Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the MADT call on Tuesday 02 October 2012 at 2030 UTC
  Gisella Gruber-White:Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/vI8oAg
  Alan Greenberg:Hi Tijani
  Maureen Hilyard:HI everyone
  Maureen Hilyard:LOL
  Silvia Vivanco:Hello everyone
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Now we do
  Heidi Ullrich:4 Sept meeting: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Rules+of+Procedure+Process%3A+Meetings+and+Administration+Sandbox#comment-36209706
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:the term  'electonic or digital communication modalities' is one I have used at times reecently
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Page 21
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Important  for matters where Conflict as well
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:What's a "normal ALAC member"?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Not a chair or other ALT Member
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:ah
  Gisella Gruber-White:Evan has joined the call
  Evan Leibovitch:I'm not normally a part of this group ... just lurking
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Lurk away
  Maureen Hilyard:Perhaps whoever holds a proxy vote should declare how the proxy vote has been presented for the vote.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:in secret ballot votes this would break the secret
  Maureen Hilyard:but we are discouraging secret ballots
  Maureen Hilyard:except for personnel issues
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:when voting about people it's secret ballot
  Evan Leibovitch:So those participating in the "direction" would have to trust the proxy since the actual tally is secret
  Evan Leibovitch:(so much for just lurking... :-P )
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:The other things  about Proxies  is that they are NORMALLY open to be viewed for future record  or tabled....
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Indeed
  Maureen Hilyard:agreed
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:the review  is often only  aqvailable  after the vote is concluded
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:the trust in the
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Returning Officer is essential here
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:as long as it canbe ratified
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:there is no accountability for the proxy holder to vote as directed bu the person that gave them a directed proxy
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I suggestion was that in cases that directed proxies are given, it would be the duty of staff to check that directed proxies are indeed carried out by the proxy holder.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I'm in some groups where people  (other than the Chair)  can hold  dozens  of proxies...  but we discussed and decided  a limitation ...  Tijani  I was giving an example
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Are proxies really needed for online votes?
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Or is this  proxy discussion solely limited to F2F or "live" meetings?
  Evan Leibovitch:@Dev: good point. An online vote doesn't require being in a specific place at a specific time. Given a long enough voting period proxies should be neither needed nor allowed IMO
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:depends  Dev  in some way people have been able to  direct staff to act in the Big Pulse system  so that is a defacto Proxy   BUT  technically  it is still a Proxy
  Evan Leibovitch:@Cheryl, those are proxies for technical reasons (ie, no net access). One would hope that as time passes, voters won't need staff to cast votes on their behalf.
  Heidi Ullrich:Everyone should be able to scroll this document
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:but  we in new rules  would allow  say at the end of a meeting in country x  a vote being held in Big Pulse for example  that runs  for 3 days   I might be trecking  and well off communications foe next 6 days   the vote opens  after I leave  if needs be  rather than NOT vote  OR use Staff to  add it  I couod direct  Z(or give non directec Proxy to another ALAC Member or the Chair @Evan
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:it is contingency
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:all good Alan
  Evan Leibovitch:I can even scroll it right to left :-P
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:So you PUT a Motion  and when passed it is Resolved  OR it is Resolved  to NOT support the Motion
  Evan Leibovitch:The difference between Bill and Law is not far different from the diff between Draft and Final
  Evan Leibovitch:The construct of "friendly amendment" comes right from RROO
  Evan Leibovitch:http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#8
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:As long as we don't rebuild a monster *again*
  Evan Leibovitch:+1 for monster mitigation
  Maureen Hilyard:Shrinkage ....Definitely !
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Aren't 17.1 / 17.2 cut/pastes fro mRobert's?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Yup pretty well
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:or Cross reference to it
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Point of Order  is an INTERUPT ability
  Maureen Hilyard:cross referencing is easy for the online version.. which we have also been talking about..
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:and  also interupts a stict speaking order OR Order of Business  in an advertised Agenda
  Evan Leibovitch:That is EXACTLY what happened with the Red Cross/IOC vote. It carried by a vote of 4-2-2
  Maureen Hilyard:and regional representation being maintained
  Evan Leibovitch:Which is less than one-third of ALAC in favour.
  Maureen Hilyard:what if abstentions are greater than the yes votes?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:That is actually possible  Maureen and may be why we need a listed minimum number and Regional Diversity  rule to be in
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:must avoid  veto  yup
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:a Majority of Regional  should bbe able to support  a successful motion beoimg resolved
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:that is why the MAY ALAC Votes  is usually attached TO a Statement  @Evan  so the degree of support can also be seen
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes the time sensativity rule  has to come into play here
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:it means a MJORITY of Regions  must support
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:@ Evvan it has to be  at least 3 for it to be a Majority
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:the NEW  Rule  works  better  @Evan
  Gisella Gruber-White:Yaovi has joined the AC room
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes  the new Rules  say  you have to say why  OR state to the record you do NOT wish to say
  Evan Leibovitch:OK
  Maureen Hilyard:was it a  metrics issue?
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:yes an option, I believe. So far, it has been an option.
  Gisella Gruber-White:Yaovi is on the phone bridge
  Yaovi Atohoun:Hello. Sorry for being late. I had some power issues
  Yrjö Länsipuro:Option, not a requirement
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:The way it runs at the moment is to proactively ask for it. I agreee that this should be formalised in the RoPs
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:and the reply can be "I don't want to record a reason for my abstention"
  Evan Leibovitch:I think the big issue is that 'abstain' is used politically to oppose a motion, "sort of"
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:@ Alan if you have a personal Conflict then you should NOT be in the room
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Evan: in some cases, it is.
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:@Cheryl with online votes, all ALAC members "are in the room"
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:but  to record  that as a reason  would  be usually put forward  but IF  I do not
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:agree with Olivier : the reply can be "I don't want to record a reason for my abstention"
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:it should be mandadted to ask for a reeason to be recorded  but OK to request  that my reason is NOT recorded
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:EXACTLY  Dev
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes  Edwardo  the Garbage  would be the reason  listed for the obstention
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:@OCL  yes at the moment it is a curtesy and at the decretion of the Chair  it should be mandated
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:yes ok with Cheryl.
  Maureen Hilyard:I like it
  Evan Leibovitch:The devil's in the details. Making a consent agenda pre-supposes that a set of issues will be non-controversial and can be grouped for a single vote.
  Evan Leibovitch:The Board does this for receipt of documents but not decisions. ALAC has very few of such "vote to receive" motions.
  Evan Leibovitch:I suspect that there will be very few items for consent agendas, and a lot of work for the Chair and staff to create it. Not sure if it's worth the work.
  Evan Leibovitch:"Robert's Rules of Inertia"
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:agree, Evan...it sounds like a lot of work for Staff and Chair to create a consent agenda.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:There should be less time at meetings  though and  kinda  tough but theree you go that is the job  for the Agenda orgaisers  @Evan
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:and it is an OPtion for a Consent Agenda
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:often cslled a ZReconsideration  
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:no Z    Reconsideration rule
  Maureen Hilyard:Im heading that way too Cheryl.. less said the better?
  eduardo diaz:If we want the ROP simple then silent.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yup it is SCARY
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I'm OK with silent for now  but being  forewarned  we MIIGHT need ti deal with it in the future
  Maureen Hilyard:Less is more...
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yup
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:but it IS why all Chairs  MUST have a good working knowledge of RROP
  Evan Leibovitch:woof
  Heidi Ullrich:Bye, All!
  Silvia Vivanco:Bye all
  Yrjö Länsipuro:Bye
  Heidi Ullrich:Efficient call, as always.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:BYE

• No labels