Yesim Nazlar: (1/9/2019 17:14) Welcome to the At-Large Capacity Builing Working Group Call taking place on Wednesday, 09 January 2019 at 15:00 UTC
Yesim Nazlar: (17:14) Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/H4wWBg
Ejikeme Egbuogu: (17:17) Hi Yesim
Ejikeme Egbuogu: (17:18) iit seems I'm too early
Yesim Nazlar: (17:29) Hi Ejikeme - we'll be starting at 15:00 UTC
1638: (17:30) hi
Yesim Nazlar: (17:31) @1638: Hello - may I please learn your name for attendance purposes?
Jasper Mangwana: (17:35) Hi Guys
Jasper Mangwana: (17:41) what time is the meeting starting
Jasper Mangwana: (17:43) just need to follow
Yesim Nazlar: (17:44) We'll be starting in 15mins
Joanna Kulesza: (17:52) Hi everyone!:)
Maureen Hilyard: (17:52) Hi Joanna
Priyatosh Jana: (17:56) hi everyone
Ejikeme Egbuogu: (17:58) hi everyone
Vanda Scartezini: (17:58) hi everyone, great year to all!!
Maritza Aguero: (17:58) Hi everyone!
Jahangir Hossain: (17:59) Hello everyone ...
Alberto Soto: (17:59) Hello everyone, hola a todos, from Buenos Aires!!
Vanda Scartezini: (17:59) jasper
Alfredo Calderon: (18:00) Hi to all! Happy New Year. / Saludos a todos! Feliz Año Nuevo.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (18:00) Same to You ALfredo
Vanda Scartezini: (18:00) abrazos Alfredo
Lilian Ivette De Luque: (18:01) Hello all
Alfredo Calderon: (18:01) Gracias para todos. Son reciprocados!
Priyatosh Jana: (18:01) wish you all a very happy new year
Isaac Maposa: (18:02) Hi everyone. Compliments of the new year.
Fatimata: (18:03) Hello everyone
Fatimata: (18:03) Happy New Year 2019
Alfredo Calderon: (18:03) @Joanna, I made some comments on your Draft for Capacity Building Strategy.
Maritza Aguero: (18:03) @joanna: I also made some comments on your draft!
Alfredo Calderon: (18:05) Looking at the 'Evaluation Tools document' I would suggest adding a Survey question on 'How did the participate heard/learned about the Webinar/Capacity Building event?
Alfredo Calderon: (18:06) This will allow various WGs to correlate the source most effective to do 'outreach & engagement'.
Heidi Ullrich: (18:07) Welcome, All!
1638 2: (18:08) Hello everyone! Natalia Filina (as 1638) is here-)
Maureen Hilyard: (18:09) Hi Natalia
1638 2: (18:09) Dear Maureen, hi!!!
Daniel K. Nanghaka: (18:10) Hi Natalia
Priyatosh Jana: (18:10) hi Natalia
Daniel K. Nanghaka: (18:10) Is ithe 1638 due to GDPR issues
1638 2: (18:11) Dear Priyatosh, Daniel, hi!!!
Alfredo Calderon: (18:11) Someone has an open mic!
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (18:11) OKease MUTE unless you are speaking
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (18:11) i am muted, not me
Ali AlMeshal: (18:12) Hello , sorry for being late
Maritza Aguero: (18:13) In this slide about the participation: can we know how many LACRALO members have participated?
Daniel K. Nanghaka: (18:14) How many participants were there in the webinars?
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (18:14) An important questio Daniel along with how many of us are the expereinced oldies so not really the Key target
Dave Kissoondoyal: (18:15) Hi all, sorry for being late
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (18:15) Because you het so few APAC people attending that are not Maureen I suspect ;=)
Maureen Hilyard: (18:17) I was going to say that 13:00UTC is 3am for me.. but I do make an effort to attend. Its not good time for APRALO
Maureen Hilyard: (18:20) Rotation helps
Fatimata: (18:20) Have we tried to repeat the same webinar at different times to accomodate different time zones?
Vanda Scartezini: (18:20) as always we shall consider rotation to give equal effort and opportunity to all regions
Priyatosh Jana: (18:21) hi Nadira
Alfredo Calderon: (18:21) @Fatimata, the issue with repeating the Webinar is the availibility of the resource/speaker/s.
