Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0

Then I wanted to get into a short thing on planning for the upcoming meetings between now and Costa Rica and then start thinking about what it is we indeed want to do in Costa Rica.  Then the two standard updates – one on the Applicant Support Program where I have precious little to say; then an update on any new gTLD issues that Cintra wants to alert the group to, or anyone else in the group that has seen to get on the list of things.  Then review pending actions that haven’t yet been covered in the meeting that went before, and then any other business.

Wiki Markup
                                                Does anybody have any other business to add to the Any Other Business agenda slot at this point?  No?  Okay.  I’ll ask again at the end.  Oh, I see I numbered two 7’s and no 6 but I hope people will understand…  And two 5’s -- I really did a good job on renumbering.  I apologize for that but hopefully people can still follow the \[sequentiality\].

Okay.  Any other changes, comments on the agenda?  In which case we’ll go with that.  Oh yeah, I forgot to ask but I presume that we are recording.  Please correct me if I’m wrong in my presumption.  If not, Gisella, can you do the roll call?

Gisella Gruber:                        Yes, with pleasure, and I’m hoping that you can hear me well enough.

Avri Doria:                              Well enough.

Gisella Gruber:                        Thank you.  Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone on today’s New gTLD call on Monday the 6th of February.  We have Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Cintra Sooknanan, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Rudi Vansnick, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Hong Xue who will be joining us shortly on the audio bridge.  We have apologies today from Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Jose Arcé, Rafik Dammak, Annette Muehlberg, Yaovi Atohoun.

From staff on today’s call we have Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber and I believe Heidi Ullrich.  And if I can also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes.  Thank you, over to you, Avri.

Avri Doria:                              Okay, thank you.  So the next item is hopefully to finalize the Objection Procedures to send it for RALO review.  We have two written things, a cover letter and then the objection procedure itself.  As I understand it both have gone for translation; I’m wondering if someone can give an update on where that process is at?

Does anybody have any other business to add to the Any Other Business agenda slot at this point?  No?  Okay.  I’ll ask again at the end.  Oh, I see I numbered two 7’s and no 6 but I hope people will understand…  And two 5’s – I really did a good job on renumbering.  I apologize for that but hopefully people can still follow the [sequentiality].

Okay.  Any other changes, comments on the agenda?  In which case we’ll go with that.  Oh yeah, I forgot to ask but I presume that we are recording.  Please correct me if I’m wrong in my presumption.  If not, Gisella, can you do the roll call?

Gisella Gruber:                        Yes, with pleasure, and I’m hoping that you can hear me well enough.

Avri Doria:                              Well enough.

Gisella Gruber:                        Thank you.  Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone on today’s New gTLD call on Monday the 6th of February.  We have Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Cintra Sooknanan, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Rudi Vansnick, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Hong Xue who will be joining us shortly on the audio bridge.  We have apologies today from Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Jose Arcé, Rafik Dammak, Annette Muehlberg, Yaovi Atohoun.

From staff on today’s call we have Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber and I believe Heidi Ullrich.  And if I can also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes.  Thank you, over to you, Avri.

Avri Doria:                              Okay, thank you.  So the next item is hopefully to finalize the Objection Procedures to send it for RALO review.  We have two written things, a cover letter and then the objection procedure itself.  As I understand it both have gone for translation; I’m wondering if someone can give an update on where that process is at?

Heidi Ullrich:                          Hi Heidi Ullrich:                          Hi Avri, this is Heidi.  We have sent them to the translator as you mentioned and we are still awaiting them back.  I would expect them mid-week, so if you wanted to immediately send the English version to the RALOs and then we can follow up with the French and Spanish versions mid-week.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Avri Doria:                              Okay, thank you.  So let’s see if we’re at a point for everybody having no objection, but thank you.  And of course if we get any changes out of today that will throw off the translation.  I figure we’re adjusting for those changes, correct?  Obviously.  \[laughter\Doria:                              Okay, thank you.  So let’s see if we’re at a point for everybody having no objection, but thank you.  And of course if we get any changes out of today that will throw off the translation.  I figure we’re adjusting for those changes, correct?  Obviously.  [laughter]

Okay, so first, any objections on that from anyone?  No?  Okay.  Moving on to the cover letter, the cover letter was…  Fortunately I think the folks on staff went through it, cleaned it up a little.  I think there were some other cleanups from a few members of the team, Tijani and others.  So is there anything that needs to be discussed on this?  Is there anything that’s problematic?  Is there any objection to this letter going forward as written?  Let me see if there are any red things… 

Alan Greenberg:                      Alright, I thought I opened everything in the chat.

