Original link: https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-04-28-en

WEBINAR: Further Discussion on the CWG-Stewardship 2nd Draft Proposal for Public Comment

The Cross Community Working Group to Develop an IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal for Naming Related Functions (CWG-Stewardship) released its 2nd draft proposal for public comment on 22 April. Following the opening of the public comment proceeding, the CWG-Stewardship Chairs hosted two briefing webinars on 24 April.

The briefing webinars on 24 April focused on the CWG-Stewardship work process, development of the 2nd draft proposal, and provided an overview of the contents and proposed structural model. The CWG-Stewardship Chairs will now host a follow-up series of webinars to brief interested community members on the content of the 2nd draft proposal, and to respond to questions that have surfaced since the briefings on 24 April. These two webinars may help further inform community submissions in time for the close of the public comment period on 20 May.

These two webinars will be held at different times to facilitate participation across time zones. The webinars will take place on:

• 6 May from 13:00 – 14:30 UTC (time zone converter here)
  • 7 May from 06:00 – 07:30 UTC (time zone converter here)

Webinar Details & How to Attend

The webinars will be run in an Adobe Connect room. If you are interested in attending the webinar and would like to receive dial-in details, please send an email to brenda.brewer@icann.org and indicate which time you would like to attend the webinar. Please note that the webinar will be conducted in English and will be recorded and transcribed. Subsequently the transcripts will be translated in the 5 UN languages and posted on the CWG-Stewardship Wiki here.

Further information

For further information about the CWG-Stewardship's work, please seehttps://community.icann.org/x/37fhAg.

For further information about the ICG and the IANA Stewardship Transition, please seehttps://www.icann.org/stewardship.

Download the webinar slides here -->  Webinar Slides (updated 6 May).pdf

Webinar 1

6 May 13:00 UTC

Attendees:  Abibu Ntahigiye, Alain Durand, Anbar Dhahi, Ariel Liang, Avri Doria, Barbara Wanner, Bart Boswinkel, Ben, Bernard Turcotte, Brenden Kuerbis, Caitrin Dwyer, Carlos Raul Gutierrez, Carlton Samuels, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Chuck Gomes, Cristina Monti, Daniel Rogna, Degezelle Wim, Elise Lindberg, Elizabeth Ekstrand, Freida Tallon, Gary Campbell, Geme Campillos, Glen de Saint Gery, Glenn McKnight, Gordon Chillcott, Graeme Bunton, Hadji Mmadi, Hugo Salgado, Iddo Moed, Ines Martinez, Jaap Akkerhuis, Jahangir Hossain, James Bladel, James Gannon, Jim Cassell, Jim Prendergast, Jimm Phillips, Jimmy Schultz, Joerge Schweiger, Jonathan Robinson, Julia Charvolen, Julie Z, Karel Douglas, Kaydian Smith, Keith Drazek, Kevin Jones, Kevin Murphy, Kevin Wright, Klaus Stoll, Lynn St. Amour, Manal Ismail, Marija Zugic, Mark Buell, Mark Carvell, Marketa Novakova, Marlene, Mary Uduma, Mathieu Weill, Melanie Penagos, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Olof Nordling, Oscar, Paul Diaz, Peter Van Roste, Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Ron Sherwood, Sam Lanfranco, Sara Bockey, Seun Ojedeji, Sherly Haristya, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy, Staffan Jonson, Stephanie Duchesneau, Taylor Bentley, Tomohiro Fujisaki, Vilma, Wahkeen Murray, Yaovi Atohoun, Yasuichi Kitamura  (80)

Transcript:

EN:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 6 May 2015.doc

EN:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 6 May 2015.pdf

AR:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 6 May 2015-ar.docx

AR:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 6 May 2015-ar.pdf

ES:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 6 May 2015-es.doc

ES:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 6 May 2015-es.pdf

FR:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 6 May 2015-fr.doc

FR:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 6 May 2015-fr.pdf

PT:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 6 May 2015-pt.doc

PT:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 6 May 2015-pt.pdf

RU:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 6 May 2015-ru.docx

RU:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 6 May 2015-ru.pdf

ZH:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 6 May 2015-ZH.doc

ZH:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 6 May 2015-ZH.pdf

Adobe Connect Recording:  https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p93l1shdxiw/

MP3 Recording:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-cwg-iana-06may15-en.mp3

Adobe Connect Chat:

Brenda Brewer: (5/6/2015 07:28) Welcome to the CWG-Stewardship Webinar on 6 May 2015.

