AGAT Teleconference

Meeting Number: AGAT/0211/1

Date: Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Time: 12:00 - 13:00 UTC . (For the time in various timezones click here)

Adobe Connect Chatroom: http://icann.adobeconnect.com/agat2011/

How can I participate in this meeting?

Who is on the dial out list for this meeting

Participants: Eric Brunner-Williams, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Evan Leibovitch, Jean-Jacques Subrenat, Kathy Kleiman

Apologies: Cintra Sooknanan, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Avri Doria

Staff: Matthias Langenegger

Summary Minutes: AGAT 23.02.11 Summary Minutes

Action Items: AGAT 23.02.11 Action Items

Chat: AGAT 23.02.11 Chat

Recording: English

Transcript: AGAT 23.02.11 Transcript

Agenda: 23 February 2011

1.  Roll call – 2 min

2. Introduction of the aims and objectives of the WG and Review of Areas of Focus- (10 mins) - Evan 

For Reference: AGAT WG Workspace

Applicant Guidebook areas of focus for AGAT WG: 

• Overhaul, requirement of 100% transparency or total elimination of the Independent Objector
  • Replacement of the Dispute Resolution Service Provider with an expert panel, and replacement of a costly adversarial adjudicated system with one more objective and streamlined
  • Explicit Board affirmation of applications which are recommended (by the above experts) to be rejected because of obscenity
  • Use of ALAC and GAC, possibly as a replacement for the Independent Objector, as a filter for obscenity-based objections
  • Reducing trademark "bullying" through modification of the time and language requirements of the URS mechanism
  • Possible explicit categorisation of applications, to denote those which meet a criteria of community and financial need, especially from developing economies
  • Provisions (reduced costs and/or streamlined processes) for applicants meeting the above criteria

3. Determine tasks, deadlines, and assignments - (30 mins) - Evan

4. Next Steps - (10 mins) - Evan

5. Any other Business - (5 mins) - Evan

• No labels

2 Comments

1. Re item 3 of the Agenda please note I find myself now in a personally challenging and very time demanding  few weeks (which I expect to be altered  before I leave for the SFO Meeting) and  whilst I will attend and of course do what I can on list and in meetings held on this group I will be severely  limited in what I can undertake further than making editorial comments  to work drafted  by others... Please accept my sincere apologies and regrets in advance.  CLO

2. Hi, unfortunately unable to to join the call but got a few points to think about.

1. Replacement of the Dispute Resolution Service Provider with an expert panel

Fully agree. But does it only cover MOPO DRS or all the categories, including trademark measures. Since UDRP, disputes involving trademarks have always been subject to DRS. It would be new to deviate from that direction in new gTLD process.

2.Reducing trademark "bullying" through modification of the time and language requirements of the URS mechanism

Trademark Bullying is a serious concerns but not limits to URS. In the PD-DRP proceeding, a registry can be bullied as well. And any applicant for a new gTLD string can be "deterred" by clearing house notice.