Wiki Markup\[background conversation\]\\

Avri Doria:                              The one that’s called At-Large/ALAC Process for Considering and Making Objections.

Avri Doria:                              Okay great, thanks.  Cheryl, please.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Thanks, Avri -- Cheryl for the transcript record.  If we’re going to do a walkthrough I’ll actually hold until then, because on some of the documents there were some minor comments I had referred to in the later pages of that document, and just for the record I agree with changing the title to as Alan suggested “Comment and Objection.”  So if someone would take my speaking rights away I’d be very happy -- whoever gave me the microphone, it’s time to move it.  \[laughter\]\\              Thanks, Avri – Cheryl for the transcript record.  If we’re going to do a walkthrough I’ll actually hold until then, because on some of the documents there were some minor comments I had referred to in the later pages of that document, and just for the record I agree with changing the title to as Alan suggested “Comment and Objection.”  So if someone would take my speaking rights away I’d be very happy – whoever gave me the microphone, it’s time to move it.  [laughter]

Avri Doria:                              Okay.  Okay, Dev, so I think you’ve already got a couple comments.  I would take then basically a quick walkthrough.  Do you want to walk through it or do you want me to sort of move it along and you just sort of talk to the sections as they come up?  How do you want to do this?

Avri Doria:                              Okay.  Then why don’t I talk and I’ll just basically say “Okay, any issues on the first paragraph?” because I would like to just really march through this one.  So we have an issue on the title, and what did we resolve the title should be?  Dev, what do you think you need to change the title to? 

Wiki Markup\[crosstalk\]\\

Avri Doria:                              Excuse me, Dev, you tell me what you think and then others can say if you got it right or not.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Nope.

Wiki MarkupAvri Doria:                              Any question on the \[quotes\]?  Okay, moving down: grounds for objection.  A formal objection…  Excuse me?\\Doria:                              Any question on the [quotes]?  Okay, moving down: grounds for objection.  A formal objection…  Excuse me?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              This is Cheryl.

Alan Greenberg:                      Avri, it’s Alan.  The preceding pages only talked about the references for the objection process and we’re suddenly here introducing the comment period out of the blue.  We need some reference to what the comment period is and something like that.

Wiki MarkupCheryl Langdon-Orr:              I thought it talked about               I thought it talked about (inaudible) under “However, under \ [HTTC\] new gTLDs points out that comments may be submitted on an application.”  ”  So it mentions comments in a separate paragraph.    It’s not capitalized I admit.\\

Alan Greenberg:                      Okay, then I missed it and it should be highlighted slightly.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Mm-hmm.

Wiki MarkupAvri Doria:                              I mean we certainly can’t be accused of using English by using ad hoc.  \[laughing\]\\Doria:                              I mean we certainly can’t be accused of using English by using ad hoc.  [laughing]

Alan Greenberg:                      Normally ad hoc is not hyphenated; it’s just a word.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Okay.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

\[crosstalk\]\\

Alan Greenberg:                      If you make it “Each RALO then votes…”

Figure 1 in the second instance at the start of ACP.  Any comments with that?  Figure 1 in the third instance within first week of ACP.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Cheryl here. I just wondered why we had to tell everybody in this point that the ALAC RALO Wiki \[runs\] the Wiki software Confluence (inaudible) there.\\              Cheryl here. I just wondered why we had to tell everybody in this point that the ALAC RALO Wiki [runs] the Wiki software Confluence (inaudible) there.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       This is Dev.  I figured this is just in case for those ALSes who don’t understand, who don’t use the Wiki; and also for those persons that may be reviewing this when we submit to ICANN after the ALAC has hopefully approved this.

Avri Doria:                              Yeah, well there’s new people awakening all the time.

Wiki MarkupCheryl Langdon-Orr:              Yeah, I have no problem with it being \[built-in graces\], it’s just I think it’s the first time in any document I’ve ever seen it, and that’s fine. \\              Yeah, I have no problem with it being [built-in graces], it’s just I think it’s the first time in any document I’ve ever seen it, and that’s fine. 

