Nathalie  Peregrine:Dear all, welcome to the At-Large ALS Criteria and Expectations Taskforce meeting on the 14th August 2015.
  Nathalie  Peregrine:agenda page: https://community.icann.org/x/s5JCAw
  Jacqueline:Hi - I managed to run away from work for a bit.
  Alan Greenberg:Thank you Nathalie
  Glenn McKnight:Me
  Glenn McKnight:Alan Skuce  should be  joining
  Siranush Vardanyan:Hello everyone
  Glenn McKnight:He was asked at our  Naralo meeting and we did folllowup with him
  Glenn McKnight:We asked for participants too from NARALO
  Glenn McKnight:Alan is on the West coast
  Siranush Vardanyan:you missed my name, I am also here :)
  Glenn McKnight:Judith sent out  a request to the NA  list too
  Heidi Ullrich:I am on the call, too ;)
  Glenn McKnight:Perhaps  we should  recruit  Eric  Brunner  Williams  who  has been critical of  ALS  membership and he has done some interesting  research on  RALO participation
  Glenn McKnight:I think he has unsubscribed
  Jacqueline:Credibility is more strained by holding on to something that doesn't work, than to declare a problem and fix it. But I don't think that it's so bad
  Glenn McKnight:On  Item  One.   Perhaps  we can ask for their  participation with  local  internet issues and other   Internet  based organizations ie. ISOC  etc
  Glenn McKnight:Perhaps  involved with IETF,  MAG  membership, Involved with IGF  etc
  Glenn McKnight:ALso   local  RIR  ie.  RIPE, ARIN etc
  Jacqueline:I agree with Cheryl about the sub-regions, esp AP and LAC
  vanda:hi all , sorry I am late. no phone today where I am
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Welcome Vanda!
  vanda:thanks
  vanda:sorry to be late
  Beran Gillen:hello everyone
  vanda:hi Beran
  Glenn McKnight: I am ignoring the  lack of  North American  sensabilities
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Put a oin in it  as I said...   and  I might discuss further with AP  in the near future ;-)
  Jacqueline:I think it would give broader perspectives and improved outreach
  Beran Gillen:hi vanda
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:and engagement especially where local language differences are  highky evident  Yes Jacqui
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Application form link: https://forms.icann.org/en/als-designation
  Glenn McKnight:@Nathalie  how  much time is the due diligence process?
  Maureen Hilyard:@Cheryl - the discussion point has always been there, but we have been able to deal with it as a RALO as you say by spreading the leadership representation across the RALO
  Glenn McKnight:@Who is doing the  deep analysis of  applications?
  Jacqueline:Maureen, it might be easier going down the road if institutionalised
  Nathalie  Peregrine:@ Glenn, from application to due diligence being finalised is 3 weeks
  Nathalie  Peregrine:on paper
  Glenn McKnight:@Natalie  do we have  scoring  system for the application?
  Glenn McKnight:@Natalie  what is the rejection  rate?
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Could you please define scoring system?
  Glenn McKnight:Points  per  section
  Glenn McKnight:ie.  capacity, membership  years in operation etc
  Nathalie  Peregrine:No scoring system as such. But clear questions asked on Due Diligence, then RALO Regional Advice and ALAC members vote are the deciding steps. Decision is not taken at due dliligence level, as this is  done by staff.
  Glenn McKnight:@Nathalie  do  we do  an interview ?
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Due Dliligence is done via email exchange with the applicant and sometimes telephone exchange, to reply to questions on Due Diligence form. No interview format as such.
  Glenn McKnight:@Nat  if it  goes back to  Staff after the due dilegence,  i.e  making sure the links works and the content is complete , then it gets  passed on to  staff or the  RALO secretariat to  complete a direct  discussioin with the  applicant?  
  Mwendwa Kivuva:What is the meaning of "largely individual-led"
  Silvia Vivanco:Just a note regarding "individual membership in RALOs" see ICANN by laws : art 4.3 "Each RALO's Memorandum of Understanding shall also include provisions designed to allow, to the greatest extent possible, every individual Internet user who is a citizen of a country within the RALO's Geographic Region to participate in at least one of the RALO's At-Large Structures."
  Nathalie  Peregrine:@ Glenn, Staff completes Due Diligence and then forwards it to relevant RALO leaders for their regional Advice, if they have further questions, staff and RALO leaders work together to gather sufficient information for informed regional advice
  Nathalie  Peregrine:This then gets forwarded to the ALAC members
  Glenn McKnight:@Nathalie  I understand the flow but  who is responsible to connect with the ALS  directly to ask the tough questions
  Wolf Ludwig:Sorry for being late!
  Nathalie  Peregrine:If tough questions arise, staff communictaes them to the ALS reps, and then forwards answers to either RALO leaders or ALAC members, depending on who asked
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Welcome Wolf Ludwig
  Glenn McKnight:@Nathalie    a  checklist would be helpful
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:unincorporated associations are commonplace in this space
  Jacqueline:Thanks Olivier - was just going to say that..
