- ISOC Costa Rica Chapter was accepted as our 38th ALS in LACRALO.
- new ALS application received from the Writers Association of Uruguay. Regional advice pending
- Separate comments by various ALSes in LACRALO sent to the public comment on ICANN's Geographic Regions Draft Final Report ; see here and here .
- After meeting of the Costa Rica Events WG, decision to ask ICANN for funding of a series of LACRALO events in Costa Rica. was drafted and sent to ALAC.
- Call for LACRALO Costa Rica Events WG issued to list with 14 persons responding to the call. First conference call scheduled for Wed November 23 2011
- Regional advice to accept the ALS application from ISOC Costa Rica Chapter sent.
- went poorly due to interpretation issues with both English and Spanish channels not understanding each other.
- Monday November 21 2011 with new interpreters from ICANN (the same that work at ICANN conferences) went very well. Well attended call with lively discussion on the ICANN's Geographic Regions Draft Final Report and its impact on the Caribbean and discussion on LACRALO bylaw modifications as it relates to proposed diversity requirement for the ALAC representatives elected by LACRALO. A 2nd LACRALO issue call on these topics tentatively scheduled for next week.
- ALAC voted to accept the regional advice to accredit the ALS application from Ageia Densi Colombia and Ageia Densi Colombia was accepted as our 37th ALS in LACRALO
- ALS application from ISOC Costa Rica received
- LACRALO 17.10.2011 Teleconference call to discuss diversity requirement for ALAC cancelled due to lack of participation.
- one nomination was received for the LACRALO representative to ALAC - Natalia Enciso from APADIT, Paraguay. A poll was done to express support for the candidate which was extended to September 22 to September 27 (because the poll was not quorate) and the results of the poll confirmed that Natalia Enciso will be LACRALO Representative to ALAC from 2011 to 2013
- significant problems continue with the translation of emails to the LACRALO mailing list. Changes were made but emails from lac-discuss-es often does not appear on the lac-discuss-en list
- Jose Arce was elected as interim LACRALO president until April 2012, see
- two nominations were received for the preferred candidate from LACRALO to the Nominating Committee, a vote was held - see the LACRALO Delegate to NomCom 2011 page on the results
- Several attendees from LACRALO attended the pre-IGF meeting in Trinidad August 8-11 2011
- Call for candidates for LACRALO representative to ALAC issued
- LACRALO advice is to accept the ALS application from Ageia Densi Colombia
- significant problems encountered with the translation of emails to the LACRALO - entire conversations on the Spanish list not seen at all on the English list and vice versa due to the length of the emails being rejected by the Google translation engine due to the size of emails. See http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-en/2011/004222.html for a summary of the problem. This has significantly impacted discussion within LACRALO
- call for nominations for interim LACRALO president was issued, see
- call for preferred candidate from LACRALO to Nominating Committee see LACRALO Delegate to NomCom 2011 page
- Sergio and Jose Arce were the main drafters of a statement to ICANN COO re: pooling of RALO travel resources for AFRALO GA - see AFRALO Summit, GA
- Jose Arce submitted statement on Preliminary Issue Report on the UDRP - see ALAC Statement on the Preliminary Issue Report on the Current State of the UDRP
- Fatima and Natalia submitted comments on WHOIS Discussion Paper - see http://forum.icann.org/lists/whoisrt-discussion-paper/msg00024.html
- Persons from LACRALO attending the Singapore meeting in person had discussions on various LACRALO matters. See http://dl.dropbox.com/u/877052/LACRALO-conference-calls/lacralo-22-june-2011-singapore.txt for a summary of the discussions
June 2011 - Singapore
- new ALS application received from Ageia Densi Colombia in late May. Regional review is underway with regional advice to be sent to ALAC soon.
- submitted comments on the draft FY12 Operating Plan and Budget
- updated a summary for consideration by the RALOs in dealing with inactive ALSes as it relates to quorum and involvement in RALO and policy issues.
- translation of the LACRALO mailing list broke again soon after May 19, 2011 but the new translation engine was implemented in its place.
- the LACRALO chair, Andrés Piazza from AGEIA DENSI, Argentina has announced his intention to step down as chair due to work commitments. Call for candidates to serve the remainder of his term will begin by the end of June 2011
- Google Doc capturing the discussions from the regional calls and LACRALO calls since February 2011 on how to deal with inactive ALSes due to their participation/involvement in LACRALO and ICANN policy issues was posted.
- A breakdown in the existing LACRALO mailing list for 2 weeks impeded discussion of issues. The mailing list is now functioning as usual as of May 19 2011.
- LACRALO nomination period (and subsequent election) for the positions of the LACRALO President and Secretariat concluded in April 2011.
- As there was only one nomination for the LACRALO President, Andrés Piazza from AGEIA DENSI, Argentina was returned as LACRALO President for another one year term.
- For the LACRALO Secretariat, there were two candidates and a virtual General Assembly convened to conduct a online vote. The online vote was extended when one of the candidates withdrew his candidacy. The election results showed that Dev Anand Teelucksingh from Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society, Trinidad and Tobago was returned as LACRALO Secretariat for a one year term.
