Terri Agnew:Dear all, Welcome to the At-Large Ad-hoc WG on the Transition of US Government Stewardship of the IANA Function on Thursday, 08 January 2015 at 14:00 UTC

Terri Agnew:meeting page: https://community.icann.org/x/mo4QAw

Gordon Chillcott:I'll stay muted for a bit, to check.

Terri Agnew:Thank you Gordon

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Hello All.

Fatima Cambronero:hello everyone

Carlton Samuels:Howdy all

Tom Lowenhaupt:Ho do you reload the agenda?

Janvier Ngnoulaye:Hi to Call

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:reload on your browser, Tom

Heidi Ullrich:Welcome ,All!

Terri Agnew:Welcome Lori Taylor

Terri Agnew:**Loris Taylor

Eduardo Diaz:¡Hola a todos!

Terri Agnew:Action Items 23 December 2014: https://community.icann.org/x/BIkQAw

Loris Taylor:Good Morning!

April Tinhorn:Buenos dias, Eduardo!

April Tinhorn:Good day, All.

Terri Agnew:Welcome Seun Ojedeji

Heidi Ullrich:Welcome, April!

Seun Ojedeji:Thanks Terri

Seun Ojedeji:can i have a dial-out?

Terri Agnew:IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group Issues Proposal Assembly and Finalization Process and Updated Transition Process Timeline: https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-01-07-en

Loris Taylor:All:  April Tinhorn is the new policy manager for Native Public Media. 

Terri Agnew:Welcome Avri Doria

Terri Agnew:At-Large Ad-hoc WG on the Transition of US Government Stewardship of the IANA Function: https://community.icann.org/x/OYThAg

Terri Agnew:We are dialing out to Sean at this time

Terri Agnew:CRISP: https://www.nro.net/nro-and-internet-governance/iana-oversight/consolidated-rir-iana-stewardship-proposal-team-crisp-team

Terri Agnew:Welcome Sivasubramanian M

Janvier Ngnoulaye:Thanks Tijani

Terri Agnew:Seun is on audio

Seun Ojedeji:here now

Loris Taylor:I am hearing typing in the background. 

Janvier Ngnoulaye:Thanks Seun

Terri Agnew:• Last Call for comments on IETF Transition proposal: http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/cwg-stewardship/2014-November/000721.html

Sivasubramanian M:hello Terri,  Thanks

Janvier Ngnoulaye:@Lorris: May be the Staff must automatically mute all the microphones

Seun Ojedeji:+1 :-)

Terri Agnew:RFP 4 : https://community.icann.org/x/EyrxAg

Carlton Samuels:@IETF: Not a core problem but we can learn from their angst!

Avri Doria:an ietf appeal hass many stages.  to the chair, then to the iesg, then to the IAB , and then (on process only) to the isoc board

Carlton Samuels:The issue is and remains 'separability in context of accountability'.

Sivasubramanian M:Yes Olivier,  please wait for a while till I get a phone call

Terri Agnew:RFP 5: https://community.icann.org/x/FSrxAg

Janvier Ngnoulaye:@Carlton: Yes, since IETF proposal is more tech, we can always learn from their answsers

Terri Agnew:@cheryl we are unable to hear you

Sivasubramanian M:not yet olivier

Heidi Ullrich:Hi all, apologies for not having Siva on the call

Heidi Ullrich:we are dialing out to him now

Heidi Ullrich:He had asked me in a private chat, but I didn't see it in time.

Carlton Samuels:@Janvier: You get the nuanced view!  The technical argument will be simply the best wedge against the political argument

Terri Agnew:@all, Siva is on audio

Terri Agnew:CWG CSC/MRT Survey:  http://goo.gl/forms/q29h3d29he

Terri Agnew:Welcome Leon Sanchez

Janvier Ngnoulaye:@Carlton: true

Leon Sanchez:thanks @Terri

Leon Sanchez:sorry for coming in late. hello everyone

Seun Ojedeji:I sugegst we discuss one by one

Janvier Ngnoulaye:+1 @fatima for the question

Terri Agnew:@Siva we are dialilng back out to you

Loris Taylor:How willl the results of the survey be used?

Seun Ojedeji:Difficult indeed

Fatima Cambronero:the million dollar question :)

Carlton Samuels:The solution has always been before us!  The power dynamics cannot change all that much. Our Uncle Sam would be really not upto scratch if it did. I keep on telling y'all that benign as you think it is,  the big issue really was the suzerian power of the USG that is vested in current arrangement. That is the case until the USG changes the strategic view of the Internet; 'it is in the national security interest of the United States'. It always is about how we retain the 'full faith and credit of the United States Government'. The solution must be one that for public dissemination 'feel the hand of Esau even as we hear the voice of Jacob'. What is required is to breadcrumb the 'internal solution' in this context and you get the prize. 

