Terri Agnew:Welcome to the At-Large Briefing on the ALAC Response to the CCWG Accountability 3rd Draft Proposal on Wednesday, 16 December 2015 at 22:00 UTC

Terri Agnew:meeting page: https://community.icann.org/x/JI1lAw

Eve Edelson:hello all

Terri Agnew:Welcome Eve we will begin in approx 25 minutes

Eve Edelson:ok thanks

Maureen Hilyard:Hi Eve

Maureen Hilyard:Bit lonely here for a meeting that is supposed to start in 5 or so minutes

Leon Sanchez:I can listen to you loud and clear Alan

Leon Sanchez:Hello everyone!

Wafa Dahmani:hello Leon

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Indeed it is...   Terri  tell Adigo to ignore the new noises on my llin ewhen I answere  they will only last a few seconds

Leon Sanchez:My apologies for missing the IANA issues call but I, as Cheryl, was in the CCWG Webinar

Maureen Hilyard:Hi Leon and Cheryl - good previous session

Wafa Dahmani:Hello everyone

Eve Edelson:greetings & salutations

Leon Sanchez:Hi Wafa!

Leon Sanchez:Hi Maureen!

Wafa Dahmani:Hello Cheryl

Wafa Dahmani:hello Maureen

Maureen Hilyard:@Leon Is Kavouss part of At-Large :)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Hi Wafa

Wafa Dahmani:hi olivier how are you

Eve Edelson:you can call the tree a Christmas tree in NY but I suppose it increases sales if you market to everyone ;}

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I am in London & I got cut out

Eve Edelson:I am going to quit & rejoin, my audio output is not working

Leon Sanchez:@Maureen we could welcome him with open arms :-)

Maureen Hilyard::)

Leon Sanchez:I believe Adigo has been experiencing technical difficulties today

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO)::-)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):We all Know THE Chair1

Eve Edelson:ok back, test only

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Hi Eve

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):INDEED!

Eve Edelson:wow crackly

Carlton Samuels:Howdy all. We have lousy audio

Leon Sanchez:We do Carlton

Leon Sanchez:Audio has been playing games with us today in different sessions

Carlton Samuels:Howdy brother Leon

Leon Sanchez:Doing well my brother

Eve Edelson:yes

CW:GOOD EVENIN

Wafa Dahmani:yes

Alberto Soto -IIISI:yes

Leon Sanchez:and we thought it had been so easy OCL

CW:Good evening everyone, CW

Wafa Dahmani:too much noise in your line sometimes i can hardly hear you olivier

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):All good from  my POV  OCL

Carlton Samuels:Recognize Leon Sanchez and his role

Terri Agnew:Third Draft Report (published on 30 November) https://community.icann.org/x/eLRYAw

Chris LaHatte:Good morning from down under

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Hi Chris :-)

Maureen Hilyard:Hi Chris

Carlton Samuels:G'day to you Chris

Leon Sanchez:Thank you very much Carlton :-)

Chris LaHatte:+1 Carlton!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):ouch!

Eve Edelson:static

Leon Sanchez:ouch

CW:wel .... !!!!!

Eve Edelson:yes

Eve Edelson:yes I hear you Alan

Carlton Samuels:Inre GAC, they will need a overhaul of their operating protocols!

Carlton Samuels:How can they say they are participating without the changes in operating protocols adopted?

CW:Alan: IT depends a lot on the day to day vigilance and the mandate of the AC representatives.

Vernatius EZEAMA:Greetings all

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:ok understood thanks

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Well explained Alan

CW:I have reservations about some of these Recommendations. My comments are at: http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-draft-ccwg-accountability-proposal-30nov15/msg00007.html

Terri Agnew:locating line

Leon Sanchez:if we could at least get the joke :P

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:This is quite hilarious

Heidi Ullrich:Apologies for the interference.

Roberto Gaetano:we have the recording, so we can try later to have the joke translated

leah Symekher:apologies..I will need to drop out now.  Leah

Terri Agnew:goodbye Leah

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Paragraph 205 on the main Document

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Clarify that ICANN’s Mission is limited to coordinating the development and implementation of policies that are designed to ensure the stable and secure operation of the Domain Name System and are reasonably necessary to facilitate the openness, interoperability, resilience, and/or stability of the Domain Name System. Clarify that ICANN’s Mission does not include the regulation of services that use the Domain Name System Clarify that ICANN’s powers are “enumerated” – meaning that anything not articulated in the Bylaws are outside the scope of ICANN’s authority. This does not mean ICANN’s powers can never evolve

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:– but ensures that any changes will be deliberate and supported by the community.

Ariel Liang:Re the 'main document' (3rd Draft Proposal): https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/draft-ccwg-accountability-proposal-work-stream-1-recs-30nov15-en.pdf

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:yes

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:thanks

Carlton Samuels:@CW: The problem is ICANN loathes the very idea it is seen to be a regulator. It wants to be Pontius Pilate here.

Carlton Samuels:@Alan: CW is saying decis....well, he said it!

Carlton Samuels:@Alan: ICANN is NEVER judgment-free.  This is a squirrelly way to again absolve itself.

CW:Alan: Consumer Trust. Agree. Important

Carlton Samuels:ICANN financial health ...and indeed, the sustainability of the DNS, is hostage to consumer trust. Find a way to interdict the money flow...consumers keep their hands in their pockets. Money talks...bs walks!

