Duties and Metrics Drafting Team
Thursday 20 September 2012 at 2000 UTC
Summary Minutes and Action Items

1. Roll Call and Apologies (staff - 5 min)

• The roll call was held

2. Introduction Welcome and Purpose of Call. (meeting chair / staff / group - 10 min)

• The introduction was held.

3. Current Position Description for ALAC Members and Liaisons

• See: https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/36211743/PositionDescription-final-20091012.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1348120936968
  • HR: We need to ensure that we work through the definitions
  • CLO: These are current. This was a resolution adopted by the ALAC.
  • AG: I think it came about due to the recommendations in the external review. This was approved Oct 12-2008
  • HR: We should be cross referencing our work.
  • CLO: There is little in this document i would be changing. This document was ritten as an annex. It should be referred to by the RoPs.    
  • ED: Discussed a recent vote in LACRALO for the ALAC delegate to the NomCom.
  • HR: One thing that we forgot, if we get ...support,we are supposed to ....meetings.
  • AG: That was not part of the travel support in before. You may certainly add that to the list of possible metrics.
  • CLO: I was thinking about the reporting Holly referred to. That was an additional issue to ensure that enough people were at Meetings and reporting.
  • AG: I'll point out that we've treated the ICANN meeting as one session in the past. We could do this for individual At-Large meetings.
  • HR: Reporting back would be useful.
  • AG: Adjourned meeting. Asked that members make comments on the wiki pages.
  • AG: We have to be sure to choose the correct wording. I am introducting this now so we can be sure we did not forget something important.
  • AG: The first one is, we have all agreed that the definition of ALAC member should b more details and refined.

4. Recap of decisions of last meetings (meeting chair / group - 15 minutes)

• AG: Is the new SOI form sufficient?
  • CLO: We should ask ask that they maintain their SOIs
  • AI: Eduardo to review the SOI form and make sure it is sufficient
  • OCL: We should also not the people on WGs may inadvertantly be representing the ALAC.
  • AG: Perhpas the SOI shoudl also include languages spoken.
  • DAT: Should RALO leaders (chair, secretariat) have an SOI?
  • OCL:  do not know if this would be in the ALAC RoPs. I certainly hope that the RALOs will, and that the definition provided by Alan here would in fact include RALO leaders since they will be increasingly encouraged in taking part in WGs
  • TBJ: Term limits...???
  • AG: We have made a decision that someone can be appointed to a two year term without them being on the ALAC for two years.
  • AG: What do we do when there is a mid year vacancy. I suggest we allow the ALAC to appoint a person
  • HR: Only to the end of the original term.
  • CLO: We need to be sure that the ALAC is still mnageable.
  • AG: I agree.
  • AAG\\G: For officers and appointe
  • AG: Gender neutral pronouns.
  • CLO: I won't push on this, but gender neutral pronouns should be preferred
  • OCL: Re: masculine/feminine, in French the norm is to use "He or She" ie. the full form, with "ou" in between. It does make documents longer

5. Metrics

• AG: What metrics should we keep track of?
  • CS: I understand we need to keep the trains running on time. But I have never been a fan of "metrics" in this kind of work that says you showed up so many times, you voted so many times, there's a lad, take a pin.
  • CS: I don't how you measure input and effectiveness to the business we are commited with these kinds of numbers
  • TBJ: There ware just criteria, not metrics.
  • AG: We need numbers, absolute criteria, etc.
  • OCL: Perhaps a face-to-face workshop would be useful for this CS: This is my experience.  I'm here because I want to engage and do something. Some people come and decide that this is not their cup o tea.  They should have the good common sense to withdraw!  I will not be interested in EVERY subject.  Or, I do not believe my position is severally different from others who have declared.  Under those circumstances I may remain silent!

6. Remediation

• AG: This document has been reworked. Once I find the second version, I will post it for review.
  • AG: The threat of being removed was not necessarily on the table.
  • AG: Please reveiw the document before the next meeting

7. Review of AI's (meeting chair / staff / group - 5 min)

• This section was not covered.

8. Meeting schedule (meeting chair / group - 10 minutes)

• This section was not covered.
  • No labels