REVISED SUMMARY MINUTES:

DSDT Summary Minutes and Action Items

07 August 2012

Participants: Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO), Yaovi Athoun (YA), Holly Raiche (HR), Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro (ST), Darlene Thompson (DT), Alan Greenberg (AG), Olivier Crepin (OCL), Natalia Enciso (NE), Eduardo Diaz (ED), Dev Anand Teelucksingh(DAT), Carlton Samuels (CS), Jacqueline Morris (JM)

Apologies:  Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Dev Anand Teelucksingh

Absent: Tijani Ben Jamaa, Sandra Hoferichter, Rudi Vansnick, Cintra Sooknanan, Alejandro Pisanty,

Staff: Gisella Gruber,  Heidi Ullrich, Matt Ashtiani

1. Roll Call and Apologies (Staff 1 min)

The roll call was held.

2. Introduction, Welcome and Purpose of Call. (Pen Holders/staff/group 2 min)

The call began after technical difficulties was sorted.

Penholders

Natalia Encisco, Holly Raiche and Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro have been desgnated as the pen holders.

Summary of Discussions

Sala began with a brief overview highlighting that Drafting Instructions were posted in the Sandbox. She also highlighted the need to understand that the Rules of Procedure is subject to the ICANN Bylaws. After highlighting the need to consider provisions within the Bylaws that would affect the scope of our drafting text, she pointed to the three text materials posted within the Sandbox.The material is meant to ease our drafting work. She encouraged the group not to worry about length as we can always trim things later but that it was important that we freely think and draft.

The first text with the “Whereas” clauses was designed to highlight the background behind ALAC and that it exists within a context and prescribed boundaries. This was put together for ease of those who may not wish to read the Bylaws.

The second text was a table containing current list of terms within the definitions section and there was space for comments.

The third text is on the composition of the ALAC and role of ALAC which has been imported from the Bylaws.

ST: I encourage everyone to review the document.

HR: We will work to define the variables within the text. When I asked where this info originated from, I was told it was the bylaws. So, we now need to talk about what we are doing.

ST: We need to speak on the criticla issues that we will be looking at in terms of structure.

ST: Of the 23 comments that were made, many were made without knowledge of what was in the bylaws.

YA: Advised that the definitions should not be removed from the Rules of Procedure. I think the definitions needs to have a simple, unified meaning. So much so that it can be looked up in the dictionary. We need to have the same understandings.

AG: If we feel that document needs background or history, that can be in an appendix. I agree we can fix the length of the document later.

CLO: I would like to make it clear that I find Holly's text much more useful.

HR: At this stage I think we will have some mentions of the ICANN Bylaws.

HR: I think we don't need to talk about the role of ALAC and RALOs.

AG: There are two types of definition in this kind of document: (1) Terms that are defined in the flow of the document and are then capitalized, (2) Dictionary based definitions. For this type of text, we will most likely have the first kind.

ST: In terms of definitions, it is something that can be tweaked later but we should contemplate on what we will need to redefine.

CLO: We need to keep our Bylaws by our side.

AG: We need to be mindful of the Bylaws, but to not concentrate on them wholly. There is not much there in regards to us.

AG: It has been stated that delegates came from Bylaws. It is not. It comes from the UN GA Rules.

HR: We need to be certain that we use our terms consistently.

CLO: The community has already established the term rapporteur was obsolete. We should maintain this definition.

CLO: I have an issue with the words and definitions coming off of the term officer to be incorrect as wrong. This was added due to the UN Rules as well and the earlier use of these rules. The only office we need to fill - formally - is that of Chair. Also, regarding the ExCom term, we need some form of regionally balanced WG that meets between meetings.

CLO: I am reasonably comfortable with having the roles and the ALAC and RALOs taken from the ICANN Bylaws as they are already recognized there.

CLO: We know that the ALAC is 15 people, how they are elected, and so forth.

AG: That this group is working on things that overlap with other groups and our work is confined to what will be coming out from other groups and this is challenging.

HR: The next steps are the way to go, term of reference, etc.

ST: We need to work on getting volunteers at least three to monitor the “definitions” and keep track of comments made on certain definitions arising out of our draft group meeting as well as other groups. We also need to identify things that the ALAC is involved with that we should consider for our drafting purposes. An email will be sent out t enable people to volunteer.

1. Roll Call and Apologies (Staff 1 min)

The roll call was held.

2. Introduction, Welcome and Purpose of Call. (Pen Holders/staff/group 2 min)

Sala reviewed the work made in the Sanbox

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro and Natalia Enciso have been desgnated as the pen holders.

ST: I encourage everyone to review the document.

HR: We will work to define the variables within the text. When I asked where this info originated from, I was told it was the bylaws. So, we now need to talk about what we are doing.

ST: We need to speak on the criticla issues that we will be looking at in terms of structure.

ST: Of the 23 comments that were made, many were made without knowledge of what was in the bylaws.

YA: I think the definitions needs to have a simple, unified meaning. So much so that it can be looked up in the dictionary. We need to have the same understandings.

AG: If we feel that document needs background or histroy, that can be in an appendix. I agree we can fix the length of the document later.

CLO: I would like to make it clear that I find Holly's text much more useful.

HR: At this stage I think we will have some metions of the ICANN Bylaws.

HR: I think we don't need to talk about the role of ALAC and RALOs.

AG: There are two types of definition in this kind of document: (1) Terms that are defined in the flow of the document and are then capitalized, (2) Dictionary based definitions. For this type of text, we will most likely have the first kind.

ST: In terms of definitions, it is something that can be tweaked later but we should contemplate on what we will need to redefine.

CLO: We need to keep our Bylaws by our side.

AG: We need to be mindful of the Bylaws, but to not concentrate on them wholly. There is not much there in regards to us.

AG: It has been stated that delegates came from Bylaws. It is not. It comes from the UN GA Rules.

HR: We need to be certain that we use our terms consistently.

CLO: The community has already established the term rapporteur was obsolete. We should maintain this definition.

CLO: I have an isse with the words and definitions coming off of the term officer to be incorrect as wrong. This was added due to the UN Rules as well and the earlier use of these rules. The only office we need to fill - formally - is that of Chair. Also, regading the ExCom term, we need some form of regionally balanced WG that meets between meetings.

CLO: I am reasonably comfortable with having the roles and the ALAC and RALOs taken from the ICANN Bylaws as they are already recognized there.

CLO: We know that the ALAC is 15 people, how they are elecyed, and so forth.

HR: The next steps are the way to go, term of reference, etc.

• No labels