Terri Agnew 2:Welcome to the At-Large Capacity Building Program-2015: Eleventh Webinar on the Topic: GNSO Policy Development Process  on Wednesday, 18 November 2015 at 20:00 UTC

Terri Agnew 2:meeting page: https://community.icann.org/x/lrpYAw

Glenn McKnight:Hi

Amr Elsadr - GNSO:Hi all.

Maureen Hilyard:Hi everyone - looks like a crowd is forming

Harold Arcos:Hi all, good wednesday!

Mary Wong:Hello everyone, thanks for joining today!

Harold Arcos:Greetings to interpreters.

Alberto Soto -IIISI:Hola a todos, hello all!!

Ricardo Holmquist - ISOC Venezuela:Hola a todos, hello everyone

Terri Agnew:Checking for line

Narine Khachatryan:Hello everyone!

Aída Noblia:Hello all

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Hi Amr! :-)

Mary Wong:Following from Amr's point, a GNSO Policy Development Process (PDP) can be started by the GNSO Council voting to launch one, or the Board requesting the GNSO to do one. Other ICANN SO/ACs can also request the GNSO to investigate topics and decide if a PDP is desirable.

Mary Wong:The main condition is that, as Amr says, the GNSO develops policies concerning generic top-level domains (gTLDs) only.

Mary Wong:@Amr, that is correct as to current ongoing PDPs.

Mary Wong:Although some Working Group (WG) members may also be members of a stakeholder group, constituency or other group, and as such they can bring views from various parts of the community into WG discussions, all participate in the WG as individuals.

Mary Wong:All WG documents and discussions, including reviews of public comments, are publicly archived. Relevant documents will also either be included or linked to in the Final Report.

Glenn McKnight 2:Interesting process  used by RIR's  ie. ARIN  https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html

Mary Wong:Thank you for the question, Wafa.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:NCA = Nominating Committee Appointee (on the diagram)

Mary Wong:In recognition of the acronym obsession, there is an Acronym Helper on the GNSO website home page :)

wafa:@Mary Wong can you send the link please

Ariel Liang:new At-Large website is learning from the GNSO site re acroynm helper :)

Ariel Liang:*acronym

Mary Wong:@Wafa, there are links on the slides, which will be published for this webinar but here is the GNSO homepage with the Acronym Helper and a Google Translate function: http://gnso.icann.org/en/

wafa:much appreciated

Mary Wong:No worries, please let us know if you would like additional assistance or information!

Terri Agnew:Glossary of Acronyms: http://gnso.icann.org/en/acronyms.html

wafa:thank you Mary

wafa:thanks Terri

Garth Graham:outreach point is helpful, my thanks

Mary Wong:@Garth, ICANN does what it can but the reality is that on many topics it's the community that may be in a better position to know who outside ICANN would likely be interested in a particular topic or issue. It's therefore a combination of what ICANN can do to publicize an effort and the community's efforts to make sure a connection is made with the broader public on topics of interest.

Mary Wong:If you look at the tabs on the left side of this page - which is a list of all the active GNSO Working Groups right now - you will see which are PDPs and which are non-PDPs: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/active

Alan Greenberg:In fact, a PDP that is chartered to create Consensus Policy (CP) may ALSO have outcomes that are not CP in addition.

Mary Wong:@Alan, thanks again - yes. The main point about CP is that it can ONLY be created by means of a PDP, to put it another way.

Alan Greenberg:Correct!

Mary Wong:Phew! :)

Alan Greenberg:The expression Non-PDP WG was only coined because at one point, some people got confused and felt that any GNSO WG was implicitly a PDP, but that was never the case. A WG is just that, A Working group!

Mary Wong:Absolutely!

Amr Elsadr - GNSO:I was disconnected.

Garth Graham:yes

Glenn McKnight 2:What percentage of policies completely through the sausage maker?

Mary Wong:@Glenn, can you explain your question?

Glenn McKnight 2:How many policies  are  kicked out the process due to out of scope?

Alan Greenberg:Nothing is kicked out due to be out of scope.

Mary Wong:@Glenn, that's why there is an Issue Report before a PDP starts - that determines the scope of the WG charter, and so ensures that PDP efforts are within scope for the GNSO.