  Jacqueline:Sometimes it's expensive and difficult to legally incorporate
  vanda:will try now to enter by phone
  vanda:will try to enter by phone now
  Jacqueline:We have many Associations here that are "official" but not going through a legal process
  Glenn McKnight:I noticed that   Barbados  has  three  ALS  LACRALO  in a population of  200,000    Is this reasonable when  many locations  with larger  populations  have none?    
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I think our intent is to have active structures not restrict to incorporated organisations.
  Nathalie  Peregrine:@ Vanda, please let us know if you need a dial out
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:For the record  Personally  I have no issue with organisation of Organisations  
  Glenn McKnight:Many large  incorporated  organizations   doesn't mean  they active.  
  Glenn McKnight:A  small adhoc  special interest group could be very active
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Yup  I lkso hold with that view  thus my non concern of even small size
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:activity is KEY
  vanda:@+ 1  Glenn and Yrjo
  Glenn McKnight:@ Alan  what about the issue of   'adequate'  number of  ALS's  per  country
  vanda:in fact means nothing be large ( mine is alrge but just Sylvia and I work
  Glenn McKnight:Yes,   Alberto is right  people  sometimes  need another voice  because they are limited in their   government capacity
  Mwendwa Kivuva:Glenn McKnight: I noticed that   Barbados  has  three  ALS  LACRALO  in a population of  200,000    Is this reasonable when  many locations  with larger  populations  have none?  .... Probably each ALS has specific activities and projects that are not overlapping
  Jacqueline:I agree, Cheryl. There are so many organisations that have multiple hats and interests that are small, so one person might be detailed to focus on IG/ICANN
  vanda:+ 1 alberto
  Siranush Vardanyan:agree that size should not be an issue, in my ALS there are more than 3.000 members, but it's omainly nly me who dealing with ICANN/At-Large stuff with sharing the info with the board of the organization
  Jacqueline:But if the rep manages to get work doone on behalf of the ALS, what's the problem?
  Siranush Vardanyan:and +1 with Alberto on having NGOs as ALSs
  vanda:JAckie, no problem at all in my view
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I would think that is quite usual  in many ALKSes ( not the 3K size of course  many smaller and a few much larger exist ;-) Siranush
  Glenn McKnight:@siranush   organizations have  special  committees  responsible for  a  task.   I think this needs to be clear.  We do run into problems  of  people who leave and their  replacement isn't done
  Siranush Vardanyan:agree, Cheryl
  Siranush Vardanyan:yes, Glenn, this is true and we in APRALO are facing this issue a lot
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:in my country the term NGO  has specific meaning  and would be for too restrictive  to use for ALSes
  Jacqueline:Ous as well.
  Jacqueline:ours
  Siranush Vardanyan:NGO=non governmental organization in my point
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Kivuva: I do not think that we can mandate what ALSes do in their activities? But are you suggesting we should not accept ALSes that have overlapping interests?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Exactly Alan  AP is again an example there
  Jacqueline:If that is so, then we'd have no ALSes from developing countries
  Jacqueline:becasue we all have to focus on everything
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:In LACRALO ALS votes are apportioned on a country level. So 3 ALSes in 1 country each get 1/3 vote. 2 get 1/2 etc.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:paraphrasing 1/3 vote. I'm just speaking of proportions as a propotion of the total voting membership
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:a quote from Wikipeadia => A non-governmental organization (NGO) is an organization that is neither a part of a government nor a conventional for-profit business. Usually set up by ordinary citizens, NGOs may be funded by governments, foundations, businesses, or private persons.
  Glenn McKnight:@all     In our  ALS   we have three mandates  and our  IEEE, ISOC, ARIN and ICANN  porfolio is my responsibility.  We are  sponsoring two members to come to DUBLIN to become more involved.
  Jacqueline:Similarly with commercial interests - people can work for commercial entities but participate in an ALS in thier personal capacity
  Carlos Vera / ISOC Ecuador:Saluos a todos desde Ecuador..
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Welcome Carlos
  Silvia Vivanco:Please note the ALS application form includes this question: c.    Do you have governmental bodies, or quasi-governmental bodies, as members of your organisation?    Indicate Yes or No: ___________    IF YES: Please describe their nature and role in the decision-making and work of your organization, and the proportion of the total membership made up of these types of organization
  Jacqueline:Absolutely, Cheryl.
  Beran Gillen:+1 cheryl
  Jacqueline:Govt and commercial $$ is sometimes the only funding available
  vanda:+ 1 cheryl
  Jason Hynds:: Low participation numbers are ok if it is useful participation. However, I think that ALSes may be struggling with numbers participating if local outreach and communication are neglected. There are programmes within the ICANN's DPRD such as the Fellowship and NextGen, participants from ALSes should be feeding candidates towards those at the very least to try to improve local participation levels. Persons studying aspects related to ICANN work should be low hanging fruit for exposing to ICANN and some could sustain participation.
