AFRALO SHOWCASE WG:  04 MAY 2001 CHAT

Seth Greene: APRALO SHOWCASE WG:  4 MAY 2011

Seth Greene: Hello, WG members.

Seth Greene: Please note:  The links expected to be needed during this meeting can be found in the pod at the lower left.  (Highlight link and click "Browse To.")

Sivasubramanian M: gisella can you hear me?

Sivasubramanian M: or am I on mute?

Eduardo Diaz: Hello everyone!

CLO: Hi Edwardo

CLO: I Siva

CLO: Gisella is not on the call Seth is

Sivasubramanian M: Hello Cheryl, Olivier

CLO: Siva  we assume you are on mute

Sivasubramanian M: I think so, and will ask to be unmuted when I want to speak

Sivasubramanian M: thansk

Charles Mok: Hi I am here.

Seth Greene: Pavan apologizes; he might be a few minutes late.

Charles Mok: But I may get out of the door in the middle of the call and I may mute myself most of the time after first starting the call.

Seth Greene: Understood, Charles.

Charles Mok: I may not be able to use the Adobe room to speak up later too as I get out the door so I have to "yell" to speak later. Just give you a warning first :)

Seth Greene: Hello, Pavan.

CLO: It is just logistics and recording

CLO: Thanks Eduardo

Hong Xue: cheryl, sorry I missed the last part. What was the decision for A.2?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: can we have the showcase wiki address please?

Hong Xue: My line is verynoisy.

CLO: Meetings  will be Chaired from a volunteer selected at the time  we as a WG  will just  function  wothout nominated roles

CLO: WG  is a TEAM

Hong Xue: Thanks.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Oh got it: https://community.icann.org/display/NARALO/NARALO+San+Francisco+Showcase+Working+Group

CLO: That is the NARALO  one...

Sivasubramanian M: Oliver, there are three links on the left that point to apralo showcase preparation

Charles Mok: I am back. But seems to be in and out. Sorry.

Charles Mok: Pavan, can you please also acknowledge and ask Siva to talk about the points he sent in an email to the list a few hours ago, at an appropriate point of the agenda? Thanks!

Sivasubramanian M: will do that Charles

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: obtaining information from the ALSes requires a very persistent person. Darlene was the person for NARALO who was persistent enough, pestering ALSes who did not come back to her.

Charles Mok: Thx Siva...

CLO: AfRALO  tried to get space  for a stall  yes 

CLO: I disagree wioth it being a non RALO  showcase

CLO: the point of these showcases  is to show the ALSes  to the rest of ICANN

Seth Greene: Pavan, there is a proposed to-do list already up on the wiki, if you'd like.

Sivasubramanian M: It still is an At Large showcase, but with a focus on the region that the RALO represents. It merely expands the scope,  the idea is not to be taken as an idea to make this a "non RALO showcase"

Charles Mok: To-do list that Seth mentioned: https://community.icann.org/display/APRALO/APRALO+-+Proposed+Showcase+To-Do+List

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: In general, the host country showcases the country in which the meeting is held. I would be concerned if the showcase, which is precisely here in order for the ALSes to present their activities, had a broader scope to focus on the wider region

CLO: Yes  I like a screen approach

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: I fear that it would take the light away from the ALSes

CLO: more interactive  WOULD  be GOOD  IMO

Gisella Gruber-White: Edmon Chung is on the call

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: my comment relates to Shiva's proposal

CLO: ALSes  will still "present"

Sivasubramanian M: @Olivier, if there are such implications, then we will stay conservative

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: @Shiva: the keynote speaker is thre to bring crowds. the ALSes are the stars of the show

Seth Greene: Link to Showcase agenda is to the left.

Sivasubramanian M: as long as we get a Star speaker, like Vint Cerf for NARALO

Seth Greene: Link to draft event agenda is at left and here:  https://community.icann.org/display/APRALO/APRALO+-+Proposed+Showcase+Event+Agenda

Eduardo Diaz: Cheril is correct. I am in the NomCom this year.