Avri Doria:                              Yeah, I mean it may be something that would fit better as a footnote.  I understand that it makes sense to be there.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              So Avri, if you just put a comma between “to be drafted” and “for objection” I think that solves the question in Cintra’s…
unmigrated-wiki-markup

\[crosstalk\]\\

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              So it will then read “So the gTLD RG starts with informing RALOs of the desire for comments to be drafted, and for objection statements.”  Those are two separate things with two separate deadlines.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Ah yes, I’m now looking at it.

Wiki MarkupCheryl Langdon-Orr:              \[A thorough check will be done.\]\\              [A thorough check will be done.]

Avri Doria:Avri Doria:                              That’s got a nice ring to it. 
unmigrated-wiki-markup

\[crosstalk\]\\

Avri Doria:                              Anyway, Figure 3 – Week 5 of the ACP.  Any issues or comments?  Okay.  Figure 4 – Weeks 6 and 7 of the ACP.  Any comments?  Does one need to explain the notion of holding the pen?  It’s become such a common thing for us to say in the working groups but I’m wondering if perhaps we shouldn’t say “The person responsible for editing the draft,” or something like that just in case; or putting the  footnote to “holding the pen,” just in case that common usage isn’t necessarily familiar, isn’t idiomatically familiar to others.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              It’s probably from the French that we got it, actually, if I think about it, sure.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Avri Doria:                              So that was a \[set sequence\], thank you very much.  Cintra, please go ahead.\\ Wiki MarkupCintra Sooknanan:                   Thank you, Avri.  Incidentally it might be (inaudible) -- that may not translate very well either.  I don’t know if you want to suggest a more (inaudible) wording because I think it should be a lot of times towards kind of…  It could be put like that in the very beginning of the…  Or even if (inaudible) you know?  So I don’t know if we want to kind of formalize it \Doria:                              So that was a [set sequence], thank you very much.  Cintra, please go ahead.

Cintra Sooknanan:                   Thank you, Avri.  Incidentally it might be (inaudible) – that may not translate very well either.  I don’t know if you want to suggest a more (inaudible) wording because I think it should be a lot of times towards kind of…  It could be put like that in the very beginning of the…  Or even if (inaudible) you know?  So I don’t know if we want to kind of formalize it [over time] or just say (inaudible) on that.[over time\] or just say (inaudible) on that.\\

Avri Doria:                              Go ahead, Dev.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Okay.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Yeah, Alan -- Cheryl here.  \[I feel a bit\] uncomfortable with that because it has the week, week, week, week to then “month of.”  And in my head it’s sort of like when you talk about a baby, and it feels like a pregnancy and delivery process, by the way -- that the child is five days old, twelve days old, three weeks old and then you go to 18 months, 2 years, 24 months.\\              Yeah, Alan – Cheryl here.  [I feel a bit] uncomfortable with that because it has the week, week, week, week to then “month of.”  And in my head it’s sort of like when you talk about a baby, and it feels like a pregnancy and delivery process, by the way – that the child is five days old, twelve days old, three weeks old and then you go to 18 months, 2 years, 24 months.

Alan Greenberg:                      Okay, I didn’t even realize.  My suggestion was make it consistent with the weeks.

Avri Doria:                              I think we…
unmigrated-wiki-markup

\[crosstalk\]\\

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              …there is so much information in it that even if it’s drawn to be almost a slide presentation form, which is sort of what it was in my head, then we could link it slide-by-slide if need be to each of these paragraphs.

Alan Greenberg:                      Okay, one-by-one.

Wiki MarkupCheryl Langdon-Orr:              \[It could be with\] the annotation in the table of contents or it could be both annotation table of contents and a, you know, “See Slide B9,” “See Slides C9.”\\ Wiki MarkupAvri Doria:                              Right.  I think that these are all good things for us to discuss later.  I don’t think we want to try and do that before going to edit.  I think those are really important considerations for us to look at for the producing of the final work, but with this crash course that we’re on, I think trying to discuss that even or resolve that at this point would be \[one-plussing\] ourselves.  Alan,               [It could be with] the annotation in the table of contents or it could be both annotation table of contents and a, you know, “See Slide B9,” “See Slides C9.”

