
GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Garth. We will start the recording now. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, everyone. First of all, Happy New Year to everyone.

On today's NARALO monthly call on Monday, 13 January 2014 at 20:00 UTC we have Garth Bruen, Glenn McKnight, Darlene Thompson, Alan Greenberg, Gordon Chillcott, Garth Graham, Louis Houle, Allan Skuce, and Eduardo Diaz. From staff, we have Matt Ashtiani, Joe Catapano who worked with Chris Mondini, and myself, Gisella Gruber. I have apologies noted from Silvia Vivanco.

Also, if I could please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you. Over to you, Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you, Gisella. Do we know who just joined the call?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Mr. Kalaitizidis, San Francisco ISOC.

GARTH BRUEN: Oh, welcome. Thank you very much. Okay. Garth Bruen, Chair of NARALO, welcoming everybody and turning the call over to secretary Glenn McKnight to review the action items. Thank you, Glenn.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Garth. I'll run through the action items quickly.

2.1 Staff – Please move miscellaneous to the bottom of the directory tree.

2.2 Staff – Please recognize the NARALO monthly report listings in descending chronological order. On the most recent year, 2014, is first.

2.3 Staff – Is it possible to create chair@naralo.org and secretary@naralo.org as aliases to ease officer transitions?

2.4 Staff – Please advise of the status of the Buenos Aires reciprocity reimbursements.

2.5 – This is for Nathalie Peregrine of staff. The ALS RALO database is to show the data of updating. Please advise on the status.

2.6 – Eduardo to supply ATLAS needs for volunteers. (See item 3.2.1.)

2.7 – ALAC chair, please advise on the status of the NARALO chair request to publically notify ICANN compliance on issues noted in 8.1.1 and the December monthly report.

2.8 – Again, to Nathalie, to notify RALO leaders and the ALAC members when the RALO ALS database is updated.

2.9 – Secretary, please ensure that HETS members are added to the NARALO and At-Large Skype chats.

2.10 Staff – Please update on the Native scholarship/fellowship program. The formal documentation has been requested.

2.11 Staff – Please advise on the staff due diligence status of new ALS application: the Capital Area Globetrotters.

2.12 – Heidi to request information form Chris Mondini on the disabled community access activities. Comes out as completed at 4.1.

2.13 – To Garth to let Sandra and other organizers of the ICANN Academy know the need for training for RALO leaders and secretariat. Completed. (See item 5.6.)

2.14 – To Heidi to look for the digital certificate of Garth Sherman. Complete. (See item 5.7.)

2.15 – Metrics Working Group feedback by Garth to request feedback from all the NARALO ALSes. Integration into ongoing discussion.

2.16 Staff – Please create a 214 teleconference directory in the wiki. Complete.

2.17 – All – Please note that the Daylight Savings Time ended November 2 and will resume on March 9. Regardless, this call will occur at 3:00 Eastern Standard Time/12:00 Pacific Time.

2.18 – To all – Please note that the new gTLD has been removed as a standard item and moved under the ICANN function. Next,

2.19 – All – Note that the agenda has been renumbered since the last session. And last item,

2.20 – All – Please note December 2013 NARALO Report. That is all.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you, Glenn. Before we move on to the next item, I want to give staff an opportunity to respond to any of the action items that are open.

MATT ASHTIANI: Sorry, I was stuck on mute.

GARTH BRUEN: Go ahead, Matt.

MATT ASHTIANI: Some open action items are still in progress. I know regarding the e-mail address, Silvia is has been working with IT. I don't have an update for you right now, but it's still in progress. Nathalie and the database – that's still in progress. So everything is being worked on right now. We still have – it's just not completed yet.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. In terms of the travel-related item, which was the reciprocity, is there any update on that.

MATT ASHTIANI: I know that Heidi's been working with Constituency Travel, but she and Silvia are actually at a training today. So I'm sure she has an update. I just don't have it for you right now.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you. We will move it to the agenda of the call.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Actually, Matt and Garth, I have an update.

GARTH BRUEN: Oh, hello, Evan. Please.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry, just got here from the other call, and I have in my mailbox an e-mail from Constituency Travel saying that my request is in the queue with finance, for whatever the heck that means. I read verbatim: "Dear Evan, kindly note that your reimbursement is currently in queue with our finance department to be paid." I have no idea what that means or how long it takes stuff to get out of that queue.

MATT ASHTIANI: I can actually respond to that. I means that the request has been processed, and it's basically staying in the queue database waiting to be paid, exactly as it says. So your request will be paid. They usually get through the requests within about two weeks. I can go talk to them after this call and see if there's anything we can do to expedite it, but it should be completed very soon.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Evan, did you submit a specific request, or was this something that was done automatically?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

No. What happened was, before Buenos Aires, everyone had to buy the reciprocity fee from Australia, Canada, and the U.S., had to actually have purchased that in advance of the trip. So I had done that, and right after getting my Buenos Aires paperwork, I asked if we were getting reimbursed. I was told back we would. When I went online and I did it, I captured the information, sent that to Constituency Travel, and that was acknowledged well in advance of me taking the trip.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you. So for everybody, some education who traveled to the meeting: you have to submit that directly to Constituency Travel. And I for one was not aware of that fact, but we will make a note of that.

