18:38:05 From Yesim Nazlar : Welcome to the Unaffiliated Individuals Mobilization Working Party Call taking place on Wednesday, 26 August 2020 at 16:00 UTC
18:38:14 From Yesim Nazlar : Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/ywC1C
18:38:21 From Syuzan Marukhyan : Hello everybody!
18:38:34 From Yesim Nazlar : Hi Syuzan, welcome
18:59:13 From Joanna Kulesza : Hi everyone!
18:59:26 From Roberto : Hi Joanna - and all
18:59:27 From Laura Margolis : Hello!!
18:59:34 From David Mackey : Hi Joanna - and everyone :-)
18:59:40 From Alperen Eken : Welcome all
19:00:32 From Gopal : Greetings - Dr. T V Gopal, Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, College of Engineering, Guindy Campus, Anna University, Chennai,India
19:03:27 From Roberto : Hi Alan
19:03:56 From Filina Natalia (EURALO Secretary) : Hello all!
19:04:09 From Laura Margolis : Hello Natalia!
19:04:36 From Filina Natalia (EURALO Secretary) : Hello Laura and all!-)
19:05:07 From Sarah Kiden : Hello all
19:05:21 From Patricia Akello : hello Sarah
19:05:27 From Patricia Akello : hello Everyone
19:06:08 From Justine Chew : Sorry for joining late. I stepped away to get a drink.
19:11:36 From Judith Hellerstein : So we need three people? I thought we only need 2. ALS Rep and Unaffiliated
19:12:14 From Maureen Hilyard : @Judith.. plus and ALAC member from each region
19:12:22 From Roberto : @Judith - the third is a person from the RALO Leadership
19:13:03 From Judith Hellerstein : We do not have this. I have noted to Eduardo the he needs to appoint an ALAC member
19:13:22 From Sarah Kiden : For the case of AFRALO the 2 people that were appointed were ALS members. So no individual members or ALAC members. Do we need to review this?
19:14:11 From Alan Greenberg : Sort of like Hysterical better...
19:14:13 From Judith Hellerstein : We only have 2 people appointed but we have other unaffiliated people as participants but no ALAC member
19:15:17 From Alan Greenberg : Cheryl is correct that we have no special vote, but due to age and wisdom, we are always right!
19:15:19 From Alan Greenberg : NOT!
19:15:51 From Maureen Hilyard : We did decide that ALAC or RALO leadership ..but we did want someone from the ALAC so that there was a group from the different regions who can contribute the discussions that will take place before endorsing the final outcomes of this meeting
19:16:26 From Sarah Kiden : @Maureen, we shall have to discuss this again in AFRALO. Thank you!
19:17:00 From David Mackey : Thank you Roberto, Maureen, Alan and Cheryl for bringing your collective years of experience and wisdom to our Working Party. :-)
19:17:15 From Sarah Kiden : Thank for the clarification, @Roberto!
19:17:16 From Judith Hellerstein : @maureen yes we also have to address it again
19:17:30 From Bill Jouris : If we are a group of people NOT affiliated with an ALS, where is the need to have ALS representation?
19:18:42 From Alan Greenberg : @Bill, ultimately this group makes recommendation to the ALAC and those need agreement from the RALOs, so it is important to have all groups here so we get buy-in when we go to the ALAC.
19:20:05 From Bill Jouris : @Alan, but we are not the only group making recommendations to the ALAC surely. As long as we do not represent ourselves as representing everybody, rather than just unaffiliated individuals, I don't see a problem
19:21:51 From Alan Greenberg : @Bill, unaffiliated members have a bumpy history in several RALOs. It is really important that what we propose ultimately will be accepted by all RALOs. Membership like this helps.
19:29:08 From Joanna Kulesza : +1 Roberto
19:29:20 From Cheryl Langdon-Orr : Correct Roberto, it is all about increasing and enhancing participation of these Members, in the work of At-Large in ICANN, to aid in this,it is common to set up and ensure that expectations and opportunities are well understood and effective
19:31:09 From David Mackey : Mobilization Summary: Enhance Individual Participation, Criteria for entry, Outreach, Tools, UI Skillset, Interaction between Individuals & ALSs, formalization of rules, etc — Thank you @Roberto
19:32:22 From Roberto : @David - in essence, that’s it - maybe I have forgotten something, we can add to the list
19:33:33 From Justine Chew : And some level of uniformity across RALOs.
19:34:20 From David Mackey : +1 Maureen
19:34:34 From David Mackey : Expectations are important
19:34:58 From David Mackey : Thank you all
19:35:12 From Esther Patricia Akello : very clear - thank you all
19:37:24 From Alan Greenberg : Note that work is actually done by individual people, whether they are unaffiliate or members of an ALS.
19:38:04 From Cheryl Langdon-Orr : Yup
19:38:42 From Esther Patricia Akello : True @Alan
19:39:21 From Alfredo Calderon : @Alan, that brings me to the following: Why cann’t an unfilliated member seek a membership in an local ALS? Is it because in some countries there is no represented ALs?
