November Report

EURALO- CENTR MOU Update

EURALO Chair, Olivier Crepin-Leblond (OCL) communicated to the EURALO members by email that on Tuesday 13th November 2018, the Chair of the Board of Directors of CENTR, the Council of European National Top-Level Domain Registries and representative for DENIC Jörg Schweiger, will be co-signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with him for the purpose of collaboration between EURALO and CENTR.

OCL elaborates that the collaboration between CENTR and EURALO will be based on a mutual agreement listed as follow:

1) Regularly updating each other on areas and activities of mutual interest;

2) Encouraging awareness of each other’s activities and mission among their respective members;

3) Promoting Internet development in the European region by encouraging participation in fora relating to Internet standards, policy development, and Internet governance;

4) Promoting an open, bottom-up, multistakeholder Internet governance model;

5)  Raising awareness about the DNS and its importance in maintaining an open Internet;

6) Collaborating on joint capacity-building events and related activities of mutual interest, including meetings, training courses, projects and workshops in the areas of Internet policy and Internet governance.

EURALO Activities at  Global Internet Governance Forum (IGF), Paris 2018, France

EURALO signing MoU with CENTR at IGF Paris

The text below was an email sent by the EURALO Chair, Olivier Crepin-Leblond (OCL) to the EURALO community, on the signing ceremony of the MOU between the EURALO and  CENTR at the 2018 IGF in Paris. 

"I am very pleased to sign this Memorandum with CENTR on behalf of EURALO. The aim of EURALO, as defined by our community, is to have at least one At-Large Structure in every country of our region. Collaborating with CENTR will reinforce the multistakeholder model that has already generated great opportunities, starting with National and Regional IGFs. Thanks to CENTR for considering this collaboration and to AFNIC for proposing that we sign this document at the IGF in Paris." 

More info and pictures on https://community.icann.org/display/EURALO/2018+MOU+EURALO+-+CENTR

EURALO Call 20 November, 19 UTC

EURALO Chair (OCL) talked briefly of previous action items and then asked members if the agenda is OK or for any additions. 

EURALO meeting discussion was largely dominated by the following action items.

Action items

Annette Mühlberg to report on the status of the topic Framework of interpretation at the next EURALO monthly call. Olivier Crepin-Leblond and EURALO members to organize a Webinar on the topic. This was again renewed as an item to be confirmed pending progress from the work of the Cross Community Working Party on Human Rights.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond to send the 2017 Hot Topics Draft to the EURALO ALS Engagement Task Force with the task to get a copy of the other RALOs Hot topic surveys and adjust it to EURALO's needs. 

https://community.icann.org/display/EURALO/EURALO+Hot+Topics+2018 

EURALO’s By-Laws Task Force to follow up on the relevant action items of the EURALO GA, such as analyzing the pros/cons of including a Treasurer in the new By-Laws. EURALO By-Laws Task Force examines the advantages, constraints, and costs of having a postal and/or physical address in Switzerland,  including mailboxes. Postal address http://www.maildrop.ch and for a physical address: https://myswissmailaddress.com/en

Yesim Nazlar to add Joanna Kulesza to the EURALO By-Laws Task Force and membership table.

Silvia Vivanco to add the Links to the Macron speech (FR and EN)  to be added to the IGF 2018 Paris wiki page. 

Olivier Crepin-Leblond to include a report on FY 20 Budget Request from the EURALO representatives to the FBSC in the Agenda of the Next EURALO monthly call. 

Olivier Crepin-Leblond to send the link with the announcement https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2018-11-19-en of the "The Eastern European DNS Forum Comes to Moscow" to EURALO's mailing list.

Appointments

ALAC Subcommittee on Finance and Budget (FBSC)

EURALO Chair, Olivier Crepin-Leblond (as an FBSC participant), Bastiaan Goslings and Wale Bakare were selected to continue as members representing EURALO on the ALAC Subcommittee on Finance and Budget (FSBC) 2018 - 2019.  https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/ALAC+Subcommittee+on+Finance+and+Budget

ALAC Appointee Selection Committee (AASC) for ALAC Fellowship Program Mentor. Nenad Marinkovic was confirmed to continue as EURALO member on the ALAC Appointee Selection Committee (AASC) 2018 - 2019. https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/ALAC+Subcommittee+on+Appointee+Selection

EURALO October Report

A. EURALO October Call 09/10/2018

The October call focused mainly on the review of different calls for the upcoming public comment of Working Groups (WGs). EURALO Chair, Olivier Crépin-Leblond (OCL) urged EURALO members to participate in the different WGs. 
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=74587834

The EURALO General Assembly in Barcelona, ICANN63 meeting was touched briefly.  CENTR-EURALO MoU: EURALO made an application to the CENTR as an observer member of the CENTR. Christopher Wilkinson (CW) was going to attend the CENTR meeting in Belgium, to support the EURALO application. OCL to invite someone from CENTR to the General Assembly with the aim of signing the MOU at the ICANN63 meeting.  

B. ICANN 63 Meeting,  Barcelona: 19 - 26 October 2018

EURALO General Assembly, October 24, 2018

1. Roll Call both in the room and online and Kick off at 17.17 Barcelona Time.

2. Last meeting recording transcript and its adoption: No comment from EURALO members and the recording was adopted.

3. The first guest speaker, Alan Greenberg, spoke about EURALO's meticulous way of doing things and its good organization. He commended EURALO organization for that. (AG) talked about the At-Large Review, and thanked Olivier's efforts and tasks for EURALO. The next speaker, new incoming ALAC Chair, Maureen Hilyard talked about her experience of coming to EURALO meeting and she will be participating in regional monthly meetings.  She mentioned the new At-Large work structure to integrate the regional leaders.

4. Jean-Jacques Subrenat (JJS2) asked about the feedback of IANA transition sent to the At-Large staff.

5. JJS2 commented on the ByLaws relating to a physical address. Olivier stated that EURALO is not part of ICANN org but has got a MoU with ICANN organization. JJS2  suggested investigating the use of one’s personal address or a third party address in Switzerland.

Action Items

a. Investigate the repercussions of an EURALO bank account and physical address 

6.  Yrjö Lansipuro (YL) briefed participants about the EURALO ALS Engagement Task Force  - YL spoke about the work of the engagement task force and suggested we should update the list for all ALSes, to properly check that the topics are within the remit of ICANN. 

 a. Joanna Kulesza (JK) commented that she will volunteer to do some works on outreach in Poland. 

Discussion on Greater Collaboration and Communication with the GSE Regional: ICANN VPs for regional leaders attended the Regional Leadership meeting. 

