Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0

Avri Doria:                              I have no formal feedback yet.

Wiki MarkupTijani Ben Jemaa:                    So because we had \[inaudible Jemaa:                    So because we had [inaudible 00:09:33\] it will be this working group and \ [inaudible 00:09:38\] our position to the implementation group and if the ALAC judged that it is good to send something to reinforce it, it will be good.    I read your proposal and it is very, very good.    I support it and I think that even if it is not \ [inaudible 00:09:59\] by ALAC, I do prefer that you send it as chair of this working group, perhaps you can change it a little bit but the content is perfect.    Thank you.

Avri Doria:                              Thank you.  Okay now one thing, I need clarification, you would prefer that this group sent it, not that ALAC sent it?

Wiki MarkupTijani Ben Jemaa:                    No I said that we - the group had \[inaudible Jemaa:                    No I said that we - the group had [inaudible 00:10:25\] to send this position.    It is something that we need to do.    But the ALAC statement would be a reinforcement of this position.

Wiki Markup
Avri Doria:                              Okay, I understand.   In terms of sending it with this group, obviously if this group was sending I would have to remove the sentence or two I had put in each one about ALAC advises because obviously we could not \[inaudible 00:10:46\] right.

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Exactly.

position.

Avri Doria:                              Okay, I understand.   In terms of sending it with this group, obviously if this group was sending I would have to remove the sentence or two I had put in each one about ALAC advises because obviously we could not [inaudible 00:10:46] right.

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Exactly.

Avri Doria:                              Right and that’s what you meant?  Avri Doria:                              Right and that’s what you meant?  Okay, I see Evan said he likes the letter and it would be acceptable to its transmission.  Now I'm not quite clear on whether we should pass the letter to ALAC and ask them to send it or whether I should edit it, change it, send it and ask ALAC to send something else.  I'm confused at the moment.  Okay.  The issue is timing, would you like to speak Evan.  You're typing a lot.  It would -

If you think that the letter can wait - do consideration for ALAC then so be it.  But I think as a matter of timing if you think there are issues of expediency in this then it might be necessary to send it now and then send it to ALAC. 

Wiki Markup
Avri Doria:                              Okay thank you.  I see from Sebastien that it go to ALAC and if no success send it directly with a comment that the letter can wait 24 hours.  One of the reasons I sent Tijani’s note on other than the fact her requested that it be sent on, was the fact that it contained a lot of these \[points that the group was informed immediately that there were these issues and this letter just goes beyond it.  Yes Tijani?

necessary to send it now and then send it to ALAC. 

Avri Doria:                              Okay thank you.  I see from Sebastien that it go to ALAC and if no success send it directly with a comment that the letter can wait 24 hours.  One of the reasons I sent Tijani’s note on other than the fact her requested that it be sent on, was the fact that it contained a lot of these [points that the group was informed immediately that there were these issues and this letter just goes beyond it.  Yes Tijani?

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Yes, thank you.    I support what Evan said and what Sebastien said.  We find that we need to make people informed before the public comment is published.  Because [inaudible 00:13:18] now contained but we cannot change after, it is a timing problem, and second it is easier to [inaudible 00:13:29] the proposal - the text that would be commended by the public, then use our voice as a public Wiki MarkupTijani Ben Jemaa:                    Yes, thank you.    I support what Evan said and what Sebastien said.  We find that we need to make people informed before the public comment is published.  Because \[inaudible 00:13:18\] now contained but we cannot change after, it is a timing problem, and second it is easier to \[inaudible 00:13:29\] the proposal - the text that would be commended by the public, then use our voice as a public comment.

Avri Doria:                              Thanks, I have the one comment from Sebastien, does that have a connection, basically saying that it can wait 24 hours.  I'm getting the impression that there is a bit of timing.  One approach I could take which is to send this on to ALAC and to send a preliminary copy on to the Chair of the Board Working Group saying this letter has been sent to ALAC for approval by the working group but I just wanted to give you advance information on what is being proposed.  That might be a way of doing both, but I don’t know.   Does that seem like a reasonable approach as opposed to having two letters and yes Tijani?

Avri Doria:                              Right but we as a working group, we can just suggest that.  Whereas if the ALAC decides to take the letter and put the stamp of this is ALAC advising you to do that, it's a stronger statement.  Yes Sebastien?  Yes Sebastien?

