IMPORTANT: The process for posting nominations is as follows: 1) Nominations, including self-nominations must be made directly to their RALO’s mailing list; followed by 2) Nominations must be posted to the or by sending a note to At-Large staff.
Positions Open for selections in 2019
|Position||Role Previously Held By||Nominee||Nominated By||Date Accepted||Results||Term to Serve|
(Eligible for re-appointment)
|Maureen Hilyard||Holly Raiche|
Maureen Hilyard by acclamation
|2019 AGM to 2021 AGM|
|ALAC Member (NomCom)|
(Appointed by the NomCom
Eligible for re-selection)
|2019 AGM to 2021 AGM|
(Eligible for re-appointment)
|Lianna Galstyan||Amrita Choudhury|
|Lianna Galstyan||2019 AGM to 2021 AGM|
|Aris Ignacio||Shreedeep Rayamajhi|
APRALO Selection Timetable for 2019 ALAC Members:
29 April 2019- Announcement of call for nominations and Nominee's Statement.
29 April – 10 May 2019 - Nomination period (nominations accepted for 10 working days).
17 May 2019 - Deadline for nomination acceptances
20 May - 22 May 2019 - Calls with the candidates if desired by the RALOs.
23 May - 30 May 2019 - Elections (If required, elections will begin no later than one week after the deadline for nomination acceptances and end no later than two weeks after that deadline).
2019 AGM [ ICANN 66 ] - Newly elected ALAC Members and RALOs Leaders shall be seated at the end of the 2019 AGM following the close of the Board Meeting on 7 November 2019.
RELEVANT RULES OF PROCEDURES
The following extract of APRALO Rules of Procedure are relevant to this process:
Section D: Selections, Elections and Appointments
28. General Provisions
28.1 According to the ICANN by-laws, the APRALO appointments, and selections should be made wherever possible by Consensus, but failing that, elections can always be used and the methodology for such is outlined in these RoP.
28.2 Elections and selections can take place by electronic mail, online ballot, written ballot, or any other convenient and accurate means that are deemed to provide appropriate degree of confidentiality.
29 Procedures for the Selection of Leaders and the APRALO Leadership Team
29.1 Ordinary Leadership selections
29.1.1 Ordinary selections of the APRALO Chair and Vice Chair(s) shall be held so as to have the new selections prior to the start of the end of June each year. The selection should preferably be completed at least three weeks prior to the start of the June/July ICANN Meeting to facilitate travel arrangements IF the selectee is expected to attend that ICANN Meeting. They are expected however to attend the ICANN Meeting were the ICANN AGM is held and where they will effectively 'take their seats' for the roles that are appointed to.
CRITERIA FOR CANDIDATES
Participation in APRALO and ALAC meetings and activities.
Knowledge of ICANN's structure and functions, including knowledge of its SO/ACs.
Willingness to spend the time that is expected of NomCom members (noting that there are weekly calls of over 2 hours each week)
Ability to retain confidential information
Good analytical skills. Human resources background is considered useful.
Self-nominations are welcome. Self-nominations are deemed to also act as formal acceptance of 'nomination'.
ALAC Voting Delegates to the NomCom for 2019-2020
The ICANN Bylaws require that the ALAC, in consultation with the RALOs, appoints five voting members of the NomCom, one per ICANN region. Voting members of the NomCom are appointed for a one year term, starting at the close of the 2019 Annual General Meeting and ending at the 2020 Annual General Meeting, and may be re-appointed for a further term of one year subject to the requirement under the.
- The ALAC shall, after consultation with each RALO, annually appoint five voting delegates (no two of whom shall be citizens of countries in the same Geographic Region, as defined according to Section 5 of Article VI to the Nominating Committee.
VII-3.1 Each voting delegate shall serve a one-year term. A delegate may serve at most two successive one-year terms, after which at least two years must elapse before the individual is eligible to serve another term.
Voting delegate to the NomCom may not serve more than two consecutive terms.
Criteria for NomCom Delegates
The NomCom is responsible for selecting members of the ICANN Board, ALAC, ccNSO and GNSO. This is a very important function and all candidates should meet important criteria.
- Familiarity with the ICANN groups to which the NomCom appoints (Board, ALAC, GNSO, ccNSO).
- Ability to judge people (such as when interviewing and hiring).
- Comfortable and preferably fluent with English (listening, reading, speaking).
- Good on-line skills such as on Google & Social media
- Time Commitment - Must be willing to devote substantial time under tight deadlines (March-June). Will involve travel to up to 4 meetings.
- Ability work in a group environment, standing up for what you believe in a discussion with other "strong" people, but at the same time, must be a good listener and be willing to change your mind if someone else has a good argument. Diplomacy is important.
RALOs may recommend one or more candidates to the ALAC. The appointment if NomCom delegates is done by the ALAC and RALO recommendations are not binding.
Selection Schedule for 2019 ALAC Delegates to the NomCom (One year term: 2019 AGM - 2020 AGM*)
To be determined.
*NOTES ON NOMINATIONS
- All nominees are expected to submit a brief statement explaining why they believe they are a suitable candidate and must also complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).
- No one who is currently serving on the Nominating Committee may be nominated for the ALAC. See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en#VII-8
|Role Previously Held By||Nominee|
Nominated by /
|Date Accepted||Nominee's Statement|
Regional Candidate(s) Recommended to the ALAC
ALAC Appointed Delegates to the NomCom
|Nadira Al-Araj |
(NOT eligible for re-appointment)
|EOI||Amrita Choudury to be recommended to the ALAC by acclamation.|