Alexandra Kulikova (AK), Head of Global Stakeholder Engagement for Eastern and Central Europe commented that she attended some regional events where she meets EURALO members. She also mentioned one key challenge - geographical issue. She then mentioned the next Russia IGF 2019 meeting in June/July where she would like to meet some of the ALSes.

https://community.icann.org/display/EURALO/Agenda+2018+EURALO+General+Assembly

https://community.icann.org/display/EURALO

C.  CENTR-EURALO MoU signing

EURALO Chair, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond (OCL) email to the members on the CENTR-MOU update: OCL said that he has sent a version of the MoU with further amendments proposed by the EURALO Board, but it looks like CENTRare ready to sign during the IGF week in Paris. Three options for a signing ceremony were explored, including signing at an event organized by AFNIC/.FR. The choice of ceremony depends primarily on CENTR & AFNIC.

EURALO September 2018 Report

EURALO September Call  

The September call focused on the review of the regional, global ongoing, and upcoming activities including the calls for public comments, as well as action items, and the EURALO General Assembly taking place in Barcelona on 24th October 2018 during the ICANN 63 meeting.  

The in-coming ALAC Chair, Maureen Hilyard (MH) spoke about her vision which includes a change to the ALAC Leadership Team (ALT) and the At-Large review implementation timeline. She said “ our ALT team is no longer just the ALAC Leadership team. It is the At-Large Leadership Team” and this team includes RALO Leaders.

MH said that the idea of At-Large Leadership Team (ALT) is to make ALAC, Liaisons, and Regional Leaders work together, to promote, encourage and get more involved.

MH presented an organizational chart structured as - “ALAC at the top in the yellow, the middle line is with the ALAC and regional leaders, the At-Large leadership team. And the next level down are the people who are not ALAC” [link or copy].

Jean-Jacques Subrenat (JJS) congratulated MH on her appointment as the incoming ALAC Chair, then commended her on the distribution of responsibilities within ALAC, the At-Large leadership team including the liaisons.

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond (OCL) remarked that he wanted to understand better the organizational chart and communication pathway mentioned by MH.

MH commented that the chart is still a draft, but the process would include having consolidated policy team leaders, which would work with the working groups and cascade feedback to the ALAC and At-Large. MH said the underlined process is to enable everyone gets the feeling of At-Large.

OCL talked about the CROP travel community regional outreach program for fiscal year FY19. He said that EURALO has only three slots; one is for ICANN 63 meeting in Barcelona and the other two to be decided at EURALO ALS Engagement meeting, chaired by Yrjo Lansipuro.

OCL updated attendees about the proposed EURALO MoU with CENTR-  the European organization of country code top-level domains. On that, OCL said he already had preliminary discussions with CENTR’s general manager,  Peter Van Roste.

Leon Sanchez ( LS), ICANN Board Member selected by At-Large, mentioned that a public ICANN Board meeting will be taking place in Brussels on September 16. He encouraged EURALO members to try attending the meeting.  The agenda will follow-up on the GAC advice to the Panama communique, the root server strategy, the discussion regarding the KSK rollover and the appointment of the 2019 Nominating Committee Chair and Chair-Elect.

CROP: EURALO Outreach Strategic Plan   

In his email to the EURALO Board, EURALO Chair, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond (OCL) - advised that the CROP Financial Year 18 process has been completed and opened the CROP Financial Year 19 process.

That was followed with the draft of EURALO Outreach Strategic Plan by the EURALO Board members as well as the ALS engagement Task Force, it is available on:

https://community.icann.org/display/CROP19/EURALO+Outreach+Strategic+Plan

EURALO August Report 2018 

There was no August EURALO call due to the traditional summer break in Europe. Monthly activities in August were focused on a number of follow-ups and mainly on the preparation of the EURALO General Assembly coming in Barcelona during the ICANN 63 meeting between October 19 - 26, 2018. 

Work continued on other EURALO activities such as the EURALO Outreach Strategic plan, CROP etc. 


EURALO July 2018 Report

 A. EURALO Call July 10, 2018, 17:00 UTC


Annette Mühlberg (AM) commented about the action item of the previous meeting.  AM said she is still gathering materials about the task assigned to her.

EURALO Chair, Olivier Crépin-Leblond (OCL) introduced the in-coming ALAC chair, Maureen Hilyard (MH) to EURALO members present at the call.

OCL suggested that maybe we schedule a Q&A session with in-coming ALAC Chair, Maureen in next call, September call perhaps.

At-Large representative in ICANN Board, Leon Sanchez (LS) made a brief talk. Then LS said about the collaboration of ICANN Board with ISOC Board about ALSes and ISOC Chapters.

OCL commented that ISOC Chapter engagement with other organizations and said would be interesting to get some feedback from members, if by email on the collaboration.

Heidi Ullrich (HU) said, “there are plans for ALSes/ISOC Chapters to share a booth at the IGF in Paris”.

Sébastien Bachollet (SB) said it is the responsibility of the ALSes, based on the bottom-up approach of the multi-stakeholder practice.

OCL reported that ALAC would likely have a meeting with the Root Server System Advisory Committee (RSSAC) in ICANN63 in Barcelona, whether someone from Internet end-users would be included in the committee.

OCL commented about GDPR issues – post-GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) - development and accreditation and access to Non-public WHOIS Data Post-GDPR.

OCL further commented that there many policies currently being reviewed such as RSSAC (Root Server System Advisory Committee) Review.

OCL mentioned the Expedited Policy Development Process (EPDP) on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data.

SB commented on the Root Server System Advisory Committee (RSSAC) Review team.

 1. FY19 Financials

 OCL said that ICANN has now reduced the CROP to 3 representatives. OCL suggested that we may need to move the CROP requests to September or October.

RALO Discretionary funds: Yrjo Lansipuro (YL) mentioned the funding workspace and $4,000 per ALS. https://community.icann.org/display/CRALO/RALO+Requests+for+Funding+to+support+an+Outreach+Activity

 Heidi Ullrich (HU) said that the approval of $4,000 per RALO includes a request for RALO activities but now including travel, hotel and per diem. In previous years, these items were not allowed, except for local travel.

Silvia Vivanco (SV) said, “$4,000 each for targeted local discretionary funds to permit the local travel, luncheons, displays, graphic and promotional Facebook/Twitter graphics”.

CROP discussion to be included in September call.

 2. Panama Policy Discussion

YL said chair of the Geographical names, WT5 was pushing for compromising about Capital cities.

OCL mentioned about the At-Large Strategic and brainstorming, where members may form a group and have discussions.

SB suggested that he hopes people from EURALO participate in the EPDP and others. SB further commented that “barring issues that elongate this process, the proposed timeline is:- EoI issued Monday, 09 July;- ALAC evaluation of responses begins Thursday, 12 July;- ALT synthesis of evaluation and final selection Saturday, 14 July - Monday, 16 July;- Announcement and scheduling of EPDP prospective Members/Alternates Tuesday, 17 July”.

Action items:

*Olivier Crepin-Leblond to include a Q&A session with Maureen Hilyard, incoming ALAC Chair, at the September EURALO call.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond and Wale Bakare to update the EURALO events calendar with 2018 events.

*CROP discussion to be included in the September EURALO call.

