NARALO Monthly Teleconference 

Date: Monday, 10 December 2018

Time: 20:00 - 21:00 UTC (for the time in various timezones click here)  

How can I participate in this meeting? 

1(800)550-6865, Teleconference EN ID: 1638

 **AC Room: https://participate.icann.org/naralo/                          


Participants:

EN: George Kirikos, Eduardo Diaz, John Laprise, Wes Boudville, Gordon Chillcott, Alfredo Calderon, Leah Symekher, Michael Casadevall, Susannah Gray, Glenn McKnight, Judith Hellerstein, Marita Moll, Leon Sanchez (audio only), Loris Taylor, Greg Shatan, Pierre-Jean Darres, Dustin Phillips, Anna Loup, Joel Thayer, Bill Jouris, David Morar

Apologies:  Joe Catapano (staff), Dana Perry, Jonathan Zuck, Maureen Hilyard, Chris Mondini (Staff), Silvia Vivanco (Staff), Adrian Schmidt, Alan Greenberg

Staff: Heidi Ullrich, Andrea Glandon

Call Management: Andrea Glandon


Summary Minutes:    

Action Items: EN

Recording:   EN

AC Recording: EN

AC Chat: EN    

Transcript: EN


AGENDA

1. Attendance (XX/49)

This section is to record the meeting attendance.

ALS (Total 23 ::11CA/12US) - Attendance (XX/23) 

yone#

ALS

REP

ALT

US

CA

1Pacific Community Networks Association/CAAllan Skuce Bev Collins
X
2ISOC DC/USDustin PhillipsJohn More X
3ISOC PR/PREduardo DíazAlfredo CalderónX
4Canadian Association for Open Source (CLUE)/CAEvan Leibovitch Mathew Rice
X
5Foundation For Build. Sustainable Communities/CAGlenn McKnight Robert T Bell
X
6Greater Toronto Area Linux User Group/CAGordon Chillcott Scott Sullivan
X
7Association of Internet Users/US :: ALAC 2017-19John LaPrise Cristina WilllardX
8ISOC NY/USGreg Shatan
X
9Capital Area Globetrotters/USJudith Hellerstein Le-Marie ThompsonX
10Consumers Council of Canada/CA

Kenneth L. Whitehurst

Howard Dean
X
11ISOC CO/US

Karen Mulberry 

-X
12ISOC SF/USLeah SykmekherSusannah Gray X
13Native Public Media/USLoris Taylor Elyse Dempsey
X
14Telecommunities Canada/CA Marita Moll  Garth Graham
X
15Communatique/CAMonique Chartrand -
X
16The IP/Tech. Section of the HI State Bar Assoc./USSeth ReissTracey OhtaX
17ISOC Quebec/CADestiny Tchehouali
Robert Castonguay
X
18ISOC Canada/CAShelley Robinson Murray McKercher 
X
19Connecting.nyc Inc./USThomas Lowenhaupt Robert PollardX
20Hispanic Educational Tech. Services (HETS)/PRYubelkys MontalvoYelixa CastroX
21Nova Scotia Community Access ProgramDana PerryErick Stackhouse
X
22At-Large North American Graduate Students/USDavid Cristian Morar  Anna Cecile Loup X
23Alternatives, Inc.Michel LambertMyriam Cloutier
X

For updates please contact Evin Erdoğdu, At-Large Staff.

*P=Present

RED = Under decertification

Unaffiliated (Total 26 :: 8CA/18US) Attendance (XX/26) 

#

Name

US

CA

1Adrian Schmidt
X
2Alan Greenberg 
X
3Daniel WrightX
4David Allnut
X
5Endrias ZewdeX
6Edward HasbrouckX
7George Kirikos
X
8Javier Rúa Jovet X
9Jean Armour Polly
X
10Jeongwon RyuX
11Jeremy PesnerX
12Joey Doyle
X
13Jonathan Zuck X
14Kristian Stout X
15Linda KaiserX
16Michelangelo De Simone
X
17Nathalie CoupetX
18Philip RighterX
19Robert Guerra
X
20Robert JacobiX
21Roland YarbroughX
22Thomas W CampbellX
23Thomas StruettX
24Wendy SeltzerX
25Wes Boudville X
26William Cunningham X

For updates please contact Evin Erdoğdu, At-Large Staff.