Loris Taylor:A survey is very different from a position statement.  So Iam wondering whether the survey opens up a variance of positions rather than a consolidated position. 

Sivasubramanian M:Heidi  Thanks for the dial out.  I noticed a peculiar problem,  during this and the previous ccwg call, when I recieve a call from the operator and stay connected on the phone bridge, the 3G connection on the phone gets interruppted. Wonder how and why this happens,  3G got disconnected, and in the android phone even the mobile network settings faded out to be inaccessible.

Sivasubramanian M:So staying with adobe  Sorry for the distraction on the chat window, but thought this might be of peripheral interest on technical administrative matters

Avri Doria:haven't they initiated a 2 track on the two forms of model?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Avri: I believe they have but isn't this a pretty recent development?

Avri Doria:today.  though it has been leading up to this.

Avri Doria:so now is the time for people who support eh intenal model of sperabilty &c. to define it is detail. then we can begine complexity analysis and comparison &c.

Alan Greenberg:@avri, it has been suggested and there was some support (and some opposition) but it is not clear how this will work.

Avri Doria:the openning to do it it there.  grab it and run with it.

Sivasubramanian M:1 No CSC

Sivasubramanian M:No No No

Fatima Cambronero:if we have different answers, then we discuss them

Janvier Ngnoulaye:I saw that the "Name" is mandatory. The survey should keep the anonymity, to increase the credibility of the data. I think the duplication problem can be solved otherwise.

Sivasubramanian M:CSC with an another kind of scope, Yes

Seun Ojedeji:for the first i am for "IS acceptable" and the second i will suggest "agree"

Sivasubramanian M:CSC with just enough role to ensure that the IANA technical operations remain dumb

Terri Agnew:Welcome Glenn McKnight

Fatima Cambronero:for me the difference between the options of #5 is external or internal entity/body

Glenn McKnight:I thought the  call  was at  10  today

Sivasubramanian M:and that the technical operations are carried out efficiently enough to ensure that the Customers are not affected, sort of observer role, with powers to alert, to provide technical help, expertise.

Carlton Samuels:@CSC support: That is one the ALAC should be prepared top concede in the larger context.

Sivasubramanian M:If there are to be multistakeholders, are these multistakeholders multistakeholder-customers? If not, how would you call it CSC ?

Carlton Samuels:Keep your eye on the prize!

Carlton Samuels:@Sivas: The explanation Alan gave is sufficient.  This group has two components; 1) It is focused on the immediate customers of IANA 2) It addresses a narrow technical objective

Carlton Samuels:@Alan: +1! That's the way to think of it.  Where it goes depends on the larger context

Sivasubramanian M:What if Registries are allowed a more than proportionate representation in a mutlistakeholder Committee that would act as one layer of oversight on technical efficiency of the IANA Operator who provides the backend?

Seun Ojedeji:I am concerned that we are still on the first question ;-)

Eduardo Diaz:Then I will say is acceptable

Eduardo Diaz:the second question

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Seun: me too -- time is ticking...

Eduardo Diaz:is acceptable means that you do not care which way it goes. Saying no it means outside

Fatima Cambronero:"the CSC should be an ICANN working group" < yes or no? agree or disagree? I cannot understand your comments...

Fatima Cambronero:@Seun, @Olivier, me too. Please don't explain every detaill of each question. Tell us the answer

Fatima Cambronero:then we can discuss the detaills

Sivasubramanian M:Continuing on what I said about  CSC  being a technical oversight layer on a certain level, wouldn't it be appropriate to drop the word customer, while allowing a more than proportionate representation to the customers>

Sivasubramanian M:?

Carlton Samuels:@OCL: It is VERY important to understand the nuances of this CSC given all that swirls around it. Especially the role the ALAC [At-Large] may play

Seun Ojedeji:no response?

Fatima Cambronero:agree option 2

Sivasubramanian M:CSC by a different name, could act as a "Stability" layer for technical assurance

Fatima Cambronero:in my case, I disagree with option 3

Seun Ojedeji:4 and 2 seem similar

Avri Doria:some argue that the CSC shiould include experts as well as direct constomers, that is in later questions.

Carlton Samuels:@Alan: "multistakeholder input" is a different kettle from "multistakeholder membership component"

Fatima Cambronero:agree @Carlton

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to Tijani

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Tijani +1.

