Seth Greene:WGFC CHAT:  05 OCTOBER 2011
  Tijani:bonjour Jean Jacques
  CLO:hi there
  Jean-Jacques:Bonjour Tijani
  Gisella Gruber-White:Hello Jean-Jacques - we are dialling out to you
  Jean-Jacques:hello Cheryl, Seth, Gisella
  Seth Greene:Hello, Jean-Jacques.
  Jean-Jacques:thanks Gisella, the hotel operator has been informed. Hope this works.
  CLO:fingers  crossed  then JJS
  Jean-Jacques:for the time being we're not quorate
  avri:i can't find the page with the number to call.  the page i have goes no where.  so i am searching searching searching...
  Gisella Gruber-White:Avri - in a second
  CLO:US #?
  Gisella Gruber-White:S:800.550.6865
  Gisella Gruber-White:pass code 1638 #
  avri:thanks
  avri:i guess i should write this down somewhere.
  Jean-Jacques:have not been called yet...
  Gisella Gruber-White:Operator having issues as getting message on the number - we are trying
  Evan Leibovitch:good morning / afternoon / evening everyone
  Jean-Jacques:Gisella if the operator is having problems with the hotel, please call my mobile 'phone +8613651609039.
  Gisella Gruber-White:Jean-Jacques - message in foreign language on that number
  Gisella Gruber-White:we are calling your mobile now
  Jean-Jacques:EVAN: PLEASE OPEN THE MEETING AND GO AHEAD, I don't to have colleagues and Staff waste their time. I'll catch up.
  Heidi Ullrich:Jean-Jacques, Evan is starting the meeting.
  Gisella Gruber-White:JJ should be on now
  Jean-Jacques:yes, joined.
  Gisella Gruber-White:not yet
  Sandra Hoferichter:IHi I have trouble to get connected could hear you but no one could answer
  Gisella Gruber-White:Sandra - we call dial-out to you
  CLO:Agenda  is all good  THANKS
  Heidi Ullrich:Summary Minutes from 6-6-11:https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+WG+on+Future+Challenges+06.06.2011+Summary+Minutes
  Garth Bruen:ici
  Gisella Gruber-White:Sergio has joined the call
  Heidi Ullrich:Action Items from 6-6-11:https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+WG+on+Future+Challenges+06.06.2011++Action+Items
  CLO:Hi Sergio
  Dave Kissoondoyal:Hello all, sorry for the delay
  Ganesh Kumar:@JJS: Agree on honing the focus so that we can be effective. Mentioned this to Evan earlier also.
  CLO:Hi Dave
  Jean-Jacques:Cheryl, recognized, you'll speak next
  Sandra Hoferichter:Hi allI am in just now.
  Jean-Jacques:hello Sandra
  CLO:and remembering  always that we need to use the 'limiters' of  what  ICANN 's  role and mandate  is  and  SPECIFICALLY  the At-Large  role and ALAC capacity as an AC
  Jean-Jacques:yes Cheryl
  Jean-Jacques:and Alan
  CLO:kind  of a Mantra  for me  JJS ;-)
  CLO:lists  tend  to end with WG
  Garth Bruen:it's fine
  CLO:we can  title  the purpose  as a "Work Group of the ALAC on Future Challenges"  then  were all sorted ;-)
  Gisella Gruber-White:Sergio disconnected and we are getting no answer now
  avri:well a better method with the same result would be sad.
  CLO:agreed  Avri  but as you KNOW  I'm on the record as  protesting the matter  on process last  time ...
  avri:me too if i remember correctly
  CLO:on the Economist  Artical  I place here for the chat record  an extract of some salient  text  "The multi-stakeholder approach dates from the beginnings of the internet. Its founding fathers believed that more openness would be both more secure and better for innovation. What is more, since the internet is a network of independent networks, it is hard to construct a form of governance that allows anyone to dictate things from the top.Until the early 2000s most governments were happy---at least in Western countries where most internet users lived. They had no problem with the network’s standards being set by such organisations as the Internet Engineering Task Force, which is open to everybody. Nor did governments balk when America in 1998 set up the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), also based on the multi-stakeholder model, to manage the internet’s core: its address system.Yet as the internet has become a global medium attitudes have changed. At the World Summit on the Informati
  Jean-Jacques:Alan recognized, to speak after Avri
  CLO:....   If even ICANN cannot command the respect of its stakeholders, the entire multi-stakeholder model may be in danger. That is why the American government, long an ardent defender of the model, is expected to put a lot of pressure on ICANN to change its ways when a decision is taken next year whether the group should remain in charge of running the physical infrastructure of the internet’s address system, which--as critics keep pointing out-is still controlled by the American government.Yet some experts argue that ICANN-and thus the multi-stakeholder model itself--can firmly establish itself only when it is underpinned by a proper constitution, complete with a bill of rights for stakeholders and a separate board of review (or supreme court). ICANN, they say, resembles the kings and parliaments of old whose power is coercive and unconstrained. Only if internet governance has a “constitutional moment”, declares Viktor Mayer-Schönberger, a professor at Oxford University, will it avoid becoming th
  CLO:powerful nations"
  CLO:last line  shouod read  the plaything of  Powerful nations
  Evan Leibovitch:The biggest difference  between the treatment of GAC and ALAC in the bylaws is that GAC comments *must* receive a reply from the Boardl ALAC advice des not.
