ATLAS II Thematic Group Allocation

Thematic Group Leadership Teams

IMPORTANT: Please click on the individual thematic group titles to see their leadership teams as well as abstracts and questions to be addressed.

Responsibilities of the Thematic Group Leadership Teams:

Subject Matter Experts will provide background information about the topics discussed in your group. They will answer any question you have about the topics and give you some of the history and facts. They are here to help you.

Moderators will facilitate the discussion among the participants in the group and to stimulate good debate and discussion. The Moderators will also be making sure the group progresses in its discussions and conclusions.

See: ATLAS-II_moderation-criteria.pdf

Reporters/Rapporteurs will listen to all of the discussions and their responsibility will be to work with the group in drafting a final Statement that the group will be designing.

See: ATLAS-II_reporting-criteria.pdf

Notes from Christopher Wilkinson concerning all Thematic Groups.

Coordination calls:

Friday, 06 June 2014

Friday, 30 May 2014

• No labels

16 Comments

1. I am adding for the record an email distributed by ICANN AT-Large staff that explains changes to the previously selected ATLAS II Thematic Groups.

---0---

Dear All,

Please find a message sent on behalf of Wolf Ludwig and Evan Leibovitch, co-leaders of the thematic content development at both ATLAS I and ATLAS II:

Dear All,

At-Large participants at the Singapore meeting met today to discuss At-Large Summit II (ATLAS II) preparatory questions such as logistical issues and thematic priorities and questions for the forthcoming summit in London.

Among the items discussed, the group reviewed the inputs of the ATLAS II Event Working Group in detail by comparing it with the ATLAS II Survey results. After a very dynamic on-spot discussion, the topics of the break-out priorities were amended taking into account the overarching ATLAS II theme and recent key announcements within the Internet eco-system.

The modified list of topics are noted below. They will be discussed in further details tomorrow.

1. The future of multistakeholderism - Adam Peake to Lead

2. The globalization of ICANN

3. Global Internet: The User Perspective

4. ICANN Transparency and Accountability

5. At-Large Community Engagement in ICANN

Thanks and regards,

Wolf and Evan

2. I would be happy to moderate and/or report for the Globalization Work Group

3. While I appreciate the selections I was somewhat surprised at the finality of the announcement: I'd have thought some additional discussion would be part of the process. But as I said, I like the topics. 

4. I agree with Tom  that the topics are very similar  and perhaps  other  additional topics could have been added

G

5. I would be happy to moderate and/ or report on the session on ICANN transparency and accountability

6. I agree that the topics seem similar, but my suggestion as to what might be covered is as follows (which will flesh out what others think and maybe help us all)

The future of multistakeholderism seems to be a really broad topic, very much an IGF/Internet governance issue

I think the globalisation of ICANN and the transparency and accountabiity (numbers 2 and 4) are closely linked to the whole IANA issue - i.e., what should a post NTIA ICANN look like including structures, accountabiity

The user perspective (number 3) is potentially much broader

ALAC engagement in ICANN (number 5) is really part of the ICANN globalisation/accountability piece, but with the important  emhasis on ALAC - what role has ALAC played in the current structure, and what might ALAC (and other advisory committees) participation look in a globalised and accountable ICANN

7. I have placed my name along with Olivier to assist as an SME on community engagement. This is a subject I have been pursuing since joining NARALO at ICANN 45 in Toronto and would be happy to move this forward in London at ATLAS II.

8. Your interest for this is noted, Murray. Thanks!

9. I would be happy to moderate the session on The User Perspective (sharing with Glenn McKnight) or At-Large Community Engagement in ICANN.

10. I would also be prepared to provide subject matter input to content for the sessions on The User Perspective and At-Large Community Engagement in ICANN.

11. I offer to be  reporter for the "future of multistakeholderism" session

12. Dear All, 

I offer to be a moderator for the "At-Large Community Engagement in ICANN" 

Dev Anand Teelucksingh

13. ICANN50 ATLAS II Themes

5.0 At-Large Community Engagement in ICANN

Sub Topics:

5.1 Identification of At-Large Community

For discussion:  Is the At-Large Community made up of representatives from Civil Society? Private
    Sector? Or the Technical Community?, or all of these groups. If so, how do we engage with such a large community of stakeholders and break down the silos represented by those groups.

5.2 Is Capacity Building really about building knowledge?

For Discussion: If so, how is that accomplished and how sustainable is it?

5.2 Continued Volunteer Engagement.

For Discussion: How can we save volunteers from burn out? Volunteers have lives outside if ICANN and often the most work is accomplished by a dedicated few with a multitude of observers.  How do we best engage the observers?

5.3 Volunteer Funding.

For Discussion: What is the process to have funds available for necessary projects demmed important by the At-Large group?

5.4 Is At-Large mandated with defending the Public Interest?

For Discussion: Define the “Public Interest” and those involved in its defence.

