Terri Agnew: Welcome all to the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach meeting on Monday, 29 September at 1900 UTC

Terri Agnew:meeting page: https://community.icann.org/x/sxfxAg

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Hi there Terri. Thanks!

Terri Agnew:Pascal Bekono will only be able to stay on for 30 minutes

Roberto Gaetano:Hi, all

Siranush Vardanyan:hello everyone

Terri Agnew:Welcom Roberto and Siranush

Siranush Vardanyan:hearing so lovely voices of APRALO ladies:)

Maureen Hilyard:Hi everyone.

Glenn McKnight:Hi

Glenn McKnight:on adigo too

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Hello everyone

Glenn McKnight:fifth  ALAC  call today, 

Glenn McKnight:muted 

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:sounds normal @glenn

Terri Agnew:Welcome Judith Hellerstein

Terri Agnew:Welcome Ron Sherwood

Terri Agnew:Post ATLAS2 ACTION Items: https://community.icann.org/x/2BfxAg

Terri Agnew:Welcome Pierre Dovonou

Heidi Ullrich:Recommendations of the Capacity Building WG: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Capacity+Building+Working+Group+2014-09-26+Action+Items

Glenn McKnight:I have  attended  ARIN  and  we  at NARALO  are looking at  a MOU with them and  we need to  reach out and participate with their  events.  The events are free

Glenn McKnight:IETF , IGF and ISOC  events

judith hellerstein:This is exactly what Glenn had talked about Arin is regional programs for North America

Roosevelt:What about support towards assisting RALOs with increasing their regional membership?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes @OCL. AP has done some focused outreach onto business and DNS industry

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Roosevelt: that's CROPP

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Community Regional Outreach Pilot Program

Roosevelt:Been asking about this for a long time.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:asists RALOs in increasing their regional membership

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yrs adding speakers bureau comes under GSE. activity as we 

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:also agreed

Murray McKercher:I have great audio and just joined the AC Room

judith hellerstein:Hi Murray

Terri Agnew:@Roosevelt, we are unable to hear you, please check your mic

Murray McKercher:hello Judith

Roosevelt:OK, something is wrong my end. Can't seem to fix it.

Terri Agnew:@Roosevelt, I sent you a private chat

Murray McKercher:I am OK

Roosevelt:I was referring to programmes that would allow us in the Caribbean to form user groups in each of the islands in the Caribbean. At pesent we only have four out of 15 countries participating in LACRALO.

Murray McKercher:Is there a report on the activities of the Global stakeholder engagement group? Metrics?

Roosevelt:This makes it one-sided for LACRALO because while the LA groups are many, the Caribbean nations have been stagnant, not being able to add anymore countries to LACRALO. This has led to a drowning out of the Caribbean. For example, we are never able to muster sufficient votes to carry our decisions, even with some support from LA.

judith hellerstein:@roosevelt-sounds like a good idea

Roosevelt:Caribbean has never been able to hold the position of chair of LACRALO.

Roosevelt:the idea would be to come up with a strategy for forming groups in the other islands.

Glenn McKnight:NARALO  outreach has  brought in 9 new  als  and  our  outreach is to underserved areas.  ie. Disables,  Native groups and  areas  not represented ie.  America  Samoa  etc

Glenn McKnight:Each region  needs to have it's own  targets and underserved areas

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:that means under CROPP that the RT should prioritize  event support  in the C region

Roosevelt:Yes, the stakeholders from the Caribbean are missing.

judith hellerstein:+1 Glenn

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:GSE does have extensive reporting and metrics for all work done, but. each /most  are also reviewing a needs or gap analu

Roosevelt:I would suggest support for at least one workshop in every island that would lead to the formation of at least one ALS in every island.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Ana

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:argh. analysis is the last word

Murray McKercher:agreed, not a numbers game but an "engagement" focus

Maureen Hilyard:@Glenn. we have the same issue of ALSes in the Pacific. We have been fortunate to be able to get 3 new Board members of PICISOC from countries currently without ALSes tbut which have ICT organisations who are now interested in becoming ALSes. They will also have on the ground support of new Board members who will be exposed to more information about ICANN as part of their involvement on the PICISOC Board.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:@roosevelt that sounds like a staged plan for CROPP work

Roosevelt:OK, just that when I look at CROPP, I see travel only.

Heidi Ullrich:@Dev, could you please repeeat the AI?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:can we add @Maureen into that matrix. page ST

Maureen Hilyard:Thank you Cheryl

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I will also own reaching out to GSE via staff tomanswervthose other questions

Siranush Vardanyan:CROPP is travel, but this is us who should put content on that travel, and one of the outcomes of AP region of using CROPP sucessfully, was the one which Maureen has mentioned, PacINET

Siranush Vardanyan:and outreach opportunities in small islands

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes that will work across Regions

Roosevelt:How do you get funds for venues and associated costs from CROPP.

Roosevelt:??

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:undertaking an outreach activity in each is

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:and without an ALS is a perfect staged plan for CROPP @roosevelt as it funds travel and Accomm for 2 nights 3 days

Maureen Hilyard:@Cheryl. I agree

Roosevelt:@Cheryl, That is not enough.

Maureen Hilyard:What other public campaigns that are promoting the interent are happening at the moment?