Okay, so moving on to agenda item three: Meetings and Events. The first meeting that is coming up is the Singapore ICANN meeting on March 23-27.

As a general item to be considered, what should the NARALO agenda be? We don't have to answer that question immediately, but it's something that we should all be thinking about.

Number 3.1.2 – There's a link to the At-Large working space for Singapore.

Agenda item 3.1.3 – Most of you should have received a note that sponsored travelers need to complete their paperwork by Wednesday. Just as a general question, is this an unusual timeframe? It seems rather quick. And this can be completely rhetorical. I don't need a specific answer. Okay, moving on.

ALAN GREENBERG: Garth, they used to say they would give us a week. I don't know what happened this time.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right, we'll make a note of it, and maybe we can have an action item – this is a question for staff – an action item to find out what the standard turnaround time, the expectation is for sponsored travelers to turn in their paperwork. I mean, is it a week? Is it shorter? Is it longer? Just so we can have an expectation and people can be aware of it. Thank you.

Does anybody have any general comments about the Singapore meeting before I move on? No? I'm seeing none and hearing none.

Moving on: Agenda item 3.2 –London ATLAS II meeting, June 22-26. All the NARALO members should be aware that, if you completed the survey, one of your representatives will receive funding for this trip. I don't have any further details on that at the moment. If anybody does have any further details, feel free to put your hand up.

There is a public relations sub-group, and there's a link there. And I believe that Eduardo created this wiki space. Eduardo has his hand up. Eduardo, please?

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is a wonderful new record. I just wanted to talk about the ATLAS II in general, which includes the public relations subgroup. Basically, there

are five subgroups, and now the one that is very active, the events subgroup that Tijani is leading. He needs all the help that we can give him to get the final drafts for the agenda of the things that are going to happen in London.

The public relations group is mostly to get a strategic message of what the ATLAS II wants, you know, the message that we want to get out there. We had a meeting about this last week. It was reached by consensus four messages, which I don't know them now by memory, but you can go and look to the wiki in the ATLAS II organization committee for that meeting that happened last week and you can see these four messages there.

With respect to the volunteers, there are about three more subgroups that we have come up with, and one of them is a showcase, which I believe Glenn is going to lead and there's Wolf Ludwig, Tijani, [Beth] and other people that will be part of that committee. The idea there is to coordinate what is going to happen in that showcase. People are suggesting to change the name to celebration, diversity celebration, or something like that. The group will decide what best it will be.

There is another one that is going to be led by Fatima Cambronero from Argentina. It's going to be a mentoring program for those new ALSes that are going to be in the ATLAS at the summit. It's going to be something very similar to the fellowship where they're going to get together and see what's going to happen during the day in different meetings. And we try to meet every day and answer questions about what's going on during the ICANN meetings week so people know

where to go or at least know what's happening during the ICANN meeting week.

And I'm trying to put another one together for a newsletter. I think it's important that we keep informed. All the ALSes are going to go to the ATLAS meeting at least once a month, then some kind of information on what's going on and things to expect. There are going to be some webinars [pre] to the London meeting, mostly for capacity building and whatever issues are going to be open to discuss in ICANN.

So anybody that is interested in helping with this effort, please go to the wiki page and put your names and come forward and become part of these meetings. We need as many people as we can to help getting this event as successful as possible. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you, Eduardo. Maybe we could get a list – maybe staff has a list of these five different subcommittees that Eduardo mentioned – and we can start exploring the wikis for each to see what the volunteer needs are. If I know what the volunteer needs are, I will start doing direct outreach within the region to see if we can fill slots for different things. The more information that I have about volunteer needs, the better I can do to facilitate filling those slots. So if staff could help out with that, that would be great. Thank you so much.

Eduardo, you have your hand up. Do you have another comment?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yeah. I just put the link in the chat of the charter for the ATLAS II groups. And there you will see how this whole thing has been structured, what the groups are, and what they're supposed to do, and what the outcomes of each groups are supposed to have.

So that over there is a good place to start. And then from there, you can go to the groups that you are more interested. The survey group, which was the one that we did most of the work in 2013, they almost finished what they're supposed to do, so we are moving to the events on the other groups. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you, Eduardo. I want to acknowledge a comment made by Seth Reiss in the chat. Seth says, "There should be list of who completed the survey" – this is the ATLAST II survey – "so that ALSes can check to see if their records are the same as NARALO's."

I think this is a good idea. I believe that there is a page with the survey completion results, so maybe if staff could find that and post it within the chat and post it as an action item, that would be very helpful. Okay.

MATT ASHTIANI: Can you please repeat the AI?

GARTH BRUEN: Seth Reiss has mentioned that there should be a list of who completed the survey so that we can match that to the actual records in NARALO for their representatives. So if we can put that particular page because I

know that page has been published. I know that there is a list on the wiki of who completed the survey. So if we could highlight that as an action item, and we'll put it into the next call agenda so everybody has access to it. Is that clear enough, Matt?

