Issue 4 Work Track Leader(s): Maureen Hilyard & Ricardo Holmquist
Issue 4 Work Track Members: Heidi Ullrich, Evin Erdogdu
Issue 4 - ALAC and the At-Large Leadership Team
Final Proposal as approved by the Board
The ALAC Chair will work with members of the ALAC and staff to better communicate the role and activities of the ALAC Leadership Team (ALT) ensuring that it is clear what the ALT does and does not do.
1:1:1 (Low resource needs : Low risk : 1st priority)
Initial comments from At-Large suggested the inclusion of the new At-Large Organigram (an addendum to this report) being used as the basis for a governance model. Another suggestion was to demonstrate how we share the load to reduce the workload and volunteer burnout of some very active At-Large members.
The ALAC Chair worked with members of the ALAC and At-Large Staff to ensure both a better understanding of and better communication of the role and activities of the ALT ensuring that it is clear what the ALT does and does not do, including the utilization of the new Organigram agreed to by the ALAC and At-Large Leadership during ICANN63. On each At-Large wiki web-page is a GATEWAY which gives wiki users quick access to key At-Large activities. The At-Large Governance page is developing a list of key resources relevant to regional as well as ALAC leadership. This Issue is substantially completed but still subject to web-page update audit.
ALAC Organizational Chart 2018 - See At-Large Governance Home
Status of improvement effort / staff lead
The ALAC Chair’s Organigram was accepted by the ALAC in Barcelona. Staff will assist with implementation of steps for the At-Large Governance Webpage.
Activities, if any, on which implementation is dependent, or that are dependent on implementation of this recommendation
The ALAC Chair has developed an Organigram outlining the governance structure of the ALAC, At-Large Leadership, and three key work streams within which At-Large will undertake its core activities - Policy, Outreach and Engagement and Organisational Tasks.
The model proposes more transparency and accountability as well as being more inclusive by adding regional representation within the At-Large Leadership structure.
Accompanying dialogue will make responsibilities clear.
Who will implement the recommendation?
ALAC Chair in conjunction with the At-Large Leadership Team (ALT), plus Liaisons and former ALAC Chairs, Leads of the three Core Activities and ICANN Staff
Anticipated resource requirements (FTEs, tools)
Minimal allocation of staff time to establish a webpage and install the information detailed in the steps.
Expected budget implications
None beyond existing resources.
Proposed implementation steps:
1. Create an At-Large Governance Webpage on the At-Large Website that includes the At-Large Organigram with links to other sections of At-Large, for example ALAC webpage, RALO webpages, Policy Comment pages, Active Working Groups related to Policy, O&E and ALAC Org.
2. Include short descriptions of the roles and responsibilities of the ALAC, At-Large Leadership Team (ALT+), Regional Chairs, Liaisons, Former ALAC Chairs, and the Chairs of the workstreams - Policy, O&E and ALAC Org
3. Outline communication links between the various structures.
The page changes should be implementable by February 2019.
How long will it take to implement this plan?
2-3 months* - given that some existing staff time can be allocated to work on this, even if part time.
*Variation here may be required to fit with IT Program of changes to Web site schedule.
Issue 4 Progress Chart
NOTE: the example Dashboard Report from WS2 of ICANN Accountability CCWG is an exemplar of the TYPE of dashboard/reporting that we recommend be utilised for reporting ARIWG progress to the ICANN Community as well as for inclusion in aggregated terms to the regular reporting /update to the OEC biannually.
The At-Large Review Implementation dashboard aims to update the ICANN Community about the progress of the work of the At-Large Review Implementation Working Group (ARIWG).
|Work is now completed.|
|Jan 2020 ARIWG Dashboard|
Link to presentation (PDF) of recent activity updates
|Dec 2019 ARIWG Dashboard|
|Nov 2019 ARIWG Dashboard|
|Oct 2019 ARIWG Dashboard|
|Sep 2019 ARIWG Dashboard|
|Aug 2019 ARIWG Dashboard|
|Jul 2019 ARIWG Dashboard|
|Jun 2019 ARIWG Dashboard|
Report due to the Board - 23 June
|May 2019 ARIWG Dashboard|
Report drafts should be ready by May 23 with sub-tasks completed
Still to be completed
(2) Roles and responsibilities of members of the ALT+ (to be attached to the Governance Page)
(3) Complete the communication links on the Governance page
|Apr 2019 ARIWG Dashboard|
Reorganisation of the Working Groups Home Page - next steps - new calls for membership of some of the older groups.
|Mar 2019 ARIWG Dashboard|
(1) Developed webpages to provide information and guidelines for implementation of the ATLAS III Application Form and Scoring matrix ; staff training provided in how to monitor recording of application data on the scoring matrix; (3) Email lists updated and attached to Governance page; clarified (3) AT-Large Blog established as an alternative or additional to the regional newsletters; social media WG also encouraging regional tweets to promote regional events and activities.
|Feb 2019 ARIWG Dashboard|
(1) Worked with the ATLASIII Leadership Development Team to develop the criteria for selection of the ATLAS travellers - leaders of the subgroups selected to fine-tune the criteria for entry onto the application form. The scoring matrix developed by an individual member. Capacity Building subgroup of the Programming Working Group developing webinars (including FR and ES interpretation) and ICANN Learn programmes (EN only) as preparatory learning for potential ATLAS travellers. These were in preparation for new wiki pages being developed for ATLAS III.
|Jan 2019 ARIWG Dashboard|
The Organigram was developed to demonstrate the leadership structure of At-Large and to visually explain how the various sub-structures related to the ALAC and its Leadership Team. The expansion of the ALT to include the RALO Chairs was to expand the discussion potential to include input from the grassroots membership (a bottom-up approach). The Organigram informed its community about how the ALAC and At-Large,interacted with each other in order to carry out its core activities. The At-Large GATEWAY was created to gather the various previously difficult-to-locate workspaces important to the work of At-Large, into one coordinated directory. The GATEWAY now provides direct access to key activity areas for At-Large leaders and participants. The GATEWAY is situated at the top left of all At-Large workspaces. Specific information pages initially established in the GATEWAY were : At-Large Governance; At-Large Reports; Policy Advice and Comments; At-Large Summit (ATLAS III); and At-Large Review Implementation Plan Development.. These pages were populated with details relating to activity objectives, leadership roles, reporting responsibilities, etc. (3) Various Skype chats were organised to enhance communication between ALAC Chair and Staff as well as various subgroups of the At-Large Community (O&E, ATLAS, ARIWG, Governance) and an open chat group for the At-Large community.