Avri Doria:                              Right.  I think that these are all good things for us to discuss later.  I don’t think we want to try and do that before going to edit.  I think those are really important considerations for us to look at for the producing of the final work, but with this crash course that we’re on, I think trying to discuss that even or resolve that at this point would be [one-plussing] ourselves.  Alan, you have your hand up or did you already cover that in the…?you have your hand up or did you already cover that in the…?\\

Alan Greenberg:                      No, no – that would have been part of it but it’s a small part.  Right now we have nine pages of flowcharts I think, or something like that, or at least nine flowcharts and four pages of text describing the flowcharts.  I think we need a summary because this is just overwhelming.  No one’s going to be able to read through this and see the overall picture.

Avri Doria:                              Okay, thanks.  Hong, did you want to respond to that?
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Hong Xue:                               Well, thank you for the offer.  I need more time to think about that but the last point I had to raise was that now \[in Line 2\] you are using the \[code dropbox.com\] is being blocked by a great firewall so I am not accessible to that.  I wonder whether if there is any other channel we can…\\Xue:                               Well, thank you for the offer.  I need more time to think about that but the last point I had to raise was that now [in Line 2] you are using the [code dropbox.com] is being blocked by a great firewall so I am not accessible to that.  I wonder whether if there is any other channel we can…

Avri Doria:                              Okay, thanks for that.  Yeah, we’ll have to come up with another, some other not being blocked by you I guess, although you’ll have to let us know as more things get blocked.  So yeah, thank you. 

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              And just to your last point, Avri, I wouldn’t entwine it here but it’s one of those good to know and excellent to be able to use things.  When I put my hand up it was to some extent trying to come to terms with some of what Alan was raising, and then when I was listening to Hong I thought my proposal of shifting things around a little bit without changing text, I’m happy to add – just where the text is – may actually make it clearer and help in what Hong was raising, and that’s the relationship between the comments and then the ensuing ALAC objection process.and that’s the relationship between the comments and then the ensuing ALAC objection process.

If we were to go to the top of the document, have the “Introduction to ALAC Comment and Objection Processes,” then have, alter the quote and then the line, and then we went straight into the “Overview and Summary,” the [full section] of the overview and summary; and then before we go into any Figure explanations have the paragraph on the grounds for objections and then who can file – I think it makes, at least for me, the flow indicates how it’s coming from individual commenters, gathering enough critical mass, being put forward by an ALS into RALO processes, into RALO voting, and then you get if three RALOs agree the ALAC objection process kicks in. Wiki Markup                                                If we were to go to the top of the document, have the “Introduction to ALAC Comment and Objection Processes,” then have, alter the quote and then the line, and then we went straight into the “Overview and Summary,” the \[full section\] of the overview and summary; and then before we go into any Figure explanations have the paragraph on the grounds for objections and then who can file -- I think it makes, at least for me, the flow indicates how it’s coming from individual commenters, gathering enough critical mass, being put forward by an ALS into RALO processes, into RALO voting, and then you get if three RALOs agree the ALAC objection process kicks in.\\

Avri Doria:                              Dev, how does that sound to you?

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Yeah, it sounds good to me on first thought.

Wiki Markup\[crosstalk\]\\

Avri Doria:                              Also within the context of is it something…  Because the next thing I’m going to ask is how quickly can you make all these changes like hopefully today so that the group on the list can at least take a 24- to 48-hour review of this before we can send it on?  Because we can’t send it on until you’ve made changes, people have looked at them and we’ve had at least some time review.  I hope that we can find a way to send this through without having to have yet another meeting to talk about it.  Alan, your hand is up.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Okay, just to say that with regards to comments, comments can be submitted on the objection process after the ACP has ended which is after the eight-week ACP period.  So the comments can then continue to flow in the objection process part of things and then a formal objection statement can be drafted from that.
then a formal objection statement can be drafted from that.

Alan Greenberg:                      Okay careful, because now we’re using two different definitions for the comment period.  [laughing] Wiki MarkupAlan Greenberg:                      Okay careful, because now we’re using two different definitions for the comment period.  \[laughing\]\\

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Well, I’m talking about the…  I don’t know how to put it, the post-ACP.

Avri Doria:                              Right.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              I think if it’s a call for…  There’s a difference in the world of GNSO and the world of ALAC where in some work groups as you painfully well know you actually have to physically put in your hand and say to the list “No, I have no objections that is ongoing.”  That is I think unnecessary here.  If you’ve got a \[cold one\], let the list know and that will do.\\              I think if it’s a call for…  There’s a difference in the world of GNSO and the world of ALAC where in some work groups as you painfully well know you actually have to physically put in your hand and say to the list “No, I have no objections that is ongoing.”  That is I think unnecessary here.  If you’ve got a [cold one], let the list know and that will do.