Fatimata: (18:22) Thanks Alfredo
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (18:22) Not all topics may need duplication however
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (18:23) Yes the Survey sent seperate makes great sense
Joel Okomoli: (18:23) Hello everyone... apologies I had network connectivity challenges
Alfredo Calderon: (18:23) + 1 Cheryl. Some topics are regional and we can rely on recordings.
Fatimata: (18:23) I agree Cheryl. Depending on the attendance of the different regions, we may consider duplicating the session
Nadira Alaraj: (18:24) Good to see you here Priyatosh
Dave Kissoondoyal: (18:24) The line was really bad and i couldn't understand at all what Abdulkarim said
Daniel K. Nanghaka: (18:24) Duplication is not a bad idea but the most important thing is to look at the metrics and breakdown, if we make deep analysis then the same challenges affect other meetings
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (18:25) Noting that at 1300 UTC there is Usually other WG calls on within their roatation most weeks 4/5 out of my 7 nights
Beran Gillen: (18:26) hello all
Beran Gillen: (18:26) sorry for the late dial in
Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (18:26) I consider the stats can be a bit misleading - saying 80% or 100% - how many persons actually attended these calls, how many persons weren't "regulars"
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (18:26) Very faint
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (18:26) Yes Dev that is the point Daniel made earlier as well
Vanda Scartezini: (18:26) i am hearing you fatimata
Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (18:27) so sure 100% attending a call will say yes, this time is good for them
Dave Kissoondoyal: (18:27) ok on my side for Fatimata
Fatimata: (18:27) Ok let me type it
Fatimata: (18:27) I am in the US
Daniel K. Nanghaka: (18:27) I still why we cant know the number of attendees - % correlations does not provide deep analysis of situations
Fatimata: (18:27) I am asking the number of attendees
Fatimata: (18:28) do we have it?
Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (18:28) On another issue, whoever 1638 is, they can change their name - see https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/One+Pager+about+Adobe+Connect
Joel Okomoli: (18:28) 40
Fatimata: (18:29) call me on +12024593495
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (18:29) Tijani shouldn't you give the *reason* this strategy draft is being developed
Fatimata: (18:29) I am in the US right now
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (18:29) can we have the GDoc link here as well
Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (18:30) Gdoc : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1EtBN3hVjj-5Fl4Izd7hayMmV5n0jQ-2DLuXolCLBGAcPXIo_edit-3Fusp-3Dsharing&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=mrDeztziKLa7gZqGADzxcnHA3QXmXYsnChWYBR4NElI&m=u7S7lXG7Tt6wYUshP2rzHCJfi8pU5PDZchxl04oRsM8&s=IbFV8sQqEcbdqTAhXDFK1eCf8H1lW5Xwu1CB0x5889A&e=
Alexis Anteliz / VE: (18:30) Saludos a todos gracias Joanna por el borrador, creo es una muy oportuna iniciativa. / Greetings to all thanks Joanna for the draft, I think it is a very timely initiative.
Joel Okomoli: (18:32) Language should not separate our community .. let us invest in translators
Vanda Scartezini: (18:35) may be to keep recorded meeting we have in each country and make it available too may be interesting regionally.
Heidi Ullrich: (18:37) Some suggestions: 1) once approved, the strategy should be implemented by all regions to be consistent (with cultural and regional adjustments)
Heidi Ullrich: (18:38) Re the hot topics, perhaps at Kobe, the Regional Leaders could review all the regional hot policy topics and select those which are universal for At-Large.
Vanda Scartezini: (18:39) good idea heidi
Maritza Aguero: (18:40) Should the RALOS adjust their webinars to the At-large hot topics?
Maureen Hilyard: (18:41) Great idea Heidi.. Establishing a common set of topics for the At-Large Capacity Buidling WG to focus on - to develop appropriate resource material which could be used to disseminate more information to enhance understanding of each of the issues
Maritza Aguero: (18:42) Indeed, is a great idea! RALO leaders should be involved too. That was the sense of my question before: Should the RALOS adjust their webinars to the At-large hot topics?
