ALAC Members from EURALO selected by the RALO

2016 Open Positions (for 2016 - 2018 term):

• ALAC Representative from EURALO -  This position is currently held by Sandra Hofericher, who is eligible for re-selection. Current term ends on at the end of the 2016 AGM. New term starts at the end of the 2016 AGM through the end of the 2018 AGM.

PLEASE CLICK THE NOMINEES' NAMES FOR A COPY OF THEIR SOIs. 

Role Previously Held By

Nominee

Nominated By/Supported By

Date Accepted

Nominee's Statement (EOI)Result Term to Serve

Sandra Hofericher

Veronica Cretu

Sébastien Bachollet (nominator),

Oksana Prykhodko,

Wolfgang Kleinwächter,

Yrjö Länsipuro

Jean-Jacques Subrenat,

Christopher Wilkinson,

Olivier Crépin-Leblond,

Wolf Ludwig  

Sandra Hoferichter

10 May

Dear Olivier, colleagues - greetings and many thanks for the support as part of this dynamic exchange of emails! Dear Sebastian, thanks for the nomination! Definitely, when it comes to decision making on the candidate, it is you, the community, who should decide on who would represents the best the interests, vision, values of ALAC as part of the broader ICANN ecosystem! You know much better what are the current needs especially under the ongoing ICANN/IANA stewardship processes, and ways this is going to impact the overall developments in the years to come!  

Few words about myself, especially for those I have not met before (but more than opened to engage via a more specific Q&A, etc):

• I am  currently based in Chisinau, Moldova, where I run the Open Government      Institute, an NGO/think- tank working around the issues of good      governance, accountability, transparency and citizen engagement, among      others. 
  • Since 2012      I am a member of the civil society steering committee of the Open      Government Partnership (OGP), that brings together 69 countries as of      today. It is a very ambitious and promising international platform but      which also aims to support, encourage and motivate domestic reformers deliver      more to their citizens. 
  • ICANN is not new to me - I used to be a member of ALAC back in 2007-2008, and I am      also a former NomCom member (2012-2014). 
  • When it comes to Internet Governance - I am a former MAG member to the IGF/UN      (2011 - 2014). I guess at country level I am the only promoter of Internet      Governance debate, trying to bring the IG into the agenda of policy      makers. 
  • My  background is in Contemporary Diplomacy (MA) with the University of Malta.      My postgraduate studies are in Diplomacy and IT, with University of Malta as well (via DiploFoundation). My first degree is in pedagogy, with      Moldova State Pedagogical University
  • I worked in a number of countries around the world on issues related to quality      education, critical thinking as an international trainer of trainers (on    behalf of Open Society Foundations New York) - Nepal, Liberia,  Turkey. 
  • When it comes to the region, I have a very good network of both Govs and CSOs (Romania, Serbia, Ukraine, Georgia. Slovakia, Croatia, etc) working on      Open Government, but still very relevant for ICANN/IG as well. I am very well connected internationally/globally as well.  
  • In addition      to the above, during the past 5 years or so, I have been working as a short-term senior consultant for the World Bank on education, open      government, open data. I am actively engaged in gender equality issues, working closely on the National Strategy on Gender equality of Moldova. I  also manage few communities of practice back home including on open data      and open government. 
  • I managed  half a million grants/budgets as part of the NGO I run, teams of      experts/consultants - up to 30 +, so, also bring the experience of having worked with numerous donors/development partners among others.        

Would be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have on the above and not only!   

With many thanks,

Veronica

Veronica Cretu  2016 AGM - 2018 AGM
  Bastiaan Goslings

Bastiaan Goslings (nominator)

Johan Helsingius

Olivier Crépin-Leblond,

Wolf Ludwig

Sandra Hoferichter

9 May

After talking to Olivier, and assuming this is the place to do it, I too want to nominate myself for the ALAC Euralo seat. I have to admit that up until now I have not been very vocal within the ICANN community, mainly because of time constraints and limited resources. So no personal wiki page as of yet.

Working as the regulatory affairs spokesperson for one of the world’s largest Internet Exchanges (AMS-IX), I have attended four ICANN meetings over the last couple of years, using them mainly as important industry events for networking purposes. But since attending the ATLAS II summit on behalf of the Dutch ISOC chapter, of which I am a board member, and all the IANA transition- and accountability discussions and work that followed, I feel that I should bring something back to the community seeing the important transition phase the multistakeholder community finds itself in. I guess that now that I have the time I should make the commitment. Or at least offer to do so.