MATT ASHTIANI: Perfect. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right, moving on. The last item underneath the one in ATLAS is the London fellowship, and there is a link there to the announcement which just came out recently – well maybe, okay, last week. And if people are interested in that, please read that link. Does anybody have any comments specifically about the fellowship? I saw Tom had his hand up, and then he took his hand down. Okay.

Moving on, very briefly with no particular details, just noting the Los Angeles meeting in October 2014. The next meeting was the Consumer Electronics Show. I know that we had originally planned on trying to do a regional visit to that meeting and we missed the deadline for that, but I'm just wondering if anybody was actually there who's on the call who can discuss it. No? Okay.

The next meeting is RSA Conference. Now I may be getting funding for that. I'm waiting to hear about that specifically, but I may be getting funding outside of ICANN to attend that meeting, and we'll see how that goes.

Next is 3.6, the Global Multi-Stakeholder Meeting that is a follow-up to the Montevideo Statement. This is the Future of Internet Governance, and this is in April, the 23-24. It's going to be in Sao Paolo. There's been quite a bit of activity and discussion about this. Does anybody want to discuss this upcoming meeting – have any details about it? Who is actually going to be going? I'm sure somebody is going to be going from our community. No? Okay. We'll come back to that.

Chris Grunderman set a meeting that's going to take place in Colorado via the Colorado Internet Society on the Future of the Internet: Defining Software Defined Networks in August, and it's linked there. Is Chris on the call if he wants to comment on this particular meeting? No? That's okay. We'll move on.

Making its way around the discussion is the Sixth South School on Internet Governance in Port of Spain, Trinidad, and Tobago in April, and there is a fellowship opportunity for this. Within this agenda item, the meeting itself is linked at the beginning. Where it says "fellowship opportunity," that actually brings you to the fellowship information. Darlene has her hand up. Please go ahead, Darlene.

DARLENE THOMPSON:

Yeah, I was actually kind of interested in that one. And then I read up on the fellowship opportunity, and basically they won't cover travel. They'll cover everything else once you get there – food and going to events and your registration and everything else. But once you get there, you don't have to pay for a thing. But they will not pay for the travel, so that's just one thing to keep in mind for that one.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you for the details. Also, there are some other meetings that we are considering, possibly as CROPP meetings. There's an Americans with Disability Symposium in Denver in June. Glenn, what is NTEN, the one that's taking place in Washington in March?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: The NTEN is the technology conference for not-for-profits.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you. Now just for clarification – this may have been my screw-up – is that Washington state or Washington DC?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, Washington, DC.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, I'll make that correction. And then ARIN in Chicago in April. And as always, if there are any other meetings, please forward them to me or to Glenn, and we'll make sure that they're included in the agenda.

Moving on to our agenda item four – our Communication and Outreach Strategy – there has been quite a bit of discussion about reaching out to disabled communities. There is a new cross-RALO effort that is being facilitated by Chris Mondini, and we've been working with several representatives – I believe all the RALOs are represented in this discussion – and we are forming a new agenda to have a global

outreach to the disabled community to encourage them to participate in ICANN policy meetings and become ALSes.

We're specifically cooperating with APRALO to introduce the topic in Singapore to really sort of do a good kickoff with this. Then one of the things that we've come up with for proposal is to have presentation of blind use of the Internet at the London meeting.

Personally – and I'm hoping other people will agree – I think that these particular meetings, these particular presentations, that these are keynote level things. These should really occur within the opening ceremony or within a highly visible meeting during the week and not just within the closed doors of the At-Large community.

This is really something that everybody within the ICANN community could benefit from. It's something that everybody should experience. So as far as this goes, I want to promote this as a higher-level item – something to really be bumped up to the top that everybody can benefit from.

And the same goes for the Los Angeles meeting. I made a specific request of Steve Crocker to reach out to Ken Harrenstein, who is one of the original architects of the Internet, worked on the early projects at the Stanford Research Institute and for ARPA in developing the very, very early Internet, and he himself is deaf. Many of his insights probably came from being hearing-impaired.

So these are things that I think that we need to kind of loop back to some of what the people who've really contributed to the technology and bring them back into the community and into the policy discussion.

I think that they're sort of missing from the table, and that's something that's really been driving my thoughts on how to proceed in recruiting new groups.

We also want to go back to automating the ALS application. I think that this is critical. I'm actually looking for – I took this on myself. I'm obviously busy with a lot of different things, so I'm actually looking for maybe a volunteer to kind of help facilitate this and work with staff to get this automated.

I see Glenn has his hand up, and I apologize if it's on a previous item. Go ahead, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Sorry. Yeah, it's not on this item, Garth, but it's on the previous item on accessibility. If you look in the middle of the Adobe – for those who are on Adobe – you'll see a screen capture of AChecker.ca. It's one the tools that the Accessibility Group out of U of T created a few years ago, and it checks websites in terms of compliance according to WCAG 2.0.

So you can see that, and that's just a small capture. If you go to the site and you put in ICANN.org, you can actually have a list of all the different items that the ICANN website is in error and noncompliant to accessibility. So I'm just bringing that to your attention.

