Yesim Nazlar: (12/5/2018 15:06) Welcome to the At-Large Consolidated Policy Working Group (CPWG) Call taking place on Wednesday, 05 December 2018 at 13:00 UTC

Yesim Nazlar: (15:06) Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/pwD_BQ

Evin Erdogdu: (15:44) Hello all, welcome

Abdalmonem Galila ( Egypt ): (15:45) Hello Evin

Evin Erdogdu: (15:50) Hi Abdalmonem!

Maureen Hilyard: (15:56) Hi everyone - using chat only today

Evin Erdogdu: (15:56) Hello Maureen, welcome and noted.

hadia Elminiawi: (15:59) hello all

Alberto Soto: (16:00) Hello eveyone froBuenos Aires!

Abdalmonem Galila ( Egypt ): (16:02) Hello Alberto  from Egypt

Abdalmonem Galila ( Egypt ): (16:02) No problem to wait couple of minutes

Lilian Ivette De Luque: (16:03) Hello Alberto and Abdalmonem and all

Abdalmonem Galila ( Egypt ): (16:04) @Lilian my boss, pleased to meet you every webinar

Alberto Soto: (16:06) Hola Lilian!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (16:07) Hi all sorry to be late I was in a call with the GAC

Yesim Nazlar: (16:08) Welcome Cheryl, we've just started

Abdalmonem Galila ( Egypt ): (16:09) <Comment>I think it is importnat to have an organization field if the domain name owned by an organization only not by user</Comment>

Abdalmonem Galila ( Egypt ): (16:11) <Comment> May be optional if the domain owned by user </Comment>

Holly Raiche: (16:11) If it's optional, I agree with Marita - I don't see a problem

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (16:12) Important to show our view though and clearly Back what Alan and Hadia have obviously been saying

Jonathan Zuck: (16:13) Sounds like a "give an inch take a mile" kind of situation

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (16:15) not a whole lot

A-Eduardo Diaz: (16:15) But if optional people may or may not put anything there.

A-Eduardo Diaz: (16:15) So it is a flush

hadia Elminiawi: (16:16) the EPDB recently released guidelines on the geographical reach of GDPR. See, https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__edpb.europa.eu_our-2Dwork-2Dtools_public-2Dconsultations_2018_guidelines-2D32018-2Dterritorial-2Dscope-2Dgdpr-2Darticle-2D3-5Fen&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=mrDeztziKLa7gZqGADzxcnHA3QXmXYsnChWYBR4NElI&m=-K8EVD3CiKA0lEpzTAs4YRVQjgFX_8NUOT-JDWErNF0&s=ifcCKLgAlE4yzXW4zz5XyyRNnMbUvMnmjJnuj4vG32E&e= and https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__edpb.europa.eu_sites_edpb_files_consultation_edpb-5Fguidelines-5F3-5F2018-5Fterritorial-5Fscope-5Fen.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=mrDeztziKLa7gZqGADzxcnHA3QXmXYsnChWYBR4NElI&m=-K8EVD3CiKA0lEpzTAs4YRVQjgFX_8NUOT-JDWErNF0&s=emKxO03zbSw8uPZCyFzwfJ-ycDQugnDONMEs0mWdLbE&e= .

Maureen Hilyard: (16:18) Hadia are these the articles that Alan is referring to?

hadia Elminiawi: (16:18) yes

Maureen Hilyard: (16:18) thank you

Lilian Ivette De Luque: (16:19) thanks Hadia for to share

hadia Elminiawi: (16:19) you are most welcome

Jonathan Zuck: (16:20) let's do it!

Jonathan Zuck: (16:21) I'm a fan of supporting the SSAC

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (16:22) :-) @Marita

Jonathan Zuck: (16:23) It's not our job to eliminate all liability from the contracted parties

hadia Elminiawi: (16:23) The guidelines in relation to the geographical reach were released on 16 November 2018 by the EDPB

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (16:24) I think that a dark whois - ie. with no information whatsoever about the registrant, will definitely not fly with the GAC

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (16:25) nor any government out there

Jonathan Zuck: (16:26) agree

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (16:26) I have concerns that if the EPDP ends up with a completely anonymous whois, ths is going to discredit ICANN altogether, especially in the age of terrorism, hate speech, fake news etc. the current emphasis is aout trust, and anonymous domain names are definitely not trustful

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (16:26) some people on the EPDP need to live in the real world.