*Yrjo Lansipuro and Olivier Crepin-Leblond will send a request for EOI and will start contacting ALS interested in Privacy topics for EPDP.

 OCL announced that the EURALO candidate recommended for NomCom as a result of the RALO’s selection process, was not automatically ratified by the ALAC to sit on the Nomcom. But ALAC is yet to provide further details to EURALO about the outcome of their selection.

EURALO chair announced that due to the summer holiday break, there is no call in August and the next call will take place in September.

 B. EURALO’s New ALS Application

The Asociación Grupo de Estudio e Investigación Académica en Derecho, Economía y Negocios en la Sociedad de la Información,

 (Association Study  Group and     Academic      Research       in         Law,    Economics, and            Business       in         the      Information    Society) application as EURALO ALS member has been received and this will follow a due diligence by the ICANN At-Large staff. The association is based in Palma de Mallorca, Spain.

C. At-Large Regional Leadership Conference Call 19/07/2018

 1. RALO Topic

Olivier Crépin-Leblond (OCL) commented that the topic of best practices to improve two-way communications to be included in the Barcelona meeting Agenda.

 2.Regional Outreach and Engagement: CROP

 OCL to contact RALO co-chairs (once selected) of the ALAC outreach & engagement (O &E) working group, who will be working on their respective O&E plans. https://community.icann.org/display/CROP19/NARALO+Outreach+Strategic+Plan

 3.CROP Review Team

CROP Review Team and CROP Program Coordinator discussion: The CROP Review Team (CROP RT) will be constituted to review the CROP application and CROP PC will be retired soon. https://community.icann.org/display/CROP19/CROP+Contacts

 Heidi Ullrich (HU) said - if there is no Public Meeting or official ICANN meeting occurring in that RALO’s region in that FY, a meeting in that region that is assessed by the relevant regional Global Stakeholder Engagement (GSE) regional vice-president as being: (i) directly and demonstrably related to ongoing ICANN policy, advisory or technical activities (e.g. a Regional Internet Registry meeting), and (ii) consistent with the ICANN Organization’s outreach plan for that region.

OCL mentioned that RT and PC are the same people. OCL suggested we abolished the RT whilst retaining the Program Coordinators to help with the local filing of CROP requests.

As an Action Item, HU said all RALOs unanimously recommend to the ALAC that the CROP RT be eliminated.  Staff to reach out to the RALOs to designate 2 new CROP Program coordinators.

https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=43982055

4. CROP Travel Reports for Financial Year 2018 (FY18) - July 2017 to June 2018

The financial year 2018 (FY18), is the year’s CROP funded travels were a real success and that the travel reports are available from https://community.icann.org/display/soaceoutreach/EURALO+Approved+Forms

and
https://community.icann.org/display/soaceoutreach/EURALO+Trip+Assessment+1+DRAFT
https://community.icann.org/display/soaceoutreach/EURALO+Trip+Assessment+2+DRAFT
https://community.icann.org/display/soaceoutreach/EURALO+Trip+Assessment+3+DRAFT

 5. Criteria for the RALO FY19 Discretionary Funding

RALO Requests for Funding to support an Outreach Activity - At-Large staff to add the criteria to a google doc so all RALO leadership can comment on it.

HU to draft criteria text on travel and to add the point that individuals are eligible for RALO Discretionary Funding.

https://community.icann.org/display/CRALO/RALO+Requests+for+Funding+to+support+an+Outreach+Activity?preview=%252F64071154%252F88574150%252FFY19+RALO+DISCRETIONARY+FUNDING+REQUEST+FORM.docx

6.ALS Criteria and Expectations

Alan Greenberg to consolidate the various documents and papers on the ALS Criteria and Expectations and send it to the At-Large Review implementation WG (ARI WG).

RALO Survey - Heidi Ullrich to look at the Survey and its uses and get back to the group. Staff to inform the ARIWG of the draft text for the survey and request review.

OCL to inform SC on O/E of timeline for the survey.

Staff to take the first swipe at updating the Regional Leadership wiki pages to be re-designed, updated and to archive old wikis and re-organize them.

Staff to arrange for professional photos, just like the AFRALO’s  https://community.icann.org/display/AFRALO


EURALO June 2018 Report

1.EuroDIG 2018: June 2- 6 2018 in Tbilisi, Georgia

The three EURALO CROP travellers to EuroDIG 2018 are Clement Genty, Oksana Prykhodko, and Andrei Kolesnikov. The CROP travelers’ reports are on https://community.icann.org/display/soaceoutreach/EURALO+Trip+Assessment+3+DRAFT
The EURALO members present at EuroDIG, Tbilisi, had a photograph with the ICANN President & CEO Göran Marby. Details on EURALO-ICANN AtLarge Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/EURALO/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

2. EURALO FY18 RALO Discretionary Funding Status

Heidi Ullrich (HU) communicated to the EURALO community, informing members that the end of ICANN Financial Year 2018 (FY18) is 30 June. HU said that EURALO has $649.50 remaining in the RALO discretionary fund. https://community.icann.org/display/CRALO/RALO+Requests+for+Funding+to+support+an+Outreach+Activity

It was decided that the remaining amount would be used to make promotional pins and stickers for the forthcoming ICANN meeting in Barcelona.

3. EURALO call, June 19 18.00 UTC

HU commented that CROP issue would be discussed in Panama, ICANN62 meeting.

 Olivier Crépin-Leblond (OCL) asked whether the new CROP will be restricted to a specific event or meeting.  HU said the discussion would be finalized in Panama.

 Yrjö Länsipuro (YL) said he is happy to discuss the At-Large activities in Panama.

In addition, SB said there are some works to be done in ICANN in the future like WS2 Accountability. SB cited ATRT3 as an example, mentioned the review team’s political undertone.   

Action Items

-Olivier Crepin-Leblond to follow up with Annette, once she is back in her office, to organize a Webinar on the topic Framework of Interpretation and to develop a checklist for human rights impact assessment.

-  Olivier Crepin-Leblond to follow up with Staff EURALO to consider a panel or talk to participate in "Re:publica" in 2019 and add this to EURALO's strategic plan.

- Yrjö Länsipuro to follow up on the FY9 RALO Discretionary funds to fund local activities for RALOs.

- Yrjö Länsipuro and Olivier Crepin-Leblond to solicit input from ALS who work with privacy and GDPR to provide comments on the ICANN Seeking Community Feedback on Proposed Unified Access Model.

4. Social Media Working Group (SoMe WG) 

John Laprise said the working group is to look at how we use social media. JL is looking for 3/5 individuals to coordinate, sharing content and active participants within EURALO perspective. Social media power users to start the work.

- Olivier, Oksana, Wale, and Yrjö volunteered to be members of the SoMe WG     

5. ALAC Chair: Call for Nominations

According to ALAC Chair, Alan Greenberg’s email to At-Large members, call for Nominations will remain open for no less than 14 days and will end at 23:59 on Monday, 18 June 2018.