Respectfully submitted: 06/05/2014

Olivier MJ Crepin –Leblond

Murray McKercher

14. Updated notes: I have re-worked my earlier post based upon input from Olivier and Stéphane Van Gelder. Anyone wishing to comment please do. I will work on distilling this to a shorter abstract for Wolf Ludwig.

ICANN50 ATLAS II Themes

5.0 At-Large Community Engagement in ICANN

5.1 Who We Are?

The At-Large Community is made up of representatives from Civil Society, the Private
    Sector and the Technical Community.  Each individual brings a voice, ideas, concerns, passion and context to the discussion. How do we engage with such a large community of stakeholders and break down the silos represented by those groups, thereby representing the multi-stakeholder community of the global users of the internet.

5.2 What we Do?

5.2.1 Policy Development

How can At-Large increase effectiveness in the Policy Development
    Process?

Policy Development is at the heart of what ICANN does. Policy development happens at many levels in the organisation. The system used to develop policies is in many ways unique. It is designed to promote bottom-up development and decision-making and is a perfect fit into the general theory of ICANN as an innovative governance model that allows participation from everyone that has either a stake or an interest in the subject matter. This policy development model is precious because it gives everyone a voice, but no-one a louder voice than anyone else. It brings together the technical, user, legal, commercial, governmental, civil and non-profit perspectives so that the resulting policy can truly be suited to all types of uses and users. This workshop will help you understand how one of ICANN's key policy development mechanisms, the GNSO or Generic Names Service Organisation - the one used to develop policy for generic Top Level Domains - works.

It will also highlight how the whole ICANN community is able to participate in this particular policy development process.

Stéphane Van Gelder

5.3 Defending the Public Interest

ICANN AT-Large's role and processes.

5.4 Capacity Building >> (Building Knowledge)

How to we teach and build knowledge, how do we sustain this and what mechanisms exist to carry out this function of At-Large.

5.5 Volunteering Time, Energy, Creative Thought and making a difference.

For Discussion: What is the process to have funds available for necessary projects deemed important by the At-Large group and the ICANN Board?

15. Abstract Draft

At-Large Community Engagement in ICANN

The At-Large Community is made up of representatives from Civil Society, the Private
    Sector and the Technical Community? Each individual brings a voice, ideas, concerns, passion and context to the discussion.

How do we engage with such a large community of stakeholders and break down the silos represented by those groups, thereby representing the multi-stakeholder community of the global users of the internet.

This session will focus on Who we Are, What we do, How we do it and a realistic view of what volunteering with AT-Large is all about.

================================================================

La Comunidad At-Large está formado por representantes de la sociedad civil, el sector privado
    Sector y la Comunidad Técnica? Cada individuo trae una voz, ideas, preocupaciones, la pasión y el contexto de la discusión.
      ¿Cómo nos relacionamos con una amplia comunidad de partes interesadas, y romper los silos representadas por esos grupos, lo cual representa una comunidad de múltiples partes interesadas de los usuarios globales de la Internet.
    Esta sesión se centrará en lo que somos, qué hacemos, cómo lo hacemos y una visión realista de lo que el voluntariado con AT-Large se trata.

======================================================================

La communauté At-Large est composé de représentants de la société civile, le secteur privé
    Secteur et la communauté technique? Chaque individu apporte une voix, des idées, des préoccupations, la passion et le contexte de la discussion.
      Comment pouvons-nous mobiliser avec une telle communauté de parties prenantes et de briser les silos représentés par ces groupes, représentant ainsi la communauté multi-parties prenantes des utilisateurs mondiaux de l'Internet.
    Cette session se concentrera sur qui nous sommes, ce que nous faisons, comment nous le faisons et une vue réaliste de ce que le bénévolat avec AT-Large est tout au sujet.

===========================================================================

يتم إجراء مجتمع At-Large من ممثلين من المجتمع المدني، وخاصة
    القطاع والجماعة الفنية؟ كل فرد يجلب صوت والأفكار والمخاوف، والعاطفة والسياق إلى المناقشة.
      كيف يمكننا التعامل مع مثل هذا المجتمع الكبير من أصحاب المصلحة وكسر الصوامع يمثلها تلك الجماعات، وبالتالي تمثل المجتمع أصحاب المصلحة المتعددين من المستخدمين العالمية للإنترنت.
    وستركز هذه الدورة على ما نحن عليه، ماذا نفعل، كيف لنا أن نفعل ذلك، ونظرة واقعية لما التطوعي مع AT-كبير هو كل

================================================

一般会员社区是由来自民间社会,私营代表
    部门和技术社区?每个人带来了声音,想法,顾虑,激情和上下文的讨论。
     我们如何从事与利益相关者的一个大型社区,并打破由这些团体代表的孤岛,从而代表了互联网的全球用户的多方利益相关者的社区。
    本次会议将专注于我们是谁,我们做什么,我们如何做,什么志愿服务与AT-大是所有关于现实的观点。

16. I am willing to be involved with the "The Future of multistakeholderism".  Let me know how I can be off assistance.