Sebastien Bachollet:                Yes I wanted to say I understand your point of view in this situation but I am the [inaudible Wiki MarkupSebastien Bachollet:                Yes I wanted to say I understand your point of view in this situation but I am the \[inaudible 00:15:30\] the comments it's not already gone because it was suppose to go the 17{^}th^ th and now we are the 19{^}th^ th and before the end of the day in US it will be published.    And I guess that it's already in the work done by staff to be published.    And I'm not sure if it's a question to be changed before then it's not a letter you need to send.    You need to send a clear message from the chair of ALAC that you don’t want a public \ [inaudible 00:16:04\] the proposal to the \ [inaudible 00:16:06\] but if you do so you have to understand and I am not talking on behalf of any leaders on this question but if you do so it may also stop the process somewhere.  

Because as a question of timing the Board and staff wait for the 17th, one of the reasons was because the comment period was up to the 16th.  And there is a lot to do before the 12 of January and there are two weeks of holidays for staff.  And the offices are closed, then I am not sure that the best way is not to leave the publication as it is and to send as soon as possible all by this group, all by ALAC a comment - a first comment - sorry the idea was wrong with the number of weeks of holidays.  I'm not sure that it's closed more time in US. unmigrated-wiki-markup

Anyhow, the question is that maybe it's better to leave the things running and you're ready to publish the first comment as soon as it's published all by this group or by ALAC because if you want to, as a document, change before it goes to comment I'm not sure where we are going.    It's - I have no \ [inaudible 00:17:37\] on what I say but it's my feeling, thank you.

Avri Doria:                              Okay thank you, well as I said that's one of the reasons why Tijani's note which was a very good statement of most of the problem, was already forwarded to the chair of the group and to Kurt.  So that much was done, they know what the issues are.  And that’s why I thought that this, which is a formal restating of them by the group and put through by ALAC as advice, yes it would have been nice if it had been able to happen before the publication but I think if it comes out immediately, at least it's there. 

I personally think that it's stronger to have the ALAC imprimatur on it if we can get it.  And given what he said we probably already missed the prepublication vote anyhow.  But I see Cheryl agreeing with that Sebastien, you still have your hand up but I suspect that’s a remnant.  Tijani, yes?unmigrated-wiki-markupyes?

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Okay thank you.  I think that the letter from the ALAC is compulsory, it's very \[inaudible Jemaa:                    Okay thank you.  I think that the letter from the ALAC is compulsory, it's very [inaudible 00:18:56\] thing to happen.    Perhaps as you said, you can send a preliminary letter saying that this is the kind of letter you will receive from ALAC to be submitted to ALAC for approval.

Avri Doria:                              Okay thanks yes that is certainly easier for me than writing two letters and I think it would serve the same purpose.  So certainly right after this meeting, if the content of the letter is approved by this group, I can certainly do that.  Should we look at the contents of the letter just to make sure that there is nothing that needs to be changed?  I can't imagine that it's perfect as it stands.  Yes Tijani. changed?  I can't imagine that it's perfect as it stands.  Yes Tijani. 

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    I've been thinking [inaudible Wiki MarkupTijani Ben Jemaa:                    I've been thinking \[inaudible 00:19:44\] sometimes you have repetition like the word \ [inaudible 00:19:50\] or something like this.    Only very few things but the letter is good.

Avri Doria:                              Thank you.  Should we take a couple of moments to look at the letter?  Let me pull it up so I'm in editing mode.  You can tell me where some of these mistakes are.  The current version is referenced in the agenda.  I did go through it this morning and fix some typos.  But I didn’t notice repetition so I must've missed it.   Those seem to be endemic to my writing and my cut and paste style of writing.  Anything in the first paragraph in terms of it being fine? 

Avri Doria:                              Okay thank you.unmigrated-wiki-markup

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Okay you have a number eight and in paragraph the make of specifically on the criteria.  There is twice \[inaudible Jemaa:                    Okay you have a number eight and in paragraph the make of specifically on the criteria.  There is twice [inaudible 00:24:35\] the word \ [inaudible 00:24:37\] is written twice.    It's almost at the end of the first paragraph, almost.  

Avri Doria:                              Oh yes thank you.

Avri Doria:                              I will run the spellchecker again.unmigrated-wiki-markup

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    \[Inaudible Jemaa:                    [Inaudible 00:25:21\].

Avri Doria:                              Okay.  I can't find reality at the moment.  Thank you very much.   I will send notification over to Olivier who asked for it to be in a Wiki and let him know that it is in the Wiki that this group has agreed with presenting it to the ALAC with a recommendation that they send it on as advice.  I will send a copy to Kurt and to Chris Disspain who is the chair of the board group saying that - just notifying them that the working group has proposed to ALAC sending this letter and to give them advanced notice of it. 