Ali AlMeshal: (18:42) @Heidi that will be good approach
Maritza Aguero: (18:43) Right now I don´t know if that is happening.. but it has total sense!
Joanna Kulesza: (18:46) Thank you @Dec. @Cheryl, apologies, I also sent it onto the mailing list this morning.
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (18:46) Daniel is correct that he is saying the strategy must be beyond the ICANN Learn and these webinars
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (18:46) Each person has their own learning curve
Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (18:46) Indeed, Glenn
Isaac Maposa: (18:47) I think we need a comprehensive social media strategy for the Capacity Building Webinars for maximum reach. Working with the Social Media WG will also help.
Joanna Kulesza: (18:48) @Isaac - agreed, plus we might want to have individuals supporting the community on social media as well. I was trying to suggest we might want to make sure our members feel a part of the team.
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (18:48) she is speaking but echo
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (18:48) no
Dave Kissoondoyal: (18:48) echo
Maureen Hilyard: (18:48) So that the Knowledge and Policy Devment section could list the various tools and resources that could be helpful eg ICANN Learn, eBooks, Plain English Fact sheets, etc
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (18:49) Don't forget interesting Infographics, Illustrated Graphic novels/comics etc
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (18:49) more pictures
Maureen Hilyard: (18:49) Exactly
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (18:49) Important is Story Telling
Ali AlMeshal: (18:49) Social media will be great channle to promote our weibners in addtion to eBooks which i like personal
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (18:50) Missing the POV perspective
Alfredo Calderon: (18:50) @Daniel, you make a great point on what is the purpose of Capacity Building and who is the audience.
Maureen Hilyard: (18:50) +1 Alfredo
Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (18:50) https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/Outreach+Materials - go to it and update, all
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (18:50) Short videos what people got out of the ICANN meeting. Short reports shared with their community. MORE efforts outside of ICANN
Daniel K. Nanghaka: (18:50) Webinar is just one channel - what is the benchmark of the other channels of Capacity Building
Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (18:51) +1 Alfredo
Joel Okomoli: (18:51) +1 Daniel - Regional sessions which could be physical
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (18:51) The 25 under 25 campaign by ISOC last year had successful storytelling of these role models
Maureen Hilyard: (18:52) @Dev.. on the organigram which should be entitled Resources, then clicking onto the box will take them to the list of resources available in your link
Maureen Hilyard: (18:52) I meant that Webinars should be changed to Resourcse
Alfredo Calderon: (18:53) @Joanna has done a great job with this document to focus our apporach / strategies. It would be great to also include in the description of future Webinars the type of participant expected. This might take care in part what Fatimata mentions.
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (18:53) +1 @Cheryl the hot topics are quite likely to be different from region to region
Alfredo Calderon: (18:54) I was under the impression that a matrix would be designed for what @Cheryl is mentioning regarding 'Hot Topics'.
Joanna Kulesza: (18:55) @Cheryl - is it the Bylaws we should be reffering to?
Nadira Alaraj: (18:55) +1 to keep topics aligned with ICANN mission
Alberto Soto 2: (18:55) +1 cheryl and Olivier
Joanna Kulesza: (18:55) thank you @Cheryl - duly noted!
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (18:58) @Joanna *many* worthy topics even in IG are important to our ALSes and Members but they may not be "within our remit"if outside ICANNs Mission... SO some stuff needs to be pursued in other ways not in our çore work'per se,
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (18:59) and of course from our Budget ;-)
Nadira Alaraj: (18:59) +1 for putting a level for eacj webinar beginners advanced....
Joanna Kulesza: (18:59) thank you @Tijani
Alfredo Calderon: (19:00) @Harold, thus we need to classify the level of knowledge to participate. Short video clips for newcomers or Begginers; and engaged already in ICANN.
Abdulkarim Oloyede: (19:00) I would like to also ask that there should be a startegy for intoducing members to or helping mneber to understand and paticipate in the ICANN;s policy developmnet process.