I am an economist, became an information analyst and project manager/ICT consultant, and was later also trained as a network engineer and UNIX sysadmin. Before I got into policy matters and (telecommunications’) legislation. On behalf of my employer I spend a lot of time at ministries and going to meetings and conferences, spreading the gospel of how the internet technically works and how through collaboration decisions are made and why therefore the internet has grown into the phenomenon that take we in the West now sometimes take for granted. In the Netherlands the succes has led to the setting up a year ago, and I was part of it from the start, of a new industry body, the Digital Infrastructure Netherlands platform. Which we very successfully use to propagate the message that we have something, albeit it slightly hidden, that we can build on to bring further future wealth and wellbeing for all. If we keep the right conditions in mind. And on the other hand that we cannot do it alone and we need all stakeholders on board to battle the negative side effects of a well functioning reliable, cheap and neutral internet infrastructure (e.g. abuse).

I am the liaison for AMS-IX in the GSMA and have participated there in policy development related to the interconnection of mobile networks, especially when it comes to (international) roaming. I continue to be surprised at the completely different mindset and business approach of the traditional telco’s, as opposed to the way IP-networks interconnect and peer with each other to deliver internet services and create end-to-end connectivity for end-users and devices. But being aware of this definitely helps when providing Dutch governmental representatives input when they’re preparing for their next ITU gathering.

A bit of further context: in the ISOC Netherlands board I am responsible for the dossiers related to (new legislation) for Dutch LEA’s and intelligence agencies, and I participate in public private cooperations to mitigate the impact of botnets as well as to improve the use of open and secure internet standards (DNSSEC, TLS, DKIM, IPv6 etc). I works closely with the RIPE community (the NCC is also based in Amsterdam), and I am the chair of the Euro-IX Regulatory Affairs Working Group (Euro-IX is an association for Internet Exchanges). I (co)organised and hosted workshops at global and national IGFs. I interact a lot with civil servants, politicians, NRA’s, LEA’s, and private sector stakeholders. 

The business of the non profit company I work is neutral and very technology oriented. Some argue that the same applies to ICANN when you look purely at its technical remit. While that might sound reasonable, I sincerely believe that the interests of end-users, i.e. what ALAC stands for, requires continued and probably even stronger future focus as commercial and political pressures are becoming more and more dominant. To be honest I would need to catch up on the specifics of current relevant ICANN policy developments. However topics and liaison roles where I think I could add value within the ALAC are a.o. with regard to interests of LEA’s and the GAC, the topic of Human Rights (I did some work with fellow ISOC Netherlands colleague Niels ten Oever in the CCWG on Human Rights), the role and liability of intermediaries and connectivity providers (ISPCP), as well as technical and security related discussions.

So far for this introduction. Thanks for accepting my nomination, and I’m sure you will let me know in case you have any questions.

With kind regards,

Bastiaan Goslings

Selection Schedule for ALAC  Members from EURALO:

• 26 April - Announcement of call for nominations and Nominee's Statement.*
  • 26 April - 9 May  - Nomination period (nominations accepted for 10 working days).
  • 16 May - Deadline for nomination acceptances
  • 18 May - 25 May 2015 - Elections (If required, elections will begin no later than one week after the deadline for nomination acceptances and end no later than two weeks after that deadline).
  • 2016 AGM [ ICANN 57 ] - Newly elected ALAC representative shall be seated on the ALAC at the ALAC Wrap Up Session during the 2016 AGM.

*NOTES ON NOMINATIONS 

1. All nominees are expected to submit a brief statement explaining why they believe they are a suitable candidate and must also complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).
  2. No one who is currently serving on the Nominating Committee may be nominated for the ALAC. See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en#VII-8

ALAC Voting Delegates to the NomCom for 2016-2018

ICANN's Nominating Committee asked the At-Large Advisory Committee to submit a list with ALAC delegates from each of ICANN's five geographic regions. Voting members of the NomCom are appointed for a one year term, starting after the close of the Annual General Meeting 2015 and ending at the close of the Annual General Meeting 2016, and may be re-appointed for a further term of one year subject to the requirement under the ICANN Bylaws

• XI-2.4.e The ALAC shall, after consultation with each RALO, annually appoint five voting delegates (no two of whom shall be citizens of      countries in the same Geographic Region, as defined according to  Section 5 of Article VI to the Nominating Committee.

Role Previously Held By

Nominee

Nominated by / Supported By

Date Accepted

Nominee's Statement
Regional Candidate(s) Recommended to the ALAC
ALAC Appointed Delegates to the NomCom

Yrjö Lansipuro  (not eligible for re-selection)

Sandra Hofericher

Sandra Hofericher (self nomination)

supporters:

Yrjö Lansipuro    

Eric Tomson,

Werner Hülsmann,

Wolf Ludwig

Olivier Crepin-Leblond,

Carolin Silbernagl,

Oksana Prykhodko

03 May 2016

I have been at the ALAC for almost 6 years now. I joined at a time when I knew only little about ALAC and ICANN and the learning curve was steep over the last couple of years. I feel it is time for a change and a new EURALO member should take a seat at the ALAC now.