6. ICANN62 Meeting, Panama 25 – 28 June 2018

ALAC Chair’s announcement: the out-going ALAC chair, Alan Greenberg announced that voting for the position of in-coming ALAC Chair has concluded.

The ALAC has chosen Maureen Hilyard as ALAC Chair for the period of one year, beginning at the end of the ICANN63 Annual General Meeting:

2018 ALAC Chair Vote

Report date: Thursday 28 June 2018 05:00 UTC

Poll ID: 145201
As at Poll close: Thursday 28 June 2018 04:59 UTC
Number of voters: 15 · Group size: 15 · Percentage voted: 100.00
Ranked by votes.




Rank

Options ID

Options

Votes

%

1

15944062

Maureen Hilyard

9

60.00

2

15944063

Tijani Ben Jemaa

6

40.00

3

15944064

Abstain

0

0.00

https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/2018+ALAC+and+RALO+Elections%2C+Selections+and+Appointments

The At-Large community members’ meetings and social events photos during ICANN62 in Panama

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glennmcknight/sets/72157695203494292

a.Geographic Names

Christopher Wilkinson (CW) commented that the ad-hoc process not the best way of selection. He stressed that the geographic region should take the interest of internet end-user across the globe.

b.Questions to ICANN CEO and President, Göran Marby

¤ What are your views about the purpose of ALAC/At-Large within ICANN?

¤ With the significant reduction in funds which have been used to do outreach (CROP, SO/AC Special Budget requests) how does he envision At-Large continue to do that component of our role?

¤ Would you care to comment on:

         - the relationship between ICANN and USG?

         - the relationship between ICANN and the European Commission?

 ¤ What are your views on the current Strengths, Weaknesses, opportunities, and threats in so far as the ICANN Organization and the ICANN Community are concerned.

 ¤ To the extent that this has not already been covered already this week, do you have any further comments on GDPR and WHOIS implications and what is ICANN expecting from the DPAs and the courts.

c. Questions and Answers Session with ICANN CEO and President, Göran Marby

Q1.  Olivier Crepin-Leblond (OCL) asked about the next round of new gTLDs: OCL said, David Olive, spoke to us about the next round of new gTLDs. Is it your belief there will be the next round? I thought the people hadn’t chosen that yet?

Ans1. Göran Marby (GM) said the decision is for the ICANN board to make on another round of new gTLDs.

Q2. The Global Indigenous Ambassador Program (GIAP) question from Judith Hellerstein (JH). JH asked if GIAP can get slots from the Fellowship program because of the program success.

Ans2: GM directed the question to David Olive (DO) to answer. DO responded that the ongoing public comment process is the best place to make comments about the Fellowship and GIAP slots. Alan Greenberg commented that a participant of the GIAP said it would be better to have the program funded separately rather than slot in Fellowship. GM responded that the issue is solely based on the budget process. GM mentioned that he would personally like to have more time for ICANN budget process, for the sake of balancing between the ICANN organization and ICANN community. In his conclusion, GM said the discussions should not just be about the CROP program or Fellowship program but community in general and increase the discussions about a better ICANN budget process.

Q3. Holly Raiche (HR) asked about the EPDP and GDPR policy issues. HR questioned that what sort of policy issues we are going to be talking about with respect to the strategic plan (if in place).

Ans3. GM answered that strategically ICANN has had 27 trends done. GM responded that one of the trends we have failed to talk about is the security of the root server system. The risks of DDoS attacks.

Quoted: And I have to give a compliment to the root server operators who just came up with, first time coming up with a joint plan. The details of it could be discussed and should be discussed, but the actual fact that they did it was important. So, that’s one of the trends. Economy financial, the development of the markets itself, are interesting notions and discussions.

But, it’s also another trend that comes is how do we actually do policy under … Now we have to learn to do it under the legislation. GDPR is the first time we sort of hindered [inaudible]. Hindered by making policies because there is a law that has a direct effect on our quickly to make policies.

Q4. Sebastien Bachollet (SB) asked that he would like to know ICANN CEO’s feeling about the current relationship between ICANN and the US Government and the European Commission.

Ans4. GM responded that ICANN has excellent relationships with many countries around the world as well as the European Commission. GM said no formal relationship with USG and ICANN is neutral in its dealings with countries. GM said about GDPR, ICANN deals with European Commission a lot simply because the GDPR came from it.

9.At-Large Regional Leaders Meeting – June 28, 13.30 – 15.00 Local Time.

d. RALO Hot Topics

EURALO Chair, Olivier Crepin-Leblond (OCL) presented the current situation about the EURALO hot-topics and suggested other RALOs should present updates with regards to their hot-topics.

Chair At-Large Regional Leaders meeting, Humberto Carrasco (HC) said he’s concerned about the hot-topics and said we should be focusing on data privacy, security vis-à-vis GDPR.

EURALO Chair, Olivier Crepin-Leblond (OCL) stated that EURALO hot-topics are being updated yearly, for example, the topics for 2017 were different to 2018. So also, the 2019 topics would be different to 2018.

Heidi Ullrich (HU) suggested that this group should work with ALAC on the policy issues.

EURALO May 2018 Report

A.     EURALO May call 

- Regional Outreach: EURALO Members at re:publica 2018 Belin, Germany

The EURALO members presented, about their experience during their participation in the re:publica event in Berlin, Germany.   

Matthias Hudobnik (MH) reported that the re:publica event was very interesting. He talked about the different people from various professional backgrounds were present at this year event. He tried to get people involved in ICANN issues such as Artificial Intelligence (AI). MH suggested that EURALO should apply for sessions in next year event (re:publica). He further stated that there is a good chance to get people into EURALO so that, they can get involved in ICANN issues. He stated that there were people with keen interest in, for example, General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

 Annette Muehlberg (AM) reported that the conference was very interesting but stressed that there is need to discuss ICANN issues, and expecting few to join the EURALO through different ALSes.

 Olivier Crépin-Leblond (OCL) asked whether people present at the conference have knowledge about ICANN.

AM responded that there a few people who have good knowledge about ICANN, as well some with little or no knowledge.

Sandra Hofrichter (SH) apologized that she leaves in Germany but unable to attend re:publica but will find out about the EuroDIG.

AM added in that there is a multistakeholder section in re:publica. And there are people more interested in IT infrastructure, political issue, the privacy issue.

- Joint Civil Society Outreach at ICANN 62

OCL reported that there is going to be the At-Large capacity session at ICANN62 in Panama. He said the NCSG asked whether At-Large could do a joint session – ( this was accepted). OCL suggested that people from next Gen should attend to get a better feel for ICANN issues.

  - EURALO at RIPE76 with a link to https://ripe76.ripe.net/programme/meeting-plan/ [ripe76.ripe.net]

RIPE76 meeting report from OCL – reporting that the meeting has been very interesting, the themes are about core technical issues such as IP addresses – IPv6.