- Re: Testing of an improved email translation list is ongoing, with various bugs have been squashed and new functionality added by the ICANN staff responsible for implementing the new translation list. Moving to this new email list will be a priority, given the frustrations expressed by the LACRALO members regarding the existing translation list.
- Comments submitted on the US National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) Notice of Inquiry (NOI)
March 2011 - San Francisco
- LACRALO SWOT Analysis was submitted forAt-Large Improvements WT C
- Attendance at all the At-Large Improvements Work Teams A to D from Latin American and Caribbean ALSes
- Beta Testing of an improved email translation list is ongoing. Discussions were held with the ICANN staff responsible for implementing the new translation list in San Francisco.There was agreement that progress has been made.
- was announced on February 24 2011.
- Two persons, Cintra Sooknanan from TTCS and Jessel Ackbarali of ICTS volunteered to serve on behalf of LACRALO in response to the call for non-ALAC representatives from LACRALO for the ALAC's Budget and Finance Subcommittee.
- Andre Thompson, from TTCS was approved as a LACRALO representative to serve on the Joint DNS Security and Stability Analysis Working Group (DSSA WG)
- LACRALO submitted a comment to the Interim Report of Geographic Regions Review Working Group\. A statement from Caribbean ALSes .
- Several persons worked to submit
- Similar work is being done (Google Doc) on the
The draft proposals to the [LACRALO bylaws|LACRALO:LACRALO Bylaw Working Group] regarding ALS participation were discussed on the sub-regional calls in February.
Limited testing of an alternative LACRALO mailing list with machine translation has begun and ongoing.
A call for candidates for the chair and secretariat of LACRALO will be posted before the end of the month since the terms of the LACRALO representatives ends in April 2011.
With the discussion in the LACRALO bylaw working group and further discussion among several of the ALSes at the ICANN meeting in Cartagena, Colombia regarding participation of ALSes in LACRALO, it was decided by the LACRALO President and Secretariat to have :
Both of these conference calls took place before the monthly LACRALO conference call.
The agenda of these two regional conference calls :
* hear what ALSes have to say regarding their involvement in LACRALO and the way forward for improved ALS participation in LACRALO.
* what information is needed by ALSes and its members to better participate in LACRALO. A series of possible briefing calls could then be planned.
* mention of the possible LACRALO bylaw modifications to address participation in LACRALO.
* a discussion regarding the idea of possible regional balance of the ALAC representatives from LACRALO so that one ALAC Representative from an ALS from the Latin American region and one ALAC Representative from an ALS in the Caribbean region.
Several LACRALO members responded to the call for comments on the draft ICANN strategic plan 2011-2014 on the LACRALO mailing list. A Google Document was used to draft/collect comment submissions. The LACRALO comments can be viewed at theICANN Strategic Planning Development 2011 Workspace regarding ALS participation have been posted. Discussion is ongoing on the way forward.
Many persons have complained about the quality of the machine translation of the LACRALO mailing lists. There have been assurances from ICANN At-Large Staff that mechanisms are being put into place to improve this machine translation.
Four ALS Applications from the Latin America and Caribbean region were received and were accepted as ALSes in LACRALO by the ALAC:
- Fundación Incluirme
- Paraguayan Association of Information Technology Law (APADIT)
- ISOC Peru
- enRedo - Red Internacional de Diseño
José Ovidio Salgueiro was recommended by LACRALO to be our Nomination Committee Delegate from LACRALO for a 2nd term.
Four candidates submitted nominations for the LACRALO representative to serve on the ALAC for a term beginning at the end of the December 2010 ICANN meeting to the 2012 ICANN's Annual General Meeting. There was a teleconference held on August 31 2010 with the four candidates before the start of the election period. The election of the LACRALO representative to serve on the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) was completed, with Sergio Salinas Porto elected as the LACRALO representative. ALS participation in this election was high, with 28 out of 34 ALSes in LACRALO having voted in this election. This high level of online participation is a positive step in having a LACRALO virtual GA to vote on motions related to the modifications of the LACRALO Organising Documents.
A LACRALO Bylaw Working Group was created from 25 August 2010 to look at two issues:
- to increase the length of the terms of the LACRALO chair and secretariat from one year to two years and for a maximum of two consecutive terms.
- to suggest options and procedures in dealing with inactive ALSes and possible draft modifications to the LACRALO organising documents to deal with inactive ALSes in LACRALO as it relates to quorum.
The LACRALO Bylaw WG worked online via a mailing list and had 3 teleconferences in November 2010. Discussion is ongoing.
ALACRALO Cartagena Showcase Working Group was created to plan and organise a LACRALO Showcase event at the ICANN Cartagena meeting in December 2010 to:
- highlight the activites of the ALSes of LACRALO in Latin America and the Caribbean
- engage in outreach activities for regional Internet user organisations attending Cartagena.
The WG had several teleconferences in October and weekly teleconferences in November 2010. The LACRALO showcase event was held on Monday December 6, 2010.
Several persons initially responded to the call for regional persons to join the At-Large Improvements Working Teams , but attendance on actual conference calls were low with only 2 persons participating.
Two persons from LACRALO, Jacqueline Morris and James Corbin served on the At-Large Board Candidate Evaluation Committee