2. Approval of the Agenda & Discussion Order 

This section is to record the approval of this meeting agenda and its discussion order. (00:02/00:03)

→ 10 December  [Recording: XX:00]: 

3. Meeting Discussion Order 


Item

#


Discussion



Lead

Allotted Time/Running Time

041

Introductory Remarks by NARALO Chair

→: To put the meeting in perspective  and bring-up anything of general interest to the membership:

  • Update : ATLAS III
    • Call for volunteers ended December 5
  • New agenda discussions
    • EPDP on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data - Monthly Update (by Alan Greenberg)
    • Discretionary funds (by Glenn Mcknight)
    • FY20 ALAC/RALO Additional Budget Requests (by Eduardo Díaz an d Glenn McKnight)
  • 4 ICANN 63 Read Outs in the region
    • ISOC SF 
    • ISOC NY
    • Telecommunities Canada
    • ISCO PR (in Español)

Eduardo

(00:1 / 00:06)
025

CROP FY18

→: To provide an update/report for the following CROP supported events:  

  • ARIN 41 (William)

William

(00:01 / 00:07)

042

New NARALO Members

→: To introduce new members to the region

  • Joey Doyle (CA)

Joey


(00:05 / 00:12)
017

NARALO Outreach Group Update Report

→: To provide a summary of the NARALO Outreach Group efforts since our last call

  • NARALO Outreach results from the 2018 IGF
  • Reminder of CROP trips for FY19
    1. NTC19 Portland, Oregon 13-15 March 2019
      1. Deadline to apply: December 20, 2018
    2. Digital Inclusion Charlotte, North Carolina 1-3 April 2019
      1. Deadline to apply: January 10, 2019
    3. ARIN 43 Bridgetown, Barbados 7-10 April 2019
      1. Deadline to apply: January 10, 2019
Glenn(00:10 / 00:22)
051

NARALO Discretionary Funds Report

→: To provide a report on the use of discretionary funds assigned to NARALO

Glenn(00:05 / 00:27)
053

FY20 ALAC/RALO Additional Budget Requests (ABR)

→: To request proposals for submission to this process and report on its results. Requirements for proposals are as follows:

      • Proposals should include ways in which will make the entire At-Large community more effective and develop the At-Large community rather than a single section of the At-Large community.
      • Outreach should not be a major focus. Activities to improve engagement with existing members is encouraged.
      • If any request is made on outreach, it should go through the CROP program or as a part of a larger ALAC request for RALO Discretionary Funding. 
      • RALO requests should be strategic and in line with their RALO's strategic outreach plans and must be endorsed by their RALO prior to being submitted for consideration by the FBSC.
      • Staff is currently expecting that basic resources for community communications/printing will be supported through the core ICANN budget, but that community proposals for printing , etc. will be accepted as a back-up in case expectations change.  Specific proposals for communications resources beyond simple printing and editing functions should be prepared and submitted.
  • Timeline

    Start

    End

    Status

    Kick off and Submission period

    11/05/2018

    25/01/2019

    In progress

    FBSC representatives and/or staff to send notice of opening of FY20 Additional Budget Request (ABR) process to RALOs15/11/201815/11/2018
    RALOs to review any ALS request or complete a template on behalf of the RALO and send requests to staff@atlarge.icann.org 26/11/201804/01/2019
    Discussion of Proposals with Finance Staff and FBSC07/01/2019 11/01/2019
    Revised proposals to be sent to the FBSC for final review.14/01/201918/01/2019
    The ALAC to review the proposed At-Large FY20 ABRs during their monthly call 22/01/201922/01/2019
    The FBSC to review all the RALO requests.23/01/201923/01/2019

    Submissions Due – send to planning@icann.org

    25/01/2019

    25/01/2019

    On target

    Preliminary review of requests by ICANN.org

    28/01/2019

    08/03/2019

    On target

    SO/AC consultations at ICANN 64 (by request, during Constituents’ Day)

    09/03/2019

    15/03/2019

    On target

    Final assessments and recommendations by ICANN.org

    18/03/2019

    31/03/2019

    On target

    ICANN Board Finance Committee Review and recommendation for approval to the Board

    15/04/2019

    19/04/2019

    On target

    ICANN Board review and approval at May Board meeting

    22/04/2019

    03/05/2019

    On target

Eduardo

Glenn

(00:05 / 00:32)
044

North America Stakeholder Engagement

→: To provide an update report on North America Stakeholder Engagement efforts

  • Current and future engagements

Chris

Joe

(00:05 / 00:37)

026

NARALO ALAC members Update Reports

→: To provide a summary by our current NARALO representatives in ALAC of what was discussed since our last meeting in ALAC regarding policy and anything else that the region should be aware about.