Marija: (07:45) Thank you for the Webinar!

Brenda Brewer: (07:45) Thank you for attending!

Yasuichi Kitamura (At-Large)): (07:50) hi, all

Karel Douglas: (07:50) Good morning from Trinidad!

Brenda Brewer: (07:54) Hear you Bernie.

Bernard Turcotte - staff support: (07:55) good day all

Bernard Turcotte - staff support: (07:55) Remember to mute you mike if not speaking

Jaap Akkerhuis (SSAC): (07:57) Muted...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (07:58) hi all

CWG IANA: (07:58) Hello everyone

James Gannon [GNSO/NCSG]: (07:58) Hi All

Jahangir Hossain: (07:58) Hello everyone , Good evening from bangladesh !

Karel Douglas: (07:59) Hi Jahangir

Karel Douglas: (08:00) Hi  Cheryl L-O

Ron Sherwood: (08:00) Good Morning all, from sunny Panama

Staffan Jonson: (08:03) Hi all

Seun Ojedeji: (08:04) Hello everyone

CWG IANA: (08:04) hi all

Gordon Chillcott: (08:04) Good morning . .

Anbar Dhahi: (08:05) Hi all

Wahkeen Murray: (08:05) Good Morning Everyone from Jamaica

Carlos Raul G.: (08:07) woops

Hadji: (08:07) Hi All from Comoros

Carlos Raul G.: (08:09) The sldie misses to list function 10 and 11 in the lower box

James Bladel - GNSO: (08:11) audio?

Brenda Brewer: (08:14) Audio is on James.  If you cannot hear, please try joining Adobe again.

Jimmy Schulz: (08:17) Hi everyone

Sam Lanfranco: (08:23) Query: What is OFAC Licensing?

James Gannon [GNSO/NCSG]: (08:27) Sam OFAC is dealt with in SAC069 section 2.1.3 here: https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sac-069-en.pdf Might be of use to you?

James Bladel - GNSO: (08:29) Hi Brneda.  Jonathan was just breaking up a bit earlier.  May have been on my end.

Sam Lanfranco: (08:29) @James...Thanks!

James Gannon [GNSO/NCSG]: (08:29) @Sam its in a few other sections in 069 aswell if you search through it, pretty decent overview in terms of what we need to know for our work

Klaus Stoll: (08:29) Sorry, I know Jonathan mentioned it, but where can we find the slides

James Gannon [GNSO/NCSG]: (08:30) @Klaus on thr right hand side of the adobe room it has a link

Marika Konings: (08:30) https://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/assets/cwg-stewardship-towards-final-proposal-23apr15-en.pdf

Klaus Stoll: (08:30) Thanks all.

Peter Van Roste: (08:36) <question> Can you please elaborate on where/how the CSC/IFR will be structured (PTI/ICANN/stand-alone)?

Rinalia Abdul Rahim: (08:37) Questions: Is the PTI Board empowered to appoint the PTI CEO? Are the RIR and IETF represented in the CSC?  Should they be represented? 

Carlos Raul G.: (08:37) Excellent presentation Jonathan, Thank you

Seun Ojedeji: (08:40) CSC as i understand it is a review team for names just like numbers is also going to have a review team post-transition

Rinalia Abdul Rahim: (08:41) Thanks!

Brenden Kuerbis: (08:41) I agree Seun, distinct scopes of activity.

Sivasubramanian M: (08:43) Q:  If there is going to be structural separation and an IANA Board , do we need  an expansion of ICANN Board to include better RIR representation? This would then double the number of Board seats in Names and Numbers

Mark Carvell  GAC - UK Govt: (08:43) How soon do you expect the current PTIA discussions (incl who is appointed to it, by whom and how selected) to conclude so the community is able to respond meaningfully to enable finessing governance aspects of the proposal - before or at BA?

