This page is to collect ideas for developing possible engagement strategies for At-Large.

Some first ideas to generate discussion:

• What would be the criterion for deciding if an ALS is not engaged in your RALO/At-Large?
  • Do RALOs have a list of non-engaged ALSes?

• What are possible approaches to deal with non-engaged ALSes?
    • Decide to pick some ALSes to focus and mentor with? What criteria do we use to pick which ones and why?
    • Do we survey those non-engaged ALSes to find out why they are not engaged? (A challenge is that they may not respond to a survey)

• How can ALSes, especially newer ALSes be more engaged when they join At-Large?
    Perhaps by having the sort of material, not necessarily a beginner's guide, but some form of infographcs and short videos are needed.
    Maybe we need to look at ICANN Learn, or Glenn's ebook idea to see how to convey these concepts on how ALSes can be involved.
    The At-Large website redesign is also looking at these concepts of how we reach persons to get involved.

• No labels

13 Comments

1. I  think that a problem for a lot of new ALSes who register is that they have absolutely NO IDEA of what they are getting themselves into. 
    My suggestion is that potential ALS applicants should undergo an orientation programme  BEFORE they finally submit their applications to become members.. This could be as an online training programme - including a webinar that they must have watched and acknowledged, and posed any questions about their potential involvement eg time commitment, number of members who will actually be involved, etc.  Perhaps they could be asked to complete a survey or a questionnaire about their organisation and their community involvement to give a broader idea of the skills and knowledge of those who will be potential participants - the sort of thing we are now finding out about our current ALSes, so that we have an idea of where we might be able to use their skills. The ALAC should be able to access this information before we vote (as a back up to the RALO recommendation which is also valuable from a local perspective).
    1. I also think that the webinar needs to be absolutely clear about the time committment and the expectations. The original requirements are very few. As the RALOs have grown, so have the requirements. We need to make sure that new applicants are clear, and also get existing ones to sign on to our new requirements since it's changing from what they originally signed up for. We can also ask ALSes to provide more than 2 names, to make sure that they have a few people who can participate. 

Do we have a minimum size for an ALS?

2. Well I admit, I don't think no one is ever fully prepared until they begin to dip their toes and start to wade deeper and deeper into the At-Large waters.

I think a orientation webinar would be good and goes towards making any new ALS reps, including new represenatives at ALS understand what's what in At-Large.

I'm not too sure about having prospective ALSes complete a skills survey in order to have ALAC and RALO advice on whether they should be accredited. Do we want to make it hard for persons to get involved in At-Large? Make it too intimidating?

1. We could ask in a non-intimidating way (smile)   We recently surveyed current ALSes about what occupational backgrounds, skills and knowledge they brought to their RALOs - why can't we ask them before the enter the fold, and save ourselves the survey time?

We don't want to scare them away, but we aren't doing ourselves any favours by enabling them to join, and then they don't even attend RALO meetings because they don't know from the outset that that is an expectation and that their attendance at such events is measured!

2. I agree with the intro webinar, and maybe a call to make it more personal. But more forms to fill out might make it too much for some applicants.

3. I like Maureen's idea. Maybe an ICANN introduction and how can them join to work already done is an excellent approach. I just want to add that maybe we could create some pre-WG to every ALS candidate could be know how it works inside At-Large and ICANN itself. 

Maybe not only a Webinar but instead as a pre-requisite for each new ALS candidate could be to take an online course from ICANN E-learning courses, previously stablished. I also believe that members from a new ALS have some habilities that At-Large and RALOs in general must benefit. 

It is important, also, note for them difference between ICANN meeting and online WG meeting, because as we know remote participation could be used as an approach for ICANN but F2F meetings are another thing. We may search (or create) some "adoption" mechanism to introduce potentially new ALS to ICANN world.

4. I agree Juan Manuel... perhaps as part of their e-Learning Introductory Course, they could take part in an meeting about ICANN on Adobe Connect to check that they can connect and participate.

What we are asking for is something similar to the (Leadership) Academy, but for ICANN Learners.

5. This is an excellent effort. I'm not sure we really want a "test" to be allowed to apply, but more information to properly set expectations would be good. And I like the idea of perhaps one-on-on intro to methodologies such as adobe connect.

6. Hi All

Attached is the  2014, 2015 and the identification of  low  attendance  ALS 

The  spreadsheet  needs some work since  a few  are  decertified and need to be removed from the list generated by staff.

The low attendance of the  first half  of  2015 are either  ZERO, a single or  two  meetings

All lthe RALO's  need a  strategy to engage the   'wayward' ALS's to bring them back into the fold

Glenn

7. Asking non-participating ALSes why they no longer participate is a great idea. I'd sugest that we not do an impersonal survey via email, but a proper survey with phone interviews or something like that will make it more personal and easier to get good responses. 

8. The introduction of the regional calendar has had a very positive response from our community as Siranush reported. ALSes are quite excited about being able to share what they are doing in their part of the region and that we value their participation and attachment to ICANN. The more interactive ideas that we can come up with the better.

I agree with Alan that we don't want an eLearning activity introducing potential ALS candidates to ICANN to seem like a test. An interactive online learning approach where learners can choose options and actually be engaged in the learning process (rather than just reading lots of text) would be a great way to introduce prospective ALS members to the more hands on expectation of our ALS members and their involvement in our working groups. 

9. Some other ideas after having a call with Daniel Khauka Nanghaka :

To solve engagement, have ALSes to care about and be involved in DNS related issues at

• local level -- e.g policies that govern your ccTLD ; DNS reliability ; DNS security (DNSSEC) ; WHOIS privacy of ccTLD domain registration
    • regional level  -- e.g DNS reliability in the region ; DNS security
    • global level -- e.g IANA stewardship transition ; CCWG on Accountability ;  many locals use gTLDs and therefore are governed by the policies (WHOIS privacy) that gTLD registries set with registrants,

If ALSes don't care about DNS related issues at the local level, they are unlikely to care about global DNS related issues.

So to get ALSes, engaged, have to

• raise awareness of possible local DNS issues ;
    • ask ALSes input/opinion on their regional ICANN strategy
    • help foster discussions about other local/regional ICT/IG issues - e.g net neutrality

To raise ICANN issues for ALSes to respond to, have to get ALSes to understand the impact of the ICANN issue to them, and create compelling content for them to see the impact of the ICANN issue to them.

Other engagement challenges:

- getting connected to At-Large calls ; persons can't be reached on their phones, persons don't have sufficient net connectivity

Another suggestion to foster engagement in WGs:

• A WG should be able to select a regional active member to attend a regional ICANN F2F meeting

10. These are very good points, Daniel and Dev.

Capacity building webinars have been trying to address the gaps in knowledge and understanding about what ICANN's core business is about. Somehow we are still not disseminating that message of understanding and the need for wider ALS participation.

CANN Learn and the CB and any other webinars should complement each other - but they are all siloed approaches which need to be better coordinated. Resources need to be created that are more generic so that it is less confusing for newbies who just want to know what ICANN is about and how they can participate in ICANN business.