Alan Greenberg:It takes a higher threshold of the GNSO COuncil to start a PDP which is "out of scope"

Alan Greenberg:But once it starts, it cannot be stopped for that reason.

Mary Wong:There is "scope" for a particular PDP (determined by the charter) and "scope" for the GNSO (see Bylaws).

Alan Greenberg:PDPs could fail due to deadlock or be cancelled because it is no longer relevant.

Glenn McKnight 2:Do we have a history of  a  policy that was rejected then reintroduced when the climate or  condition has changed and it passed

Ariel Liang:Quick Info page on the GNSO website: http://gnso.icann.org/sites/gnso.icann.org/files/gnso/presentations/policy-efforts.htm

Glenn McKnight 2:This helps  thanks  Alan

Glenn McKnight 2:It clarifies the process

wafa:i can see that i didn't respect one rule i didn't give m full name :) it' good to know

Carlos Raul:Please dont forget to mention the training modules and the release date

Mary Wong:@wafa, there's no penalty for not doing so :) But it does help with recording attendance and for making sure that it is only WG members that are on that particular call.

Mary Wong:@Carlos, GNSO Learn is already live, but we continue to improve and modify it (due to feedback from you and others, thank you!)

Glenn McKnight 2:@Mary we like to speak with you and Maureen Hilyard on our  Ebook projects as a tool to help education

Mary Wong:@Glenn, sure! There are also other members of the policy team and especially GSE (Global Stakeholder Engagement) team that would be interested. I see Chris Mondini is also on today's call so perhaps he or his team can also provide input.

Glenn McKnight 2:Great  We are in beta  and we will followup

Mary Wong:Excellent, please do!

Narine Khachatryan:Thank you, Amr and Mary, for the presentation, my question is related to the Slide 13 with fence, about the changed policies (inside the fence or out the fence) not being mandatry for the contracted parties? Thank you.

wafa:thank you Amr

Alberto Soto -IIISI:Thanks to all!!!

wafa:thank you Mary

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - CLO:thank you Afraid Mary

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - CLO:ok that is a new bizarre from my auto correct...  Amr.  not Afraid!!!

wafa::)

Mary Wong:@Narine, contracted parties have obligations under their contracts (as registries or registrars) with ICANN. These are negotiated, but they are also obliged to comply with all Consensus Policies which may not be spelled out in the actual contract. Rather, these Consensus Policies are developed through this PDP process in the GNSO - and as these Policies are approved (or modified) a contracted party must comply with them.

Mary Wong:I hope that helps.

Narine Khachatryan:Mary, thanks

Mary Wong:You're very welcome!

Amr Elsadr - GNSO:Alan's correct. There is no rule that says that a member of the GNSO has to chair a GNSO WG. Anyone can be selected by the WG members.

Alan Greenberg:Cheryl has been one of the most active people in GNSO WGs. Not only from At-Large, but amongst ALL parts of the community.

Mary Wong:Yes, definitely!

Amr Elsadr - GNSO:@Cheryl: You've peaked my interest. I want to know more about this person. :)

Alan Greenberg:@Alberto. Yes.

Amr Elsadr - GNSO:I probably should have covered this Alberto.

Alan Greenberg:Some people even talk when they don't know anything about the subject. But THAT is not recommended.

Garth Graham:I think the whole point of open processes is that we are ALL learners

Amr Elsadr - GNSO:Although anyone can join as an observer, I would recommend that folks sign up as members, even if still learning.

Alberto Soto -IIISI:Thanks!!

Amr Elsadr - GNSO:Good question Alberto.

Mary Wong:Yes, there is no expectation that everyone must speak all the time, or in their first WG!

Alberto Soto -IIISI:It is that I have time to participate...

Amr Elsadr - GNSO:I hope Alan's not talking about me on my first working group!! :D

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - CLO:there is always the back channel cha Alan ;-)

Mary Wong:I think the only advice I'd give that's a bit of a "condition" is that it is probably not a good idea to volunteer to chair a WG if it is your first time ever!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - CLO:indeed Mary

Amr Elsadr - GNSO:Thank you all for having me on this call.

Alberto Soto -IIISI:Thanks!!!

Mary Wong:Thank you for having us!

Narine Khachatryan:Thanks

Ariel Liang:thank you all!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - CLO:thanks all... before now

wafa:thank you all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - CLO:sigh bye 👋

• No labels