IMPORTANT: The process for posting nominations is as follows:
1) Nominations, including self-nominations must be made directly to their RALO’s mailing list;
2) Nominations must be posted to the or by sending a note to At-Large staff.
3) a brief statement explaining why they believe they are a suitable candidate and must also complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).
AFRALO Selection Timetable for 2023*
17 April 2023 - Announcement of call for nominations and Nominee's Statement.
17 April – 28 April 2023 - Nomination period (nominations accepted for 10 working days).
5 May 2022 - Deadline for nomination acceptances
9 May 2023 - 12 May 2023- Calls with the candidates if desired by the RALOs. (PLEASE NOTE: APRALO Candidates call on 17 May 2022)
12 May - 19 May 2023 - Elections (If required, elections will begin no later than one week after the deadline for nomination acceptances and end no later than two weeks after that deadline).
2023 AGM [ ICANN78] - Newly elected ALAC Members and RALOs Leaders shall be seated at the end of the 2023 AGM following the close of the Board Meeting on 26 October 2023.
.* NOTES ON NOMINATIONS
- All nominees are expected to submit a brief statement explaining why they believe they are a suitable candidate and must also complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).
- No one who is currently serving on the Nominating Committee may be nominated for the ALAC. See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en#VII-8
|Position||Role Previously Held By|
|Date Accepted||Statement of Interest||Results||Term to Serve|
|ALAC Member (RALO Selected)|
Eligible for re-appointment)
|Aziz Hilali||Fatimata Seye Sylla|
|Aziz Hilali appointed by acclamation.||AGM2023-AGM2025|
|Raymond Selorm Mamattah||Abdulkarim Oloyede|
|ALAC Member (NomCom Selected)|
(Eligible for re-appointment by the NomCom)
(NOT eligible for re-appointment)
|Hadia El Miniawi||Sarah Kiden|
|Hadia El Miniawi by election.||AGM2023-AGM2025|
|Aziz Hilali||Abdulkarim Oloyede|
|Raymond Selorm Mamattah||Frank Anati|
|Pastor Peters Osawaru Omoragbon||Self-nomination|
Withdrawn 11 May 2023
|AFRALO Vice Chair|
(NOT eligible for re-appointment)
|Bram Fudzulani||Sarah Kiden|
|Bram Fudzulani appointed by acclamation.||AGM2023-AGM2025|
|ALAC Delegate to the NomCom|
(NOT eligible for re-appointment)
|Seun Ojedeji||Sarah Kiden|
|Seun Ojedeji selected by election as the AFRALO recommended ALAC Delegate to the NomCom from the African region. The ALAC will make the final appointment.||AGM2023-AGM2024|
|Dave Kissoondoyal||Fanny Salyou|
* NOTES ON NOMINATIONS
* The officers of AFRALO are: a Chairperson, a Vice Chairperson and a Secretariat
6.5 No one of the officer positions mentioned above can be held by the same person for more than 2 consecutive terms of office. AFRALO rules: AFRALO MOU and Organising Documents
ICANN- AFRALO MOU:
3.5 Subject to the ICANN By-Law's provisions relating to the structures and make up of the At-Large Advisory Committee, the seat or seats designated for African representatives shall be selected by the African RALO. Those selected may not be based in, or be citizens of, the same country and they must be members of different At-Large Structures.
*No one who is currently serving on the Nominating Committee may be nominated for the ALAC. See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en#VII-8
**ADDITIONAL NOTES FOR NOMINATIONS FOR THE ALAC DELEGATE TO THE NOMCOM:
The ICANN Bylaws require that the ALAC, in consultation with the RALOs, appoints five voting members of the NomCom, one per ICANN region. Voting members of the NomCom are appointed for a one year term, starting at the close of the 2023 Annual General Meeting and ending at the 2024 Annual General Meeting, and may be re-appointed for a further term of one year subject to the requirement under the.