OCL said later at other sessions, there will be talks about EURALO activities and ICANN, including the generic task force to happen on Thursday 17, May.

 OCL stated further that there is not much talk about the domain name registration - there are other members of EURALO community present at RIPE76 like Sébastien Bachollet (SB) and Bastiaan Goslings (BG).

B.   2018 EURALO Regional Selections/Elections  

https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/2018+EURALO+Regional+Selections

 EURALO chair, OCL stated that - there are two positions available for selection, but applications were received from three candidates.  The positions are 1) ALAC member 2) ALAC delegate to the NomCom. The ALAC member position is presently occupied by Bastiaan Goslings (BG) and he is eligible for re-appointment and the ALAC delegate to the NomCom, occupied by SH but she is not eligible for a re-appointment.

SB suggested that BG has so far filled in for an incomplete term and we should look for a consensus for him to complete his term. Members agreed with SB and EURALO chair, OCL said that a consensus call will be made for 48hours on EURALO mailing list, as per previous practice.  

 The position of ALAC delegate to the NomCom representing the European region has two candidates, they are:   

 1. Wolfgang Kleinwächter SOI: https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=84219847

 2. Anne-Marie Joly SOI: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/Anne-Marie+Joly+SOI

 Jean-Jacques Subrenat (JJS) commented that – “considering Wolfgang's exceptional experience throughout ICANN, and his personal characteristics, I wish to nominate him as the candidate for ALAC delegate to the NomCom representing the European region”.

 OCL was the first to present a question to the NomCom candidates he asked – “how can diversity be addressed at ICANN”?

 – Wolfgang responded that ICANN needs more candidates from developing the region, people with rich knowledge about ICANN such as jurisdiction, human rights etc.  

JJS then asked questions, said: “I would like to hear from each candidate to state - 1) what the challenges for NomCom are in 2019, 2) what strategies would they put in place to address the challenges?”

Wolfgang’s response to strategy question – stated that ICANN should not just be domain names sellers but embrace the evolving IT challenges.

Anne-Marie’s response to strategy question – stated that she would bring the experience and skills to improve the process of selection of people to ICANN different bodies.  

At-Large Social Media Working Group

OCL mentioned that John Laprise, the At-Large Social media Working Group chair is asking people to join the social media group. OCL commented that interested EURALO members to send email to the mailing list.

C. EURALO Webinar on General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), 29 May 2018  

The EURALO webinar took place on the 29 May 2018, the following speakers participated in the discussions of the GDPR:  

 2018-05-29 EURALO Webinar on General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

1.    EURALO chair, Olivier Crépin-Leblond welcomed the participants, then introduced the speakers.

 2.    The webinar focused on the stakeholder perspectives

  1. 25 May 2018 - GDPR enforcement is now live - how are ICANN and Contracted parties prepared? Speaker - Michele Neylon, a member of the EURALO Individual user & Registrar.

i.  A brief description of the latest version of ICANN "Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data"

  1. Letters from the Congress to US-based Registrars and Registries

i.  How a Registrar is coping with the GDPR

ii.  What is the court case ICANN vs. Epag

  1. Michele's Blog Post about the case
  2. Oksana Prykhodko spoke about how the GDPR will affect the Eastern Europe - a report from Ukraine, European Media Platform.  
  3. Big Brother Awards - for GDPR non-compliance - a report from Germany by Oliver Passek, Digital Courage, through Olivier Crépin-Leblond. Olivier Crepin-Leblond talked about the use of software system for keeping refugees’ records in Germany.  
  4. Mr. Lucien Castex, from the Internet Society France Chapter spoke about the e-Bastille initiative: how to protect your personal data with GDPR.  
  5. e.    Mr. Raoul Plommer and Mr.Teemu Ropponen – from the Open Knowledge Finland and the Internet Society Finland Chapter presented the Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on GDPR 

 D. 2018 EURALO ALAC Member and ALAC NOMCOM REPRESENTATIVE ELECTION RESULTS

 The following EURALO candidates have been selected by acclamation and election in 2018:

 Bastiaan Goslings – ALAC Member representing EURALO (Term: 2018 AGM – 2020 AGM; by acclamation)

 Wolfgang Kleinwächter  – ALAC Delegate to the NomCom representing the European Region (Term: 2018 AGM – 2019 AGM; by-election) Note:  Wolfgang is the Regional Candidate recommended to the ALAC. The ALAC will select the final ALAC Delegates.

As at Poll close: Wednesday 30 May 2018 23:58 UTC
Number of voters: 31 · Group size: 37 · Percentage voted: 83.78
Ranked by votes

Rank

Options ID

Options

Votes

%

1

15943174

Wolfgang Kleinwachter

18

58.06

2

15943173

Anne-Marie Joly

8

25.81

3

15943175

Abstain

5

16.13

 You may review the results independently under:

https://www.bigpulse.com/pollresults?code=803366a84MLcwbXSVjkIF7QrLN

 Action Items

        ·   EURALO to consider a panel or talk to participate in "Re:publica" in 2019 and add this to EURALO's strategic plan.

  • Olivier Crepin-Leblond and Wale Bakare to start populating the EURALO event calendar with regional events.


EURALO April 2018 Report

1. General Data Protection Regulation and ICANN

Challenges of GDPR

EURALO chair, Olivier Crepin-Leblond (OCL) reminded members about the importance of the General Data Protection Regulation, GDPR as it relates to ICANN/WHOIS.

 The ICANN web page about Data Protection/Privacy issue is on https://www.icann.org/dataprotectionprivacy

The EURALO has conducted several webinars to address different angles of GDPR, as well as At-Large.
- The At-Large Capacity Building webinar held on 2018-01-24. Topic: "Data Protection -  What do you need to know as End-Users about GDPR”. The webinar record on 
https://community.icann.org/x/wgW8B
The webinar included presentations from Chuck Gomes and Thomas Rickert, they explained GDPR and how it relates to end users. 
- The EURALO webinar on General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) held on 2018-02-19. Link to the recorded webinar on https://community.icann.org/x/nhS8B
The webinar had Thomas Rickert, Pierre Bonis, Michele Neylon and Athina Fragkouli explained to us how their organization worked towards GDPR *implementation*.

An email message to EURALO members, EURALO chair, OCL, asks members to share experience on how their individual organization is addressing GDPR.  

Also, OCL asked members to share their individual organization’s on how concerns brought forward by GDPR are being addressed. OCL suggested that volunteers to share experience on this will be given approximately 5 minutes for presentation. The call on GDPR is expected to happen next month (May 2018).

Any interested volunteers to, please email to staff@atlarge.icann.org, copy EURALO chair, OCL as well as Yrjö Länsipuro (YL) and Annette Muehlberg (AM)

2EURALO April Call, 17 April 2018

Sébastien Bachollet (SB) commented that we should include latest topical ICANN issues such as GDPR updates, the ongoing discussion at GNSO.  Basically, SB is concerned about ICANN/WHOIS compliance.  