Abdalmonem Galila ( Egypt ): (16:27) agree with Olivier

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (16:28) and Thanks Alan.Hadia

hadia Elminiawi: (16:29) @Olivier the registries and registrars now have the opportunity to make policy along with ICANN in relation to the laws and regulations if they fail to do that they need to remember Macron's statement - others will do attempt to take over

Maureen Hilyard: (16:29) Yes we can hear you Justine

hadia Elminiawi: (16:29) we hear you well justine

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (16:32) @Hadia: I do not care if Registries and Registrars end up ebing regulated nationally in each country. What I object to is the discreditation of ICANN. If we do not fight tooth and nail, if we fail, then it's ICANN that will pay the price, because none of us can reasonably stand in front of a government and say that the multistakeholder model works and produces rational results that defend Internet users

Yesim Nazlar: (16:32) You may find the presentation here: https://community.icann.org/x/pwD_BQ

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (16:32) the irresponsible attitude of the few is pulling everything down

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (16:37) Yes that is an intreging idea  I personally find it apealing though it still means deep pockets helps

Holly Raiche: (16:38) Agree with CLO - in the end, it is about deep pockets.  However, JZ making some good points.

Maureen Hilyard: (16:38) I agree Cheryl

Evin Erdogdu: (16:38) Sure Justine

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (16:38) But I note we had not got to that 'Other types of Actions  yet JZ ;-)

Holly Raiche: (16:39) I note the point that most are setled by negotiations - which is preferable?

Jonathan Zuck: (16:39) it's on the slide

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (16:40) but we were only up to 2.1.c.2

Holly Raiche: (16:40) The issue with random draws is that there can not then be consideration of the merits of applicants

Jonathan Zuck: (16:43) the vickery auction would only take place AFTER other types of evalutation have failed to address the contention

Marita Moll: (16:43)  re: vicary -- I do find it intriging as well -- as a last resort -- rather than the regular action route

Jonathan Zuck: (16:44) it's still a last resort but the numbers are submitted up front and the money goes to ICANN

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (16:44) These are all methods for Last Resort

Evin Erdogdu: (16:45) Thank you and noted @Justine, we will also have the transcript and recording circulated after the call.

Jonathan Zuck: (16:47) everything favors money except the specific exceptions we come up with such as CPE, etc.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (16:47) have to leave the call - will review the transcript

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (16:47) take care all

Holly Raiche: (16:47) I thought you were saying auctions as a LAST resort.  Are you asking for other allocation methods BEFORE auctions?

Yesim Nazlar: (16:47) Thanks for joining Dev

Jonathan Zuck: (16:48) yup, scary

Jonathan Zuck: (16:50) we don't want 'em

Holly Raiche: (16:51) I lilke what Justine has psoposed

Jonathan Zuck: (16:52) lets get rid of all that

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (16:52) Private auctions, in my opinion are pure business of speculation.

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (16:52) They should be disallowed altogether as they are a blatant case of "mae money fast"

Holly Raiche: (16:53) to clarify - I agree with concerns expressed and we should oppose

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (16:53) private auctions to not serve ICANN nor end users at all.

Maureen Hilyard: (16:53) It would be easy to abuse the system in private auctions.

judith hellerstein: (16:54) I agree with Olivier. we should not support private auctions

Jonathan Zuck: (16:54) the problem is enforcement. the beauty of the vickery thing is that they never get the chance to do this

Maureen Hilyard: (16:55) No support for private auctions and buying off other bidders

Jonathan Zuck: (16:55) exactly

Jonathan Zuck: (16:56) it's just a practice we don't support

Jonathan Zuck: (16:56) not abuse

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (16:57) the "make money fast" culture is exactly what we want to avoid as this does NOT serve end users

hadia Elminiawi: (16:57) +1 to not supporting private auctions

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (17:01) @Alan: what benefit to end users is there to applicants working with each other?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:02) indeed JZ

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (17:02) there are a million ways to get around a hurdle, but a direct path to speculation should be avoided

hadia Elminiawi: (17:02) I don't see any hands

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:02) I see no hand

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:03) No it is not Tijani

judith hellerstein: (17:03) I see no hands either

hadia Elminiawi: (17:03) @Tijani maybe there is a delay at your end

Alan Greenberg: (17:04) @Olivier, I think the Internet user benefits from innovative ideas and not prely allowing the richest companies to prevail. Working together has a better "smell" than just auctioning.

