working groups, etc.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.


ITEM 009: NARALO Hot Topics

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: Policy

DESCRIPTION: Seven (7) NARALO hot topics (HTs) were identified during the General Assembly (GA) held in New Orleans in April 2017. These are as follows: Privacy, Trust, Surveillance, Net Neutrality, Digital Literacy, Universal Internet Access and Cybersecurity. You can see a summary of these HERE. The original discussion that occurred during the GA is located HERE.  Volunteers have been assigned lead roles to f/u on the HTs. We need to re-confirm them. In addition, each HTs needs to be clearly defined indicating what is the specific issue(s) that affects our region and what outcome we want to see after discussing them.

 20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting


ITEM 010: ARIN 40  trip reports

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: Outreach

DESCRIPTION: Brief report by the two NARALO representatives -Susannah Gray (ISOC SF) & Yubelkys Montalvo (HETS) - that were supported by Community Regional Outreach Program CROP (Community Regional Outreach Program) and ABR (Additional Budget Request) iniciative to attend ARIN 40 on 5 - 6 October 2017 at San Jose, California. Questions to answer: What kind of outreach effort was done? Did the effort produced a positive engagement? Will you recommend continuing our participation in these events? Is there anything else that you want to say about the experience/event?

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] NARALO Secretary to coordinate with staff, Susannah and Yubelkys so trip reports are included in ABR HERE and CROP HERE. In addition, NARALO Secretary in coordination with staff will f/u with CROP NARALO Program Coordinators (PCs) to complete the CROP Acknowledgement Section located HERE. Item lead change to Glenn McKnight. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.


ITEM 011: 2018 CROP Program Coordinators (PCs)

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: Designate CROP Program Coordinators (PCs) for NARALO.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] Glenn and Judith are the current PCs. [Decision]: NARALO Secretary in coordination with staff to inform 2018 designations to the CROP manager and update CROP page HERE.


ITEM 012: ABR (Additional Budget Request)

LEAD: Heidi Ulrich

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To inform the region about important updates to the ABR

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] [Decision]:


ITEM 013: ICANN 61 - two (2) open travel slots

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: ICANN 61 will be held in Puerto Rico (PR) in March 2018. Eduardo Díaz (NARALO Chair) and Javier Rúa (ALAC NARALO NomCom Appointee) live in PR therefore there will be two open slots for people to attend this event.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] Eduardo informed that he will be using the hotel and per diem budget allocation. [Decision]:


ITEM 014: Individual Members Certification Criteria

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: The process for certification of new Individual members should be revised to assure that they are to follow NARALO Rules and Procedures and any other NARALO approved governance document. An on-line form should be created to manage new applications. Current criteria and process are located HERE.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX]. [Decision]:


ITEM 015: NARALO Newsletter

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: This item is to discuss the change of the NARALO newsletter editor which is currently being done by Eduardo Díaz. Shelley Robinson, Executive Director of National Capital FreeNet/Libertel de la Capital nationale has volunteer to take over the production of the newsletter. This organization intents to be an ALS.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] [Decision]:


ITEM 016: ICANN 61 Showcase & NARALO 10th Anniv.

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: This item is to discuss and f/u the coordination of the ICANN 61 NARALO showcase and the celebration of NARALO 10th anniversary.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] [Decision]:


ITEM 017: Outreach WG Updates

LEAD: Glenn McKnight

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: This item is for the Outreach WG to report on NARALO Outreach efforts.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] [Decision]:


ITEM 018:  ALAC and the ALAC Appointee Selection Committee (AASC)

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: Under the request of Alan Greenberg, Chair of the ALAC and the ALAC Appointee Selection Committee (AASC), we are issuing a call for members of the 2018 AASC.The AASC reviews applications for various positions related to the ALAC and makes recommendations to the ALAC on which candidates to appoint or endorse.The AASC is Chaired by the ALAC Chair and is composed of: 

·  the ALAC Leadership Team excluding the ALAC Chair (Seun, Maureen, Bastiaan and Bartlett) and one other ALAC Member from the Chair's region;
 
· one member representing each RALO.
 
The AASC selects people to occupy critical positions and AASC members must be both able and willing to take the time to review applications in detail and to participate in the decisions of the Committee. For your information, the RALO representatives on the 2017 AASC are:
 
·         AFRALO - Barrack Otieno
·         APRALO - Ali AlMeshal
·         EURALO - Nenad Marinkovic
·         LACRALO - Maritza Yesenia Aguero Minano
·         NARALO - John Laprise
 
There are no term limit requirements. RALO Chairs should inform Alan and At-Large staff by 24 November at 23:59 UTC who the RALO Member will be from your region. 

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] [Decision]:


ITEM 019:  ALAC Finance and Budget Sub-Committee (FBSC)

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: Under the request of Alan Greenberg, Chair of the ALAC and ALAC Finance and Budget Sub-Committee (FBSC), we are issuing a call for members of the 2017-2018 FBSC.  The tasks of the FBSC include but are not limited to: 

- Coordination of the annual additional Budget Requests from the ALAC and the RALOs that will be filed to go into the yearly ICANN budget
- Drafting of any Statement regarding the ICANN Budget Process
- Drafting of any Statement regarding the ICANN Strategic Process
- Drafting of any Statement regarding ICANN's Operating plan
- Issues involving Constituency Travel Budgets


There will be two Members per region:
- One ALAC member to be selected by the region's ALAC members. Please note that Alan is the Chair of the FBSC and would prefer not to serve as the NARALO ALAC member. 
- One Member representing the RALO. This will normally be a RALO Chair, Vice-Chair (if the region has such an officer defined) or Secretariat. A RALO may choose someone else to be their official representative, as long as that person is both involved in the selection and preparation of that region's budget requests, and is empowered to act on behalf of the region on the FBSC.
 
Need to inform Alan and At-Large staff  by Friday, 24 November at 23:59 UTC who the RALO Member will be from our region.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] [Decision]:


7. Any Other Business (AOB)

This section is for any new discussions not in the agenda for this meeting.


ITEM 020*: [Item title here]

LEAD: [name]

OPEN: [open date], CLOSED:

TYPE: [General], [Policy], [Education], [Outreach]

DESCRIPTION: [Brief description]


*Use this format. The number shown is the next in the sequence of discussions. Update every meeting if necessary.


8. Next Meeting:

20 November 2017: Monday, 11 December 2017 @ 20:00 UTC - [Decision]:  Agreed by consensus. Staff to send invitation.


---0---


Supporting Material


·      2017 NARALO Rules and Procedures






 PDF

  • No labels