DSDT Summary Minutes and Action Items

29 August 2012

Participants: Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Holly Raiche,  Carlton Samuels, Rudi Vansnick, Darlene Thompson, Natalia Enciso, Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Alan Greenberg, Eduardo Diaz, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Evan Leibovitch

Apologies:  Cintra Sooknanan, Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Yaovi Atohoun

Staff: Gisella Gruber,  Heidi Ullrich, Matt Ashtiani, Silvia Vivanco

--------------

1.  Roll Call and Apologies (staff 2 min)

• Roll call was held

2. Introduction Welcome and Purpose of Call. (Meeting Chair/staff/group 5 min)

• Introduction was held

3. Review of Responsibility for Structures (Meeting Chairs/15 min) (Meeting Chairs/15 min)

• HR: The purpose of this call is to ensure that this DT is doing what it should.
  • HR: We all need to agree on structure.
  • ST: I think we could fill in the gaps and quickly finish this task.
  • HR: To be clear, I am not highlighting what the team will produce. I am asking if the 4 teams find this structure useful.
  • CLO: In the first section, the fact that the ALAC will work through things is fine.
  • ST: One of our instructions, in terms of the ALAC structure, is the structure of the ExCom. Also, other things that JJS raised.
  • AG: We need set the stage.
  • HR: The reason I came up with the structure is that it is hard to define the RoPs without having the RoPs.
  • HR: The Pen Holders should work together to combine our documents. I want to have some comfort that everyone has access to the documents we are speaking about.
  • AG: This group has a large task. The responsibility it that they create a comprehensive document that is accessible.
  • ST: The reason why I used sub-committees within ALAC RoP was because ALAC refers to the principal on committee so when we used sub committee was to refer to the ALAC sub committee. We can easily differentiate ALAC sub committee from other sub committees in other parts of ICANN and CLO's comments are critical as we factor this in the Definitions section
  • CS: Based on the template. We need to more clearly define letters, Statements, Correspondence, etc.
  • CS: For example, is perfectly comfortable with a Chair we elect acting on the general sense of the committee and delivering an opinion, both informally and formally, to the Board Chair or a Board member on our behalf without coming back to me to ask for permission!
  • AG: We need to determine responsibility. We need to apply common sense. We also need to determine how things not in the RoPs will be dealt with.
  • CLO: The various terms need to be defined consistently throughout the new documents.
  • HU: Template: https://community.icann.org/x/H4AoAg
  • OCL: We need to ensure there are enough processes so things do not fall on one person. For official communications, these need to be defined in one way or another.
  • CLO: Mechanisms include but are not limited to and give examples.
  • AG: Please capture those words from Cheryl - mechanisms include but are not limited to and give examples. at 47 minutes after the hour
  • CLO: We need to ensure that the linkages are properly put together. For example, the templates. We need to ensure that in our RoPs, anything that is being referred to is referenced.
  • ST: We should have an annotated version that delves into overall structure.
  • ST: We need to ensure that the historical structures are captures.
  • ST: Regarding rules, Holly is right. There will be overlap and we need to ensure that the specific areas of overlap are properly handled.
  • ST: The reason why I used sub-committees within ALAC RoP was because ALAC refers to the principal on committee so when we used sub committee was to refer to the ALAC sub committee.
  • CLO: out mandate it to have a shorter, more accessible, translatable document.
  • OCL: Be careful about not turning the RoP into a book. Let's stick to a lean document. Internal procedures on running day to day business should be guidelines rather than RoP material
  • ST: If you look at some of the headers that were already prepared, some of them are conduct of meetings. I suggest this is something for the meetings DT.
  • OCL: One thing I have learnt from my colleague Chairing the GNSO was that the huge number of rules and the GNSO council's propensity to make more rules for everything, is a factor of stress rather than a relief for the Chair. We reach the point where rules hinder daily business
  • ST: As a productive outcome, we should identify areas that can be left blank.
  • HR: Our job, as the scene setter, is to be clear and simple. The expectations are on the template. Can I please ask that everyone review the template?
  • RV: There are too many documents being circulating around and I'm afraid many of us are lost in what is relevant and which content should be disregarded
  • AG: Regarding the need for a lean concise document, once we have the document we can then go through it and annotate it. We can have text of the left, annotation on the right. As we can do this later, we don’t need to have it before we vote on it.
  • CLO: It would be useful if emails would be sent out when this group makes major changes.
  • ST: Once we have the headers we can plan our way forward. 

4. Review of any Overlap Points (Meeting Chairs/15 min)

• This section was not reviewed.

5. Review of Action Items (Meeting Chairs/5 min)

• This section was not reviewed

6. Next Steps  (Meeting Chairs/5 min)

• This section was not reviewed
  • No labels