Javier

John L.

Alan

(00:05 / 00:42)
050

Student Outreach by  the North American Graduate Students At-Large Structure

→: To provide an updated report on efforts related to outreach University students by this At-Large Structure

David(00:05 / 00:47)
028

NARALO Policy Group Update Report

→: To provide an update report by the head of the Policy Group as to the ICANN policies being discussed at the moment affecting NARALO end-users and/or interest to NARALO members in general

Jonathan


(00:05 / 00:52)
052

EPDP on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data

→: To provide an update report on this effort

Alan(00:07 / 00:59)

if we get to them...

029

NARALO Education Group Update Report

→: To provide provide an update report by the head of the Educational Group since our last call.

Alfredo
043

Social Media Update Report

→: To report on the At-Large Social Media Working Group (SoMe) and NARALO required efforts to support this initiative

  • What is the strategy for At-Large? For RALOs? for NARALO?
  • What are timelines for implementation?
Susannah

to be updated in the future...

045

Academic Credits

→:To work on ways that we could possibly exchange academic credit for students who participate in ICANN policy development processes

Chris

Yubelkys

David

(00:05 / 00:42)
-

Any Other Business (AOB)

-
-Next meeting: January 14, 2019 @20:00 UTC--

*(allowed time/running time)


4. Current Discussions

This section is for discussions that have been carried forward to this meeting


ITEM 017: NARALO Outreach Group Update Report

LEAD: Glenn McKnight

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To provide a summary of the NARALO Outreach Group efforts since our last call.

→ 12 February 2018 [Recording: 42]  Report given. Please refer to recording/transcript fro more details. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting

→ 14 March [Recording: 50:00]  Update given. Talked about strategic plan. Various testimonials given about outreach efforts. Example given: ICANN read outs, ARIN meetings and IGF Geneva. No action item generated. [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting

→ 09 april [Recording: 29 & 50 ]  William suggested that we put forward an effort to reach out to what are called HBCU, historically black colleges and universities, starting at Howard University in Washington DC. (see more details Page 16 in the transcript). Glenn provided and updated report on outreach efforts during ICANN 61 in Puerto Rico. please refer to page 25 in the transcript for more details. [Decision]: Chris Mondini and William to get on the phone or meet in DC to continue this discussion. 

→ 14 May [Recording: --]   Not in agenda for this meeting. [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting

→ 11June [Recording: 40:25]  Glenn reported. Please read specifics in the transcript page 22. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting

→ 10 September [Recording: 36:00] Report given. Transcript excerpt:"So, again, we have two tools. We have CROP which is three trips that ICANN has been generous enough to support. Plus we have discretionary funding." Check transcript starting in page #21 for more details. [Decision]:  Carry Forward to next meeting. 

→ 8 October [Recording: 23:00]: Mentioned IGF coming up and three CROPs for 2019 - 1. ARIN 43 Bridgetown, Barbados 7-10 April 2019, 2. Digital Inclusion Charlotte, North Carolina 1-3 April 2019 3. NTC19 Portland, Oregon 13-15 March 2019

→ 12 November [Recording: 13:50]: Mentioned outreach boot in the current IGF in Paris, France. Reiterated CROP trips and the deadlines for applying. Check transcript starting in page #10 for more details.

→ 10 December [Recording: XX:XX]:

ITEM 025: CROP FY18

LEAD: Eduardo Diaz

OPEN: 12 February 2018, CLOSED: 

TYPE: [Outreach]

DESCRIPTION: To provide an update/report for the following events: Digital Inclusion  (Glenn), RigthsCon (Judith) and ARIN 41 (William)

→ 12 February 2018 [Recording: 38] Report given. Refer to recording/transcript for details. [Decision]: Recommend to close.

