The JAS working group has now completed its Final Report which can be downloaded from the links below.

A copy of the powerpoint presentation given at the Dakar Meeting can be downloaded here.  

Proposed ALAC Resolution Regarding the JAS Workgroup Final Report

The ALAC Resolution Regarding the JAS Workgroup Final Report is a proposed motion put to the ALAC for discussion, comment and debate online from 28-Sep-2011 18:00 UTC to 04-Oct-2011 18:00 UTC.  It was prepared by the ALAC ExCom as a result of discussion on the JAS-WG Final Report at the ALAC Meeting of September 27th.

This Resolution was proposed by Evan Leibovitch and seconded by Cheryl Langdon-Orr.

Vote credentials were sent to all ALAC members entitled to Vote on this Resolution via email. At-Large Staff will directly follow up with ALAC Members who have not voted by 29-Sept-2011 18:00 UTC to determine if they were unable to vote due to their involvement in the IGF or due to other matters. At-Large Staff will also ask those who have not voted if they wish to register their vote through our proxy, paper ballot system.


WHEREAS the ALAC has long supported the requirement of reducing barriers to Top Level Domain (TLD) creation in developing economies; and

WHEREAS the ALAC has co-chartered the Joint Applicant Support Working Group (JAS WG) and welcomed the participation of many At-Large members in its activities; and

WHEREAS the ALAC has reviewed and endorsed earlier milestone reports of this Working Group; and

WHEREAS the JAS WG has produced a Final Report for consideration by the ICANN community that has been reviewed by At-Large;

RESOLVED THAT the ALAC endorses the Final Report of the JAS Working Group and urges the ICANN Board to implement its recommendations; and

RESOLVED THAT the ALAC thanks the community volunteers and ICANN staff whose work contributed - and continues to contribute - to the advancement of the JAS WG mandate.


  • Comments from the At-Large community may be added through the comment function on this wiki page.
  • As the ALAC will be discussing the JAS WG Final Report during its meeting of 27 September 2011, please submit your comments prior to that date.
  • Comments will be accepted in English, French and Spanish.

Final Result

With 14 out of 15 ALAC Members having voted on the ALAC Resolution Regarding the JAS Workgroup Final Report, we can confirm that the result is quorate.


Question: Do you support the ratification of the ALAC Resolution Regarding the JAS Workgroup Final Report for communication to the ICANN Board?


Number of voters: 14 · Group size: 15 · Percentage voted: 93.33

Yes: 14 (100.00%) 

No: 0 (0.00%)

Abstain: 0 (0.00%)


  • We can confirm that the following ALAC members voted in favor of the Resolution: Oliviér Crepin-Leblond, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Carlton Samuels, Evan Leibovitch, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Ganesh Kumar, Mohamed El Bashir, Gareth Shearman, Dave Kissoondoyal, Sylvia Herlein Leite, James Seng, Sandra Hoferichter, Jean-Jacques Subrenat, Sergio Salinas Porto. 
  • We can confirm that the following ALAC members did not participate in the balloting: Edmon Chung
  • You may review the results independently under:
  • All closed ALAC votes may be reviewed under:


  • No labels



    Dear Olivier:

    With this message and with the agreement of the co-Chair Rafik Dammak, I am committing the Final Report of the JAS WG to your care and attention in your capacity as Chair of the ALAC.

    We have shared the report in both pdf and WORD formats for ease of use and possible forward action.

    My co-Chair and I would wish to record our profound thanks and appreciation to the Staff members - Seth Greene, Robert Hoggarth, Wendy Profit, Gisella Gruber-White, Karla Valente and Karen Lentz - for their hard work in producing it.  And a special thanks to Kurt Pritz and Daniel Halloran for facilitating the process. 

    Kind regards,

    Carlton Samuels


      Dear Carlton,

      thank you very much for your kind message. I have sent instructions for At-Large staff to create an At-Large WIKI space to download the report from and to collect At-Large comments. As soon as this is up and running, I expect that staff will publicise this to the At-Large community.

      I would like to thank you and Rafik for the extraordinary amount of work you've produced in Chairing this challenging process, with so little time on your hands. May I also join you in thanking the members of staff you have mentioned in your message. They have all produced an incredible amount of work in an accelerated time frame for this report to be ready in time. 

      My appreciation also goes to Stéphane van Gelder and the gNSO Council for allowing some flexibility in the time-line of their approval process. This breath of fresh air, I believe, has had a very positive impact which will be recognized by all.

      Finally, and bearing the above, on behalf of the At-Large Advisory Committee, I would also like to thank the whole JAS working group including its drafting teams for being so responsive to the Internet Community. A new gTLD process without an applicant support program proposal would have been completely inconceivable and unwise for ICANN. The work of the Joint Applicant Support Working Group stands as a testimony of bottom-up consensus, a proof that such a process can work under pressure, a witness that when Standing Organisations, Advisory Committees and Staff work in symbiosis, there is no mountain high enough that will stand in our way. The ICANN Board should feel gratified to tap such talent in its volunteers and Staff.

      Please be so kind to convey these words to all concerned. Well done everyone!

      Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond

      ALAC Chair

      1. I'd like to give a loud "Here Here!"  in support of the Complements and Thanks  to the extraordinary Staff support we were provided with from the ALAC Chair and Co-Chairs of the WG I also want to thank ALL the volunteers from the ICANN Community  that have worked so long and dilligently on this important matter, under some extraordinary and demanding 'time of project' limitations and requirements... I personally believe the work done by this Joint WG and the contribution it can make to the new gTLD's program we are now undertaking, could be and SHOULD be coinsidered by our ICANN Community as 'Landmark'...