The ALAC itself has also evolved over the years; it has become a much more powerful committee than at the time when I joined. This is the result of the ongoing efforts of some very active members and EURALO (with for instance Olivier as the chair for 4 years) was an key contributor here. We need more of such committed members to keep up this positive development.

I believe my biggest contribution during my term was the establishment of the Academy (which is not yet in the place where it should be) and the Leadership Programme. My intention was always to facilitate the ground for a better exchange between the committees at ICANN, i.e. breaking silos. My experience from EuroDIG and the Summer School (EuroSSIG) where I learned to facilitate a multistakeholder environment was the basis for all my activities.My experience in making selections based on CVs for the Summer School will help to read applications for positions at  ICANN committes.

I would now like to contribute at another place within ICANN and put my name forward to become the next EURALO representative at the NomCom. I believe with the above mentioned background and activities I could take up from there - supporting the ICANN community to become an even better place for an exchange among different actors.

I would kindly like to ask EURALO members for their support.

Yours Sandra

Sandra Hofericher  Sandra Hofericher

Selection Schedule for 2016 ALAC Delegates to the NomCom

• 26 April - Announcement of call for nominations and Nominee's Statement.*
  • 26 April - 9 May  - Nomination period (nominations accepted for 10 working days).
  • 16 May - Deadline for nomination acceptances
  • 18 May - 25 May 2016 - Elections (If required, elections will begin no later than one week after the deadline for nomination acceptances and end no later than two weeks after that deadline). 
  • 27 May - Start of NomCom Delegate selection by ALAC
  • 2016 AGM [ ICANN 57 ]  - Newly elected ALAC representative shall be seated on the ALAC at the ALAC Wrap Up Session during the 2016 AGM.

*NOTES ON NOMINATIONS 

1. All nominees are expected to submit a brief statement explaining why they believe they are a suitable candidate and must also complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).
  2. No one who is currently serving on the Nominating Committee may be nominated for the ALAC. See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en#VII-8

• No labels

2 Comments

1. Posted  by staff on behalf of Veronica Cretu - email sent to the  list Thu 5/12/2016 2:37 AM

Dear Olivier, colleagues! Greetings and many thanks for the invite to share some reflections as per your Qs.

My brief reflections are as follows:

Q1. what topics are you most interested in ICANN?

Currently, I am very keen to see how the future global stewardship of some key technical Internet functions will continue affecting and impacting the developments of the Internet. New gTLDs is of my interest along with ways registrars and registries might change the way they run their business as a result of the new stewardship model, role of different stakeholders in this process, and how to bring more local voices into the processes.

Q2. As an ALAC representative, some focus more on capacity building and organisation building. Others focus more on policy. Which focus will you have: Capacity Building or Policy?

I bring several years of experience related to capacity building. I have designed capacity building programs, curriculums, teaching and learning practices behind, delivery methods, measuring results, phase-out, etc. I conducted cp programs with senior government officials, policy makers, CSOs, etc on a broad range of issues including Internet Governance, Open Government, Open Data, others. I have also provided several trainings on organizational development to different organizations in the country.

P.S. back in 2007/8 i was the one to introduce OneDAY for ALAC (when I was an ALAC member), as I thought it was a way to improve the efficiency of ALAC itself (just giving it as an example related to organizational building)   I do also bring specific experience related to policy making, as I was part of both policy making processes as well as facilitated multistakeholder, open data/open government data driven policy making on issues related to E-Government/governance, Open Government, Gender Equality, Education, social accountability.   

So, I could be well involved in both, depending on relevance, importance, and specific needs!  

Q3. If there was one thing that you'd like to achieve when sitting on the ALAC, what would it be?

Co-creating/co-contributing to ICANN related policies processes together with the community-at-large (through capacitating them with co-creating methodologies) via using ICANN related/generated open data to support more informed decision making processes, more evidenced based discussions and strategizing around the future of the Internet. 

Many thanks for your time and interest indeed!

Veronica

2. Hi Olivier, 

Thanks a lot for providing some questions to help the community ‘to get a better idea of my future focus’.

