At-Large Capacity Building Working Group

Monday 17 December 2013 at 2100 UTC

Summary Minutes and Action Items

Roll call - Gisella

1. Welcome by Chair

Sala, Chair of the WG welcomed all to the first session.

3. Appointment of Chairs

OCL thanked everyone for joining and particularly Sala for joining. This is quite a task because it has not been done enough in the past few years. There has already been some work done, with regards of some capacity building. One is the ICANN Academy, some of you are part f the program,. this is ICANN wide.

Ralo capacity building started by AFRALO, where the ALS met in Dakar and they had all sorts of activities, etc., so that they can take part of the ICANN bottom up process. In Costa Rica there were also sessions, and NARALO also performed sessions. In teh case of LACRALO for example, there has been some follow up, with people invited to the calls.. This has been very helpful. There is also another effort just starting, the VP for Global Engagement is developing a capacity building program.

OCL mentioned that what is important that these efforts take place in parallel and require coordination among the different working groups.

I noticed that, being in ICANN, there is very little known about how internet is run. That there is a political view that most developing countries do not have the knowledge about this issue.

Sala:  She thanked Olivier for the overview and we are not working in isolation, and there are other initiatives. We need to be able to identify ...on the ground.

Asked all to look at the WIKI and described the illustration.

One of the challenges we have seen  and even in Dakar. If you look that we have began the process of gathering information.. We need to work on the WIKI, exchange information. The spreadsheet is not the final document, it is a work in progress, some ALS are missing.

APRALO and NARALO Secretariats are enthusiastic to begin working on this.

3. Appointments of the co-Chairs:

Carlos Aguirre:

OCL:

Carlos Aguirre: I would like to congratulate you on this initiative of capacity building. I was aware of the people little knowledge on the multi-stakeholder model.

Tijani: I think it is important to define the tools, given the huge amount of activities in capacity building.

Sala: We need to remove the possibility of duplication.

Fatima: We need to have the vision and objectivity. In LACRALO in the capacity building in CR we have had several sessions on various issues.

OCL: There is one interim Chair, Sala. In general working groups have more than 1 Chair. It is a good idea for this WG which is a key of this WG. With regards to other co-chairs, I would like to suggest Tijani.

Fatima: I would like to suggest 2 co-chairs. It is a good opportunity. Carlos Aguirre. Tijani

Dev: I would like to volunteer to be a co-chair to help facilitate this task.

Tijani : I am very happy to see that there are a lot of volunteers.

ICANN Academy: This is about all the activities in ICANN. I had a meeting with Sally and explained to her that each constituency must have a capacity building. Do we need virtual capacity building? We have Dev and Carlos which are great.

OCL: Suggested to have a steering committee, so all can be part of it. So that tasks can be allocated.

What's the feeling on this?

Yes, Fatima, Dev, Sala agreed.

This is an excellent team.

The steering Committee will be getting together shortly.

Dev: Just something about the spreadsheet, one of the things is to be mindful of different countries names which are being used for same country or territory.

Juan Manuel Rojas:  We are talking about the information gathering and the indicators gathering.

Sala: We should come up with comments and invite everyone to     provide inputs.

The steering committee will get together and well before the meeting in Beijing we should have a framework for consideration by the ALAC.

We need to define indicators, do the analysis.

Yaovi: I would like to see from Steering Committee.

My suggestion to the team is to review what we have and make sure that we need all this information.

The team needs to refine and define what we need to reach as soon as possible.

Sala reminded all that the focus of this WG is not Outreach.

• No labels