Seth Greene: NARALO CHAT:  18 July 2011

avri: Hi, I haven't been sure.  Is this Adobe set up to allow listening as it is in some meetings, or does one need to dial in.  don't mind dialing in, just did not want to use that extra bandwidth if it wasn't needed.

Darlene Thompson: Avri - you have to dial in

avri: ok, thanks

Gisella Gruber-White: Avri - I will skype you the number unless you have it

beau brendler: possible agenda add: situation with ccTLD in PR

avri: thanks Gisella

Glenn McKnight: Hi ALL

Evan Leibovitch: hi

Glenn McKnight: I am sneaking away for a few minutes, can't stay too long

Evan Leibovitch: @avri .. I don't think this particular instance of AC enables audio

Evan Leibovitch: I would like to add to AOB - Toronto ICANN meeting slated for Oct 2012

Seth Greene: Beau, the link to the left (NARALO Minutes: 13 June" works.

Gisella Gruber-White: Edouardo and Gordon joined the call

Glenn McKnight: What is the mute function for the phone

avri: *6 to mute

avri: *7 to unmute

Gisella Gruber-White: Please switch the sound of your computer off or down as we hear all the skype pings ...

Gisella Gruber-White: Allan Skuce joined the call

Eric Brunner-Williams: wrt pre-reg, i volunteer to re-read and supply cautionary text.

Garth: Garth Bruen here, I think Gareth was listed twice

Glenn McKnight: As to the budget for the Survey and video, has this been  tendered?

Gisella Gruber-White: Seth Reiss has joined the call

Eduardo Diaz: Evan: I got connected using chrome. Firefox did not wanted to work.

Gisella Gruber-White: Joly McFie joined the call

Evan Leibovitch: i'm in FF

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: the consumer metrics WG is a cross-community effort between GNSO & ALAC

Eduardo Diaz: Thank you.

Eduardo Diaz: Evan: Let me know how I can join that group.

Evan Leibovitch: you just did :-)

Eric Brunner-Williams: is the scope limited to objections to strings not in the public interest?

Glenn McKnight: Budget project

Glenn McKnight: I will volunteer on the budget

Joly MacFie: I will volunteer on the video

Glenn McKnight: Me too on the video, shooting, editing, content

Eduardo Diaz: What video?

Glenn McKnight: Mentioned in the Minutes

Allan Skuce: I will volunteer for the oversight team.

Glenn McKnight: $5 K  for survey $1 K  for video

Joly MacFie: Is it a process of setting up a confluence page and a WG?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: I'd suggest an Action Item for Seth to check the process for ack/nack of expenses

Glenn McKnight: Joly we will need to fight over Sony Vega vs Adobe Premier for editing

Joly MacFie: darlen's hand is up

Seth Greene: Yes, I've got that Olivier.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: thx

Joly MacFie: joly + glenn on video

Eduardo Diaz: I am not interest in the budget group. I am interested in the objection process WG

Joly MacFie: You can edit Glenn, I'll work with you on storyboarding etc

Glenn McKnight: You mean you like the fun stuff( Grin)

Glenn McKnight: I can help with the survey but I dont want to be the only person

beau brendler: not to worry..I have a lot of survey experience and am happy to help

Allan Skuce: I would be inerested in working with the survey group.

Seth Greene: Yes, re Improvements:  That's correct, Evan.

beau brendler: anybody who wants to get started can...what we need now is to figure out what we want to survey people on, IE, what kinds of questions should be on the survey

Glenn McKnight: We can use Google Forms to create the categories

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: The two regions pooling resources were LACRALO & EURALO

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: which put these allocations with AFRALO

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: sound has gone

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: i'm still connected but I can't hear anything

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: back

Seth Greene: At-Large ideas for future meetings w/ Registrars, questions:

Seth Greene: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/Future+ALAC-Registrar+meetings+-+Topics%2C+ideas

Garth: Good point Eric

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: This should be taken as early work which we know will be very useful for any wider process coming up

beau brendler: agree with eric

Evan Leibovitch: I think we're beating this issue into the ground. Not all registrars are bad, just like not all in At-Large are out to get the registrars.

Evan Leibovitch: I think we're past the "don't paint everyone with the same brush" phase on both sides.

Garth: Avri, what words?

Evan Leibovitch: "registrar

Evan Leibovitch: "

Evan Leibovitch: One need look no further about problems in the other direction than to witness the visceral reaction to Garth's research.

avri: i did _not_ say the leadership was part of the problem!!! i said be careful how you talk to them.

Evan Leibovitch: If there are "good actors" who are on our side, they should be cheering Gart's work to weed out the bad ones.

Garth: Thanks Evan, I was recently called a "media whore" by one of the Registrar leadership

Alan Greenberg: I was the one that said at any given time, registrar leadership could be one of the registrars that we characterize as bad actors.

Eduardo Diaz: I will have more informationon the .pr by next time

Joly MacFie: Thanks Beau, glad you are feelin better.

Eduardo Diaz: Thanks everybody

Evan Leibovitch: And of there are legitimate problems with Garth's methods, that's totally possible -- but let's hear them in reasoned criticism rather than blanket condemnation

Allan Skuce: Cheers.

beau brendler: thanks Joly. Yeah I am off the antibiotics now and walking around.

Evan Leibovitch: By the way.... don't wait for NARALO meetings. Other working groups and At-Large efforts can use ALS participation.

Garth: I have asked various Registrars to cite what in our reports is wrong and have never received an answer.

Evan Leibovitch: You don;t need to be on ALAC -- or even a rep to NARALO -- to get involved.

Evan Leibovitch: Garth, the comon wisdom amongst registrars -- along the lines of the 'media whore' moniker -- is that you produce research designed more to get media play than to state fact. Yet, as you say, when asked to offer specific details, the answers are hard to come by

Garth: And Evan, I hear the same but more specifically they want private contacts only about these issues, but historically have not responded to private contacts.

• No labels