Andrea Glandon: (2/4/2019 09:06) Welcome to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee Working Group Call held on Monday, 04 February 2019 at 16:00 UTC.
  Andrea Glandon: (09:06) Wiki Agenda Page: https://community.icann.org/x/I6IWBg
  Evin Erdoğdu: (10:00) Hello all, welcome.
  Dave Kissoondoyal: (10:01) Hello all
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:02) hi all
  Maureen Hilyard: (10:03) https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_15te30csd02oyL-2D-5FbqEan-2DjWjU0YXGHHCH9SqwSJuAsY_edit-23&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=k7uKdjSb7_ZjItyVqrCYHo_rKms9SFxlmbYEJqG-y9I&m=9r1YPl5KSxi5reTYtfkhO7wirSyk6Lx5dYBAvnGT0Gw&s=kwrIaYLETziIccEPgiuLayHMfdXOtAdijblX3NDmTYk&e=
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:05) I suspect that is a leftover wording from a previous Agenda, the link reference in the Agenda is correct however... Probably need to update the Agenda on the wiki thpugh ;-)
  Alberto Soto: (10:05) Hello everyone!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:05) Where do we see those edits Tijani?
  Andrea Glandon: (10:06) @maureen, can you please speak up a bit for the interpreters
  Ricardo Holmquist: (10:07) Good day everyone, sorry for beeing late
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:08) I see some entered by MAureen on Tijani's behalf... Sorry I will assume that is what he referred to
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:09)  Ohh ok he has work that is *not yet* available for us yet to review I understand now 
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:09) So your meeting again to review his additional edits and before lodgement of the PC then....  
  Holly Raiche: (10:10) @ Cheryl - if it helps, I was equally confused.  
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:12) perhaps its an antipodean thing @Holly
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:12) Is this tool also applicable to other  regions
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (10:13) Looks like I joined at exactly the right time
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:13) indeed @OCL it is a perrenial weed since we started
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:13) It was a TTF  proposal and funded a few years ago
  Marita Moll: (10:13) Ground hog day  -- in Europe -- didn't know you had ground hogs
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:13) dev please join in on this
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:13) and I mean started email lilsts in the 2 languages
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (10:14) https://community.icann.org/display/LACRALO/discussion-of-LACRALO-mailing-list-issues
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:14) Thanks  Dev
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:14)   I guess the main point is does the paragraph need to be left in the final document... (178483)  The LACRALO Translation tool needs an overhaul so that it can meet the demanding language translation needs of the regional community. There are issues with some people getting translation services and others not, and the difficulties of translating different levels of Spanish. The Communications team are working on the problem, but apparently funding is an issue in order to provide the support that this particular programme currently in use, requires.
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (10:14) 4 years ago we had exactly the same situation
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (10:14) Am I in 2015?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:14) or 20015
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (10:15) we had exactly the same situation
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (10:15) exactly the same promises
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:15) or 2005 it should say ;-)
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:15) however ;-)
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (10:15) I hope it will be fixed by 20015, Cheryl. But I wonder... :-)
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:15) Dev needs to add an update and insights
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:16) Now the question is does that belong as a highlighted issue in the general PC on the FY20 Budget and 5 year plan
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:16) It was worked on first by Josh on the side, it was short changed for a long time
  Ricardo Holmquist: (10:16) Please, do include some training. Most of the problems today have to do with the way we use it
  Ricardo Holmquist: (10:16) The problem last week was related to that
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:16) Alan can we chat later about  NASIG in Montreal
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:16) I can imagine @Dev
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:18) This was the same thing that happened when we requested funding to track policy comments and the project seems to disappear
  Alan Greenberg: (10:19) @Glenn, yes. 1 pm today?
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:20) i think Dev provided a link above on issues
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:20) yes  Alan 1 is fine with me.  I will send you links with the agrenda
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (10:20) there is frustration because it has taken so much time
  Alan Greenberg: (10:21) It's simple. Does tICANN consider itself a global organization or not?
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (10:21) 0.0001 FTE on their spare time?
  Alan Greenberg: (10:21) @Heidi, when did this increased focus start?
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:22) DevÉ
  Ricardo Holmquist: (10:22) Last week it was a big issue with a vote, that was sent in Spanish, and was never traslated to english, causing a major problem with the Caribbean
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (10:22) I was not on the calls but I listened to the recordings of the calls I missed. Same talk, but at the end of the day the problem is that it does not work. Again.
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:23) Curious what  Alberto has to say if its working or  not
  Ricardo Holmquist: (10:23) Again, most of the problems are training, not system, people (including me) does not know how to use it good
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:24) Seems we have two different views on a outstanding problem
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:24) I was on the call.  I didn't get the impression from the call that  Mark was evasive and that no money was available to fix the proglem
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (10:27) The thing is,  the tool deployed in 2017 is a huge improvement over the previous version 
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (10:28) The wiki page has this in great detail from the beginning of the tool in 2008 : https://community.icann.org/display/LACRALO/discussion-of-LACRALO-mailing-list-issues
  Alan Greenberg: (10:30) We do not need a long history. But we do need to make a statement that: 1) we are delighted it has focus now. 2) it is a mandatory requirement for LACRALO to operate and needs to be classed as such.
