Terri Agnew:Dear all, Welcome to At-Large Ad-hoc WG on the Transition of US Government Stewardship of the IANA Function on Thursday 21st August at 14:00 UTC

Terri Agnew:meeting page: https://community.icann.org/x/VgDxAg

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Mwendwa

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Hello All!

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Jean- Jacques

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:I will test my audio connection.

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Olivier

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Staff, I see we have a new layout for Adobe Connect. Looks great!

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Hello Olivier!

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier: loud and clear.

Alan Greenberg:New layout?

Fatima Cambronero:hello everyone

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Hello everyone

Roberto Gaetano:Cheryl is always ahead

judith Hellerstein:Hi All

Yasuichi Kitamura (ISOC-JP):hello, all. could i enter here on time?

Yasuichi Kitamura (ISOC-JP):sorry for hard to read my name. :)

Fatima Cambronero:Today I am the only one in the Spanish channel. Thanks to the interpreters Sabrina & Veronica :)

Terri Agnew:@Yasuichi, I even practiced before call. I will get it

Cheryl Langdon-Orr::-)

Mohamed EL Bashir:Hello everyone, hope all is fine and well

Alan Greenberg:Difficulty hearing Mohamed

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Mohamed, could you speak a bit closer to the microphone?

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Mohamed we cannot hear you very well

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:better

Gordon Chillcott:Much better

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Yes much better

Terri Agnew:Welcome Alberto Soto

Fatima Cambronero:thanks Mohamed for this update

Carlton Samuels:Howdy all

Terri Agnew:We are finding the line

Terri Agnew:Welcome Loris Taylor, Carlton Samuels, Tom Lowenhaupt,

Roberto Gaetano:+1 Alan

Mohamed EL Bashir:Agree Alan

Carlton Samuels:#Alan:  +1

Terri Agnew:Mohamed has disconnected we are dialing back out to him

Carlton Samuels:I would ask now what could the ALAC offer that would make a difference to any likely operational community proposals

Terri Agnew:Mohamed is back

Mohamed EL Bashir:Sorry i am Back

Carlton Samuels:Let's start thinking about this now and have a position that could be consistently argued by the reps

Carlton Samuels:@Mohamed: +1 on how ALAC could engage.  My preference is for an approach that 1) ALAC ewstablish a position on operational matters that it would wish to see emerge and argue for that.

Alberto Soto:Fatima, I'm too

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Carlton +1.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:indeed

Alan Greenberg:Need louder!

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Alberto, please speak closer to microphone.

Fatima Cambronero:Alberto is in the Spanish channel

Carlton Samuels:2) Our reps should decide what community we see the best traction and focus our efforts there towards adoption.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:it is the interpreter'sline that's faint

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Carlton remark 2: yes.

Carlton Samuels:We need to give our reps the time and elbow room to cultivate 'gravitas'.  Or else they will be sidelined with the glib 'this is a technical operational matter'!

Carlton Samuels:@OCL: ON your question.  This IS the basis for the political play

Avri Doria:And why just the op communities?  Becasue that is what the ICG decided.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Carlton: yes. That's why we need to have volunteers actively engaged in all the other fora (my proposal of 2 weeks ago).

Terri Agnew:We are working with interpreters about volume

Roberto Gaetano:Am I the only one who hears Olivier's voice coming and going?

Terri Agnew:I hear Olivier clearly. Roberto if you need us to dial out to you let us know

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Jean-Jacques -- we'l come onto the involvement in other groups in Agenda ITem 4

Carlton Samuels:IS everybody

Carlton Samuels:Gone

Mohamed EL Bashir:i would like to speak after Carlton

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:..And we'll be back to Mohamed afterwards

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Carlton, we can hear you thumping your desk! ;-)

Mohamed EL Bashir::-)

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Here is the NTIA Contract:

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:C.1.3 The Contractor, in the performance of its duties, must have or develop a closeconstructive working relationship with all interested and affected parties to ensure quality andsatisfactory performance of the IANA functions. The interested and affected parties include,but are not limited to, the multi-stakeholder, private sector led, bottom-up policy developmentmodel for the domain name system (DNS) that the Internet Corporation for Assigned Namesand Numbers (ICANN) represents; the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and the InternetArchitecture Board (IAB); Regional Internet Registries (RIRs); top-level domain (TLD)operators/managers (e.g., country codes and generic); governments; and the Internet usercommunity.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Carlton +1. That's why I was so insistent on changing the process, which was the only way to retain infludence.

Avri Doria:i think i agree with Carlton's point.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier, in London we had insisted on "interested AND AFFECTED" parties. But because of the chosen process, it was fairly easy for the "clients" to sideline our view.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Mohamed: yes, we managed to get that. But now we will need to make sure that, beyond the words, our input gets the same ranking/standing as that from "IANA clients".

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:+1 Jean-Jacques

Terri Agnew:Welcome Tijani Ben Jemaa

Mohamed EL Bashir:@Jean-Jacques : +1 agree, the test that how ALAC contribution will be considered in the different processes

Gordon Chillcott:Agreed, Alan, and thank youi.

Avri Doria:one thing about the CWG charter, is that wee have included IANA accountabilty as spereate from ICANN accountabilty in the charter.  Since ATLarge/ALAC is part of ICANN, won't it be particpating in the CWG?  And they are one of those submitting a plan.  So strong AL/ALAC particpation in CWG, once started may be a way to do it.