GARTH BRUEN:

No. Thank you, Glenn. These are the kind of things that are very, very important in terms of access and in terms of technology, and it's exactly the type of participation that we're looking for from the disabled

community, or from any community, really. We want to know how people use the Internet and what's important to them and how the policy can be driven to benefit them and benefit everybody.

Now, Glenn, you still have your hand up. Did you have a further comment?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No. Thank you. I'll take it down.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Okay. So I'm going to keep looking for somebody to help me out with automating the ALS application.

Next item: 4.3 – CROPP appointees and work. Just before the call, Darlene, you sent a commentary on this, which maybe you could explain, and I see you have your hand up. Please, go ahead.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Yep, that's what I was going to explain. Chris Mondini has been working with Allan Skuce and I on this because since it's our first time around, we didn't know all the ins and outs and we've kind of had to have our hands held on this one. And they've been doing awesome job. Staff has been doing an awesome job helping us out and going, "No, no, you got to do this first. You go to do this." But we've been doing it.

So right now, we have applications in for the ARIN Conference and the ADA Conference. Now, remind me, how many people were going to go to the ARIN Conference? Was it one or two?

GARTH BRUEN: I don't think the question's for me.

DARLENE THOMPSON: No, it's.... Oh, there. I think Evan wants to or someone. [Perhaps it was] Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I've put my name in, but I've also put my name in for the scholarship, so I may not require the CROPP funding.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Okay. So one thing that Chris Mondini came back to me and mentioned, he said, "You understand that when there is more than one traveler to the same event, that counts as two trips under the program." So we have a total of five trips. Now let's just say that Glenn doesn't get a scholarship. So that would be one for ARIN and then two for ADA. So that would take up three of our slots because I'm just going to assume worst-case scenario here. So that would still leave us with two slots. So we still need to be thinking of using up those two slots because use them or lose them, eh? So we should be doing that.

Also, if there are two people wanting to go to one conference, such as the ADA conference for Glenn and Garth, they should each be putting in application. However, he's waiving it at this time because you were pretty clear on your submission that it would be two people. Also, as mentioned by Evan in the chat, registration fees are not covered. So for the ADA Conference, have you guys checked out registration fees? Garth and Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, and there's also, like the NTEN Conference as well as the ARIN as mentioned, there is scholarships available to cover non-travel, just like this other governance session. So Evan and I have put in our names. And I think Evan has submitted an NTEN request as well, so there are three submissions that have been done.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Okay. We haven't gotten the NTEN one yet, so – okay. Just looking back on these, wasn't NTEN, hasn't that already passed, or is that still coming up?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, that's the March one.

DARLENE THOMPSON: It's coming up. Okay. So great. So yeah, if you guys wanted to go to the NTEN one, please make sure you do submit that ASAP because, as I say, I haven't seen it. Allan, have you seen it?

ALLAN SKUCE: I haven't seen it yet.

DARLENE THOMPSON: No? So we haven't seen that yet. So so far, that at a total standstill right now and it isn't even going through yet. Please do because that is exactly the type of thing that, if the region agrees, that we could send people to.

Also, when you are putting in your applications, please make sure that you mention if you will be attending as a participant, speaker, panelist, or a combination of these three. Wherever there are opportunities to request speaking slots, I encourage you to do so. So if you will be speaking, do make sure that you mention that. Now for the ADA Conference, will either of you be speaking, or are you just going to be attending as participants?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: We are participants.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Okay, I will make that clear. You won't have to respond to my e-mail, Garth. Also, Glenn and Garth, for your trip to the ADA Conference, he asks, "Has the workshop for Glenn and Garth's trip to the ADA event been confirmed?" I don't think you need to have to confirm on a specific workshop. Do you guys? To go to the ABA event?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: When we filled out this form, none of these questions were asked. So are these new questions that have been added to the CROPP application, Darlene?

DARLENE THOMPSON: Yeah, exactly. They are right now redoing the CROPP application to include these. It's a little late, but they are redoing it. So yeah, these are an addition and, you know, that's the way it goes.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, well, I can't answer these because I'd have to go back to the ADA people. But as far as we're – I did not ask to do a workshop at ADA. I'm sure Garth hasn't either.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Yeah, so I'm assuming that once you've gotten your registration for the event, that you can go to any workshop you want to. So that's what I'm going to tell them. So the next one was also for the ADA, "Will At-Large recruitments, are there new ALSes or members thereof, be a focus? And I'm assuming that will be your focus.

GARTH BRUEN: I would say that the answer is yes in any one the these events we go to.

DARLENE THOMPSON:

Great. And he says, "It seems to me it should be a feature of all CROPP proposals," so I just want to be sure. And as Glenn just mentioned, all this, that wasn't a question that was on there. So when we are putting in CROPP proposals, make sure that we put in that recruitment is the big one. That's what we're trying to do.

And then finally, he says, "I want to make a request to note if the CROPP travelers would be willing to take some photos of their activities and write a blog-suitable paragraph or two of the outcomes. Motives would be especially compelling. This is a bit beyond the post-event evaluation requirements, but I would be grateful to receive the content to use on various ICANN communication platforms."