- The ALAC shall, after consultation with each RALO, annually appoint five voting delegates (no two of whom shall be citizens of countries in the same Geographic Region, as defined according to Section 5 of Article VI to the Nominating Committee.
VII-3.1 Each voting delegate shall serve a one-year term. A delegate may serve at most two successive one-year terms, after which at least two years must elapse before the individual is eligible to serve another term.
Voting delegate to the NomCom may not serve more than two consecutive terms.
IMPORTANT: Criteria for NomCom Delegates
Specific criteria and requirements regarding the NomCom composition and NomCom delegates are outlined in the ICANN Bylaws in Article 8.
Please read the Job Description for NomCom Delegates. Additionally, please note the following as you select and appoint your delegate to the 2024 NomCom:
- Ineligibility for Service – Current or future ICANN employees or paid ICANN consultants (including Ombudsman) are excluded from consideration for eligibility as described in Article 8, Section 8.9 of ICANN’s Bylaws.
- The ICANN community is diverse and the composition of the NomCom should reflect this in order to fulfill its mission.
- NomCom delegates should have a high-level network of contacts essential to candidate recruitment.
- The delegate should be able to join monthly teleconferences. Note that the NomCom's workload will increase significantly during the candidate assessment process. Conference calls are held more frequently during this time as well (typically weekly and the duration of the calls may last up to three hours).
- All NomCom delegates should have the ability to travel to and participate in ICANN Public meetings and NomCom meetings when requested (travel and hotel accommodations will be provided for all approved meetings). If travel is restricted, then NomCom delegates will meet virtually.
IMPORTANT: RALOs may recommend one or more candidates to the ALAC. The appointment if NomCom delegates is carried out by the ALAC. Therefore, RALO recommendations are not binding.
Selection Schedule for 2024 ALAC Selectees from the NomCom - TBD by the NomCom (see: 2024 NomCom webpage)
See AFRALO Operating Principles for relevant rules on AFRALO positions.
AFRALO Bylaw Rules for Regional Officers
According to Part III, Article 6 of the AFRALO Operating Principles, the responsibilities and terms of the AFRALO Officers are:
The officers of AFRALO are: a Chairperson, a Vice Chairperson and a Secretariat.
6.1. The Chairperson shall be elected by the Members of AFRALO. He or she shall act as Chairperson at all AFRALO Meetings, coordinate the AFRALO activities and represent the AFRALO in its dealings with outside entities.
6.2. The vice-chairperson shall be elected by the Members of AFRALO. He or she shall assist the Chair and replace him/her where he/she is unavailable.
6.3. The Secretariat shall be elected by the Members of AFRALO. He or she shall deal with all questions concerning the administration of the Organization. He or she shall particularly prepare the AFRALO meetings agenda in close collaboration with the Chairperson and deal with application for membership. He or she shall also manage actively AFRALO mailing list(s), and disseminate AFRALO and "ICANN related news, requests for comments on any policy development issues" to AFRALO members through the mailing list(s) in a timely manner.
6.4 Each AFRALO officer shall serve a term of two years and may be re-elected only once. For the first election of the AFRALO secretary, the term will be for only one year to permit an overlap of one year between the term of the Chair and Vice Chair, and the term of the secretary.
6.5. All the officers of AFRALO should work close with ICANN staff to achieve AFRALO objectives.
6.6 The election of the Chairperson, the Vice Chairperson, and the Secretariat of AFRALO shall be held simultaneously to the process of election of the AFRALO Representatives on the ALAC.
6.7 The selection process of AFRALO representatives to ALAC is as provided in the Memorandum of Understanding between AFRALO and ICANN and as provided by the Bylaws of ICANN.
6.8 The duties of the Officers of the AFRALO shall be as determined by the Members as they may decide from time to time by the majority of a quorum. 6.9 If a vacancy occurs amongst those positions referenced in this Part III a replacement shall be elected to fill the remainder of the term by a simple majority of a quorum of the Members of AFRALO.