Avri Doria: (08:44) At this point the RIRs and IETF are just clients of ICANN's

Chuck Gomes: (08:45) @ Mark:  PTIA = ?

Sivasubramanian M: (08:45) I heard, not very clearly, Jonathan say something about expanding post transition I C A N N Board, hence this question. Of course that woudl be an Accountability question. Thank you

Avri Doria: (08:45) the Protocol and numbers communities would need to want to to change that relationship.

Mark Carvell  GAC - UK Govt: (08:45) i meant "PTI Board" - sorry

Chuck Gomes: (08:46) Thanks Mark.  Just wanted to be sure.

Grace Abuhamad: (08:46) clarification noted @mark

James Gannon [GNSO/NCSG]: (08:46) MArks one

Brenden Kuerbis: (08:46) @Siva Another way approach that would be to instead examine more closely the compositon of the PTI board, and accompanying accountability questions.

Sivasubramanian M: (08:47) Yes Brenden

Peter Van Roste: (08:47) <question> Specifying earlier question: graphical overview suggests CSC and IFR are outside of ICANN. Can you clarify?

Seun Ojedeji: (08:47) @Avri somewhat PTI will also be a client of ICANN (especially if PTI does not manage other 2 communities part of the IANA functions)

Avri Doria: (08:48) Seun, I do not think so.  PTI is part of ICANN, not its clinet.

Avri Doria: (08:49) PTI will do the work needed for ICANN's cleints.

James Gannon [GNSO/NCSG]: (08:49) Well PTI would be an ICANN affiliate. No not a customer but not quite part of ICANN either, its in the middle

Mary Uduma: (08:49) @ Avri is ICANN then PTI's client?

Staffan Jonson: (08:49) Peter: I'll give it a try: CSC and IFR are represented also by organizations that are not members (and don't wanting to become members) of ICANN

Mary Uduma: (08:50) Would the operating communities be PTI's client? Ithis being envisages in this model?

Mary Uduma: (08:50) Is*

Avri Doria: (08:51) Mary, it is a service provider.  One that it owns.  the operating communites would be indirect clinets - except for Names which would have a direct relationship.

James Gannon [GNSO/NCSG]: (08:51) +1 Avri

Avri Doria: (08:52) the other communities could have a direct relationshipo if they wanted, but we cannot presume  that. They would have to ask or ICG would have to broker.

Peter Van Roste: (08:52) Thanks - that clarifies a lot!

Mary Uduma: (08:52) If ICANN is dissatisfied with PTI , would ICANN sack itself (PTI)?

Avri Doria: (08:53) Mary, essentially yes, it could.

Mary Uduma: (08:55) @ Avri Would it sack the PTI Board, CEO, or Staff ?  Would ICANN incorporate a new PTI?

Avri Doria: (08:55) Mary, no idea what it would do, but it would be able to decide to do various things.

James Gannon [GNSO/NCSG]: (08:55) @Mark my understandingf is the IFR would initiate an RFP for a new provider in the case of failure of service, not ICANN directly, the IFR is there for that

James Gannon [GNSO/NCSG]: (08:55) @Mary not Mark

Avri Doria: (08:56) James, we have yet to decide on the process by which an RFP might be written.

James Gannon [GNSO/NCSG]: (08:56) @Avri thanks for that clarification

Chuck Gomes: (08:57) It's probably helpful to communicate that the CWG is continuing to work on items that need more detail.

Seun Ojedeji: (08:57) @Avri well ICANN is currently a client to NTIA and since ICANN(community) is awarding PTI a contract(task to run IANA) then one could say PTI is a client to ICANN. Nevertheless i guess the subsidiary thing may make the client relationship obvious

Yaovi Atohoun: (08:58) Thank you

Bernard Turcotte - staff support: (08:58) bye all

Joerg Schweiger: (08:58) Thanks!

Mark Carvell  GAC - UK Govt: (08:58) This slide set will be very helpful fo rbriefing my new minister after tomorrow! Thanks,

Lynn St.Amour: (08:58) Thank you.

Mary Uduma: (08:58) Thanks and bye All

James Gannon [GNSO/NCSG]: (08:59) Good luck with that Mark!