Roosevelt:we can find people on the ground in some of the islands but they need support to pull together users.

judith hellerstein:CROPP this year is also funding registration costs

judith hellerstein:@roosevelt you could put int a budget request for a program

Roosevelt:@Judith, what is the process? Who would you send the request to?

judith hellerstein:@roosevelt, i think it was also funding some program costs as well, like a table at an event

judith hellerstein:For CROPP or for a budget request

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:CROPP: https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=43982055

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:its flakey language

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: and covers a gambit of non ICANN activities. so we need to have an ICANN specific message for such a campaign

Roosevelt:I am afraid that I don't understand promotion of the use of the internet as an outreach item? Is that really an outreach element within the framework of ICANN?

judith hellerstein:Gunella was the asssitant chair

Heidi Ullrich:TG 3 : https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/ATLAS+II+Thematic+Group+on+the+Global+Internet%3A+The+User+Perspective

Murray McKercher:I was thinking that we want use the internet as a tool to provide education information etc about ICANN issues ?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:all nice stuff. but for us an ICANN MESSAGE can be developed regardless of meaning to achieve this recommeoutcome IMO

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:kinda. what GSE and Commas do @Murray

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:argh. auto correct Commas.  is COMMs

Heidi Ullrich:The ALAC and Regional Chairs are meeting with all the GSE Vice Presidents on the Sunday in LA

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:perfect opportunity @heidi

Murray McKercher:Moving ahead to item 38, I noted that at ICANN50 in London there was an effort to deal with acroyms with a "Quizlet" app downloadable to your smartphone as a reference tool for newcomers who are trying to engage with our acronym laden ecosystem visit quizlet.com/ICANNLangs

Heidi Ullrich:These are the questions being asked to the GSE at the moment: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Los+Angeles+Global+Stakeholder+Engagement+Questions+Workspace

Heidi Ullrich:Would this group like to add a question for the Vice Presidents?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes. I believe so @heidi

Maureen Hilyard:@Heidi, I agree that this also needs to involve VPS so that any campaigns also meet VP objectives for their regions

Murray McKercher:@Maureen +1

Roosevelt:Is ICANN using local mainstream media for its public campaigns?

Murray McKercher:@Roosevelt, in my experience the answer is No, however, staff may have a more complete answer

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Meeting with Global Stakeholder Engagement in Los Angeles workspace: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Los+Angeles+Global+Stakeholder+Engagement+Questions+Workspace

Heidi Ullrich:@Cheryl , good point about it taking time. Perhaps ask them for an update at ICANN 52...

Heidi Ullrich:Great suggestion, Olivier! ;)

Heidi Ullrich:"With reference to the ATLAS Declaration Rec 21, how can ALAC and At-Large work effectively with GSE and Communcations to engage with ICANN's current plans for communications and outreach?"

judith hellerstein:@roosevelt- here is the correct cropp link. that link dev sent was for last year. here is fy 15 link-https://community.icann.org/display/croppfy15/LACRALO+Drafts

judith hellerstein:this year registration fees are covered

Heidi Ullrich:Is this question ok? "With reference to the ATLAS Declaration Rec 21, how can ALAC and At-Large work effectively with GSE and Communcations to engage with ICANN's current plans for communications and outreach to raise awareness and extend education programmes across underrepresented regions?"

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:So here's the question as I have recorded it: With reference to recommendation 21 of the ATLAS II declaration drafted in London how can ICANN & At-Large effectively work with GSE & ICANN Comms to engage & implement an ICANN specific program that meets this proposal?

Roosevelt:@Judith, this is all about travel. We need support other than travel. We can find people on the ground but we need to host workshops in each island.

judith hellerstein:I think you need t submit a budget request for this and this is only done once a year

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:well done Heidi!!!

Glenn McKnight:Heidi  where is your laugh

Glenn McKnight:Good  job  with one  ear

Roosevelt:One other problem about outreach. Very little in known about ICANN in the Caribbean islands outside the ones that participate. Even our government called me to find out how they could be part of ICANN 50. They are not even members of the GAC.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:aren't we keeping 12?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:LOL

Glenn McKnight:@Roosevelt  this  is  equally true in  'Indian country'  Native Americans/Canadians  too

Glenn McKnight:Just  a  reminder  I have two  AOB  very short

Heidi Ullrich:so to confirm:

Terri Agnew:At-Large Community Regional Outreach Pilot Program Review Team (CROPP RT)  : https://community.icann.org/x/5xyfAg

Heidi Ullrich:12: With reference to the ATLAS Declaration Rec 12, how can ALAC and At-Large work effectively with GSE and Communcations to engage with ICANN's current plans for communications and outreach to raise awareness and extend education programmes across underrepresented regions?

Heidi Ullrich:21: "With reference to recommendation 21 of the ATLAS II declaration drafted in London how can ICANN & At-Large effectively work with GSE & ICANN Comms to engage & implement an ICANN specific program that meets this proposal?"

Roosevelt:@Glenn, don't you think ICANN has a duty to correct this? Travel alone cannot do it?

Glenn McKnight:Just before  the  NARALO Showcase/Outreach

Glenn McKnight:@roosevelt  if  ICANN is outreaching to the multistakeholders  its  critical that  each community  has  a  Outreach strategy including   those that are marginalized

Glenn McKnight:I recommend  Murray

judith hellerstein:Yay!!

Glenn McKnight:YEs

Siranush Vardanyan:+1 Dev

Glenn McKnight:What about Murray?

Maureen Hilyard:Oh yes.. I hope Murray's OK with this :)

Murray McKercher:Yes. Thank you all, your support is appreciated

judith hellerstein:he has put up a check mark

Heidi Ullrich:Congratulations, Murray!

Siranush Vardanyan:Glenn, can help with that in the booth

Murray McKercher:@Thank You Heidi

judith hellerstein:bye

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:FYI the Outreach questions to GSE Team in LA are already posted there.

Murray McKercher:Thank you all

Siranush Vardanyan:Thanks, Dev and bye all

Heidi Ullrich:Thanks, All

Ron Sherwood:Thank you everyone... Bye for now

• No labels