You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 49 Next »

This call for nominations was issued on 10 April 2015 for the various elected/selected positions within NARALO. This call is being made in accordance with the NARALO Operating Principles (https://community.icann.org/x/Z44i). All nominees are expected to submit a brief statement explaining why they believe they are a suitable candidate and must also complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).

The selection procedures for Chair, Secretariat, ALAC Member and Nominating Committee (NomCom) delegate are detailed below.  If you would like to nominate someone or to put yourself forward for selection, please post on the NA-DISCUSS Mailing List (na-discuss@atlarge-lists.icann.org) - previous nominations will not be considered. 

POSITIONS

NARALO Chair: Currently held by Garth Bruen. Current term ends on 22 October 2015 at the end of the 2015 Annual General Meeting (AGM). The new term starts immediately after the end of the current term and continues until the end of the 2016 AGM.  Garth is not term limited and is eligible for re-selection.

NARALO Secretariat: Currently held by Evan Leibovitch. Current term ends on 22 October 2015 at the end of the 2015 AGM. The new term starts immediately after the end of the current term and continues until the end of the 2016 AGM.  Evan is not  term limited and is eligible for re-selection.

NARALO ALAC Representative Member: Currently held by Eduardo Diaz. Current term ends on 22 October 2015 at the end of the 2015 AGM. The new term starts immediately after the end of the current term and continues until the end of the 2017 AGM. Eduardo is  term  limited  and will need to vacate the seat. This position will need to be filled. 

NARALO 2015 NomCom Delegate: The NA delegate to the 2013 and 2014 NomCom is Louis Houle. According to NomCom rules, a delegate may serve up to two consecutive terms. Louis has served two terms. Louis  is term limited.   NARALO must recommend a new candidate to the ALAC for selection as the NA delegate.

TIMETABLE

Date                      
Event

10 April 2015

ALAC Nominations Open (from NARALO Operating Priniciples: At least once a year, on or before the First of July, or whenever a vacancy arises, the NARALO shall issue a call for nominations (including self-nominations) for members of the North American Internet community to serve on the ALAC. The call for nominations shall be open for at least 30 days. New ALAC members will be selected and announced sufficiently in advance of ICANN's annual meeting to allow them to be seated as required by Paragraph 10. Nominations other than self-nominations must be accepted within one week of the close of the nomination period.)

Other positions: The NARALO Operating Principles are less specific but are aligned with the ALAC selection.

9 May 2015

Nominations Close.

11 May 2015

NARALO Monthly Meeting – for positions where all nominees have either accepted or rejected the nomination (if required), the NARALO Chair will attempt to seek consensus on who to select.

16 May 2015

Deadline for Nomination Acceptance. Self-nominations need not be accepted.

18 May - 25 May 2015

For any position(s) where consensus was not reached during the NARALO meeting, an electronic poll of NARALO ALSes and unaffiliated members will be conducted.

October 2015

Newly selected ALAC Members and RALO leaders shall be seated at the close of the 2015 AGM on Thursday, 22nd October 2015. The newly selected NomCom Delegate will be seated when the 2016 NomCom convenes.

NARALO ALAC MEMBER

Nominee

Nominated and Supported by

Date Nominee Accepted

Nominee's StatementResults
Garth BruenEvan Leibovitch, Judith Hellerstein, Sunish Gupta   
Avri DoriaJoly MacFie, Jean Polly12 Apr 2015  

NARALO ALAC MEMBER SEAT VACATED BY GLENN MCKNIGHT

Nominee

Date Nominee Accepted

Alan Greenberg Evan Leibovitch, Sunish Gupta12 Apr 2015  

NARALO CHAIR

Nominee

Date Nominee Accepted

Glenn McKnightEvan Leibovitch10 Apr 2015

My decision to stand for the  NARALO chair position comes from careful and thoughtful analysis of the current NARALO political landscape and I believe that NARALO needs solid leadership especially with the departure of seasoned leaders leaving a substantial hole in the leadership. NARALO has its challenges and we need a clear vision and strategy to mobilize more our membership to get involved with NARALO activities. We need more active volunteers and this will require effort and dedication. 

Over the past five years I have made substantial contributions to NARALO in specific and ALAC in general from NOMCOM, Secretariat and ALAC positions, providing me a great overall perspective to the value and contributions ALAC  provides to the ICANN ecosystem. In addition, my senior position with ISOC Canada IEEE Canada provides invaluable insights. 

In closing, I believe I provide leadership, organizational skills and experience that is an essential combination for the Chair position. 

NARALO SECRETARIAT

Nominee

Date Nominee Accepted

Judith HellersteinGlenn McKnight, Joly MacFie11 April 2015

My decision to run for the Secretariat Position is to continue the work that I have been doing as acting secretariat since December 2014 when Garth took a leave of absence and also have been vice chair.  I have much experience in this area and would like to continue to serve NARALO.  As Secretariat, I have been advancing NARALO's positions and outreach both in the technology area and in the accessibility area where I have been championing the need for captions not only for those with hearing loss but also for those with limited bandwidth and who's native language is not English.  Because of my advocacy on this issue and through the work I and Glenn McKnight have done on the Technology Task Force we have made staff at ICANN aware of this need and they are working working hard to meet these goals, first with a new website and also hopefully with captioning. I hope to do more of this advocacy and outreach to different communities if you elect me as Secretariat.  I am working with Glenn McKnight to create a new template for the RALO monthly reports so that they can be more informative and also give other RALOs a template they can use to write reports. NARALO has its challenges and we need a clear vision and strategy to mobilize more our membership to get involved with NARALO activities. We need more active volunteers and this will require effort and dedication.

I believe strongly in having an open and transparent process that respects the opinions of all our members. It is only by having an open process that people can have trust that their representative will work for them and for what they believe. I will seek consensus opinion and get more of our ALSes involved in different working groups. I have managed the process of obtaining regional advice for new ALSes. I also have worked with Staff to coordinating strategic issues and also for special budget proposals. ALAC approved my submission for a special budget request to run a pilot program for captioning and I am hoping that this is approved by the budget committee. 

In closing, I believe I provide leadership, organizational skills, attention to detail and experience that is an essential combination for the Secretariat position. Here is the link to my SOI which lists the committees and groups I have been active in during my time at ICANN, Judith Hellerstein SOI

Louis HouleEduardo Diaz, Monique Chartrand, Stephanie Perrin   

NARALO 2016 NOMCOM DELEGATE

Nominee

Date Nominee Accepted

Eduardo Diaz

Alan Greenberg, Stephanie Perrin, Judith Hellerstein, Evan Leibovitch, Sunish Gupta

• No labels