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:32) @CLO is being wise in the public comment.  I think we need to balance comments and recommendations
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (10:33) Agree Alan, a long history isn't needed.
  Marita Moll: (10:33) I agree with @clo as well. Never good to be to damning in public statements. Highlight the problem -- don't get into the details
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:34) We really don't want to be overly critical of efforts, biting the hand that feeds you isn't smart    spanish   morder la mano que alimenta no es inteligente
  Alfredo Calderon: (10:34) +1 Cheryl's suggestion. The main issue is to have a Translation Tool that can empower different communities and manage the actual language barriers to enhance communication  and working tools.
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:34) how was my Spanish translation?
  Heidi Ullrich: (10:35) +1 Cheryl and Alan.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:35) Especially where progress *is*  having efforts (re)made  on specific issues
  Heidi Ullrich: (10:35) I do wish to stress that IT is focusing on this issue. Some mention will be useful to provide urgency. 
  Heidi Ullrich: (10:36) But there is already a planned way forwrad. 
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:36) it is the HOW you say stuff and 'get it into'the overarching documents that is essential
  Humberto Carrasco: (10:37) I apologise for being late 
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:37) once the overarching commitment/focus is there then you all have the leverage
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:38) the battle specifics past and future should not obscure the efforts of the 'war
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:38) the battle specifics past and future should not obscure the efforts of the 'war'
  Alan Greenberg: (10:39) We are 2/3 throughthis call and still on the first substantive item!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:39) the FR : EN mechanism is different
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:40) it uses a duplication of text methods in the two languages over an auto translatipn too
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:42) i heard  Afralo comments. Perhaps a survey of the region as  a whole. Its hard to believe that only LACRALO has this issue
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:42) and we have AP with hundresd of dialects and more than 58 major langiages who manage *without* any such tools we have local language programs and activities and we  use interpretation in major languages from time to time as required in calls
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:43) yes Alan, *Rabbit hole*!!!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:45) Agree Ala that was next on my WTF hit list
  Alan Greenberg: (10:49) A statement that IGF is an important component of raising stakeholder involvement, and not just at the Board and Staff level. Period!
  Heidi Ullrich: (10:53) Agree, Alan. However, the text currently focuses on the booth, pamphlets, swag, the delay in the infographic for use at the IGF. 
  Heidi Ullrich: (10:53) IMO this should be a higher level document. 
  Heidi Ullrich: (10:54) +1 Alan
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:54) ICANN didn't fund anything for  ATLARGE in Paris
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:54) I agree with Alan its not reportable
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:54) If you don't focus on engagement in Policy Development work as it exists *IN* the parts of ICANN mandated to do that  you just won't succeed
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:55) This is why i proposed a Policy Comment worksho[
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:55) workshop
  Holly Raiche: (10:56) Agree with Cheryl - the approach is outreach to engage more people in policy development
  Alberto Soto: (10:56) +1 Tijani
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:56) The Internet Ecoystem includes  Interrnet Freedom Event, RIR events,  ISOC events  etc etc
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (10:56) IGF is sponsored by ICANN
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (10:56) and that is why GNSO NCSG got support for one Glenn it is in the GNSO and ccNSO that Policy is mandated to be done
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (10:56) therefore a core ICANN activity
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (10:57) and sorry but I need to get to my next call
  Heidi Ullrich: (10:57) @Tijani, I don't disagree that the IGF is important. AT-Large staff have supported At-Large members at the IGF. 
  Ricardo Holmquist: (10:57) time is over for this call, do you plan to have a new meeting? next week?
  Heidi Ullrich: (10:58) My point is that the focus at the IGF should be on policy advice development through workshops, etc. Not uniquely the booth and outreach
  Marita Moll: (10:58) Yesm @clo -- so we have to grow the community by making the outreach more effective
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (10:59) The outreach needs to solict good people on comments.  As an example  Jon Zuck was a recent recruit and a real poster child on getting involved and active.  Also Joanna as well 
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (11:00) Exactly @Marita
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (11:00) Many of the comments are beyond his document
  Marita Moll: (11:00) And the goal of the outreach has to be getting policy people in the end
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (11:00) valuable discussion for sure
  Alfredo Calderon: (11:01) Sorry, have to leave call due to other business.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (11:01) but all this interchange *is* important and ideally if we had not had so much time required (as it should have been)  focussed on by the FandB SC
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (11:02) on the ABRs
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (11:02) a few days
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (11:02) i think i need to go to another call too
  Marita Moll: (11:02) Great call. Will try to tune into the doc. as it evolves. Despite the fact that I am trying to take a vacation. Is that allowed at ICANN
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (11:03) Bye for now
  Dave Kissoondoyal: (11:03) Thanks and bye
  Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (11:03) bye all
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (11:03) Thanks Marita
  Lianna Galstyan: (11:03) Thanks all, bye. 
  Ali AlMeshal: (11:03) thank you for all
  Evin Erdoğdu: (11:03) Thank you all
  Alberto Soto: (11:03) Thanks, Bye bye!!
  Ricardo Holmquist: (11:03) Thanks 
  Kaili Kan: (11:03) Bye!

• No labels