Personally, I would think that this would be great because then we can say, "Hey, this was so useful, and here's pictures of what we did." Now I know Glenn's going. There's going to be photos. Good for you, Glenn.

But anybody else that's going to be going to these events, please, please, please try and take photos and do a paragraph or two saying how successful it was because that might push this program forward in my mind so that we might be able to have it the following year.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. All right. Thank you. I just want to, as a suggestion or the ADA conference, be sure to reach out directly to Chris at ISOC Colorado because there are many members who are right there in Denver who might be able to attend this meeting. So I think it would be a useful experience for them, as well.

DARLENE THOMPSON: I leave that to you and Glenn, because you're the ones that are going, to get that together.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. This is a general suggestion: whenever these events take place, if there is a local ALS in the area, be sure to include them, too. Okay.

Also, linked at the bottom of this agenda item, 4.4, there's a link to the calendar of our outreach initiatives. And if you're working on one of these initiatives, please be sure to add your items there and refer to it as much as possible and encourage people to include their items there, as well.

Moving on, agenda item five – Our Community. There's been ongoing engagement with the NCSG. I haven't been directly involved in this, but I'm aware of it. I believe that there are some folks on the call who have been directly involved with this. Evan, are you prepared to comment on this at all?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry – about the NCSG meeting?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Just that there's something planned for the Friday. The normal ALAC meetings start on Sunday, and GNSO usually meets on Saturday. And so I believe there's a plan for an NCSG forum to be held on Friday.

They did a similar thing at the Royal York Hotel before the Toronto meeting, which Glenn filmed. So they've done this before. And so I've put in, as NCSG liaison to ALAC, I've put in a formal request to get funded for the extra day, but so far I haven't heard anything.

In fact, to any staff on this call, if somebody could even find out what happened to my request, if it ever got to Constituency Travel or whoever has to approve this. I haven't even received a rejection, let alone any answer.

MATT ASHTIANI: Yes, we did follow up on that.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Do you know the request? I originally made the request before the holidays.

MATT ASHTIANI: I can look for it, but I'm sure it's probably just everybody is still getting back to the swing of things.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. I'll print you a copy of the original request, just so you can catch up on it.

MATT ASHTIANI: Thank you very much.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. I see that Alan Greenberg has his hand up. I'm going to acknowledge Alan, and then Glenn has his hand up. He can come after. Please, Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. This is a question for Evan. For the NCSG event, has the NCSG participants been funded by ICANN, or are they doing that on their own dime to yesterday?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I honestly don't know.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. The case is certainly stronger if they are being funded for it. It's certainly weaker if they're not.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: My guess is, based on the Toronto one, that I believe that there's minimum resources being contributed by ICANN, but mainly they got an external sponsor.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Glenn, you have a question?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. No, I just wanted to clarify. Evan, I actually live-streamed that event that was done. So I'm more than happy to do it – live-stream it – so people who can't attend, especially people who will not be going to the event, then I'll be willing to volunteer to do it at that event as well.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you. Alan, you still have your hand up. Do you have another comment?

ALAN GREENBERG: Nope. Sorry.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Moving on, we have an agenda item under My Community 5.2 about developing a comprehensive transition plan for oncoming officers, and this is actually something that we have brought to the attention of the Academy.

I think as our work becomes more and more complicated and there's more documents, more widgets, more access, more things to be aware of, we really, really need to have a concrete set of assets and things that everybody should have access to, and things that should be transferred to people as they come on into leadership roles.

A lot of this stuff has been done in an ad hoc fashion in the past. We want to do everything we can to formalize it. I know there's a number of specific items in this list, and I'm aware that staff has commented that they are working on these items, so I will leave it be. Glenn, you still have your hand up. Do you have a new comment, or an old comment?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'll take it back down again.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you. So we're going to be talking to the Academy and also to staff about ways that we can formalize these transitions and control the data. Darlene, you have your hand up. Please?

DARLENE THOMPSON: I'm very sorry. I missed the point under the CROPP thing. Chris Mondini also wanted to know about the ADA. I'm just finding it here. Ah – nope. Just give me a second.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, Darlene, we're going to move on. If you come up with it, maybe you can put it right into the chat, and then we can add all these as action items later.

DARLENE THOMPSON: I've got it: "Have you actually had your trip confirmed to the ADA event?"

GARTH BRUEN: I guess the answer would be no.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Okay good. Thank you. That's it. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Next agenda item is agenda 5.4 on TOR and alternate DNS. This is a discussion that Glenn and I started with the Security and Stability Advisory Committee in Buenos Aires. It's become obvious through the news and of course our own research that there is a large body out there that functions on the Internet which isn't directly attributable, let's say, to ICANN or maybe outside of ICANN's sphere of influence.

The types of things going on and the nature of them are somewhat complex, and we really feel that they need to be part of the discussions that we're having because they affect our Internet use and they have impact on people's lives. So we have brought forward this idea. It's been supported by ALAC members to have a discussion, and we're still working on the details of that. Hopefully we'll have more information about this, but in Singapore, we will have a discussion – a panel discussion and presentations about TOR and alternate DNS.