Eve Edelson:Carlton, "Find a way to interdict the money flow.", interesting, please expand?

Chris LaHatte:Please excuse me, I have another commitment and must now leave-happy holidays to all!

Carlton Samuels:@Eve: If consumers distrust the DNS they will stop buying domain names. When they do then the origin of the funding is impacted.

Terri Agnew:goodbye Chris

Carlton Samuels:Thanks Chris. Every Good Wish

Eve Edelson:@Carlton thanks, I figured you meant that; 'interdict' has a dramatic feel, I thought maybe you meant more, thanks

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):audio is fading in and out *again*  it seems to be for many of us

Carlton Samuels:@Eve: Used in the sense of 'a way to get in between consumer as provider and ICANN as receptor

Eve Edelson:@Carlton, yes, thanks, good explanation, and good point

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):not *formally* opposed by anyione

Carlton Samuels:@Alan: Would you be willing to give your opinion of the redline issues?

Carlton Samuels:I have to cut off bottom of the hour..

Garth Graham:Basic question: I understand accountability to mean the obligation of decision-makers in authority to explain publicly, fully and fairly how they are carrying out their commonsense responsibilities.  USA has said ICANN is to account to, answer to, the global Internet community.  But, except for the role of the commitments, almost everything else in the proposal is focused on a “community” that is internal to ICANN.  Aren’t the broader global community and the created internal ICANN “empowered” community being confused?  This seems to be two parts of ICANN “explaining “ to themselves.  How does what is proposed as an internal watchdog process support ICANN in it’s obligation to explain its actions, even if those actions are self-regulating, to the global Internet community?

Carlton Samuels:Have to drop off now.  I share ALan's perspective on redlining; say it and don't go in with intent to haggle. That would be unseemly. I do not believe the ALAC must take a position on a neutered Board. Accountability, yes. But the Board may not be reduced to being lapdogs. Looking forward to the redlines, if any.

Carlton Samuels:Bye all

Terri Agnew:goodbye Carlton

Roberto Gaetano:@Seb: there was an initial attempt to state this

Garth Graham:@Ariel. Can you please alert Allan to my chat question?

Ariel Liang:@Garth - Yes will do

Wafa Dahmani:we canf hear

Wafa Dahmani:yes ok now

Eve Edelson:CW is an important concern, what is the appropriate place to mention it?

Terri Agnew:@Garth, please let me know if a dial out is needed

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Garth: there has already been strong criticism of the whole proposal including CWG IANA's proposal, as being one that keeps ICANN to act solely for its "insiders"

Garth Graham:It's an answer, and I see why it's so.  But it also bypasses the question

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Garth: your question asks  how the current proposal i accountable to the global Internet Community.  In my opinion, th only link to the global Internet community is the ALAC and some parts of the non contracted parties house of the GNSO, - that's of course the case if you don't think that contracted parties are parts of the Internet Community

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Garth: in my opinion the proposal is poor in making ICANN accountable to people outside of ICANN

Alberto Soto -IIISI:ok Alan

Garth Graham:I'd note that Fade's support of Internet Governance discussion processes as a form of global answering.

Eve Edelson:thanks, I was wondering too

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Just put up a  Yes or No Poll Ariel

Gordon Chillcott:Yes.

Eve Edelson:I may have misunderstood, Alan, I thought we were to 'vote' on the document 'as is' -- ?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:and the point Alan has been making and many of us are concerned with is that at present nobody else but the ALAC appear to be concerned about this.

Ariel Liang:working on it

Ariel Liang:one moment

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Eve: this is just a straw poll with yes/no

Sébastien:18?

CW:how are we voting?

Heidi Ullrich:@CW, using the poll to the right

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:box in bottom right corner of Adobe COnnect

Heidi Ullrich:you can indicate yes, no  or no vote

CW:But we still have Q1. Are we discussing Q2

Garth Graham:After the singularity, yes/no will be easier

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Ignore the numbering of the poll CW  it

Leon Sanchez:is a track being kept on who voted already so we don't have duplicate votes in the next briefing call?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):we are resuing the yes No  or No Vote as a template

CW:OK statemetn

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I believe so Leon

Leon Sanchez:Thanks Cheryl

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):we can always compare the attendance lists  but I suspect it is just us 'usual suspects / Members of the CCWG'  and we should be asked and expected to not vote twice

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):If we have moved past the points  perhaps  lowering your hand would be wise and efficiant to time

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):CW  your hand is still up

Garth Graham:Go broad, not narrow

Garth Graham:That's NOT it!

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Garth: could you please suggest the question?

Garth Graham:@ Olivier I thought yours was spot on

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Garth: I think that ultimately NTIA will be the judged of that.

Eve Edelson:thank you for all the time you have put into this

Eve Edelson:Fontastic

Heidi Ullrich:LOL, Eve!

Leon Sanchez:thanks everyone

Alberto Soto -IIISI:Thanks to all!! Bye!!

Maureen Hilyard:That's good, Alan :)

Wafa Dahmani:thank you Alan thank you all

Heidi Ullrich:Thanks for your participation!

Eve Edelson:bye all

Ariel Liang:Thanks All!

Maureen Hilyard:Happy birthday cheryl.. its still the 16th in the Cooks

Gordon Chillcott:Thanks, all.  Bye for now.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):bye all

Wafa Dahmani:it's 2 time to sleep :)

Gordon Chillcott:Sleep well

Wafa Dahmani:thank you

• No labels