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              I haven’t seen it if it's been set up. unmigrated-wiki-markup 

Avri Doria:                              Okay so that one remains a pending issue.  And I said at the last meeting that I would make sure that it was setup by this week and then I got bogged down in preliminary support implementation program comments and did not live up to my promise.  I will work on making sure it's done by our next meeting.  It’s an action item \[inaudible 00:36:38\].    I don’t think there are any other action items that have not already been covered.  Can someone from the staff, Heidi perhaps remind me if I'm forgetting Doria:                              Okay so that one remains a pending issue.  And I said at the last meeting that I would make sure that it was setup by this week and then I got bogged down in preliminary support implementation program comments and did not live up to my promise.  I will work on making sure it's done by our next meeting.  It’s an action item [inaudible 00:36:38].    I don’t think there are any other action items that have not already been covered.  Can someone from the staff, Heidi perhaps remind me if I'm forgetting anything?

Heidi Ulrich:                           If we could go back to recording of application and implementation issues, is that Wiki page to be setup by At-Large staff or is it staff of the Preliminary Support Implementation Program staff?

Evan Leibovitch:                     Okay Cheryl just to go back, since it was proposed of course it was pointed out to me that if this is done for a vote at the ALAC meeting in January that will actually be after the roll out date.  I've actually discussed with the chair the possibility of doing this as an online vote in advance of that date with the possibility of having a community conference call to discuss the issue if that’s deemed necessary, separate and apart from the general ALAC meetings, does that answer your question?unmigrated-wiki-markup

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              It does and it raises the follow up issue which is exactly how those regions which do not spend their life debating things on email lists.  Some do and some don’t and some will have already had their monthly meeting in the between now and then times. Without a community call that was well represented by all regions, it would be a challenge for the ALAC representatives to be other than acting on their own reconnaissance on these things.  But \[inaudible 00:47:21\] the ALAC on these things, that’s not my problem.  It's the ALAC’s problem just as long as the community is aware of it, that’s all.               It does and it raises the follow up issue which is exactly how those regions which do not spend their life debating things on email lists.  Some do and some don’t and some will have already had their monthly meeting in the between now and then times. Without a community call that was well represented by all regions, it would be a challenge for the ALAC representatives to be other than acting on their own reconnaissance on these things.  But [inaudible 00:47:21] the ALAC on these things, that’s not my problem.  It's the ALAC’s problem just as long as the community is aware of it, that’s all. 

Evan Leibovitch:                     Okay, understood, I mean like I said I was hoping to give a certain amount of time for this.  There is already going to be one ALAC call in the interim, in fact, happening this week.  So hopefully there will be at least enough introduction of the issue to give time for ALAC representatives to go back to their region.  I've already started this activity within the North American region and I've asked and invited the other ALAC reps to go back to their regions and do the best they can to get the mood of and feelings of their own regions as we go forward.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Well good luck on that.  The other matter I wanted to raise Avri was -Avri was -

Avri Doria:                              What [inaudible Wiki MarkupAvri Doria:                              What \[inaudible 00:48:23\] -

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              One of the earlier action items for clarification, I thought that a previous AI was a history of various ALAC statements and At-Large views on new gTLD programs.  I thought that document was what was going to be contributed by me into a Wiki page yet to be put up.  And yet when you mentioned earlier it seemed to be more specifically on - less on the history thereof and more on the objection process could you just make it clear?

Avri Doria:                              We've got to get the Wiki page up there so you can start putting it online. unmigrated-wiki-markup

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              I just have it in text form at the moment but at least there will be some stuff ready to go when it is \[inaudible               I just have it in text form at the moment but at least there will be some stuff ready to go when it is [inaudible 00:50:13\].

Avri Doria:                              Okay anyone else with any comments on anything we've talked about, especially the last item?  No, in which case with six minutes to go on the hour, I assume Cheryl that hand is a remnant?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              I don’t have anything up on my screen.            I don’t have anything up on my screen.

Avri Doria:                              Okay I will assume it's a remnant.  In which case if no one else has any points to make, I will follow through on the letter we discussed at the beginning and I wish you all a very happy two weeks of [inaudible 00:50:57] and all the other holidays that happen during this period and have a good one Wiki MarkupAvri Doria:                              Okay I will assume it's a remnant.  In which case if no one else has any points to make, I will follow through on the letter we discussed at the beginning and I wish you all a very happy two weeks of \[inaudible 00:50:57\] and all the other holidays that happen during this period and have a good one all.

-End of Recorded Material-