ALAC Monthly Teleconference

Meeting Number: AL.ALAC/CC.0411/1

Date: Tuesday, 26 April 2011

Time: 1400 - 1530 UTC

(For the time in various timezones click here)

Adobe Connect Meeting Room:

Interpretation Available: Yes (EN, FR, ES - Simultaneous)

How can I participate in this meeting?

Comment est-ce qu'on peut participer à la téléconférence?

¿Cómo se puede participar en la teleconferencia?

Who is on the dial-out list for this call?

*ALAC Participants: *Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Gareth Shearman, Edmon Chung, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Mohamed El Bashir, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Evan Leibovitch

Liaisons/Guests: Ron Sherwood, Alan Greenberg, Sebastien Bachollet, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Wolf Ludwig

Apologies: Sandra Hoferrichter, Sylvia Herlein Leite, Cintra Sooknanan, Jean Jacques Subrenat, Carlton Samuels, Dave Kissoondoyal

Absent: James Seng, Marc Rotenberg, Sergio Salinas Porto

Staff: Seth Greene, Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber-White, Matt Ashtiani

Interpreters: (FR) & (ES): Maya - FR and Dereck - ES

Action Items:EN, FR, ES

Adopted Motions: EN, FR, ES

Transcription: EN, FR, ES

Recording: EN, FR, ES

Chat: EN

Documents (EN):

Summary Minutes: EN

A G E N D A - Draft

I.  Standing Agenda Items

1.  Adoption of the agenda; call for Any Other Business or other amendments – Olivier (2 min)

2.  Roll call; apologies from members, if any-- Staff (Gisella) (1 min)

3.  Review of Action Items from ALAC meeting of 17 March 2011-- Olivier (5 min)

4.  Review of Current ALS applications – Staff  (3 min)

European Media Platform (EURALO)

The Ukrainian Internet Association (EURALO)

Netmission.Asia (APRALO) 


5.  Reports – Olivier (1 min)

See At-Large Reports from WGs, RALOs and Liaisons wiki page.

Note:  Usually, no discussion of these reports is scheduled for this meeting; the above link is for information only.  Any WG or RALO Chair/Liaison seeking to discuss his/her report or a related decision is asked (i) to edit the relevant agenda section under Items for Decision or Items for Discussion before the meeting or (ii) to raise the item when Any Other Business is called for under agenda item 1, before adoption of the agenda.

II.  New Business

Items for Decision

6.  Review and revise time-lines on Policy Advice Development Calendar -- Carlton and Olivier (10 min)

See ICANN Web site Public Comment page for all currently open public consultations.

Does the ALAC wish to comment on these open public consultations?

7. At-Large WG on Future Challenges:  Next steps – Olivier and Jean-Jacques (10 min)

Discussion to include:

  • Charter;
  • Determining membership and leadership (see link above);
  • Determining which current WGs this new WG would consume (see At-Large WGs); and
  • Potential concerns:  Diverting people's time, redoing work already done by past WGs (e.g., WG on At-Large Engagement in ICANN), access to past WGs' archives & information.

8.  Formal vote of thanks to Staff for Confluence Wiki Guide (available in 6 UN languages) – Olivier (5 min)

Items for Discussion

9.  Proposed ALAC Statement to the ICANN Board on the RAA Negotiations -- Olivier (5 min)

10. Board resolution on Consumer Choice, Competition and Innovation -- Olivier (5 min)

Discussion to include: 

  • Identification of cross-regional links; and
  • Context provided by Sebastien 

11.  Identification of data to be shared with registrars – Olivier (5 min)

For Information: Summary Notes and Action Items from At-Large Meeting with Registrars in San Francisco

Discussion to include:

  • Registrars’ to-do list: 
    • Produce educational products for end users/consumers (by next meeting)
    • Develop 3--4 more education/outreach ideas (and identify who will work on them)
  • No need to meet with registrars in Singapore; instead, Staff-to-Staff communication.

12.  Danny Younger's comment regarding cyber-squatting registrar -- Cheryl (5 min)

Comment:  "For what it's worth, I would like to see the ALAC release a statement that says:  We have taken note of yet another lawsuit naming an ICANN accredited registrar as a serial cybersquatter.  We call upon the ICANN Compliance Department to act to eliminate the rogue registrars within our midst.  For details see:"

13.  Cross-Community Work Groups (C-WGs) -- Cheryl (10 min)

Geographical Regions Review WG

SO-AC New gTLD Applicant Support Working Group (JAS WG)

Joint DNS Security and Stability WG (DNSSSA WG)

Study Group on Names of Countries & Territories

Technology Evolution of WHOIS Service

ccNSO Framework of Interpretation Working Group - ALAC invited to appoint one representative. 

Discussion to include:

  • Explanation of C-WGs with which ALAC members not familiar
  • Who are ALAC observers?  On which C-WGs does ALAC still need observers?
  • Which C-WGs are just beginning?  Of others, when are reports expected?

Items for Information

14.  Call for Community Volunteers for IDN Variant TLD Case Study Teams -- Olivier (5 min)


15.  Any Other Business – Olivier (5 min)


Items For Decision

  • No labels