→ 14 March [Recording: 10:00]  Program was explained. There may be about $4K o discretionary money that can be used fro this next year. No action item generated. [Decision]: Recommend to keep in the agenda to inform allocation of the two last spots in this program

→ 09 april [Recording: 25] William (WC) mentioned that his trip to the ARIN is more strategic in comparison to the GA trip to New Orleans and that he is looking forward to help out. Glenn sent to WC brochures and materials to help with the outreach.  Glenn also mentioned that he is going to attend The Digital Inclusion in Cleveland and Judith the RigthsCon in Toronto where she is going to be one of panelist as the At-Large Global Indigenous Ambassador program. Read more details in the transcripts (page 12) [Decision]: ACTION ITEM: William, Glenn and Judith to prepare to work with Evin and Mario from staff to make sure that all the activities are posted on at-large social media, Twitter, Facebook. Also, to provide short written reports to staff to start documenting all of these activities and some of the achievements.

→ 14 May [Recording: 30:35]  Running out of time at this moment of the agenda.   [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting as first item in the agenda.

→ 11June [Recording: 3:34]  Glenn and Judith reported. Glenn RigthsCon leads: Canadian National Institute of the Blind (CNIB) & First Nations doing libraries throughout the Midwest. Judith RigthsCon leads: not specific leads but mentioned that she is following up with some of them. William's report pending. Final specifics about FY19 CROP still pending. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 09 July [Recording: 28:57]  Glenn RightsCon leads: Canadian National Institute of the Blind (CNIB) working on getting their application in soon. Glenn Digital inclusion leads: First Nations doing libraries throughout the Midwest. Judith RightsCon leads: couple Canadian and US non-profits, William's report pending [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 13 August [Recording: 4:00]: New ALSs application by ALTERANTIVE was outreached during the DNS symposium in Montreal which was a CROP sponsored event attended by Glenn. William's report pending. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 10 September [Recording: 02:00] William's report pending. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 8 October [Recording: 21:00]: William's report pending. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 12 November [Recording: 09:30]: William's report pending. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 10 December [Recording: XX:XX]:

ITEM 026:  NARALO ALAC Members Update Reports

LEAD: Javier Rúa, John Laprise & Alan Greenberg

OPEN: 09 April 2018, CLOSED: 

TYPE: [Policy]

DESCRIPTION: To provide a summary by our current NARALO representatives in ALAC of what was discussed since our last meeting in ALAC regarding policy and anything else that the region should be aware about.

→ 09 april [Recording: 3:00 ]  Javier Rúa gave a summary of the Work Track 5” of the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Working Group. Alan mentioned statements already put out by ALAC fro GDPR Implementation, Fellowship Program and KSK Rollover. ALAC is currently looking for input on a proposal model made by the Intellectual Property Constituency (IP) and Business Constituency for accreditation and authorization on WhoIs data and on the replenishment of the ICANN financial reserve. Please check out the Policy Page in the links provided below. [Decision]: Action item for staff: Summarize what the policy issues are and send it out to the list as quickly as possible.

→ 14 May [Recording: 12:04 ]  Alan provided a brief report about GDPR , NomCom Review, CCWG on Accountability Work Stream #2 (coming up)  and GNSO on New gTLD (coming up) [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

11June [Recording: 29:42] No reports given. [Decision]: Carry Forward to next meeting

→ 13 August [Recording: 17:00]: Reports provided by Alan  and Javier. See transcript page 10 and 15 to see details. [Decision]: Carry Forward to next meeting

→ 10 September [Recording: 46:50]  Report given by John Laprise. Transcript excerpt : "As was mentioned, the KSK rollover is moving ahead, so that will happen before the next ICANN meeting. In addition, the Policy Working Group is getting up and running. Jonathan Zuck [inaudible] there. We’ve got review implementation which is also kicking off as well as ongoing work with new gTLDs and GDPR. The accelerated technical specs that are being under review which is another area of a lot of concern and conversation." Check transcript starting in page #26 for more details. [Decision]:  Carry Forward to next meeting.

