IMPORTANT: The following shall be the process for posting and accepting nominations for APRALO positions:
- Nominations, including self-nominations, must be made directly to the email@example.com list. Any current subscriber to this list can make nominations.
- Nominators must also post the nomination at the 2021 ALAC and RALO Elections, Selections and Appointments Wiki Workspace directly, or by sending a mail to At-Large staff;
- A nominee who opts to accept his/her nomination must do so by replying directly to the said mailing list, with a copy to At-Large staff, and must complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).
- Apart from the nomination and the acceptance, additional messages to the said mailing list expressing support for any candidate are not required; and
- For accepted nominations, candidates should also share a brief expression of interest to the said mailing list with a copy to At-Large staff.
APRALO Selection Timetable for 2021*:
10 May 2021 - Announcement of call for nominations and Nominee's Statement.*
10 May – 21 May 2021 - Nomination period.
28 May 2021 - Deadline for nomination acceptances
31 May 2021 - 4 June 2021- Calls with the candidates if desired by the RALOs.
7 June - 11 June 2021 - Elections (If required, elections will begin no later than one week after the deadline for nomination acceptances and end no later than two weeks after that deadline).
2021 AGM [ ICANN72] - Newly elected ALAC Members and RALOs Leaders shall be seated at the end of the 2021 AGM following the close of the Board Meeting on 28 October 2021.
|Position||Role Previously Held By|
|Date Accepted||Statement of Interest||Results||Term to Serve|
|ALAC Member (RALO)|
(Eligible for re-appointment)
|Maureen Hilyard||Holly Raiche|
|Maureen Hilyard by acclamation.||AGM2021-AGM2023|
ALAC Member (NomCom Selected)
(Eligible for re-appointment)
|Lianna Galstyan||Ali AlMeshal|
|Lianna Galstyan by acclamation.||AGM2021-AGM2023|
|ALAC Delegate to the NomCom***|
(NOT eligible for re-appointment)
|Aris Ignacio||Nadira AlAraj|
|Ali AlMeshal - name will be sent to the ALAC for appointment consideration||AGM2021-AGM2022|
|Ali AlMeshal||Amir Qayyum|
* NOTES ON NOMINATIONS
No one who is currently serving on the Nominating Committee may be nominated for the ALAC. See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en#VII-8
**The APRALO Secretariat position is a discretionary appointment and, therefore, is not part of the annual selection process.
***ADDITIONAL NOTES FOR NOMINATIONS FOR THE ALAC DELEGATE TO THE NOMCOM:
The ICANN Bylaws require that the ALAC, in consultation with the RALOs, appoints five voting members of the NomCom, one per ICANN region. Voting members of the NomCom are appointed for a one year term, starting at the close of the 2019 Annual General Meeting and ending at the 2020 Annual General Meeting, and may be re-appointed for a further term of one year subject to the requirement under the.
- The ALAC shall, after consultation with each RALO, annually appoint five voting delegates (no two of whom shall be citizens of countries in the same Geographic Region, as defined according to Section 5 of Article VI to the Nominating Committee.
VII-3.1 Each voting delegate shall serve a one-year term. A delegate may serve at most two successive one-year terms, after which at least two years must elapse before the individual is eligible to serve another term.
Voting delegate to the NomCom may not serve more than two consecutive terms.
IMPORTANT: Criteria for NomCom Delegates
The NomCom is responsible for selecting members of the ICANN Board, ALAC, ccNSO and GNSO. This is a very important function and all candidates should meet important criteria.
- Familiarity with the ICANN groups to which the NomCom appoints (Board, ALAC, GNSO, ccNSO).
- Ability to judge people (such as when interviewing and hiring).
- Comfortable and preferably fluent with English (listening, reading, speaking).
- Good on-line skills such as on Google & Social media
- Time Commitment - Must be willing to devote substantial time under tight deadlines (March-June). May involve travel to up to 4 meetings.
- Ability work in a group environment, standing up for what you believe in a discussion with other "strong" people, but at the same time, must be a good listener and be willing to change your mind if someone else has a good argument. Diplomacy is important.
RALOs may recommend one or more candidates to the ALAC. The appointment if NomCom delegates is carried out by the ALAC. Therefore, RALO recommendations are not binding.