  Sandra Hoferichter:I have to leave the chat now but will stay on the phone
  Evan Leibovitch:In terms of mandate -- or scope of what can be commented on -- the two ACs are fairly similar
  Jean-Jacques:Cheryl recognized, to speak after Alan
  Jean-Jacques:Thank you Sandra for coming
  Jean-Jacques:Ganesh, to speak after Cheryl
  Alan Greenberg:And there will be those who will pass judgement ithout even reading the Exec Summary.
  Alan Greenberg:ithout=without
  Jean-Jacques:Avri recognized, I'll reply to Ganesh, then you please speak
  CLO:At-Large  of course has  several  mechanisms  to bring  voice to the  'discussion table"  obvious  one os  via  the ICANN Public Partiipation opportunities generally and within the SO's and the AC's
  CLO:ALA  as we move  through to our next level of maturity  needs to establish its  AC role  distinctly  from that  of At-Large  and at-large
  CLO:ALA = ALAC above
  Jean-Jacques:EVAN PLEASE CHAIR, my call has just been dropped
  CLO:agree with Avri  ans that is why  we do that in all we put forward
  Jean-Jacques:Gisella, could you please have the operator call me again?
  CLO:we need to traqin the audience  we 'pitch to ( at all levels) in ICANN  YUP  I agree  Avri
  CLO:and  we seem to have that as a sword of damacles
  Jean-Jacques:Evan chairing?
  Garth Bruen:did we skip 3.a.?
  Gisella Gruber-White:we are dialling back to JJ
  CLO:the order is reversed  Garth
  CLO:mentioned  at the beginning
  Heidi Ullrich:Ganesh, your line has been muted
  Garth Bruen:Ok, thx
  Heidi Ullrich:to unmute, *7
  CLO:It  SHOULD  be chaged in the Agenda  as well  *hint hint  to staff*
  Jean-Jacques:Gisella, I'm still waiting for the call on my mobile...
  Heidi Ullrich:The agenda in the AC has been changed to reflect the order on the main wiki  agenda page.
  Jean-Jacques:anyone: are we still on item 3.a ?
  CLO:we can onlpy  just  touch on THIS  macro  matter  many MORE  steps  and discussions  to follow
  CLO:shifting  to 3b now  JJS
  Jean-Jacques:thanks CLO
  CLO:Working  also  woth the new leqdership ( and I wondeN Compliance  as well is part of that process as well from an ALAC  POV  in my opinion
  Jean-Jacques:I'm back
  CLO:should  read  ( And i wonder about  any new Directions  in  ICANN Compliance Dept)
  Garth Bruen:question on Dakar meeting time, is that the final time? ICANN travel has me flying out at 5AM. If the schedule is set I will attempt a later flight.
  avri:when is this WG scheduled to meet in Dakar?
  Evan Leibovitch:as an AI: when was ALAC advice hededed and even was ALAC advice ignored... can we try to analyse what factors would lead to acceptance?
  CLO:as soon as the Board meeting finishes  Avri
  Evan Leibovitch:I'm looking forward to a discussion with the Compliance team in which the answer is not "I'm new here, let me get back to you"
  avri:ah,  i will miss it, proabably can't even particpate remotely, as I got double booked for the week. never matter, i can catch up after.
  Jean-Jacques:point taken Alan
  CLO 2:Plenty more meetings  post  Dakar  of  course
  Alan Greenberg:no problem, just wanted to leave the right concept in people's minds
  CLO 2:Heidi  can  we  post  the  proposed  discussion poihts  for the  Board  ALAC Meeting  here please
  avri:but will try to find a way to particpate remotely, assuming rmeote is working.
  CLO 2:referenced  to  JJS's  point
  Heidi Ullrich:1.  JAS WG Outcomes          2.  ATRT Phase II Implementationa. ALAC/Board communications protocolsb. Outreach3. 2012-2015 Strategic Plan4. Board view on handling pressure to reform  
  CLO 2:Thanks  Heidi   I see this  matter as fitting under  Comms   and  to some extent  ATRT  topics
  CLO 2:can we confirm  we WILL hqng?ve  remote for the meeti
  Heidi Ullrich:Yes, can confirm
  CLO 2:good
  CLO 2:thanks
  Tijani:see you
  CLO 2:bye  all
  Ganesh Kumar:bye
  Dave Kissoondoyal:Thanks and bye and safe travels to Dakar
  Garth Bruen:Bye
  Heidi Ullrich:bye

• No labels