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (19:00) O and E and Capacity Building are not two different things They dove tail together. Capacity Building is a ways and means to help be effective in O and E
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (19:01) Cap Bld is a Sub Set of Oand E
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (19:01) We clearly have two perspectives here on the Role of Capacity building
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (19:01) and that should be reflected going forward in 2019 and onward in our structure redo under the oranogram
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (19:02) organogram
Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (19:02) +1 Glenn and CLO - Cap Building is a subset of O&E
Dave Kissoondoyal: (19:03) i agree with Tijani about the difference between Capacity Buiding and O&E
Alfredo Calderon: (19:04) <QUESTION>Soo, @Tijani, Capacity Building should be address to what audience?<QUESTION> <Comment> Outreach & Engament should work on Face-to-Face and Newcomers<Comment>
Abdulkarim Oloyede: (19:04) I would like to also ask that there should be a strategy for introducing new members to or helping member to understand and participate in the ICANN’s policy development process. This is quite important and a lot of us do not really understand how this done especially for new members. This should also include things like the duty and responsivities of pen holders on reports. I think the capacity building working group can help on this
Joanna Kulesza: (19:04) :)
Daniel K. Nanghaka: (19:05) @Abdul Karim there is an Onboarding program for New Comers
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (19:05) +1 Alfredo
Katambi Joan: (19:05) I agree with Abulkarim
jasper mangwana: (19:05) @abdulkarim very true ,there is need for steps and member development program
Katambi Joan: (19:07) indeed it's true some of us are so new to the system be
Daniel K. Nanghaka: (19:07) @Abdul Karim look at this link https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Community+Onboarding
Alexis Anteliz / VE: (19:08) COMMENT: This document presents an opportunity to define the fields of action, in any case the vital thing is to highlight the Capacity Generation, here it will be very important to take into account the diversity of the regions at the time of selecting the topics, surely we will find much in common, which will be a good consensus exercise.
Alfredo Calderon: (19:09) <Comment>Outreach > seek newcomers; Engagement > Capacity Building to enhance skills required to develop leadership within ICANN<Cooment>
Joel Okomoli: (19:09) +1 Alfredo
Alexis Anteliz / VE: (19:10) QUESTION: When the process closes for contributions to the draft strategy. Thank you
Heidi Ullrich: (19:10) @All, there is a clear link between engagement and capacity building. Capacity building will help both newcomers and potential leaders increasae their engagement.
Abdulkarim Oloyede: (19:10) thanks Daniel
Heidi Ullrich: (19:11) @All, please keep in mind the need to incorporarte the At-Large Review Implementation Plan activities and the plans for ATLAS III in any capacity development.
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (19:11) I like to do a shout out on Prof Alfredo Calderon. He is responsible for our NASIG 2019 programme and he is a professor in Puerto Rico and he understands the importance of learning and has been a Fellow and Coach. He has a unique perspective on the role and function of Capacity Building
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (19:12) I like to nominate Alfredo Calderon for the WG Chair
Alexis Anteliz / VE: (19:12) +1 @alfredo
Jahangir Hossain: (19:12) 1+ Heidi Ullrich
Dave Kissoondoyal: (19:12) in contrast to what CLO said, i think that O&E should be a subset of Capacity Building not vice versa. Capacity Building can deal with with new commers as well as existing members who do not need any outreach
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (19:12) hard to hear
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (19:12) We can hear him faintly
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (19:13) Jasper is speaking but rather faint
Isaac Maposa: (19:13) Capacity Buildingaims at building the skills and knowledge for more engagement for both newcomers and Old participants
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (19:13) but we can here him
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (19:13) maybe Jasper can speak louder?
Harold Arcos: (19:13) Indeed @Heidi, I think the impact of Capacity Building on the ability to Create Informed Participation is direct.
Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (19:13) disagree Dave - it should be the other way around
Vanda Scartezini: (19:13) me too hear jasper but fainting..
Joel Okomoli: (19:13) I have lost you
Heidi Ullrich: (19:15) @Harold, fully agree.
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (19:16) All the other wg are tools for O and E
jasper mangwana: (19:16) network problem back online
Joel Okomoli: (19:16) ok better now
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (19:16) Perfectly clear @Maureen
Fatimata: (19:17) LAst comment before leaving this call: appropriate (available and easy to use, locally used language) CB tools for each region including social media with very short messages and videos will help members better understand ICANN activities and engage
Dave Kissoondoyal: (19:17) ok now it is clear to me .. thanks Maureen
Fatimata: (19:17) Good bye all
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (19:17) Webinars should be just A tool in a kit of tools YES!!!
