Discussion Notes WG Call 15 January 2010

Participants: Sebastien Bachollet, Lutz Donnerhacke, Jim Crammergraft, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Dev Annand Teelucksingh, Hong Xue

Apologies: Vivek Annand, Vanda Scartezini

Staff: Gisella Gruber-White, Matthias Langenegger

Cheryl chaired the meeting

Review of Action Items from the last meeting:

"On the issue of Public morality, ALAC will inform the Board that ALAC will be discussing the issue with the GAC. ALAC is to begin discussions with the GAC."

CLO noted that a joint meeting with the GAC is planned, possibly resulting in a joint Statement.

AI: Vanda will provide the WG on the latest developments regardsing the EOI and categorization.

AI: The WG should contact Darlene and Karaitiana to reach out to their local communities regarding feedback on the notion of Traditional Knowlegde, which the DAG refers to. Could Karaitiana and Darlene provide a paragraph on this issue for the ALAC Statement.

Hong: Trademark is a critical issue (in particular with regards to post delegation). It is not included in the STI. A registry which obtains a TLD should not deprived of their rights because of trademark claims. The DAG introduces an indirect liability to the ICANN environment.

CLO: I am concerned about this tendency to give out special rights and preferences.

AI: Hong will draft the paragraph of the Draft ALAC Statement on the DAG to point out the concern users have with overloading the DAG with special right claims.

Hong: who is in this working group? Is this still the working group from the Summit?

AI: Reach out to all the members of the Summit WG3 and the participants of the WG call on December 10, 2009 and also Ron Sherwood, Rudi and Olivier. We need to ask them about their particular interests in the DAG3 to divide up the work and start drafting the Statement.

AI: Staff to find out when the Summary of the EOI public consultation is expected to be published.

Sebastien: submitting a stand alone comment on the EOI is better than referring to it in the DAG Statement. It is also important for Staff to communicate the milestones to us. We understand that this is a moving target but it is difficult to plan ahead without any clear dates.

Hong: Categorization is important. Community based gTLD should be maintained as it seems to be the only way for some of them to be implemented. The EOI and DAG should not be merged because the EOI is not part of the DAG.

AI: Staff to add a wiki pages to the WG wiki for the five most important issues for At-Large with regards to the DAG3:
1. Morality and Public Order
2. Categorization
3. Traditional knowlegde
4. Independent Objector
5. Other Trademark issues

Also: add references to the previous Statements on Morality and Public Order, the STI Statement and the future EOI Statement to the wiki.

AI: A primary author for all of the five sections of the ALAC Statement needs to be identified.

AI: Staff will ask for a transcription of this call and distribute it to the participants of this call to review. Parts of the transcription will serve as the skeleton for the ALAC Statement on the DAG3

The next gTLD WG teleconference will be in the last week of February.

  • No labels