  Siranush Vardanyan:that's great that organization can fund participation, but for non governmentals and non business entities it is difficult
  Maureen Hilyard:In my ALS I have members who work for the government, are self-employed, or work for various private sector organisations and they all contribute their personal perspectives to any discussions that we have together and decisions are consensus driven
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:my call dropped so I did not hear :-(
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I'm back on now :-)
  Jacqueline:I think we should also iniclude beyond this the responsibiliteis of ICANN/ALAC to the ALSes
  Glenn McKnight:@ Jason  not all the RALO's  participate with the Fellowship.   EURALO and  NARALO  don't qualify.  
  Beran Gillen:welcome back ocl
  Glenn McKnight:@Jason  the fellowship  program is a very good  entry point for  future  volunteers
  vanda:Glenn totally agree. the best members came from there
  Jason Hynds:Good point Glenn... we should help with other entry mechanisms for those who don't qualify under those programmes. Some sponsorship needs to start from the local level as well.
  Glenn McKnight:@Jason  we  are  going to work on sponsorship from ARIN  with specific  sponsorship for  our  NARALO  ALS  to participate
  Heidi Ullrich:As Staff are members of this group, I would suggest more frequent reporting. Perhaps 2 or 3 times per year. These reports can be short and even in template format.
  Glenn McKnight:@heidi.  This is  what   I worked on
  Glenn McKnight:@Heidi  Dev is  seeing how the template can work with Confluence
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:The reporting is more from the ALSes themselves, not just the RALO one
  Roosevelt King:An organisation exists when the members decide they exist. This is different from being registered. Note that an organisation must exist before it can be registered.
  vanda:LACNIC normally help members her to attend meetings in our region
  Jacqueline:Does it matter if a group is trying to gain accreditation from another organisation, if the group is formed in the country and is working ?
  Glenn McKnight:@Dev  yes  you are correct  and the report needs to be very brief
  Roosevelt King:Correct Jacqueline.
  Glenn McKnight:A  few  years ago  Garth and I created  a  pre-application in Google  doc  for  pre applications
  Jacqueline:+1 Alan
  Yrjö Länsipuro:Alan +1
  Silvia Vivanco:Please nore this : Guidelines Relevant to All Applicants:1. There is no requirement that an organization be legally constituted, or otherwise, or of anyparticular structure, excepting as otherwise provided in these Guidelines.
  Silvia Vivanco:as stated in ALAC/2007/SD/2.Rev7ORIGINAL: EnglishDATE: 23rd July 2007STATUS: FINAL
  Nathalie  Peregrine:There is an issue also with the Regional restrictions on ALSes, with organizations focussing on global issues, rather than Regional belonging: ISOC Disabled and Special Needs Chapter
  vanda:Not only that, Alan, some countries NGOS are in danger As I could check .
  Glenn McKnight:isoc  Disabled  etc  is a  NARALO  ALS
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Exacty, and subscribed to NARALO lists, until leadership changes region.
  Nathalie  Peregrine:And we have to take that into account.
  Silvia Vivanco:we cannot hear Olivier
  Glenn McKnight:I  assume we are on the ALS  Process  we need  a chart of the process, timelines ,  frequency, rejection rate   etc
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:The tracking of ALS certification is carefully mnaged and recorded...  the process was subect to review and agreement post an ombudsmans enquiry re the system we used years ago Glen
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:sorry  missed an N glenn
  Glenn McKnight:No  problem
  Glenn McKnight:I  think it's  important  to  document  the results of the applications
  Nathalie  Peregrine:The entire process is documented
  Carlos Vera / ISOC Ecuador:Agree with Alberto
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:staff can put the link to that page  perhaps here Glenn  or send it later to the list it is reviewed at many ALAC Meetings
  Beran Gillen:No audio???
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Hearing Alan just fine, Beran
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Single
  Jacqueline:I'd perfer the single list
  Glenn McKnight:@nathalie  since the Application Process is  a topic,  of this call  I assume  this  is  reviewing the effectiveness
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:single
  Yrjö Länsipuro:Single list!
  Maureen Hilyard:single
  vanda:single
  vanda:single
  Alberto Soto:single
  Beran Gillen:its back was breaking
  Nathalie  Peregrine:The tracking document is here, not sure how open it is to viewing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oaSTT9CUH1XG1_Y4SZo2_Hvi_TNwtlqNrwF6fMKkK_o/edit#gid=0
  Siranush Vardanyan:single from my side as well
  vanda:fair
  Siranush Vardanyan:thank you and bye
  vanda:thank you all nice week end
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:take care all
  Jacqueline:Bye
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Bye all
  Carlos Vera / ISOC Ecuador:thank you bye
  Alberto Soto:thanks, bye!!!
  Ron Sherwood:Thank you and Bye All
  Maureen Hilyard:thanks Alan and all, bye

• No labels