Summary Notes and Action Items / MADT

25 July 2012

AG: Do we need to use the UN rules, we use these rules infrequently. I cannot remember having ever to do that with respect to the ALAC, yes with RALOs but not with the ALAC.

CLO: In dealing with the liaison and issues of representation yes we used the UN rules.

AG: ALAC meets informally and based on consensus, and I do not think to select a set of back up rules is not that onerous because we rely on those infrequently.

CLO: It depends on the quality of your chair.

We should have some sort of referential rules easy to apply and follow, so that the less experienced Chairs can pick up and understand what the expectations are.

AG: Our current rules do have the details on regular meetings and how they are held.

CLO: For administrative work there should be a set of rules easy to reference.

AG:The rudimentary rules are in place. The overall structure should be on the ROP.

TBJ: I am not sure the Chair is the only responsible of the ambiance of the meeting.

We need to foresee a situation, and we need rules to define any situation with any Chair. I do not like the link between the rules and the Chair.

AG: I am suggesting that the selection of which one of the rules is onerous because we will not be using them very often. We would not want to use them to be honest, the Robert rules are 700 something pages.

Roberts has a short version of 200 something pages.

Are we in the position to say that we can use Roberts?

So we do not have to have the discussion in every meeting.

CLO: We don't have to have incredibly detailed rules.

AG: We could discuss it, the idea as  to have the Robert rules printed as orientation material.

We will use Robert but we need to do some education and make sure that people can use it.

The ALAC ROP we should have a list of the standard actions that need to go. Foe example: what needs to be in accreditation of ALS.

Rules that involve formal processes, rules of orders,  consensus, motions, etc.

ED: In Prague Natalia mentioned that South America uses a different set of rules. Once ALAC decides what rules, do the Ralos have to follow that?

CLO: The only other set of rules are the UN rules.

We do need to do harmonization of the Regional Rules. Most probably the RALOs will need to follow this.

AG: The practice in that part of the Rules is not to refer to the rules but to include the details.

AG: This is what I understood from Sergio/Natalia.

The only time when I recall referring back to the UN rules is when there were two Chairs running.

CLO: Abstention: Our current rules are silent on abstentions.

Our rules need to be clear on that. In an ICANN Board the abstention counts as no.

AG: This issue came up in the GNSO. The rational makes a lot of sense, if you are participating in the vote, it only passes if at least 1/2 are for it.  The GNSO refers to Robert as a back up. The Board does not explicitly refer to Roberts.

ED: If we do not put some reference, if the case is that we can refer to any kind of rules.

AG: In the GNSO the Chair is given the responsibility of make a judgment call.

OCL: Whenever there is something that we look as consensus it should be clearly drafted and put in the ROP.

AG: The Chair should have discretion of making a judgment rule.

CLO: many organizations allow the Chair to have a casting vote.

This is one of the issues we need to address.

OCL: With regards to the Chair being able to cast or not a vote. There is a concern that this would affect regional balance. The Chair is still part of the Regional balance of the ALAC, this complicates things.

ACTION ITEM: Pen Holder: AG will be the pen holder in conjunction with Maureen. They will start putting something together.  This group will meet every 3 weeks.

• No labels