19:40:07 From Cheryl Langdon-Orr : Or there may be reasons why the can nt or will not join ine in a given country or area @Alfredo
19:40:21 From Judith Hellerstein : @alfredo—if they join another ALS than they are no longer unaffiliated
19:41:14 From Esther Patricia Akello : +1 @Cheryl
19:42:13 From Narine Khachatryan : Yes, Roberto, thank you for mentioning the Armenia's case with Europe!
19:42:15 From Esther Patricia Akello : In addition don't the local ALSes have a limited number of representatives.
19:42:16 From Alfredo Calderon : @Judith, that I do understand. But, what would be an ‘advantage’ of being unaffiliated versus affiliate to an ALs (local or regional).
19:42:16 From Judith Hellerstein : Yes and they may also work in the govt and feel they cannot join another group, but can join as an unaffiliated
19:43:31 From Gopal : As an Individual, I would prefer to be identified with my Employer ie. Anna University, Chennai and Institutionalize the Internet Governance. This keeps many aspects simple and the efforts voluntary. - Dr. T V Gopal, Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, College of Engineering, Guindy Campus, Anna University, Chennai,India
19:43:40 From Judith Hellerstein : @alfredo, perhaps they have a point of view that is different from the ALS they are joining and want to get across their own ideas and if they are not a primary rep for that ALS than their issues cannot be gotten across
19:45:19 From Filina Natalia (EURALO Secretary) : @Alfredo, They can be affiliated in one RALO and individual observers in another. That is the advantage-) But rare case I guess
19:45:33 From David Mackey : I think we should get agreement for each separate criteria at a time, unless there’s unanimous concept to the three criteria mentioned by Roberto
19:45:39 From Alfredo Calderon : @Judith, then as an unaffiliated member I can give an individual opinion, but how would that fit into reaching ‘consensus’?
19:45:50 From Judith Hellerstein : +1 David Mackey
19:48:16 From Alfredo Calderon : @Glenn, thank you. Your answers make sense.
19:48:20 From Esther Patricia Akello : +1 @Alan
19:48:23 From Laura Margolis : Also, There are some ALS which only have one member, what would be the difference between that and an individual user?
19:48:57 From David Mackey : @Alfredo That was Alan’s voice, not Glenn’s. I get them mixed up often myself :-)
19:49:21 From Esther Patricia Akello : Most ALSes are highly political...
19:49:25 From Alfredo Calderon : Sorry, yes @Alan.
19:50:03 From Cheryl Langdon-Orr : Laura if that is the case then the person that is the sole member in an ALS should become an UIM as the ALS would be and should be de acredited
19:50:03 From Alan Greenberg : @Laura, an ALS with only one member should not be an ALS. Currently we have so such rule, but the criteria proposed by the ALS Mobilization WP will recommend that.
19:50:16 From Narine Khachatryan : Agree with Judith's point. Joining ALSs may not be a very simple process.
19:50:21 From David Mackey : +1 Alan
19:50:25 From Alan Greenberg : The reason we have ALSes is to be able to get to their members!
19:50:41 From Laura Margolis : @Alan but there is more than one in that situation
19:51:00 From Alan Greenberg : @Laura, and we will have to deal with that.
19:51:21 From Laura Margolis : @Alan I agree!
19:51:59 From Alan Greenberg : We are not going to change the ICANN region rules, so let's not focus on that.
19:52:24 From Maureen Hilyard : @Alan I agree.. ALSes do offer an opportunity for access to more voices for our discussions
19:54:23 From Alan Greenberg : A territory CAN change regions, but the process is such that it is unlikely to happen.
19:56:46 From Alan Greenberg : In the end, I think that we decided that you can even be in the leadership and hold other roles. But you had to declare it.
19:56:59 From Narine Khachatryan : Dear @Maureen, not all ALSs share that democratic athmosphere of giving access to multiple voices. This differs from case to case...
19:57:09 From David Mackey : Humans have complex relationships - we should strive to have a set of criteria that allows for a complexity of relationships but still meets the goals of the “mobilization” for unaffiliated individuals within the At-Large community
19:59:41 From Cheryl Langdon-Orr : We could rotate through that existing slot Yes @Roberto ...sounds like a plan
19:59:54 From Gopal : We can discuss more as we progress. In my humble opinion, it is not all acceptability or otherwise of the opinions or views of the Individuals. Since, an ALS is a wholly independent organization from ICANN that is accrediated based on some rules, where possible, being with ICANN offers better generecity both on technical and other matters. - Dr. T V Gopal, Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, College of Engineering, Guindy Campus, Anna University, Chennai,India
20:00:21 From David Mackey : Thanks Roberto. Good start!
20:00:24 From Filina Natalia (EURALO Secretary) : thank Roberto and all!
20:00:24 From Laura Margolis : Thank you!
20:00:27 From Cheryl Langdon-Orr : moew nex tweek the Thaks everyone! Bye for now
20:00:38 From Narine Khachatryan : Thank you all
20:00:43 From Esther Patricia Akello : bye everyone
20:00:46 From Hanan Khatib : thank you

• No labels