→ 10 December [Recording: XX:XX]:


ITEM 028: NARALO Policy Group Update Report

LEAD: Jonathan Zuck 

OPEN: 09 April 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: [Policy]

DESCRIPTION: To provide an update report by the head of the Policy Group as to the ICANN policies being discussed at the moment affecting NARALO end-users and/or interest to NARALO members in general

→ 09 april [Recording: 51] This group is looking for volunteers. Jonathan suggested to focus in the following topics: Disposition of Action Funds, Universal Acceptance and Name Collisions. Please refer to page 26 of the transcript for more details about these.  [Decision]: ACTION ITEM: Ask for volunteers for this group. Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 14 May [Recording: --]   Not in agenda for this meeting. [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting

→ 11June [Recording: 43:03] Mentioned that the biggest think is that Subsequent Procedures Working Group is going to be delivering its interim report shortly after Panama. Also discussions about charitable outcome associated with O.com and finally GDPR. More specifics on page 23 in the transcript. [Decision]: Carry Forward to next meeting

→ 13 August [Recording: 22:00]:  from the transcript page 14 : "we identify the issues, we’re trying as a group to identify what matters to end users and also what we think our position should be. But at that point, we’ll then need people to participate in drafting that section of our response. So we are interested in more people being engaged to do some writing on a particular question because there are so many questions to answer"  [Decision]:Carry Forward to next meeting

→ 10 December [Recording: XX:XX]:

ITEM 029: NARALO Education Group Update Report

LEAD: Alfredo Calderon

OPEN: 09 April 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: [Policy]

DESCRIPTION: This discussion item is for providing an update report by the head of the Educational Group.

→ 09 april [Recording: --]  For the May meeting, Jonathan Zuck will discuss "Universal Acceptance" as part of the SWebinar series. Future topics must align with ICANN's mission, therefore, the Policy & Hot Topics must be reviewed if a SWebinar is to be organized. It seems reasonable to consider Pollicy Comments as a point of reference. We are aware that in some instances the timeframe will be a limitation when Public comments before our monthly meetings. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 14 May [Recording: 45:00 ]   Presentation given by Jonathan on Intelectual Property Constituency (IPC) / Business Constituency (BC) Accreditation & Access Model for Non-Public Data. Please see details in transcript starting on page #30. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 11June [Recording: 47:05]  No report given. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 9 July:  Jonathan Zuck will discuss "Universal Acceptance" as part of the SWebinar series. Basic information available here. Seeking volunteers to do SWebinars for upcomming meetings. Topics must be related to ICANN's mission and pressing issues that might entice commenting by the  RALO.

→ 10 September [Recording: 44:00] Report given. Transcript excerpt : "I sent out an e-mail through the education group to gather topics that we feel that we should have a short webinar in the coming meetings, keeping in mind that if they are really related with some policy that is out there for comment and it’s time-sensitive, we’re going to give priority to those." Check transcript starting in page #25 for more details. [Decision]:  Carry Forward to next meeting.

→ 10 December [Recording: XX:XX]:


ITEM 041: Introductory Remarks by NARALO Chair

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 10 September 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To put the meeting in perspective  and bring-up anything of general interest to the membership.

→ 10 September [Recording: 01:41]  Overview given.  Check transcript starting in page #2 for more details. [Decision]:  Carry Forward to next meeting.

→ 8 October [Recording: 01:15] Overview given. No transcript available at 10/11/18.

→ 12 November [Recording: 02:00]: Overview given. Check transcript starting in page #2 for more details.

→ 10 December [Recording: XX:XX]:


ITEM 042: New NARALO Members

LEAD: Joey Doyle

OPEN: [open date], CLOSED:

TYPE: Outreach

DESCRIPTION: To introduce new members to the region

→ 10 September [Recording: 05:50]  George Kirikos introduced himself. From transcript : "I’ve been [using the Internet] for a very long time. Way back, well, I guess when I was in school, we used the Commodore PETs in grade 7. So that got me hooked on computers. I was an early user of bulletin board systems, which obviously then transformed into Internet and AOL and things like that way back in the early 80s." Check transcript starting in page #4 for more details. - Check transcript starting in page #4 for more details. Joey was not available for this call. Will try to confirm him for our next call. Alfredo introduced two NA fellows that will be participating in ICANN63 as fellows. These were Michael Casadevall and Janos Szurdi. Check transcript starting in page #6 for more details. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting

→ 8 October [Recording: 55:42]: Jeremy introduced himself. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 12 November [Recording: 09:50]: Robert introduced himself. Joey was not present during this meeting. Check transcript starting in page #7 for more details.