Fatima Cambronero:+1

Fatima Cambronero::)

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Similarly, I still think that putting forward "consumer" instead of "user" is exclusive, not inclusive.

Seun Ojedeji:i will suggest "its acceptable"

Sivasubramanian M:5 yes but add At Large

Glenn McKnight:Agreed add  ALAC

Avri Doria:well you could add a note saying that user experts should be included.

Fatima Cambronero:agree @Seun

Fatima Cambronero:it is better than option 3

Seun Ojedeji:hahahaha

Fatima Cambronero:I am doing so as well @Olivier

Seun Ojedeji:+1

Fatima Cambronero:5 disagree

Sivasubramanian M:7  MRT requires administrative expertise while CSC requires technical expertise

Avri Doria:warned until people got sick of me.

Sivasubramanian M:MRT is more of a judicial function, while the underlying idea, not so well expressed so far, behind CSC is assuranace of the continuity and stability of IANA function operations

Seun Ojedeji:well i think maybe that one was intentionally done, because they would have seperated it

Fatima Cambronero:6 acceptable

Fatima Cambronero:I don't understand that option. Can someone explain it?

Seun Ojedeji:which one @Fatima?

Fatima Cambronero:7.7

Seun Ojedeji:its basically saying CSC should be formed from MRT

Avri Doria:mrt and CSC might be different skill sets.

Gordon Chillcott:Agree with Alan

Sivasubramanian M:+1 Avri

Sivasubramanian M:And agree with ALAN

Fatima Cambronero:8 agree

Seun Ojedeji:+1 strongly agree

Alan Greenberg:Rearranging deck chairs on the deck of the Titanic comes to mind....

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Because of another obligation, I'll be signing off at 15 minutes past the hour.

Seun Ojedeji:quite challenging question @Tijani

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to @Olivier's comment

Avri Doria:chairs group + some designed the qsurvey and RFP3 reviewd it, sort of.

Seun Ojedeji:+1

Avri Doria:shouldn't they also be able to go to the IAP?

Fatima Cambronero:users=customers? or is differentt?

Seun Ojedeji:i think it is @Fatimata

Seun Ojedeji:*fatima*

Fatima Cambronero::) thanks @Seun

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to Eduardo

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to Tijani i mean

Seun Ojedeji:we should follow existing processes

Alan Greenberg:@avri IAP would only be when things get rreally bad. It is not to address operational issues I would think. It will be (on a relative scale) slow and expensive.

Seun Ojedeji:MRT should be seen as last resort when everything fails

Alan Greenberg:All these questions are asking if we should add useless (or worse) bureacracy

Seun Ojedeji:sorry it seem some of these questions are repetitive ;-)

Fatima Cambronero:so the steps would be CSC > MRT > IAP?

Seun Ojedeji:IAP could be what MRT will utilise

Seun Ojedeji:+1 @Fatima

Eduardo Diaz:+1

Glenn McKnight:Alan is right on the role

Seun Ojedeji:+1 Olivier ;-)

Sivasubramanian M Phone:for issues to be routed through CSC or MRT, these structures would require a staff structure on their own and a full fledged and ongoing administrative machinery, so we could recommend away from proposals to route issues through MRT or CSC

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Fatima about customers/users. Customers is a word favoured by the Domain Name Businesses. Users is a work we should favour, because this implies  user rights, and not only a contractual relation between the provider of a service, and its client.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Signing off.

Fatima Cambronero:thanks @JJ for this clarification

Fatima Cambronero:sorry I lost, 15 agree or disagree?

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to Olivier

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to Alan on disagree

Fatima Cambronero:thanks!

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:9.15 = Disagree

Seun Ojedeji:9.16 is disagree for me, the community should be involved in reviewing/developing the SLA

Fatima Cambronero:18 acceptable for me

Seun Ojedeji:@Fatima its disagree for me because there are existing process to checking policy implementation

Fatima Cambronero:I understand your point @Seun about policy implementation

Tom Lowenhaupt:Need to depart. Thanks all for your efforts.

Sivasubramanian M Phone:on both options, CSC addressing policy issues and b) CSC referring issues to MRT AFTER it finds it difficult to reconcile issues on its own, the implication is that the scope of CSC is expanded

Seun Ojedeji:@Alan i would not even think attempting to resolve will be ideal for CSC, they are supposed to be reporting team (but unless its internal to ICANN)

Sivasubramanian M Phone:considering the fact that CSC is to be largely composed of customers, such an expansion in scope would create a sensitive imbalance

Sivasubramanian M Phone:Olivier your audio is good. If you haven't moved on please read the reasons typed as two paragraphs

Gordon Chillcott:Agree

Alan Greenberg:@Seun, most problems are going to be accidental or a new person taking over a function and not being properly trained. We need to fix these problems as quickly as possible and with as little bureacracy as possible. Ig it were to go to an MRT that might not meet often, the delay could be unreasonable.