I like the ‘there is no right or wrong answer’ btw: I certainly do not have the ultimate solutions. People can often relatively easily agree>on technical specifics (hard facts, scientific evidence and numbers) but even technology is not neutral. It will always be about context, cultures, societies and individual people. I therefore find my open mind and curiosity very helpful ;-)

As I mentioned earlier I am relatively new to the ALAC, but that hopefully means I have a fresh perspective on matters and am probably less preconditioned with regard to ICANN internal politics etc then when I’d be a veteran. Which is certainly _not_ how I perceive veterans: I look very much forward to work within ALAC and with the ALS’s and learn from the enormous pool of knowledge and experience available. And the fact that because of our differences we can strengthen each other and the entire community. 

I have no personal agenda, I shall try to provide some insight and directions I’m thinking of. But these would be entirely open to discussion and I am very flexible to direct my qualities towards where they are most needed to drive the agenda of the ALAC community forward.

Q1. what topics are you most interested in ICANN? In general terms I am very interested in the importance of the operational functioning on a daily basis of ICANN because of its (rather limited) technical remit. I then think of the IANA functions and two of the four principles the NTIA [*] expressed when announcing the IANA transition: i.e. the necessary maintaining of ‘the security, stability, and resiliency of the Internet DNS’ as well the ‘openness of the Internet’.

The technical and administrative aspects of performing the IANA functions are steered by a balancing out of the different stakeholder communities’ interests within ICANN. This is only going to be more important in the future, considering the phase we’re in when it comes to the transition of the IANA oversight to the multistakeholder community. I feel that a lot of good work has been done and we are definitely on the right path. But we are not there yet, the whole world is watching, and I feel in the years to come we will see , if I may use that word, a continued powerplay where IMO commercial and political pressures are becoming more dominant as I mentioned. In itself that is not particular to ICANN, but I am convinced there is a risk that end-users’ interests will suffer because of it. And I would like to fight for those interests on behalf of ALAC. Working as a volunteer for an ALS, and I guess also because of my technical background, I tend to keep the ‘internet invariants’ [**] in mind when doing so. 

In terms of specific developments: I am very curious to see how the next generation RDS PDP pans out. A prime example IMO of how everything has to come together: commercial interests of businesses, requirements for proper technical functioning and trouble shooting, requirements of LEA’s, what governments want to control, how local data-protection legislation relates to ICANN requirements for registrars, and of course in our case what the results are for the average end-user in terms of e.g. (non) privacy. That is a topic I would like to work on within ALAC. 

I further would like to be involved in the ‘public interest’ discussions, and as I work closely with the Dutch .ccTLD registry, GAC representatives and engage with both national and international LEA’s, I can offer a liaison role towards their constituencies within ICANN on behalf of ALAC. Same goes, without saying, for the ISP’s and connectivity providers (ISPCP) and the RIR community (ASO).

Obviously I too am keen to see how the IANA transition will be effectuated and what the WS2 results will be. And to reflect on these ongoing processes on behalf of ALAC. 

Q2. As an ALAC representative, some focus more on capacity building and organisation building. Others focus more on policy. Which focus will you have: Capacity Building or Policy?

For me as a newcomer I’m inclined to say that the ‘policy’ option initially would seem more appropriate as that is where my expertise currently resides. 

(In terms of capacity building I have been involved and put a lot of >time in the sharing of experiences and best practices with regard to >the setting up and running of IXP’s and engaging and mobilising >communities to use them.)

To name an example of a challenge when it comes to capacity building: As an ALS my colleagues and me do our best to engage within ALAC, to follow discussions and participate, but we too struggle with lack of (volunteer) resources to proactively influence the very complex discussions within ICANN. This is the case for others too, as became clear during yesterday’s ‘How ALS es can be more engaged in At-Large and ICANN’ webinar. Especially when there are so many practical, urgent, local non-ICANN related challenges that require our continuous focus as an ALS. And that’s just an internal thing: how then to involve our own members and convey the relevance of what is happing in ICANN and how that affects their interests?

I definitely would want to focus on the ALS’s and how to keep them on board and involve them within ALAC, and indirectly their local/regional/national constituencies. At the end of the day it is about representation and participation: one has to feel and experience that one legitimately is speaking on behalf of someone else, aka the global end-user. This is even more important when it comes to the lesser developed countries and regions, ones that do not have the ‘luxury’ of state of the art and affordable internet infrastructure nor the resources to engage and voice the concerns of their populations. 

Q3. If there was one thing that you’d like to achieve when sitting on the ALAC, what would it be? I would hope I can have an impact for the At-Large community in terms of influencing policy making processes. I would want to engage with the other stakeholder groups and work with them together on a better future >internet for all, meanwhile demonstrating to them the importance of the ALAC role and input: to be honest I am not convinced that everyone at all times has the same positive perception of what we are trying to >achieve and how we work…

Thanks again, and with regards >Bastiaan >