SB talked briefly about the CCWG WS2 final report. He mentioned about the discrepancies in WS2 and WS1, then Charter report will be done before WS2 goes to the board.

Roberto Gaetano (RG) commented on the threshold of the By-Laws. He said the voting of GNSO was done as a participant.

OCL clarified that the GNSO is sub-divided into different sub-groups.

GDPR Discussion

SB commented that ICANN has requested a year timeline to put the proposed model in conformance to the GDPR law. SB said he does not know how ICANN would tackle the specificities highlighted in the response letter by WP29.

Christopher Wilkinson (CW) said he has not read the letter (WP29 response) thoroughly but would need more time to digest the letter. But voiced that the letter has a political undertone.

Silvia Vivanco commented that there is a webinar on GDPR on 18 April 2018.

 OCL said he was in contact with NCUC and has attended the meetings on capacity building at ICANN meetings.

 Webinar on Cybersecurity

SB commented that he is much more concerned about the end users’ protection, privacy online and others rather than social network or infrastructure. And that the EURALO should not wait for the governments before we talk about end users’ concerns.

CROP Slots to Outreach Activities

OCL mentioned the CROP slots and the number of slots available for this year. He mentioned of ISOC Bulgaria, and that two EURALO members, OCL and SB would be attending ISOC European Chapters meeting where they would take At-Large brochures.

ALAC and EURALO 2018 Election

Silvia Vivanco said that the announcement for the call for nomination is between 23 April and 3rd May. The positions open for EURALO ALAC member and ALAC delegate to the NomCom.

SB asked when the nominated candidates will be announced. Heidi Ullrich responded that results will be announced shortly after the nomination period.

Community Onboarding Program

OCL raised a question –  how do we select a participant to attend the ICANN62 meeting in Panama City? OCL stated further that - whether we should just pick a candidate that has been active in EURALO or make a call.  

SB suggested we should discuss the selection of candidate to Community Onboarding program at EURALO Board call on 18 April. 

3. EURALO Board Conference call 18 April 2018

Third EURALO GDPR Webinar

Jean-Jacques Subrenat (JJS) suggested that we should have between 10 or 15 participants, who have the knowledge and legal understanding of the topic. JJS furthered that more ALSes should take part in GDPR discussions.

OCL – made a reference to the ISOC’s perspective on the GDPR by involving all Chapters and members. OCL said he would send an email to ALSes to take part in the topic.

YL commented that an online course should also be an option.

Webinar on The Impact of Human Rights

OCL to send an email to Annette on the impact of human rights Cross Community Working Party on the webinar.

Proposal 3: SSR2 Review

JJS suggested that EURALO Chair or someone from members to send a letter to SSR2 Review Team and emphasize the protection of data.

OCL said no one knows how the WHOIS will go about it and asked members whether he should send a letter to SSR2 Team now or after the GDPR has taken place?

Proposal 4: EURALO Facebook Group

Wale Bakare stated that EURALO Facebook Group has been set-up and to date around 12 members have joined the EURALO-ICANN At-Large group.   

YL commented that there is a need for members to put more information to grow the group for outreach activities.

Selection of Community Onboarding Program (COP) Candidate for EURALO (In-Camera)

Discussions about the candidates who have applied for the COP program in Panama yielded the proposal of Matthias Hudobnik (MH) to the ALAC selection committee.  

EURALO CROP Requests for FY17: EuroDIG - Call for Volunteers for CROP Travel (In-Camera)

Following a discussion of the members of the EURALO Board, the following individuals, having applied for funding, have been selected to receive CROP Travel Funding:

  1. Clément Genty
  2.  Andrei Kolesnikov
  3.  Oksana Prykhodko.  

The Chair has transmitted these names to the CROP application which was filed accordingly.

Action Items

  • Olivier Crepin-Leblond to take the lead on the coordination of the third GDPR Webinar, targeting the last week of April or first 2 weeks of May. The objective will be to make it a “reporting” session with ALS sharing their experiences on the implementation of GDPR. Olivier Crepin-Leblond to send another email to all EURALO ALSes asking them to share their experiences on GDPR.
  • Olivier Crepin-Leblond to liaise with Annette Mühlberg to set-up a Webinar on the topic Framework of Interpretation and Develop a checklist for human rights impact assessment. 
  •  On Proposal 3: Discussions are still ongoing about RDS (Registration Directory Services) and SSR2-RT (Security & Stability Review Team #2); there is still a focus on the security aspect: privacy vs. security. Olivier-  to contact SSAC, first to identify what is the best time to start a discussion and as suggested by Jean Jacques highlighting the point that the privacy aspect must be considered alongside security and stability aspects. That is a central concern of our user community.
  • Silvia Vivanco to open a wiki page on Proposal 3 in coordination with Olivier. 
  • Wale Bakare to continue updating and promoting the EURALO Facebook. Olivier Crepin-Leblond to send an email to all EURALO ALs encouraging them to get engaged in the EURALO FB page. 
  • Olivier Crepin-Leblond to notify Alan Greenberg that Matthias Markus Hudobnik is the selected EURALO COP candidate.
  • Olivier Crepin-Leblond to notify Andrei Kolesnikov, Clement  Genty and Oksana  Prykhodko on their selection for the CROP slots for EURODIG.

 

EURALO March 2018 Report

ALAC: Subcommittee on Outreach & Engagement Meeting –  13 March 2018

Each RALO presented local and global activities participated and new ALSes in their respective region.

NACRALO – mentioned of Cuba with no presence of At-Large in the country.

 OCL gave a brief activities EURALO has participated and members to attend this year local outreach and engagement within Europe.

Alagie Ceesay (AC) introduced herself as, a representative of an ISOC Gambia ALS and contact person of ISOC Gambia. She shared with RALOs update of the new ALS. The ALS is planning an outreach event/workshop on the following ICANN and Atlarge topic: 1. The Internet Governance Ecosystem 2. ICANN Ecosystem   3. Atlarge   4. What it means to be an ALS and how to get actively involved... this is the first Outreach to help ISOC Members and other stakeholders attending, understanding the basics of ICANN, Atlarge etc. She urged members at the meeting to make recommendations or suggestions on the stated outline of ISOC Gambia. She is the facilitator of the workshop with Beran Gillen and date is 25th March 2018.

EURALO March call, 27/03/2018

Summary of meeting discussions

Stephane Van Gelder: Unfortunately, Stephane van Gelder died on 26/03/2018 after a tragic motorcycle accident.  

At the European At-Large Organisation (EURALO) monthly call held on 27 March 2018. A minute of silence in memory of Stéphane van Gelder, participants on the call fully supported the proposal of a motion to be made by an ALAC member.

The Registries Stakeholder Group nominated Stephane Van Gelder for the 2018 Multistakeholder Ethos Award and supported by EURALO members present at the call.

Since Stéphane was an individual member of EURALO, OCL asked those present on the call, to issue a 24H consensus call on the following motion, by Roberto Gaetano. 