Rather than get into a detailed discussion about what these are, contact me. I can fill you in and answer some questions or point you in the right direction. I'll keep feeding information out to the various lists as we start bringing this to a formal discussion. Even, you have your hand up. Please?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Thanks, Garth. Just so you know, it looks like there's been some discussion going on, and although it hasn't been finalized, it looks like there is momentum and broad support to have a workshop in Singapore for us to have both a technical introduction of TOR as well as a more broad discussion of business threats to the DNS. From an alternative point of view that would be challenges to the DNS.

But there's a longer conversation to be had. There's an interest in having a technical presentation that introduces the concept of TOR and other alternatives and also talking about it in a broader sense with an eye to having perhaps a deeper discussion of this in London at the summit or as part of the regular ICANN meeting. But there was generally a belief that the ICANN community doesn't even know enough about TOR to be able to be discussing it and the challenge that it presents to end user choices and so on.

So I'm simply making the point that it looks like there's going to be a workshop held in Singapore. Who's actually organizing it, I'm not sure. It might actually be the Future Challenges Working Group, or it might be something broader within ALAC. But there's definitely interest in having that and not just in an ALAC thing but for us to present it community-wide.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you, Evan. Yeah, these are some pretty heavy, pretty serious subjects. And apparently the discussion about them has happened behind closed doors with some working groups at ICANN, and it felt it

was time for it to really be public and to have everybody be aware of what's going on. So keep an eye on that. It's important stuff

Item 5.5 – synchronizing calls to monthly reports. If you have time, please look at the skeleton or dummy report format for January 2014. What we're going to do is we're going to mirror the outline of the call agenda, and this way we can make sure that what we say what we're going to do is actually met is reality at the end of each month or is carried over the next call. In this way, we have sort of a continuous agenda.

Before, the layout – the format – of monthly reports was sort of loosey-goosey. It was whatever happened to be going on, whatever was interesting, was put down there. We're going to make it much more structured now, so we have a clear tracking of aspirations and outcomes.

So hopefully this will also make our agenda more metric-friendly so we can actually point to what we claim we're doing and what we end up doing, and we can easily report that, easily account for our work so everybody can see all the great things that we're doing and it's fully accounted for.

So if anybody has any kind of comments or suggestions on that, please, please, please send them to me. And if you want to join in with the ALAC Metrics wiki space, there's also space in there for people to add additional comments and suggestions. I see that Eduardo has his hand up. Please, Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Where are these things located in the wiki? Can somebody put a link so we can look it up? Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Within the agenda item 5.51, the new format of the monthly reports is linked directly there. And it's basically, if you look, Eduardo, within the left-hand side navigation tower – the vertical – you will see headings like "The NARALO Meetings and Events" and then "NARALO Secretary's Monthly Reports." So the monthly reports would be listed under there, and the new format would be seen going forward from January 2014. I hope that's helpful.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Sure. Okay. So 5.6 – we're going to be reaching out to consumers' web watch, either for reengagement or decertification. The digital version of Gareth Shearman's certificate from ICANN was received by staff and it's been posted. I'll make sure to provide a link to the actual certificate. Maybe we can create a space within the wiki where it can be permanently memorialized in a digital format.

5.8 – the Alberta Community Association is defunct, and we will start the process to decertify them.

5.9 – this is carry-over from the last call, which I don't have too many details on. I'm a little vague on it – the .mobi appointees. Is anybody a .mobi appointee who wants to discuss this? No? That's okay.

We'll move on. 5.10 – these are items from Chris Grunderman from ISOC Colorado. He has sent a couple of upcoming meetings that he wanted the community to be aware of. And one of them is the one that I discussed in the meetings.

And the other one is called Driving Into the Future. This one isn't a meeting. I'm sorry. This is an announcement about their activities that's on the ISOC main website. It's something that Chris wanted to be aware of. Olivier has his hand up. Please, Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Garth. I'm sorry. I was a little slow on the trigger regarding the .mobi appointments. It was just to let you know that there has been a selection made of .mobi appointees, and I believe – is it Murray McKercher who I think is the person. Unfortunately, I haven't got the name in front of me. I believe it is Murray.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yes it is. That's already been – sorry, Olivier. That was done, and it was voted by ALAC. Sorry. That was done, and ALAC ratified it.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Fantastic. Thank you very much, Evan, for reminding me of this. So he's been put in touch with the people at .mobi, and I just found that there

will be a first meeting that will take place, which is going to be a conference call sometime in January. And then Murray McKercher will then come back to us afterwards with the progress of the first .mobi liaison engagement since a number of years. So I'm very glad to see that someone from NARALO with an extensive experience in the field. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you. I will update that item, then. Thank you for the clarification. Much appreciated.

Moving on to the next agenda item, which is kicking off the NARALO Spotlights for 2014. This has been something that's been a bit of a success story for NARALO. It's something that has been very interesting to the other regions and to ICANN in general.