Peter Van Roste: (08:59) Thank you

Webinar 2

7 May 06:00 UTC

Attendees:  Anbar Dhahi, Annaliese Williams, Bernard Turcotte, Chris Disspain, Greg Shatan, Holly Raiche, Jian-Chuan Chang, John Demco, Jordan Carter, Jiankang Yao, Juli, Julia Wolman, Leon Sanchez, Liana Teo, Lise Fuhr, Manal Ismail, Marketa, Markus Kummer, Mohamed El Bashir, Nigel Hickson, Nikki Hu, Pam Little, Peter Van Roste, Sabine Meyer, Shin Yamasaki, Sorina Teleanu, Tom Dale, Wajdi Alquliti, Wolf-Ulrich Knoben, Yuri Takamatsu, Zainab Al-Farsi, Zheng Song  (32)

Transcript:

EN:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 4 - 7 May 2015.doc

EN:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 4 - 7 May 2015.pdf

AR:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 4 - 7 May 2015-ar.docx

AR:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 4 - 7 May 2015-ar.pdf

ES:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 4 - 7 May 2015-es.doc

ES:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 4 - 7 May 2015-es.pdf

FR:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 4 - 7 May 2015-fr.doc

FR:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 4 - 7 May 2015-fr.pdf

PT:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 4 - 7 May 2015-pt.doc

PT:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 4 - 7 May 2015-pt.pdf

RU:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 4 - 7 May 2015-ru.pdf

RU:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 4 - 7 May 2015-ru.pdf

ZH:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 4 - 7 May 2015-ZH.doc

ZH:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 4 - 7 May 2015-ZH.pdf

Adobe Connect Recording:  https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p4gzesax4or/

MP3 Recording:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-cwg-iana-07may15-en.mp3

Adobe Connect Chat:

Brenda Brewer: (5/7/2015 00:36) Welcome to the CWG IANA Stewardship Briefing Webinar on 7 May.

Bernard Turcotte - staff support: (00:55) hello all

Chris Disspain: (00:57) Nice to see a significant Austrlian presence this afternoon!

Tom Dale (GAC Secretariat): (00:57) Absolutely.

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (00:58) holding up the European side this morning :)

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (00:58) hi everyone!

Chris Disspain: (00:58) Hi Sabine

Jordan Carter (.nz): (00:58) hi team

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (00:59) long time no see ;)

Lise Fuhr: (01:00) Hello everyone

Julia Wolman, Denmark: (01:00) Hello all

Tom Dale (GAC Secretariat): (01:00) Too many of these Sabine. If I ever have a grandchild I will name him/her Adobe Connect.

Manal Ismail: (01:00) Hi everyone ..

Markus Kummer: (01:02) Hello everyone

Greg Shatan: (01:02) Is 11 pm still evening :-(

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (01:03) no fair, Tom! that was *my* baby name!

nigel hickson: (01:03) good morning

Holly Raiche: (01:04) @ Tom - at least this is a good time for Oz

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:04) Sabine, it must be at least 24h since last we typed

Marika Konings: (01:05) Please note that the slides can also be downloaded here: https://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/assets/cwg-stewardship-towards-final-proposal-23apr15-en.pdf

Pam Little: (01:05) Is someone driving the slides?

Marika Konings: (01:34) Please feel free to raise your hand to ask a question or type a question in the chat.

Peter Van Roste: (01:34) <question> where is the CSC sitting? PTI? ICANN? Who provides support?

Peter Van Roste: (01:37) OK, thanks Lise.

Greg Shatan: (01:37) Lise, for what it's worth, I agree with your view.

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:38) <Question> Is it fair to say that the first proposal put the "stewardship" role in an external company, but that this second proposal puts the "operations" of IANA in a separate company?

Greg Shatan: (01:39) PTI is an affiliate of ICANN, so it is within the "enterprise."

Holly Raiche: (01:40) Lise - the word you used is subsidiary -

Peter Van Roste: (01:40) <question> Will the initial SOW for PTI be a copy of the current SOW with the NTIA? If not, who will decide on it as the IFR team only meets in two years.

Greg Shatan: (01:40) Contract Co was outside the "enterprise."

Holly Raiche: (01:40) Thanks

Greg Shatan: (01:40) Non-profits can't be "owned." So it will be a nonprofit with one member -- ICANN.

