You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 52 Next »

This call for nominations will be issued on 5 April 2017 for the various elected/selected positions within NARALO. This call is being made in accordance with the NARALO Operating Principles (https://community.icann.org/x/Z44i).

All nominees are expected to submit a brief statement explaining why they believe they are a suitable candidate and also must complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).

There are four positions up for elections/selection this year:

These include Chair, Secretariat, ALAC Member and Nominating Committee (NomCom) delegate are detailed below.  If you would like to nominate someone or to put yourself forward for selection, please post on the NA-DISCUSS Mailing List (na-discuss@atlarge-lists.icann.org) - previous nominations will not be considered. 

OPEN  POSITIONS

NARALO Chair: Currently held by Glenn McKnight. Current term ends at the end of the 2017 Annual General Meeting (AGM). The new term starts immediately after the end of the current term and continues until the end of the 2018 AGM.  Glenn is not term limited.  The Position is open for an election or rough consensus  

NARALO Secretariat: Currently held by Judith Hellerstein. Current term ends at the end of the 2017 AGM. The new term starts immediately after the end of the current term and continues until the end of the 2018 AGM.  Judith is not term limited   The  position is open for an election or rough consensus

ALAC  Representative (Two Spots)   First Seat: Garth Bruen is an ALAC Member elected by NARALO and is not term limited at the end of the 2017 AGM,  This position is open for an election or consensus for anyone. The new term starts immediately after the end of the current term and continues until the end of the 2019 AGM

Second ALAC Seat: Currently held  by Alan Greenberg for a two year period  Current term lasts until the end of the 2018 AGM. The position is not open for an election or rough consensus.

NARALO  NomCom Delegate: The current NA delegate to the 2017 NomCom is Eduardo Diaz. According to NomCom rules, a delegate may serve up to two consecutive terms. Eduardo is term limited. This position is open for an election or rough consensus for anyone except for Eduardo Diaz.

Meetings

Next call: 17 May 2017 - NARALO Special Purpose Call on NARALO 2017 Elections: "Get to Know the Candidates"

Previous call:

TIMETABLE *

Date                      
Event

5 April 2017

ALAC Nominations Open (from NARALO Operating Principles: At least once a year, on or before the First of July, or whenever a vacancy arises, the NARALO shall issue a call for nominations (including self-nominations) for members of the North American Internet community to serve on the ALAC. The call for nominations shall be open for at least 30 days. New ALAC members will be selected and announced sufficiently in advance of ICANN's annual meeting to allow them to be seated as required by Paragraph 10. Nominations other than self-nominations must be accepted within one week of the close of the nomination period.)

Other positions: The NARALO Operating Principles are less specific but are aligned with the ALAC selection.

12 May 2017

Nominations Close.

15 May 2017

NARALO Call– for positions where all nominees have either accepted or rejected the nomination (if required), the NARALO Chair will attempt to seek consensus on who to select. This can either be a separate call or the Normal NARALO meeting

15 May 2017

Deadline for Nomination Acceptance. Self-nominations need not be accepted.

17 May 2017Meet the Candidate Call

22 May - 26 May 2017

For any position(s) where consensus was not reached during a NARALO meeting, an electronic poll of NARALO ALSes and unaffiliated members will be conducted.

Note: The vote procedure will be conducted based on relevant sections outlined in the NARALO Operating Principle. In an event of a tie for the NARALO ALAC Member (2017 AGM - 2018 AGM) selection, Section 19 of the NARALO Operating Principle will be applied

November 2, 2017

Newly selected ALAC Members and RALO leaders shall be seated at the close of the 2017 AGM on Thursday, November 2, 2017. The newly selected NomCom Delegate will be seated when the 2017 NomCom convenes.

*NOTES ON NOMINATIONS 

1. All nominees are expected to submit a brief statement explaining why they believe they are a suitable candidate and must also complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).
  2. No one who is currently serving on the Nominating Committee may be nominated for the ALAC. See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en#VII-8 

NARALO ALAC MEMBER (Term: 2017 AGM - 2019 AGM) 

Nominee

Nominated and Supported by

Date Nominee Accepted

Nominee's StatementSOIResults
John Laprise

Self Nominated

I am stepping forward as a candidate for the NARALO ALAC representative position. I have been an active participant of ALAC for a number of years now including co-authoring policy positions, attending ICANN meetings, and engaging with At Large and other SO/ACs as a member of WGs and CCWGs. As NARALO’s ALAC representative, my first priority would be to listen and bring your concerns and contributions to ALAC discussions. I left the private sector and academia to found a non-profit focused on serving and empowering Internet users. Serving NARALO is a continuation of my service and I humbly ask for your support.

