You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 2 Current »

Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the IDN WG call on Thursday 01 March 2012
  Gisella Gruber-White:Meeting Page: https://community.icann.org/x/op-bAQ
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Hi G are we expecting many/any for this call :>
  Gisella Gruber-White:We live in hope :-)  ... Rinalia will join and so will Olivier.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Hi Hong
  Hong Xue:Hi, cheryl, must be very late for you.
  Gisella Gruber-White:Hello HOng - do you need a dial-out?
  Hong Xue:No, I will call in.
  Edmon:does anyone have the dial in number handy?
  Gisella Gruber-White:From Hong Kong 800 965184
  Hong Xue:Hi, I'm leaving at midnight for airport so cannot stay very long. Hopefully we will start on time.
  Edmon:found it
  Hong Xue:Now 23:00pm in Beijing.
  Hong Xue:Hong Kong 23:00pm as well.
  Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome everyone!
  Edmon:1. Discussion and expansion on FY13 comment regarding investments into IDN 2. VIP Final Report and project Plan discussion 3. Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs 4. Planning for Costa Rica meeting
  Edmon:https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/31166974/DRAFT+-+ALAC+Statement+on+the+ICANN+FY13+Budget+Framework.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1329851963053
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/31166974/ALAC+Statement+on+the+Framework+for+the+FY+13+Budget.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1330040584000
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I agree with Hong's concerns
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:and  YES even those figures  do not add up to the main budget line entry  so inflation  ++ Inflated  best guess
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:It is strange that the figures do not add up. And I was also surprised to see the "too far remote in the future" expression
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:Hi everyone, I have been on the call since it started but just logged into Adobe [3am in Fiji]; I share the sentiments that have been expressed thus far
  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:These are serious concerns and I agree that ALAC needs to respond.  In addition to a statement, would we be in a position to provide suggestions or alternatives in terms of a more appropriate budget, etc?
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:There are two sides to having a short comment period. Maybe in this case, it might have been decided to have a very short comment period so as not to delay the process for implementing the proposals.
  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:As well as how to speed up the process.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Rinalia: I think that this is where we are edging to
  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:I agree.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:GAC  snd also  ccNSO   to quote  their PC  part  =>  Read to record
  Hong Xue:I suggest we engage as wide as possible constituenties, not only GAC.
  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Agree with Hong as well on wider outreach.
  Hong Xue:Edmon, can I make a comment on JIG after Sala? I must leave pretty soon.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Yes  Hong perhaps  both you and I can ensure we chat with Roleof in CR  on this matter
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:you'd have to convince GNSO of that  not an easy task I fear  atm  Hong until they do theitr  Rules  for CCWG's
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:Yes I  agree with Cheryl's reasoning
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:Well you should be a ccNSO Concl
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:even as a NomCom
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:This is ccNSO Council problemm NOIT an ALAC oner
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:that's the only way to push
  Sivasubramanian M: Alac may consider everything in its powers to call for the details of the proposal to appoint a consultant, at 2.8 million[9:10:20 PM IST] Sivasubramanian M: 2.  When it comes to IDN, no business / consultancy firm has greater or even comparable expertise than  the expertise of IETF / ICANN community, so what additional insights are hoped to be achieved by appointing an external consultant?[9:11:15 PM IST] Sivasubramanian M: If ALAC could obtain the "terms of reference" for the consultancy assignment, perhaps ALAC could put forth a community driven Consultancy team at a FRACTION of the cost[9:11:50 PM IST] Sivasubramanian M: (If Olivier's concerns on the possible dealys are otherwise addressed)
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:GNSO Council finds the issue of CCWGs as being a very touchy subject at the moment, as Cheryl has mentioned
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:and if you read the proposals for a formal process to establish CCWGs, you'll find that there are aspects of the process which are so restrictive that it's highly unlikely that any CCWGs ever be created again
  Sivasubramanian M:(sorry I had difficulty getting into the adobe room, so I skyped Gisella a moment ago to read it out,  and now copied the comments from skype, so the time stamp is there )
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:again we need a strategic plan if  we don't aleady have one and it should involve assessment of where we have evolved to, what our objectives are and map out processes of how we want to get there\
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:This will then in turn impact how we engage with other cross constituencies and what our expectations are from them
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:from an email sent to ccNSO on 22 Feb re this
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:The Joint ccNSO/GNSO IDN Working Group (JIG) is looking for additional working group members to join the discussions on various IDN TLD-related topics. In order to have a good representation of the ccTLD perspective in the JIG discussions and recommendations, the ccNSO would like to see an increased participation of ccTLDs in this working group.The purpose of the Ad-hoc ccNSO/GNSO Joint IDN Working Group is to deal with issues related to the introduction of IDN ccTLDs under the IDN ccTLD Fast Track implementation process and IDN gTLDs under the new gTLD implementation process which are of common interest to both the GNSO and ccNSO.For more information, please visit the JIG website: http://ccnso.icann.org/workinggroups/jiwg.htmIf you are interested in joining the group, please send an email to kristina.nordstrom@icann.org before 6 March. You do not need to be a ccNSO member to volunteer!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:so I see no impoedament for Hong to volunteer at all
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:Volunteer Hong
  Hong Xue:Then I suggest a real corss-constituency WG be initiated by ALAC, to involve all other groups, if JIG is not the only story in the town.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Our demands for a real cross constituency WG are likely to be opposed by the GNSO Council.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Because we are seen as taking away the emphasis of Policy Development Process (PDP) from the GNSO.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:This is a highly charged political item. As a result, we have managed to get our voices heard by being having some of our members participate as individuals into GNSO WGs.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:There will be discussion in Costa Rica about CCWGs among At-Large, by the way. I personally think it is a really sad situation that some people prefer supporting the idea of working in silos because they feel they are losing "power" if they share it.
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:we should consider co-signing a statement with other constituencies even
  Sivasubramanian M:Agree with Hong, but instead of seeking to replace the JIG, we could ask the JIG to be more inclusive and make sure that ALAC has a good presence
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:No comments
  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:@Olivier, if we can re-examine the incentive structure and figure out ways to change that, sharing would be more pervasive.  
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:could you please expand on this Rinalia?
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:It's GNSO internal politics that prevent a sharing of power
  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:I will put it on email (later) - too tired mentally right now.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:thanks! We'll follow up on that
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:re-dfialling
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:one secc please
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I'm back
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:please go ahead Sala
  Sivasubramanian M:@Olivier    The moment a proposal is expanded into a cross-constituency proposal,  the internal politics of one consituency would take a back seat
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:Universal Acceptance of Domains
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:good I will attend
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:shall we attend Rinalia?
  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Yes.
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro::)
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:we have more than enough time
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:TLD Universal Acceptance1230-1400 / WEDNESDAY, 14 MARCH / La Paz A
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:Thanks OCL
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:We'll have to work strategically to see who will be able to go there and make our points known
  Sivasubramanian M:@ Hong  one strategy that would not hurt the existing JIG would be this:  ALAC and GAC could together experss an interest in expanding the IDN JIG into a cross constituency working group,  that would make it look smooth
  Sivasubramanian M:If we propose a CC WG in place of JIG, it may not sound politically correct
  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Thanks, Edmon and everyone.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:ot would be useless for us to do that Siva  Yes indeed
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Bye all
  Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:Goodbye all; call's over but we should thrash out some of the issues and discussions on the mailing list
  Sivasubramanian M:Thansk evertyone, bye
  Silvia Vivanco:Thank you all.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Excellent call - thank you!

• No labels