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:41) ok :)

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (01:41) ah, so has there been any discussion on how the legal structure of the CWG proposal meshes with the CCWG one?

Holly Raiche: (01:41) @ Greg - from what you say, is IANA a member of ICANN or the other way around?

Greg Shatan: (01:41) If the LLC form is chosen, then PTI can be owned by ICANN.

Peter Van Roste: (01:42) Thanks!

Greg Shatan: (01:42) ICANN would be the sole member of PTI (Post-Transition IANA).

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (01:42) so that would be ICANN as a whole, right?

Marika Konings: (01:42) @Peter - see also section III.A.i.c. of the report

Greg Shatan: (01:43) Sabine, that would be ICANN, Inc.

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (01:43) i.e. not the board.

Holly Raiche: (01:43) Si A PTI is the non profit, with ICANN a member?  How does that fit with ICANN stakeholders looking at accountability of ICANN -?

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:44) So it forces clarity too

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (01:44) my question exactly, Holly.

Greg Shatan: (01:44) Sabine, I'mf not sure I understand your question about the board.

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (01:45) just importing the CCWG discussion about what we talk about when we talk about "ICANN". you were perfectly clear, I wasn't. sorry for that.

Greg Shatan: (01:45) No problem!

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:47) ICANN is governed by the Board and nobody is presuming that will change, if we keep ICANN as a non profit company. So yes it would be ICANN inc that is the member of the affiliate, if it's a membership based non profit co.

Peter Van Roste: (01:47) @Marika: thanks!

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:48) ICANN is the member of PTI, controls PTI

Greg Shatan: (01:48) Other way round, Holly.

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:48) PTI on top would be misleading

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:48) yes, we are in agreement

Greg Shatan: (01:48) Jordan and I are in agreement.

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:48) PTI is the 'subsidiary' entity

Greg Shatan: (01:48) The graphic is correct.

Greg Shatan: (01:49) Members control non-profit corporations.  They are the highest on the totem pole.

Greg Shatan: (01:50) That is why the Accountability CCWG is advocating that the community become members of ICANN.

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (01:50) well, as a reference mechanism. there could be other options.

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:50) sorry, I just fell out

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:50) missed 90sec of the discussion

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (01:51) hope that was right. I am in desperate need of more coffee.

Marika Konings: (01:51) Please remember to mute your lines when not speaking

Holly Raiche: (01:54) Thanks Greg

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben: (01:54) what's the CWG approach regarding the NTIA letter submitted yesterday to the co-chairs (implementation schedule)?

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben: (01:55) it's early to all of us... thanks

Greg Shatan: (01:56) Wolf-Ulrich, what is the ICG approach?

Greg Shatan: (01:56) :-)

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:56) Did the CWG get a letter too? I didn't spot it on the list but probably my fault

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (01:56) ICG did.

Marika Konings: (01:56) @Jordan - Jonathan forwarded it yesterday

Greg Shatan: (01:57) CWG was a cc on a letter to the ICG.f  I'll send it to the Accountability letter.

Marika Konings: (01:57) (or at least my yesterday ;-)

Greg Shatan: (01:57) letter = list

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben: (01:57) sorry, I'm not on the phone. ICG is going to start the discussion on the list

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:57) So there is no specific letter to CWG, just checking.

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (01:57) just sent the ICG letter to you, Jordan.

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:57) ICG and CCWG-Acct got the letters

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:58) Thanks Lise

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (01:58) then sorry for spamming :)

Holly Raiche: (01:58) Thank you for the briefing

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:58) Thanks Lise for hosting this, early in the morning for you

Markus Kummer: (01:58) Thanks Lise -- well done!

Julia Wolman, Denmark: (01:58) Thank you very much. Very helpful!

nigel hickson: (01:58) Thanks Lise; was useful;

Bernard Turcotte - staff support: (01:58) bye all

Jordan Carter (.nz): (01:59) ciao all

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (01:59) bye!

Peter Van Roste: (01:59) Bye all

Greg Shatan: (01:59) Bye allf!

Lise Fuhr: (01:59) BYe and thank you

Manal Ismail: (01:59) Thanks .. Bye ..

• No labels