Fatima Cambronero:acceptable

Gordon Chillcott:Acceptable

Seun Ojedeji:fair enough @Alan

Loris Taylor:If the survey questions are dependent on the strutural model, I think the questions will need to be revisited.  Or perhaps these questions should be asked for each proposed structure.  If not, we will need to provide a great deal of explanations and comments.

Fatima Cambronero:12.1 agree

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to Alan that one is not very clear

Eduardo Diaz:I am not sure what i* means

Fatima Cambronero:I* RIRs, ISOC, etc

Seun Ojedeji:looks like we skipped 11

Seun Ojedeji:of was it me that missed it?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: @Seun: yes :-)

Fatima Cambronero:12.1 was totally agree or agree

Seun Ojedeji:Okay so i missed it...but can someone tell me what we determined for the 2 questions in 11?

Sivasubramanian M Phone:I sort of disagree. because we can work on balancing and corrective processes without prophesizing scenarios where the fundamental agreement on ICANN as the global, MS organization for Names AND Numbers is threatened.

Sivasubramanian M Phone: that was on the earlier point

Fatima Cambronero:acceptable Seun

Eduardo Diaz:I will say strongly disagree or no response duru to not understanding the question and add a commnet at the end stating the confision

Seun Ojedeji:Thanks @Fatima

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:11A first part = A second part is A or IA

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:A = agree. IA = Is Acceptable

Seun Ojedeji:Thanks

Terri Agnew 2:Cheryl has dropped from telephone to join another call but still on AC audio for Iana issues

Seun Ojedeji:Okay Olivier

Fatima Cambronero:I understood the same to you @Eduardo

Sivasubramanian M Phone:MRT needs to be at least as much "hands off" as NTIA

Fatima Cambronero:13.9 disagree

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to Fatima

Gordon Chillcott:I am leaning toward Tijani's argument . . .

Seun Ojedeji:lost audio

Seun Ojedeji:can i be dialed back?

Terri Agnew:@Seun, yes

Fatima Cambronero:14.11 disagree

Fatima Cambronero:14.12 agree?

Fatima Cambronero:I lost the answer

Fatima Cambronero:I can stay in the Adobe in English channel

Seun Ojedeji:okay back

Fatima Cambronero:I am the only one in the Spanish channel

Fatima Cambronero:thanks Sabrina & Veronica!

Fatima Cambronero:15.17 totatlly disagree

Loris Taylor:Will survey notes from todays call be sent out to us?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Loris -- yes -- in mnemonic, I think

Fatima Cambronero:+1 Alan

Gordon Chillcott:+1 Eduardo

Fatima Cambronero:so 16.20 agree

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I've been dropped

Terri Agnew:@Olivier, dialing back out to you

Fatima Cambronero:only 3 questions. Go!

Seun Ojedeji::-)

Gordon Chillcott:Agree

Seun Ojedeji:@Alan i thought we should not imply too much representation

Sivasubramanian M Phone:Alan is there any other CW meeting in 8 minutes ? coomunity-wide?

Alan Greenberg:No, a private meeting

Seun Ojedeji:No opinion for me on 16.21

Seun Ojedeji:please tell me that one is not now :-)

Seun Ojedeji:good observation @Eduardo

Sivasubramanian M Phone:sorry Alan Heard only meeting thought I missed a mail on one of the cw meetings

Seun Ojedeji:is the second one already up for comment?

Fatima Cambronero:yes @Seun

Seun Ojedeji:Sign..... :)

Loris Taylor:Thank you!

Seun Ojedeji:Thanks Olivier it was good we went through it

Seun Ojedeji:very ueful

Seun Ojedeji:*useful*

Fatima Cambronero:thank you very much @Sabrina and @Veronica!

Sivasubramanian M Phone:please also post the link to this survey as there are so many happening

Gordon Chillcott:Thanks, Olivier

Leon Sanchez:bye everyone

Seun Ojedeji:bye

Eduardo Diaz:Make sure you answer the survey today

Glenn McKnight:bye

Leon Sanchez:thanks all

Fatima Cambronero:thanks @Olivier, all. Bye

April Tinhorn:Thank you.

• No labels