Hong Xue: which one are we discussing?

CLO: the draft  event Agenda

CLO: Yes  we have already said alternat AV  presentations  would be welcomed

CLO: but  they need to be MORE  than BG

CLO: Yes  the setting  drives  the way we can do this

CLO: and I'm all for NOT standing  fo a block of time it kills  my back

CLO: as long as the translation  goes up in text  do NOT want to manage  ear phone  sets  and costs

Charles Mok: Echo Hong, but possibly we can also have one ALS present in Hindi too as Singapore also has a large Indian population. Just an idea.

CLO: If we had a few  SHORT  key notes  that would allow is to break uo the ALS contibutions  nicely

Gisella Gruber-White: Cheryl - your line is muted so please let us know if you wish to speak

Gisella Gruber-White: Charles still shows as being ON the call

CLO: why  I was not the cause of noise

Charles Mok: I will get out of the door now, will get off Adobe, and get off the call line and dial back in soon

CLO: Noted  Charles

Gisella Gruber-White: Cheryl - I am being told the noise goes away when you are muted

CLO: Who ownes  that  job  to  get the keynotes

Edmon: ya, i was going to ask too

CLO:  it  should  be a LOCAL(ish)  person(s)

Edmon: need someone to take the lead to coordinate

CLO: Do we NEED  them

Sivasubramanian M: I have a comment: Skip comment period for the sponsorship letter process

CLO: seveal Showcases  have NOT 

CLO: Nice if we have them  BUT

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: agree with Cheryl having several smaller keynotes to intersperse ALS presentations

CLO: YES  coats  foirst  the room for example  I thought  would be covered by ICANN 

CLO: coats = costs

CLO: Time of day also makes a dsifference to cost

CLO: Similar letter went out  from AfRALO as well

CLO: did NOT work

CLO: Another question  is will the Songapore meeting be providing  refresh,ents at breAKS  SOME MEETING DO SOME DO NOT

CLO:  Sorry CAPS

Eduardo Diaz: ICANN was able to put  $1500 + the room  + the audio equipment, Google put the rest which was around $6K

Sivasubramanian M: We could also think of a venue across the hotel, if meeting costs are prohibitive at the hotel

Sivasubramanian M: lost audio

CLO: Who has looked  at the venue?

CLO: NARALO was HE

CLO: HUGE

Eduardo Diaz: @olivier: thanks for the info

CLO: So  then  when  (part of the week) should we aim  for   remembering  we should make sure we can get maximum  BOARD  and leadership  of ICANN present  so there are days to avoid

CLO: I also like the idea of the online registrations

CLO: and we can  invite woth RSVP  to us  Board  ICANN Leadership  Key people

Eduardo Diaz: @CLO: Tuesday sounds like a good day put it will depend on events ocurring that day

CLO: Yes  @Eduardo  I would avoid later in the week

CLO: also  time of day  changes that as well

Sivasubramanian M: That is important, to get Board members and constituency leaders to attend the showcase

CLO: Yes I would avoid  Monday this time'

Sivasubramanian M: Thursdays are light

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: thursday's too late

CLO: Thur gets  BNO  Board

CLO: NO  Board possible on Thur

Hong Xue: Wednesday as NARALO did would be good.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: nobody around on sunday

Hong Xue: People would be too tired to present on Sunday.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: all getting ready for the purported cocktail in the evening

Eduardo Diaz: I have to go. Please let me know if you need my help in the future.

CLO: and it does not need to be an evening

Edmon: agree no need to be evening

Hong Xue: I've got to go. Thanks to everyone.

CLO: bye  Hiong

CLO: ZHong  sorry added an I

Edmon: bye

CLO: Bye 

CLO: extra letters from my bad  typing :-(

Seth Greene: Thank you, everyone.

Sivasubramanian M: Bye

• No labels