What I will do is, because HETS is the newest ALS in our region, I'm going to ask them specifically to prepare a presentation for our next call. And then the secretary Glenn, if you could start preparing a regular schedule throughout the year alphabetically of the rest of the ALSes, excluding the ALSes that did presentations last year, and you can add this as part of your action items, I would appreciate it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, moving on. Agenda item 6.1 – these are our working group reports and activity committee reports. The first one is NomCom, and I believe that Louis Houle, our representative, is on the call. Louis, are you there?

LOUIS HOULE: Yes, I am.

GARTH BRUEN: Whenever you have a moment, can you please update the region on your activities or on the NomCom activities?

LOUIS HOULE: Sorry, I'm losing the line I think. Would you repeat that?

GARTH BRUEN: Louis, I just want a brief update on NomCom activities and what you're working on with NomCom.

LOUIS HOULE: Yeah, so you received the December report card. I sent it to everyone. And we had a second meeting last week. We had updates on the subcommittees. There have been meetings that we could underline concerning the outreach and the outreach for the NomCom in the next coming months. So we should receive some further information in the next coming days concerning outreach at the ICANN.

For the other subcommittee, the SOI Revisions Subcommittee that held two meetings so far and agreed on the changes that will make the statement of interest form a little bit more logical, concise and convenient to use by both applicants and the NomCom members.

There's also that on the information received – and Glenn could comment on that – the formal information that's been asked is not always appropriate or relevant. So this is what we are trying to improve for the applicants to provide their views on the job that they want to take over. Is that enough for you? Otherwise, you can go to the card if you have extra. Any other questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

GARTH BRUEN:

Louis, thank you. Can you just comment briefly on the suggesting a candidate that provides only to that? That was something that was discussed in Buenos Aires. Maybe you can just talk about that for a second.

LOUIS HOULE:

Well, yes. If you want to suggest candidates, what we were expecting is to have – and I've been asking that during the last meeting – we want to offer the ALSes a way to remotely suggest candidates other than by face-to-face meetings, where we've been provided some business cards that I could send to anyone who would like to receive them to suggest candidates or to propose themselves.

On that, we didn't go further than what I'm saying right now on that point. We're expecting staff to send some more information on that in

the coming week. The information regarding the NomCom applications – we should receive some information on the update of the website that I will be glad to send to you guys.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you, Louis. Now obviously, these are for Board positions. Are there any other positions for which the NomCom accepts suggestions.

LOUIS HOULE: Not that we've been talking about.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you. Moving onto the next report – the Committee Working Group – we have the Accountability and Transparency Review Team number two report, which was just released.

Is there anybody from the ATRT 2 on the call who wants to comment about this report? No? Is there anybody on the call who has a question about the ATRT report, has a comment or anything they want to discuss about the ATRT 2 report? I have provided a link also to the comments that were submitted. Alan has his hand up. Please go ahead, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just a quick comment saying we put a lot of work into it. We think there's some recommendations that merit the support of the community, and we're hoping that we're going to see those.

What is being recommended is going to be an awful lot of work. I think to the extent that the community believes any of the recommendations have merit, I think it's worth saying so because the Board is going to need all the encouragement it can get to motivate it to actually do a lot of it. There's a lot of work there. We think it would make a better ICANN, but the support of the community is important. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

What would you say is the most important recommendation you have?

ALAN GREENBERG:

We spent a lot of time talking about that and decided that, if the recommendation is there, it is important. Whether it is important to a given part of ICANN or for a particular aspect is completely different. There are recommendations there which will certainly have potentially a very large impact on At-Large and an a large benefit to At-Large.

Those are specifically the recommendations that talk about the participation from communities that are not well-represented right now, which have cultural language and other disadvantages, and very much specifically which have funding disadvantages because most people at At-Large don't have corporations to pay for their participation. So if you want an example, those are certainly ones which will impact At-Large.

There are other ones which have no impact on At-Large directly, but are we believe vitally important, and that's things like participation of the GAC in policy development processes. So I'm certainly not in the

position to say what the most important is, but there's a lot of good stuff and a lot of stuff there. Whether it's good or not is for you to judge.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much. I believe the comments are closed, but I guess the team is always accepting suggestions and comments.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no. The report has been issued. The team is disbanded. But now it's up to the Board. The Board now has six months to evaluate how it is going to respond to them, and there is a public comment period open providing input to the Board at this point.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you. I will update the agenda to reflect that the Board is now the one that's accepting the suggestions and comments. Okay, great.

Next item: 6.3 – Future Challenges Working Group. That would be Evan. Evan, do you have any comments or news?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Just what I was saying earlier about that we may be getting involved with the TOR issue in Singapore. Basically, that's about it right now. I don't have a lot more to add.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you. We will skip the CROPP report because we already discussed CROPP quite a bit, but I see Darlene has her hand up. Please, Darlene?

DARLENE THOMPSON: Very quickly, through all the hoops that we have to jump through for CROPP, Chris Mondini has the final say as to whether we'll get our funding or not. And since it's now moved all the way up the ladder to Chris and he only had minor questions, I would not be at all surprised to see the ADA and ARIN [inaudible] approved. That's it. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN: That's great news. Thank you. Alan still has his hand up. Alan, do you have another comment?