John Laprise SOI 
Seth Reiss

Self Nominated

I would be honored to represent North American Internet end users to ICANN through the ALAC.  I am independent of commercial as well as non-commercial stakeholder interests and endeavor to make objective and carefully considered contributions to the policy development process.  I would do my best to listen and constructively implement views held by other At Large participants as well as those of the wider end user community.  If selected, I would make time for this important role by downsizing my practice.

Seth Reiss SOI Arpil 2017 

NARALO CHAIR (Term: 2017 AGM - 2018 AGM) 

Nominee

Date Nominee Accepted

Eduardo DiazGlenn McKnight 

After 10 years of participating in the NARALO space and representing the region in ALAC, NomCom, IANA Transition CWWG, and other working groups and working parties (please see my SOI), I am motivated to assume a leadership such as the one I have been nominated for. We should continue to build upon the work of the past Chairs on outreach, planning and strategy building for the region. In addition, I will strive to enhance our policy discussions and contributions to serve the end user’s interest.

Eduardo Díaz SOI  Eduardo Diaz by rough consensus

NARALO SECRETARIAT (Term: 2017 AGM - 2018 AGM) 

Nominee

Date Nominee Accepted

Glenn McKnight

Self Nominated

April 9th, 2017I would like to provide to the new Chair the ways and means that have been established in the past year to build upon the procedures and help roll out the NARALO strategic plans and a focused attention on policy statements impacting NARALOGlenn McKnight SOIGlenn McKnight by rough consensus

NARALO 2017 NOMCOM DELEGATE (Term: 2017 AGM - 2018 AGM) *

Nominee

Date Nominee Accepted

Nominee's StatementSOIRALO ResultALAC Result
Judith Hellerstein

Eduardo Diaz

I am grateful to Eduardo for nominating me as the NARALO candidate for the NomCom position. I am excited to take on this new role and challenge and accept this nomination.  Several times this past year it was remarked that very few woman candidates were interested in running for positions. I believe this is because a different recruiting strategy needs to be employed to enhance the gender diversity within ICANN. This starts by having more woman representatives on the Nominating Committee who can them help create successful recruiting strategies to attract more woman both to submit expressions of interest and also to entice more woman to take a role. I also hope to speak for other forgotten minorities such as indigenous communities and those with disabilities or specific needs.  I have championed these rights when I was NARALO Secretariat and will with your support continue to do so if elected to the NomCom position.  I feel that to be able to make an impact and change in the NomCom and convince others of the importance of Gender and Diversity, the candidate must be knowledgeable about the different constituencies within ICANN. Having been in a leadership role for several years and having successfully completed the leadership Training offered by ICANN, I feel I have the requisite knowledge of the other constituencies to make a real difference and to impact change.

After serving as Secretariat for NARALO for two years and helping refocus NARALO, revise its rules and procedures, and successfully grow my captioning pilot into being adopted by the ICANN IT and Board into the core budget of ICANN, I am looking forward to taking on new challenges and new opportunities. I look forward to continuing to serve you in this capacity and also to help educate others about the importance of attracting diversity both in gender and attention to forgotten communities within ICANN. I hope to have your support in this new role.

Judith Hellerstein SOI  
Leah Symekher

Evan Leibovitch

23.April.2017

It is with great enthusiasm that I accept this nomination for the NARALO NomCom Delegate position.  My passion for an open, sustainable, evolving Internet for all, drives my interest to contribute positively to this position at ICANN.  My recent leadership role as President and Chair of the San Francisco Bay Area Internet Society Chapter, current Advisor and Consultant for the Board and NARALO ALS representative for the Chapter will attest to my stated passion.  My professional experience with technology organizations that provide Software, Security, Network, DNS solutions for global customers has provided me with valuable knowledge of how the internet works, and an appreciation of its power and vulnerability.  My international experience and background with minimal experience at ICANN will I believe bring ‘fresh new eyes’ to this position, the team and ICANN.  I am excited to become a part of this valuable team and look forward to your support.

Leah Symekher SOI  

*NOTES ON NOMINATIONS 

1. All nominees are expected to submit a brief statement explaining why they believe they are a suitable candidate and must also complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).
  2. No one who is currently serving on the Nominating Committee may be nominated for the ALAC. See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en#VII-8

Meet the Candidate Calls

• No labels