NARALO Monthly Teleconference 

Date: Monday, 13 January 2014

Time: 20:00 UTC (for the time in various timezones click here)

How can I participate in this meeting? 1(800)550-6865, Teleconference ID: 1638

Adobe Connect Link:

(If you have never attended a Connect Pro meeting before: Test your connection and get a quick overview)


Garth Bruen, Glenn McKnight, Darlene Thompson, Alan Greenberg,

Gordon Chillcott,Garth Graham, Louis Houle, Allan Skuce, Eduardo Diaz, Evan Leibovitch, Tom Lowenhaupt, Kerry Brown, Seth Reiss, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Avri Doria, Konstantin Kalaitizidis (ISOC SFO)

Apologies: Silvia Vivanco, Heidi Ullrich, Joly McFie

Staff:  Gisella Gruber, Matt Ashtiani, Joe Catapano,

Call management: Gisella Gruber

Summary Minutes:    Summary Minutes 13 January 2014

Action Items: Action Items 13 January 2014

Transcript: EN  

Chat: AC Chat transcript 13 January 2014    

Recording: EN   


1. Welcome and Roll call - Staff (2 min)

2. Review of Action Items of Monthly December 2013  - Glenn McKnight  (2 min) 

2.1. Staff - Please move "Miscellaneous" to the bottom of the directory tree

2.2: Staff - Please reorganize the "NARALO Monthly Report" listings in descending chronological order so most-recent year (2014) is first

2.3. Staff - Is it possible to create and aliases to ease officer transitions?

2.4  Staff - Please advise of the status of Buenos Aires Reciprocity Reimbursements

2.5. Nathalie Peregrine (Staff) The ALS RALO database is to show the date of updating, please advise of status

2.6. Eduardo Diaz to supply ATLAS Needs for Volunteers (See 3.2.1)

2.7. ALAC Chair - Please advise on the status of the NARALO Chair request to publicly notify ICANN Compliance of issues noted in 8.1.1. and the December Monthly Report

2.8. Nathalie Peregrine (Staff) to notify RALO leaders and the ALAC members when the RALO ALS database is updated.

2.9. Secretary: Please ensure that HETS members are added to the NARALO and At-Large Skype Chats 

2.10. Staff: Please update on the Native Scholarship/fellowship program  - Formal Documentation Requested

2.11. Staff: Please advise on the staff Due Diligence status of new ALS application: Capital Area Globetrotters

2.12. Heidi Ullrich (Staff) to request information from Christopher Mondini on disabled community  access activities. Completed, (see 4.1.)

2.13. Garth Bruen (Chair) to let Sandra Hofferichter and other organizers of the ICANN Academy know of the need for training for RALO Leaders and Secretariats. - Completed (see 5.6). 

2.14. Heidi Ullrich (Staff) to look for a Digital certificate of Gareth Shearman - Complete (see 5.7.)

2.15. METRICS WG Feedback: Garth Bruen to  request feedback from all the NARALO ALSes. - Integrated in ongoing discussions (see 5.5)

2.16. Staff - Please create a "2014 Teleconference" Directory in the WIKI - Complete

2.17. All - Please Note that Daylight Savings Time ended 2 November 2013 but will resume 9 March 2014 - Regardless, this call will occur at 3PM ET/12PM PT

2.18. All - Please note that "New gTLDs" has been removed as a standard item and moved under "ICANN Functions"

2.19. All - Please note that the agenda has been renumbered since the last session

2.20. All - Please note December 2013 NARALO Report

3. Meetings & Events (5 Minutes)

3.1. Singapore 23-27 March

3.1.1. NARALO Meeting in Singapore: What time? What topics?

3.1.2. At-Large Working Space

3.1.3. Sponsored travelers need to complete paperwork by Wednesday

3.2. London ATLAS II 22 - 26 June 2014

3.2.1. ATLAS II Needs list for volunteers. (Eduardo Diaz)

3.2.2. ATLAS II Public Relations Subgroup

3.2.3. London Fellowship

3.3. Los Angeles 12-16 October 2014

3.4. CES (past week)

3.5. RSA Conference (San Francisco 24-28 February)

3.6. Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance (Sao Paulo, 23-24 April) - Following along from the Montevideo Statement

3.7. Colorado Internet Society,   The Future of the Internet 2014: Defining Software Defined Networks 22 August 2014   

3.8. Sixth South School on Internet Governance Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, 28 April to May 02, 2014 (SSIG 2014) - Fellowship Opportunity

3.9. ADA Symposium (Denver 15-18 June)

3.10. NTEN (Washington 13-15 March)

3.11. ARIN (Chicago 13-16 April)

3.12. Forward any other meeting notices to Chair or Secretary!

4. Review of Communication/Outreach Strategy

4.1. Efforts to engage/outreach Disabled Communities

4.1.1. Ongoing Cross-RALO engagement and with Chris Mondini

4.1.2. Cooperating with APRALO to introduce the topic in Singapore

4.1.3. Plan to have a presentation on blind use of the Internet in London (Keynote)

4.1.4. Plan to have Ken Harrenstein present in Los Angeles (Keynote)

4.2. Automation of the ALS Application

4.3. CROPP appointees and work

4.4.  Calendar of Outreach initiatives

5. Our Community (10 Minutes)

5.1. Ongoing Engagement with Non-Commercial Stakeholders Group (NCSG)

5.2.   Developing a comprehensive transition plan for oncoming officers:

5.2.1. Database of ALS  - staff

5.2.2. Names of people on working groups - staff

5.2.3. Form letters - Darlene, if any

5.2.4. Timelines for elections - to coordinate with staff

5.2.5. Policies and procedures - see NARALO by laws

5.2.6. In General this must be formalized Cross-RALO so At-Large has efficiency - This has been proposed to include in the Academy.