Jonathan Zuck: (17:06) someone need to mute their line

hadia Elminiawi: (17:06) yes justine but never mind we can hear you well

Holly Raiche: (17:07) On private resolutions, I am not convinced they are necessarily bad.  How are they detected anyway

Abdalmonem Galila ( Egypt ): (17:09) <Comment>I agree with the proposed response for Q6</COmment>

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (17:09) I am hearing Marita very well

Justine Chew: (17:11) Evin - if you can help identify consensus on any of the positions, that will be helpful, thanks,

Alan Greenberg: (17:11) @Tijani, we learned in the last round that "communities" may not be universally identifiable.

Holly Raiche: (17:12) Agree with JZ - if the  applicant has wider community support....

hadia Elminiawi: (17:13) I see what you mean Jonathan

Evin Erdogdu: (17:14) @Justine will do

Jonathan Zuck: (17:16) marita what's your topic?

Holly Raiche: (17:16) Is that an issue?

Holly Raiche: (17:17) Agree with suggested response of support

Maureen Hilyard: (17:18) Agree with the recommended positions

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (17:20) happy with that - I do not think that this is controversial

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:20) Yes a "Reply Period" makes perfect sense

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:20)  MUCH  better!!!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:21) Let's power through

Maureen Hilyard: (17:23) agree

Jonathan Zuck: (17:23) no objection

Holly Raiche: (17:25) Agree

Holly Raiche: (17:27) I hope JZ and/or Justice are also looking at the chat?

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (17:28) no objection to change request details as given on slide 18

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:31) contention not collission

A-Eduardo Diaz: (17:35) Need to moveon. Thnaks fo rthe information.

Alfredo Calderon: (17:37) need to leave. thanks for all the insights.

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (17:38) I agree with JOnathan

Maureen Hilyard: (17:38) no comment

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:38) Phew

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (17:39) This is great Justine! Thanks for working on this!

Holly Raiche: (17:39) well done Justine - plenty of work still to do but well presented

judith hellerstein: (17:39) yes. I also agree

Marita Moll: (17:39) Justine -- this is amazing work. Thank you

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:39) Huge  THANKS  for all your doing in this @Justine!

Maureen Hilyard: (17:39) Thanks Justine for this excellent work and explanation

Alberto Soto: (17:39) Thanks Justine

Maria Korniiets: (17:40) Thank you Justine!

judith hellerstein: (17:40) yes. thanks Justine for this

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:40) She is an excellent communicator as well as a quick study

Abdalmonem Galila ( Egypt ): (17:40) Thanks Justine

judith hellerstein: (17:41) yes auction proceeds is closing next week and so please send us your final comments

Justine Chew: (17:41) Next step for me is to draft properly worded responses based on consensus positions which Evin has (hopefully) captured and if not I will work something out. Will send another message to list asap.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:41) I was going to raise the IRTP question  as we SHOULD  comment

judith hellerstein: (17:41) it closes in dec. 11 and it needs to be approved beforehand

Evin Erdogdu: (17:41) Policy Status Report: Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP): https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=97847993

Justine Chew: (17:41) Are we calling for penholders?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:42) We should  and perhaps Holly might be well equiped

Holly Raiche: (17:43) I"ll have a look at the IRTP - I suspect it's about implementaiton since the policies have been discussed a couple of years ago

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:43) It is a Policy Status Report  not new POlicy

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:43) so not overly complex in nature

Holly Raiche: (17:43) (and I was part of the IRTP WG)

Evin Erdogdu: (17:43) Lol

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:44) I remember that well Holly this my suggestion ;-)

Justine Chew: (17:45) @Greg are you looking at the one on new UDRP Service Provider? ;)

Justine Chew: (17:45) Oops Greg is not on AC :(

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@clo3): (17:45) Bye for now everyone

Evin Erdogdu: (17:45) Thank you all!

Heidi Ullrich: (17:45) Thanks, all.

Alberto Soto: (17:46) Thanks. bye!!

Gordon Chillcott: (17:46) Thanks and bye for now.

• No labels