Carlton Samuels:@JJS. IMHO, the ALAC lost because some came too late to understand how those issues connect. So you never got the 'go ahead' in time. I regretted that.

Carlton Samuels:@ALan: +1 .  Yes, please. Let's move to what we want to see.

Mohamed EL Bashir:@Alan, agree ALAC need to start discussing the issues that impacts "Registrant" in the process

Roberto Gaetano:Avri: +1

Roberto Gaetano:Alan: not every issue is an issue fore everybody

Mohamed EL Bashir:naming community issue will be complex, speciallly the political sensetitivty of whom will have oversight function

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Are numbering issues an issue for end users? As somenone who's just had to pay a fortune for some IP addresses, I think so.

Avri Doria:And I think that AL, having a strong ISOC-local maakeup, should be able to particpate in the other processes.  I think that is AL/ALAC wants to incfluence it should fan out and get invovled in each of the 3 operational community efforts.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Avri +1.

Fatima Cambronero:+1 @Avri. I said the similar thing before

Avri Doria:and it should submitt it own comments on the 3 proposals.

Carlton Samuels:@AVri: +1

Avri Doria:sorry, to repeat what has already bee said.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Mohamed +1.

Fatima Cambronero:no Avri, that's OK. I reinforce your words.

Avri Doria:as i understood the ICG lan, if AL/ALAC submitts something contradictory to the proposal submitted by and OpCommunity, then the Op Community is supposed to work it out with Al/ALAC.. 

Roberto Gaetano:I did indeed submit a comment, I have mild satisfaction about the response by ICG, I think they skipped the more meaty observations

Avri Doria:... ICG plan ..

Terri Agnew:Mohamed please check your mute

Mohamed EL Bashir:i am not using phone as i am dial-out not using Adobe connect

Mohamed EL Bashir:It will be useful

judith Hellerstein:Did the chats freeze for everyone

Carlton Samuels:@JJS on GAC/ALAC 'convergence'. +1

Terri Agnew:@Judith, not for me

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:apologies I was dropped

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:ok -- back on

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Olivier, your mike not clear.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:it could be the line

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Tijani, I'm not suggesting voting on all items, only on a limited number of things, at the beginning of the ICG.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:still noisy

Yasuichi Kitamura (ISOC-JP):a little bit hard to hear

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Alan, in that case GAC members would abstain. At least we could count.

Carlton Samuels:@JJS: I truly understand why a vote and see all the reasons you provided for that position.  But I ahve to agree with Tijani that in this instance it is useful to not have winners/or losers.  Plus the disproportionate nature of the representation will require some kind of weighting.   Oooh, Alan is saying it!

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:To All: I'm NOT suggesting voting on all items. It would have been important in the early, formative stages of the ICG.

judith Hellerstein:I can not hear him through the static

Carlton Samuels:@JJS: Now that is something I could agree.  Sometimes a 'sense of the room' vote could be a very good operational tool

Terri Agnew:@Olivier, we will try calling you back again. bad connection

Mohamed EL Bashir:i have also been dropped and re-connected

Terri Agnew:Mohamed you are back on audio

Mohamed EL Bashir:the quality of conference call is bad

Mohamed EL Bashir:no, they called my phone

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier: in that case, I'm willing to bet that there will never be a vote.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:ok I am back

Alan Greenberg:Humming seems to have been an option

Yasuichi Kitamura (ISOC-JP):better.

Carlton Samuels:@Alan: Hmmmmmmm, humming eh?

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier, I've put down my hand.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:The interpreter sounds very far away. Very faint

Alberto Soto:I subscribed to all those mailing lists. I participate if I am available according to the schedules of the respective meetings.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Alberto;

Avri Doria:i will be particpating in the IETF WG

Avri Doria:yep, i am on all the list just about

Avri Doria:i am not on Arin's at this point.  I am on Ripes.  i can find out about Arin

Alberto Soto:Yes I

Alberto Soto:Yes I´

judith Hellerstein:Sorry I am over subscribed at the moment

Avri Doria:i am on the rip list.

Avri Doria:ripe list

Fatima Cambronero:we can ask in our mailing list for volunteers to other lists

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:@ Alberto see: RIR ListsAFRINIC IANA Oversight Mailing ListAPNIC IANA Oversight Mailing List?ARIN IANA Oversight Mailing List?LACNIC IANA Oversight Mailing ListRIPE IANA Oversight Mailing List?

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Under point 4 of the Agenda

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Agenda is on: https://community.icann.org/x/VgDxAg

Fatima Cambronero:@JJ I will send to you and Mohamed a summary from LACNIC when the list has updates

Alberto Soto:Ok, I'm already enrolled in Transition IANA ICANN Mailing List

Fatima Cambronero:Doodle please

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Action Items will be circulated shortly after this call

Tijani BEN JEMAA:I agree with this slot

Yasuichi Kitamura (ISOC-JP):APNIC has just started the new mailing list about this topic.

Gordon Chillcott:I would recommend a doodle poll

judith Hellerstein:doodle is always great

Gisella Gruber:I will send a Doodle now for Wed and Thurs next week

judith Hellerstein:bye all

Fatima Cambronero:thanks @Gisella

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Thank you all!

Alberto Soto:Bye all! Thanks!

Heidi Ullrich:Bye, All!

Mohamed EL Bashir:Thanks, greetings to all .. Bye

Fatima Cambronero:thanks to all. Bye

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Thank you bye

Yasuichi Kitamura (ISOC-JP):bye