Jahangir Hossain: (19:17) Fully aggre with Maureen
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (19:17) Bye fatimatta
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (19:17) i nominate Alfredo
Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (19:18) Support Alfredo
Alfredo Calderon: (19:18) I nominate Joanna.
Fatimata: (19:18) I have to get ready to run to the airport
Joel Okomoli: (19:18) Yes there are two
Alberto Soto 2: (19:18) I support Joanna
Fatimata: (19:18) Bye
Alexis Anteliz / VE: (19:18) Esa dupla sería formidable además es cohexistente con la igualdad de género
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (19:18) Alfredo you interested?
Alfredo Calderon: (19:18) How about both: Joanna and myself.
Heidi Ullrich: (19:19) Co-Chairs
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (19:19) i like that idea Alfredo
Maureen Hilyard: (19:19) I like that idea too
Joanna Kulesza: (19:19) +1
Alexis Anteliz / VE: (19:19) That duo would be formidable and is also consistent with gender equality
Fatimata: (19:19) YES to Joanna and Alfredo
Fatimata: (19:19) Bye now
jasper mangwana: (19:19) me too alfredo
Ali AlMeshal: (19:19) +1
Dave Kissoondoyal: (19:19) i support both Alfredo and Joanna as co-chairs
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (19:19) I think someone from O and E should be included in the team as well
Alberto Soto 2: (19:19) good idea Alfredo!!
Joel Okomoli: (19:19) I support co-chair approach too
Maureen Hilyard: (19:19) @Alexis I agree
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (19:19) hurray
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (19:19) Excellent Outcome
Glenn McKnight-NARALO: (19:20) Thank you Tijani
Maureen Hilyard: (19:20) Thank you Alfredo and Joanna.. And thank you to Tijani for his work in the past..
Joel Okomoli: (19:20) Thanks everyone...
Abdulkarim Oloyede: (19:20) I agree A and J
Dave Kissoondoyal: (19:20) +1 Tijani and thanks a lot
Alberto Soto 2: (19:20) Thanks, by from Buenos Aires at 32 C!!
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (19:20) Noting we will change from a WG to a new structure under Oand E
Alfredo Calderon: (19:20) Thank you all for the vote of confidence. @Joanna lets speak through Skype to beggin work.
Ali AlMeshal: (19:20) Tijani you have done great job which it will be take further with the team
Vanda Scartezini: (19:20) thank you so much Tijani you have done a great great job all these years!!
Natalia Filina: (19:20) Thank you very much to all!
Beran Gillen: (19:20) thank you
Joanna Kulesza: (19:20) @Tjani, I very much look forward to learning from you as we move on. Alfredo - thank you for agreeing to work with me.
Isaac Maposa: (19:20) Thanks everyone. Bye
Joanna Kulesza: (19:20) Thank you all.
Ali AlMeshal: (19:20) bye all
Dave Kissoondoyal: (19:20) thanks and bye to all
Maureen Hilyard: (19:20) thanks everyone for your contributions
Tracy Hackshaw: (19:20) bye all
Daniel K. Nanghaka: (19:20) Thank you bye
Nadira Alaraj: (19:20) Thank you Tijani fir all yiur effirts in this program
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (19:20) Bye for nw!
Harold Arcos: (19:20) thanks all
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (19:20) Congratulations Tijani and congratulations to the new appointees Alfredo and Joanna
jasper mangwana: (19:20) Thank you bye
Beran Gillen: (19:20) bye all
Alfredo Calderon: (19:20) Thank You Tijani for all your work.
Heidi Ullrich: (19:20) Congratulations to Joanna and Alfredo! Many thanks to Tijani for his leadership!
Alexis Anteliz / VE: (19:21) Joanna and Alfredo, count on our support and success in this challenge
Alexis Anteliz / VE: (19:21) Thanks
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (19:21) Rememeber to go comment in the GDoc!
Alexis Anteliz / VE: (19:21) Bye bye
Yesim Nazlar: (1/9/2019 17:14) Welcome to the At-Large Capacity Builing Working Group Call taking place on Wednesday, 09 January 2019 at 15:00 UTC