5.4. On TOR and Alternate DNS

5.4.1. NARALO Chair has called upon ALAC and SSAC to have a joint session in Singapore to present and discuss Internet structures which are beyond ICANN control

5.5. Synchronizing Calls to Monthly Reports

5.5.1. Please review the new format of the Monthly Reports which are now structured to mirror the Call Agenda. This is intended to streamline the way we do our work and account for our time.

5.5.2. How would YOU make our efforts more Metric-friendly? View the ALAC Metrics Wiki Space

5.6. Reaching out to Consumer Web Watch either or re-engagement or de-certification

5.7. Digital version of Gareth Shearman certificate from ICANN received and posted

5.8. Alberta Community Association is defunct, therefore Garth Bruen will start the internal process to de-certify.

5.9.  Decision of the .MOBI appointees: The ALAC and ALT will be reviewing the three candidates for the .MOBI liaison position shortly. They have asked that the candidates send staff relevant information on their qualifications for this position.See posted information on the 2013 ALT and Liaison Selection Workspace.

5.10. Messages from Chris Grundemann at ISOC CO

5.10.1. Driving into the Future

5.10.2. Defining Software Defined Networks - See 3.7 

5.11. Kicking off NARALO Spotlights for 2014

5.11.1. Chair will request HETS to prepare a presentation for the next call

5.11.2. Chair will request that Secretary create and alphabetical schedule for Spotlights for the coming year


6. Committee/Working Group Activity - for All WG/Committee Reports

6.1.NONCOM Report Submitted by Louis H. (NomCom December Report)

6.1.1. Suggest a Candidate

6.2. Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT2) Report

6.2.1. ATRT2 Comments

6.3. Future Challenges Working Group

6.4. CROPP Reports

6.5. At-Large Finance and Budget Subcommittee

6.6. Privacy and Proxy services Accreditation Issues WG

7.  At-Large Advisory Committee "ALAC" Issues (Olivier, Evan, Eduardo, Alan - 10 Minutes)

7.1 Policy Advice Development Page

7.2. IRTP D  -  Monday 13th January

7.3. SCI - Tuesday 14th January

7.4. Translation and Transliteration Contact info PDP WG Thursday 16th January

7.5. ALT Mid-Monthly Thursday 16th January

7.6. Policy and Implementation Principle sub team call (90mins) Thursday 16th January


8. ICANN Functions (5 Minutes) (Communication Strategy III.5)

8.1 Compliance Tracking

8.1.1. The Chair has made a formal request of ALAC to forward a list of concerns highlighted in a December Washington Post article. The full extent of the request is posted within the December NARALO Monthly Report

8.1.2. Domain Hijacking/Unauthorized Transfers

8.2 Language and Translation

8.2.1: An abstract of the Naralo Monthly Meeting that we could post on our Web site (or RSS it), including some of the documents produced by ICANN, that we discuss and that would be worth translating to attract attention toward NARALO.

8.2.2: Translate RAA and legal documents related to the RAA into French and Spanish

8.2.3: Translations of Registrar/Registry documents in local languages(where the company operates) to avoid consumer disputes.

8.2.4: Staff will provide for future Election instructions en Français and en Espanol

8.3 Travel

8.3.1 All travel-sponsor related issues should be reported or copied to the Chair.

8.3.2 Travel Support Guidelines

8.3.3. Reciprocity Refund for BA

8.3.4. The Best (and Worst) Airlines

8.4. New gTLDs

8.4.1. Controlled interruption as a means to prevent name collisions (Alan)

8.4.2. Letter from Chair on reserving At-Large related strings being drafted

8.5. On tracking travel-related reimbursement, and other staff actions, we need a better tracking system with full-disclosure. Conversations via Skype, etc, can't be tracked.

9. Any Other Business "AOB" (2 Minutes)

9.1. Security for Mobile Devices - "Lookout", not a product endorsement, just for discussion

9.2. "Friendly" mobile tracking devices for kids

9.3. NSA Stores collected data in Canada?

9.4. Online Security Pioneer Predicts Grim Future

9.5. Turkey clamps down on internet

10. Action Items

10.1 Previously Closed Action Items

2.2. Maureen Hilyard  to send a link to Garth with the questions on Metrics. Garth will then request feedback from all the NARALO ALSes. - completed

2.3. Garth Bruen  to provide the name of the person who will receive the certificate for Gareth Shearman from the Board.- completed. - completed Darlene received certificate

2.4. Puerto Rico ALSes was approved – Regional Advice was reached : Evan, Alan, Glenn, Darlene, Gordon, Garth, Jolie, Thomas, Eduardo voted in favor.-completed

2.5. Garth Bruen  to send an email to staff confirming the Regional Advice. Staff to continue with the accreditation process.- completed


  • No labels