Avri Doria:                              Yeah, especially in this space since we’re talking about a draft that we’re shipping out for comment.  We’re not talking about a final recommendation on the process.  I think when we’re doing a final recommendation on the process the issue might be a little stricter.  Yes, Dev?

Avri Doria:                              Okay, so I see Cheryl on Schedule A.  I see, okay, can I see a show of green dots for Schedule B?  None for B.  Can I see a show of dots…  Okay, so Cintra prefers B?  Can I see a show of people….  (interference)  And this would be Schedule C.  Do we really need to continue meeting every week between now and Costa Rica, and that there’s enough work and whatever to warrant that?  Okay, so I have one A and one B.  I am really stuck with no opinions.

Wiki Markup
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              \[laughing\]  Gotta love those democratic processes.\\

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              [laughing]  Gotta love those democratic processes.

Avri Doria:                              Yeah, Evan’s not [fussy]. Wiki MarkupAvri Doria:                              Yeah, Evan’s not \[fussy\].\\

Alan Greenberg:                      Make an executive decision.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Okay, so the situation as it is already planned will work better.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Avri Doria:                              Okay, so I will plan on the \[6{^}th^\] and then we’ll see what goes from there.  Thank you all and…\\Doria:                              Okay, so I will plan on the [6th] and then we’ll see what goes from there.  Thank you all and…

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Sebastien has his hand up, Avri.

I just have to tell you that it’s happening and it’s why also I think it’s good that you’re meeting next week because I hope that some things will come out, not as an official decision at all but to push some subject and that we will need to come back to your working group, the sub working group of JAS and so on and so forth.  And thank you for all your hard work.  Thank you very much.
.  Thank you very much.

Avri Doria:                              Okay, and I will take Chair privilege and say the first three words that come to my mind when I think of things the Board needs to keep working on are the outreach to the people for the JAS ASP, the raising of extra funding and that continuing, and the inclusion of the subgroup into the work that’s being done to prepare the [SARP] materials.  I feel sort of like “Yeah, yeah, yeah, we’ll let you know when it’s happening.  When we’ve got something for you to edit we’ll give it to you to edit.”  So I believe we’re sort of being pushed Wiki MarkupAvri Doria:                              Okay, and I will take Chair privilege and say the first three words that come to my mind when I think of things the Board needs to keep working on are the outreach to the people for the JAS ASP, the raising of extra funding and that continuing, and the inclusion of the subgroup into the work that’s being done to prepare the \[SARP\] materials.  I feel sort of like “Yeah, yeah, yeah, we’ll let you know when it’s happening.  When we’ve got something for you to edit we’ll give it to you to edit.”  So I believe we’re sort of being pushed away.

Those are the three things that come to my mind and but I encourage people to write to the list other things.  I see a checkmark; I see Evan with his hand up.  We are six minutes over, but Evan.

Evan Leibovitch:                     Okay, just one thing, Sebastien, and thank you for participating and even for coming here to raise the question.  We’re spending all this time working on an extremely well-done and elaborate objection procedure.  Meanwhile the Board is having to deal with requests to have exceptions and automatic objections for groups like the Red Cross and the IOC.  I’m just hoping you can take back with you perhaps the sentiment that since we’re doing such good objection procedures that maybe there’s not a need to have such automatically reserved names.  If these things are so obviously to be protected then an objection mechanism already exists, and creating some very specific exceptions I think sets an extremely bad precedent to the multi-stakeholder model.  Thanks.

Wiki Markup
Avri Doria:                              Okay, thank you.  I’m clapping at that one and at that I close this meeting.  I thank you all.  I apologize for the \[approximate that may have appeared as forced\] (inaudible) but I’m really trying to drive towards the deadline.  So thank you all very much and thanks especially again, Dev, for all the work that you’re doing and for agreeing to get yet another revision out by tonight.  So thank you all and talk to you next week.

Avri Doria:                              Okay, thank you.  I’m clapping at that one and at that I close this meeting.  I thank you all.  I apologize for the [approximate that may have appeared as forced] (inaudible) but I’m really trying to drive towards the deadline.  So thank you all very much and thanks especially again, Dev, for all the work that you’re doing and for agreeing to get yet another revision out by tonight.  So thank you all and talk to you next week.

[End of Transcript Wiki Markup\[End of Transcript\]