The Multistakeholder Ethos Award will be announced in June 2018 at ICANN62 Panama City. The Ethos Award nomination period was extended to 28 March 2018 ( https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2018-03-20-en )

The 2nd workshop on GDPR – Yrjö Länsipuro (YL) suggested we do the online course for ALSes. Bastiaan Goslings (BG) said he would be happy to say something regarding what his ISP is doing about GDPR.

CROP Updates

RIPE76 meeting: There are 4 EURALO members -  Sébastien Bachollet (SB), Andrei Kolesnikov (AK), OCL and BG to attend the RIPE76 meeting in France between 14 and 16 May 2018.  

SB will be sponsored to participate in RIPE76 by AFNIC, BG will be attending RIPE76 on behalf of his employer, and OCL as ICANN-CROP funded EURALO representative to RIPE76. It is likely AK would send his application for the RIPE fellowship award to enable him attend RIPE76 meeting https://ripe76.ripe.net/attend/ripe-fellowship/

The re:publica meeting: Matthias Markus Hudobnik (MMH) is the selected member to represent EURALO, as a CROP funded candidate to attend the re:publica in Berlin. MMH CROP application has been approved.

Action Items

Olivier Crepin-Leblond to follow up with Annette, once she is back in her office, to organize a Webinar on the topic Framework of Interpretation and to develop a checklist for human rights impact assessment.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond  and Yrjo Lansipuro will coordinate the second EURALO webinar with the target date of the end of April on the topic of GDPR its impact on Whois and the impact of GDPR to end-users. 

Olivier Crepin-Leblond  will invite EURALO ALSes to share their experiences on what they are doing on GDPR. Yrjo Lansipuro will contact Raoul Plommer and Teemu Ropponen asking them to participate as speakers.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond to request volunteers to participate in the EURODIG 2018 meeting, considering the 6 weeks requirements to file CROP funding requests.

EURALO February 2018 Report

EURALO Taskforce on ALS Engagement Call 6 February 2018 at 17:00 UTC

The EURALO ALS expertise table to be updated. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QjrOsGLQCCuMYJhVaLIVtYw-ifDSeNX2BXGUtyayZNA/edit?ts=58a1d594#-gid=809962045. At-Large staff to send a reminder to all ALSes to update the expertise table (google document) and to the EURALO individual Association to include individual names to the table.

EURALO Chair, Olivier Crépin-Leblond (OCL) suggested the inclusion of the ISOC Norway Chapter that has just joined EURALO to the ALS expertise table.

The EURALO Taskforce on ALS coordinator, Yrjö Länsipuro (YL) to send an email to ISOC Norway explaining the objectives of updating the expertise table.

The EURALO Facebook group; named EURALO-ICANN At-Large Facebook group has been created. EURALO Secretary, Wale Bakare (WB) granted (by EURALO Chair) admin privilege rights to allow him to post on, update the EURALO-ICANN At-Large Facebook group.

YL, EURALO Taskforce on ALS Coordinator sent an email to WB with an appropriate message posted on EURALO Facebook group informing the ALSes to become more active in Social media channels.

The At-large Twitter account - @ICANNAtlarge.  Hiedi suggests we need to identify who’s managing the At-Large Twitter account.

 EURALO GDPR Webinar, 19 February 2018

The EURALO GDPR webinar offers the opportunity to increase the understanding of practical implementation of GDPR both from a Registrar, a Registry and a Registrant perspective.

The Webinar’s panelists are:

  • Thomas Rickert (ECO Internet Industry Association) -  GDPR from a Registrant or Organisation point of view.
  • Pierre Bonis (AFNIC .FR Registry) - GDPR from a European Country Code Top Level Domain operator's point of view.
  • Michele Neylon (Blacknight Solutions Hosting, Colocation & Domains) -  GDPR from a European Registrar and business point of view.
  • Athina Fragkouli (RIPE NCC) - GDPR from the Regional Internet Registry of IP addresses point of view.

 Moderator: Olivier Crépin-Leblond

The full presentation - EURALO Webinar on General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

 EURALO February Call 20, 2018

EURALO CROP

Heidi Ullrich (HU) commented that “under the CROP Procedures & Guidelines, a proposal must be approved by the CROP RT and the applicable regional GSE VP a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the proposed travel date. Therefore, to allow sufficient time for CROP RT and regional GSE VP to review, and for RALOs to update proposals based on comments received, proposals should be submitted to the CROP RT list 8 weeks prior to the proposed travel date”.

Re:publica 2-4 May 2018: Annette Mühlberg (AM), Oliver Passek(OP) and Wolf Ludwig (WL) to coordinate and work with EURALO CROP funded candidate. EURALO members agreed that Matthias Markus Hudobnik will represent EURALO at Re:publica.  

OCL to follow up on the EURALO mailing list on the suggestion from Oksana for EURALO support the petition against the reduction of the ICANN fellowship as well as to write an EURALO statement against the CROP elimination.

Security, Stability & Resilience of the DNS Review Team (SSR2) 

OCL has emailed Lutz Donnerhacke asking him whether he would be interested in participating in the SSR2, as an EURALO representative to the Review Team2.


January 2018 Report 

Certification of Norway Chapter of the Internet Society as an EURALO At-Large Structure (ALS)

The At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) voted by accepting the Norway Chapter of the Internet Society application as an At-Large Structure of EURALO.

The ICANN's At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) is pleased to inform you that Norway Chapter of the Internet Society has been certified as an At-Large Structure (ALS).  The ALAC greatly appreciates your group's interest in involving individual users in EURALO and ICANN and looks forward to working with you and your colleagues. 

EURALO Board Call, 18/01/2018 at 19:00 UTC

The EURALO Board call was held on 18 January 2018 had some of the newly elected Board members in attendance. Some matters were discussed and agreed on include, the suggested proposals during the brainstorming session at the joint ICANN/ISOC dinner at the IGF, Geneva 2017. 

The proposals are:

Proposal 1: Set up a Webinar on GDPR with Euro-specific approach

Proposal 2: GDPR Continuation - Set up a Webinar on the Framework of Interpretation

Proposal 3: The Registration Directory Services (RDS) and Security & Stability Review Team #2 (SSR2-RT)

Proposal 4:  Improvement of EURALO Communication channels for, regional project development and ICANN processes.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat (JJS) moved a motion by supporting the proposals and others were in support of that. That is, all the 4 proposals are accepted by the Board members.

JJS volunteers to coordinate the proposal 4; improvement of the EURALO communication channels. Yrjö Länsipuro (YL) remarked that it would be more efficient to include Proposal 4 in the already existing framework of ALS Engagement, and JJS concurred. 

Proposal 1: Set up a Webinar on GDPR with the Euro-specific approach.  The proposed panelists/speakers are Thomas Rickert – Rickert.net, Michele Neylon – Blacknight Internet Solutions, Chris Buckridge- RIPE and Pierre Bonis - AFNIC.