→ 10 December [Recording: XX:XX]:


ITEM 043: Social Media Update Report

LEAD: Susannah Gray 

OPEN: 10 Sept 2018CLOSED:

TYPE: Outreach

DESCRIPTION: To report on the At-Large Social Media Working Group (SoMe) and NARALO required efforts to support this initiative

→ 10 September [Recording: 28:30] Report given. Transcript excerpt: "The thing I guess at this point we’re really looking from NARALO as some additional volunteers from the community to be on point if NARALO-related social media. As I put in the chat, if you’re interested, please contact me or one of the staff on this call or Evin. And we’ll put your name in the hat, and we’ll get busy. We have a lot of work to do." Transcript excerpt by Alfredo asking for #hashtags : "...if it’s possible to have an action item where we, as NARALO, can make a list of all the hashtags of all the ALSes that we have in our region so that we can monitor what activities they are doing, I and Susannah, as the social media leaders, can funnel that information so that At-Large can have access to it in a timely formal manner." Check transcript starting in page #17 for more details [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting

→ 10 December [Recording: XX:XX]:


ITEM 044: North America Stakeholder Engagement

LEAD: Chris Mondini & Joe Catapano

OPEN: 10 September 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To provide an update report on North America Stakeholder Engagement efforts

→ 10 September [Recording: 16:31]  Report given. Transcript excerpt: "We are also working with two universities, the University of California in Los Angeles and also Arizona State University and also the University of Colorado, to work on ways that we could possibly exchange academic credit for students who participate in policy development processes or have some other ICANN policy development advancing role. So we are talking to them actively." Yubelkys Montalvo from HETS was very interesting in helping with this effort. Check transcript starting in page #10 for more details. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 8 October [Recording: 30:50]: DC office hosted 12 members from Indonesia to talk about organization and policy of private sector corporations such as ICANN. This was in conjunction with the State Department and done about twice a year. Also, coordinate UN meeting for the ICANN Government  Engagement team. Finally held a sucessful meeting with the US Chamber of Commerce. Main theme was GDPR. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 10 December [Recording: XX:XX]:


ITEM 047: Academic Credits

LEAD: Chris Mondini

LEAD COLLABORATORS: Yubelkys Montalvo (Universities) & David Morar (Students)

OPEN: 10 September 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To work on ways that we could possibly exchange academic credit for students who participate in ICANN policy development processes

→ 8 October [Recording: 27:00] : Two schools identified. Arizona State University, Phoenix - Responded enthusiastically. Best approach to use research clusters. These  are groups of 4-5 student that choose a topic and work on it for a year under a direction of a University professor. At the end they produce a paper and present their findings. Most probably will start in fall '19. The other institutionalization is University of Colorado Boulder. Not moving forward at the moment but talks are open. Will follow-up with them in the future. programs. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 12 November [Recording: 16:55]: There has not been much progress since the last call. From transcript: "Our next step is that we’re talking with our policy development support team, and also people that run reviews, and we’re asking them if we get these students for a six-month period or a nine-month period or a 12-month period, what is the way that we could deploy them to further ICANN’s work?" . Check transcript starting in page #13 for more details.

→ 10 December [Recording: XX:XX]:


ITEM 050: Student Outreach by  the North American Graduate Students At-Large Structure


LEAD: David Morar, Anna Cecile Loup 


OPEN: 12 November 2018, CLOSED:


TYPE: Outreach


DESCRIPTION: To provide an updated report on efforts related to outreach University students by the North American Graduate Students At-Large Structure


→ 12 November [Recording: 22:00]: A couple of suggestion given during this discussion. From Heidi Ullrich: " a grad student, who’s often the teacher’s assistant [to lead the classes,] so the undergrad, could then work with on the case study with these undergrads. And that might be a significant part of their grade. So just a possibility there that you can combine grad and undergrad students here". From George Kirikos: " there are independent study programs for undergraduate students as well as graduate students, so doesn’t necessarily have to be graduate students only. And also, ICANN did announce their open data initiative several months ago, so perhaps the credit could be kind of tied into that program, because that would obviously allow for various research or studies from students, either analyzing that data, or perhaps even better, creating some of that open data for other researchers". Check transcript starting in page #15 for more details.