ALAN GREENBERG: No.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you. Moving on: 6.5 – the At-Large Finance and Budget Subcommittee. I believe that there's a meeting which is pending. I think it's tomorrow. Anybody on the call from that committee who has a comment? No?

The Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Working Group – that is also a pending meeting. I believe it is also tomorrow or later in

the week. Is there anybody in that group who has a comment? No? Okay.

Moving on to agenda item seven, which is the ALAC section of the discussion. And I've listed a number of meetings that are coming up, but I don't have anything specific for ALAC to discuss. So I will turn the floor over to Olivier because he's on the call and if he has anything he wants to talk about.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Hi there, Garth. On the subject of ALAC itself, there are quite a few issues, of course, with the policy advice developments going on. I invite you all to click on the policy advice development page, which you have a link to in your agenda. There are a number of statements currently being voted on and some being drafted.

The ICANN draft vision and mission and focus areas for a five-year strategic plan is currently being drafted. Tijani Ben Jemaa is currently working on this, and the Finance and Budget Subcommittee is working on this. And of course, you are all very welcome to bring some input to this as well.

There is at the moment also a public consultation on the draft criteria and process for the selection of the Multi-Stakeholder Ethos Awards pilot program. That's a prize that would be provided to an individual of exceptional standing according to a number of qualifications. The first set of qualifications is being put out there for comment. If you have any thoughts as to what this individual would need in addition to these criteria, you're very welcome to comment on this.

There is a question with regards to the proposal for a specification 13 to the ICANN registry agreement to contractually reflect certain limited aspects of [.brand] new gTLDs.

On the public policy list, it does say that Alan will be drafting something on it. I'm not quite sure whether Alan Greenberg still wishes to draft something on it. I notice that the closing period for the initial commentary was yesterday or today, very recent. And it might be that we might just drop this one and with the amount of work we have at the moment not actually produce a statement. Alan, please feel free to contradict me if I'm going off on a tangent.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I did let it drop over the holidays. I guess I need to talk to Evan because we were talking together whether we decide to put something in or not. So I'll talk to Evan and we will either do something in the next day or so or recommend not.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you, Alan. My take on this is it's not going to kill the ALAC if no statement is drafted on this one. Then the request for a written community feedback on the Geographic Regions Working Group recommendations. There's been a lot of discussion that took place on that. As you know, the Geo Regions working group, which is a pan-ICANN, a cross-community working group that worked on a number of solutions or potential solutions, none of which are absolutely perfect. Essentially, the complexity of the international definition of the geographic regions.

Tijani Ben Jemaa and Maureen Hilyard have put together a short statement there to answer the question. We're now at the votes, and I believe the statement will be filed by the end of the week after the vote is finished.

Finally, on the vote as well, the DNS Security and Stability Analysis Cross-Community Working Group report is out. That's the DSSA, for those of you that have followed the acronyms. And Alan has very kindly put together a statement for this.

We're at voting level at the moment, the important thing being that the ALAC agrees that the working group under the current conditions have basically completed its work, and therefore by accepting the final report the working group will probably be closing down.

It is with regret, of course, that the recommendation to not proceed with Phase 2 is agreed because the work of the group was actually pretty good to start with.

Anyway, that's the current policy developments going on. I see there are a couple more that are coming up that you might have seen through your e-mails, and they're not listed on there so far. If you check on the mailing list the next couple of days, you'll find out a couple comments for these as well. Usually we give them the usually 21 days plus 21 days. It's an [old fact], but if you have a comment on any of these processes, please proceed forward with sending it out.

Apart from that, as far as the other parts are concerned, the IRTP D – I'm not quite sure I can comment on any of these other ones. I'm not sure – well, IRTP D, SCI, Translation and Transliteration Contact Info PDP

Working Group. And then, of course, we've got the mid-monthly call coming up for the At-Large Leadership Team on the Thursday the 16th.

I remind you all that the ALT calls are open, so you're all invited to go and listen on it. And as the chair of that, I usually give priority to the actual Leadership Team members to speak, but it's sometimes interesting.

We do get into the inner discussions of what's going on in our world and outside, of course. I think part of the discussion is going to do, of course, with the policy development, but there's also going to be a significant amount of discussion with what's going on with the cross-community working group on the Internet issues with the Brazil conference coming up.

So a lot of things going on [inaudible]. For the others, I'll let others speak on the call. I think that there are members of those working groups on this call.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay, thank you, Olivier. With that, Evan, Eduardo, or Alan – any other further comments from ALAC? Hearing none and seeing no hands up, we can close this section of the call.

I want to assume that we have gone over the hour, I don't want to take up too much of anybody else's time. I do want to open the floor up to anybody else who has any other business they want to discuss?

Seeing none and hearing none, this will complete the call. I appreciate everybody's time. If anybody has any issues they want to forward to me,

please do so, and I will see you in a month. Thank you very much, everybody.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you, everyone. The meeting has been adjourned. The audio will now be disconnected. Thanks.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]