EURALO chair, Olivier Crépin-Leblond (OCL) to take the lead on the coordination of the Webinar.  EURALO Board member agreed that Webinar should take place in the week of 5 Feb 2018 and a second Webinar in early April 2018. Yrjo volunteers to coordinate the second GDPR webinar.

Proposal 2:  Set-up a Webinar on the Framework of Interpretation of GDPR, develop a checklist for human rights impact assessment. Tentatively, Annette to lead on the Human rights impact assessment. The proposed date for the Webinar is 9 April 2018.

Proposal 3: Registration Directory Services and Security & Stability Review Team2. Discussions would focus on the security aspect: privacy vs. security. Practical issues linked to security to be accessed with the help of SSAC team, where possible.

EURALO Board members reached a consensus that a Wiki page be open to initiate the discussions. 

Proposal 4:  Improvement of EURALO communication channels. Including publish results of EURALO project successes and publishing them on social websites:

o   Link Twitter feed to Facebook page

o   Link blog feed to Facebook page

o   Tell members to post to the Facebook channel https://www.facebook.com/EURALO/

o   Need to find a Curator for Facebook Page.

EURALO Secretary, Wale Bakare volunteers to update EURALO Facebook page.

EURALO Community Regional Outreach Program (CROP) Requests

The CROP requests need to be filed 6 to 8 weeks ahead of an event. Forecasting of CROP requests is therefore very important. The EURALO Board agreed to propose the following use of CROP slots for this Financial Year, ending 30th June 2018:

- Re:publica  takes place in Berlin, Germany,  from 2 - 4 May, 2018. There is a 1 CROP slot. This will be in coordination with German ALS in Berlin

-  RIPE 76 will take place at Palais du Pharo in Marseille, France from 14-18 May 2018.

One CROP slot might be used there if an offer cannot be struck with RIPE based on the EURALO-RIPE MoU.

- EuroDig 2018 to take place in Tbilisi, Georgia, from 5 – 6 June 2018. There are 2 CROP slots for EuroDIG

EURALO Outreach Calendar

- The calendar needs to be populated

-  The question on how to populate the calendar will be placed to the EURALO ALS Engagement Taskforce in coordination with communications team.

Collaboration with RIPE and Next Steps

EURALO Chair, OCL to get in touch with Chris Buckridge of RIPE to inquire about the upcoming meeting in Marseille, France.

OCL to explore collaboration with CENTR with the goal to sign an MOU in Barcelona, Spain during ICANN63 meeting.

EURALO Monthly Call

The call started with a review of ICANN Policy Consultations currently in place.

Of particular importance was the Data Protection and Privacy Update - Community Feedback on Proposed Compliance Models , which described ICANN’s options for all round compliance with the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) adopted by the European Commission and due to be enforced in May 2018. EURALO members were asked to contribute actively to this very short turnaround consultation from the ICANN CEO.

Agenda Items for this call included a review of the Global IGF Geneva Activities – these are listed in further detail on https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Outreach+activities+at+IGF+2017+Geneva

The group also discussed the EURALO Board call described above.

FY19 Additional Budget Requests (ABR) from EURALO were discussed and agreed:

It was decided that this year, due to a lack of success in previous years, no ABR request would be made for attendance at ICANN Studienkreis. A CROP request would likely be used for that activity.

It was also mentioned that due to ICANN Global Budget consolidation, it was likely that the total ABR envelope would be reduced, year on year, thus it was a challenging year for ABRs.

All ALAC and RALO Additional Budget Requests can be found on: https://community.icann.org/x/mwhyB


 

San Juan ICANN61: RALO Leadership meeting – Sunday 11, March 2018

Individual users

The RALO leadership meeting was focused on the individual users, progress as well as the process of certification.

Humberto Carrasco (HC) suggested a working group for individual users, the discussion about voting power.  Alan Greenberg (AG) mentioned the difference between EURALO and other RALOs regarding the progress of individual users.

Eduardo Diaz (ED) talked about the process of decertification of individual members. He (ED) sighted the APRALO, as an example, where few members not necessary to have participation, awareness is sufficient for them.

Roberto Gaetano (RG) who stood in for EURALO Secretary, Wale Bakare (not present in person) explained how the EURALO Individual Users’ Association works. He also talked about the participation of individual users in At-Large activities. And he (RG) proposed that the meeting in Panama of individuals.

HC agrees with Roberto on the standardized method of certifying the individual’s participation or not? HC also supported the suggestion of having a meeting in Panama.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond (OCL) commented that ALSes supports is helpful. Then he (OCL) supported having a meeting in Panama, but suggested a preparation for the meeting, inform of “good practices” documents.

AG suggested that having an association for individual members without being an ALS.

Satish Babu (SB) commented that the implementation of the ALAC review is important for the discussion of individual membership - different categories of members - need basic guidelines, not uniformity.

Glenn McKnight (GM) mentioned of the active members in the NARALO, then said there are more applications for individuals than for ALSes.

ED calls for the meeting conclusion and directed At-Large staff to prepare the session in Panama, for continue discussions.


Hot topics

 ED mentioned as an example, the Net Neutrality, asked whether it is important for ICANN per its core operation. He further stressed that what is important is how the Net Neutrality affects users.

HC said will ask LACRALO what themes are more important for the people and which have more impacts, and in every monthly teleconference, these themes are discussed.

Tijani Benjemaa (TB) commented that the hot topic for Africa is electricity, not Net Neutrality - not within ICANN’s mandate. The topics to be discussed must be relevant for ICANN and better if related to the policy being in the making.

 Alfredo Calderon (AC) suggested a working group on education - is it important, does it affect the user, does it impact ICANN -  when organizing webinars need also an “entry level” for beginners. He said that APRALO informing individual users should be two-way communication – tell them about ICANN and listen to people.

 OCL commented that there is need to know what is interesting for the users (ALSes) because that tells us when a hot topic comes up which users (ALSes) are best to work on it. As an example, he (OCL) mentioned the EURALO hot-topic table for this purpose.

Hadia Abdelsalam Mokhtar (HAM) commented that -  good to know what topics are interesting for ALSes, but topics for discussion must be related to ICANN.

 GM said that NARALO followed the same approach that Olivier described

AG suggested that - we need a way to address unusual topics for which no “expert” has been identified.

 SB commented that sometimes activities that ALSes are involved in become relevant for ICANN

OCL suggested that it does not hurt to have in the list topics that are outside of ICANN’s remit but that of course only topics that are relevant to ICANN would be of use to the RALO. Furthermore, if on a specific topic there is no expertise in the RALO, then the RALO would remain silent. This is the reason why EURALO does not comment on all topics.

HC advised that we must be flexible with hot topics, sighted example, the ongoing discussion of ICANN budget and operating plan.

ED said that discussions around the individual internet users show the different perspectives from different parts of the world. ED concluded that Panama meeting with individuals not expecting outcome but having the discussion.




 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



  • No labels