This page is to be used by the At-Large Rules of Procedure Process: Meetings Drafting Team.

NameAffiliationWorking Group

Role

• Pen Holder
  • Participant
  • Observer
Tijani Ben JemaaAFRALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Fatimata Seye SyllaAFRALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATIONParticipant
Yaovi AtohounAFRALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Hong XueAPRALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Cheryl Langdon-OrrAPRALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Rinalia Abdul RahimAPRALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Maureen HillyardAPRALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Pen Holder
Andrew MolivuraeAPRALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Yrjo LanispuroEURALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Olivier Crépin-LeblondEURALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Dev Anand TeelucksinghLACRALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Cintra SooknananLACRALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Carlton SamuelsLACRALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Sergio Salinas PortoLACRALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Fatima CambroneroLACRALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Sylvia Herlein-LeiteLACRALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Alan GreenbergNARALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Pen Holder
Darlene ThompsonNARALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant
Eduardo DiazNARALOMEETINGS AND ADMINISTRATION Participant

At-Large Rules of Procedure Process: Meetings and Administration Sandbox

MEETINGS

2013:

2012:

• No labels

3 Comments

1. I think that one of the first decision that we have to make is what type of general rules do we need. Depending on the answer, the rules in this section may be either very brief, or may need to be exceedingly detailed.

There was an extensive discussion in both Prague and on the last RoP call regarding whether we should use Robert's Rules of Order (RRoO) or some other reference. I believe there was a general tendency to use RRoO, but there was a level of discomfort with some of the people.

In my mind, the benefit of RRoO is not that the rules are better than some other set, but that they are well documented and are in use by many groups already (both in ICANN and outside).

In addition, the full rules covering meetings tend to be very complex and address many situations that we will not likely meet in the ALAC. The UN rules are an example of such complexity, and that is one of the reasons that we want to get rid of those.

RRoO has recently published a brief guide referencing only those rules that are likely to come up in regular situations. You can see it on Amazon.com (www.amazon.com/dp/0306820196). Take a look at the reviews - of 110, 104 are 4 or 5 stars.

If we decide not to use RRoO, we do need to have alternatives that may be more acceptable to the wide group of contires within At-Large. So far I do not believe I have heard any suggestions, but perhaps I have missed something.

For ANY set of rules, I believe that ALAC will use them rather loosely and the RoP should say that. The reason I say this is because according to our long-standing practice, most decisions of the ALAC are determined by consensus, and I have not heard any recommendation to change that. According whatever rules we use will only apply when "formal" action needs to be taken, or as guidance for the overall flow of formal ALAC meetings. So I am not sure how much we really need to worry about this.

2. I suggest that a sandbox page is created for this and the rest of the DT groups similar to the one created by the DSDT group. This way we can have a look at how the final draft will look like.