→ 10 December [Recording: XX:XX]:


5. New Discussions

This section is for new discussions in the agenda for this meeting


ITEM 051: NARALO Discretionary Funds Report


LEAD: Glenn McNight

OPEN: 10 December 2018, CLOSED:


TYPE: General


DESCRIPTION: To provide a report on the use of the $4,000 discretionary funds assigned to NARALO

→ 10 December [Recording: XX:XX]:


ITEM 052: EPDP on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data 


LEAD: Alan Greensberg


OPEN: 10 December 2018, CLOSED:


TYPE: Policy


DESCRIPTION: To provide an update report on this effort

 → 10 December [Recording: XX:XX]:

ITEM 053: FY20 ALAC/RALO Additional Budget Requests (ABR)


LEAD: Eduardo Díaz / Glenn McKnight


OPEN: 10 December 2018, CLOSED:


TYPE: General


DESCRIPTION: →: To request proposals for submission to this process and report on its results. Requirements for proposals are as follows:


      • Proposals should include ways in which will make the entire At-Large community more effective and develop the At-Large community rather than a single section of the At-Large community.
      • Outreach should not be a major focus. Activities to improve engagement with existing members is encouraged.
      • If any request is made on outreach, it should go through the CROP program or as a part of a larger ALAC request for RALO Discretionary Funding. 
      • RALO requests should be strategic and in line with their RALO's strategic outreach plans and must be endorsed by their RALO prior to being submitted for consideration by the FBSC.
      • Staff is currently expecting that basic resources for community communications/printing will be supported through the core ICANN budget, but that community proposals for printing , etc. will be accepted as a back-up in case expectations change.  Specific proposals for communications resources beyond simple printing and editing functions should be prepared and submitted.

→ 10 December [Recording: XX:XX]:

6. Any Other Business (AOB)

This section is for any new discussions not in the agenda for this meeting.

ITEM 054*: [Item title here]

LEAD: [name]

OPEN: [open date], CLOSED:

TYPE: [General], [Policy], [Education], [Outreach]

DESCRIPTION: [Brief description]



*Use this format. The number shown is the next in the sequence of discussions. Update every meeting if necessary.




---0---


Supporting Material

General:


Policy:

See: 2018 ALAC Policy Comments & Advice

Recently Ratified by the ALAC

Draft Final Report of the Security and Stability Advisory Committee Review (SSAC2)
The ALAC is in support of the SSAC’s continued role in the ICANN community as an Advisory Committee. It commented specifically on Recommendations 1-5, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16-17, 21-22, 24 and 25 in the Report, noting that the SSAC should, in addition to revising its advice to the Board, also simultaneously attempt to write advice in such a way that non-technical experts in the ICANN community more easily understand them.

Registration Directory Service (RDS-WHOIS2) Review Team Draft Report of Recommendations
The primary concern for the ALAC in the RDS-WHOIS2 Review is the accuracy of registrant data (WHOIS data) and its use by security and law enforcement bodies in addressing the misuse and abuse of the DNS system. The ALAC summarized their positions on the 16 Recommendations under Objective 1, as well as Objectives 3, 5, 6 and the ICANN Bylaws.

Public Comment for Decision

Current Statements (ALAC Advice, Comment or Correspondence)

Public Comment Name

Public Comment Close

Status

Penholder(s)

Draft PTI and IANA FY20 Operating Plan and Budgets

Please note:

The Draft FY20 ICANN Operating Plan and Budget documents will be posted for public comment on 17 December 2018. ICANN’s Planning Team would like to invite you to attend a webinar on the FY20 Planning Overview of Documents for Public Comment to help you prepare to submit feedback on these documents.

Webinar #1: 18 December 2018 17:00 UTC

Submitted:

 

Note: Initial draft updated, to be submitted.

COMMENT


Competition, Consumer Trust, and Consumer Choice Review Team (CCT) Final Report & Recommendations

 

COMMENT

Initial Report of the New gTLD Auction Proceeds Cross-Community Working Group

 

COMMENT

Supplemental Initial Report on the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Policy Development Process (Overarching Issues & Work Tracks 1-4)

 

COMMENT

 

COMMENT

Maximal Starting Repertoire Version 4 (MSR-4) for Root Zone Label Generation Rules (RZ-LGR)

 

DRAFTING

Work Track 5 on Geographic Names at the Top Level - Supplemental Initial Report of the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Policy Development Process

 

DRAFTING

TBC

Education:

Outreach:

NARALO FY19 Outreach and Engagement Strategic plan

Community Regional Outreach Program (CROP)-FY18 Home

At-Large Social Media Working Group




  • No labels