You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 2 Next »

ALAC Monthly call
Thursday 20 December 2012 at 1600 UTC
Summary Minutes & Action Items

1.  Adoption of agenda; call for Any Other Business or other amendments – Olivier (2 minutes)

• The agenda was adopted

2.  Roll call and apologies – Staff (2 min)

• The roll call was held.

3.  Review of the Action Items from the ALAC Meetings in Toronto - Olivier (10 minutes)

4.  Review of current ALS applications – Olivier, Staff (5 minutes)

• Recently Accredited ALSes
    • i. (171) Connect.NYC
    • ii. (172) Nova Scotia Community Access Program
  • Organizations that are Currently undergoing the Accreditation Process
    • i. (158) ASOCIACIÓN DE ESCRIBANOS DEL URUGUAY - ALAC to begin voting shortly.
    • ii. (159) National Association for Digital Inclusion (Associação Nacional para Inclusão Digital) - ALAC to begin voting shortly.
    • iii. (166) Association Tchadienne pour la Promotion et de Développement de l'Internet au Tchad (ATPDIT) - Regional advice has been received. AFRA
    • iv. (167) Ray Services - (AFRALO) Sierra Leone - Due Diligence in progress.
    • v. (170) University Community Partnership for Social Action Research - (NARALO) ALAC to begin voting shortly.
    • vi. (173) Internet Society Philippine Chapter [PDF, 107 KB] (APRALO) - Regional advice from APRALO expected shortly.
    • vii. (174) Armenian Association for the Disabled "Pyunic" (APRALO) - Due Diligence in progress.
    • vi. (175) dotHIV - (EURALO) - Regional advice from EURALO expected shortly.
    • vii. (176) University of Library Studies and Information Technologies (UniBIT) [PDF, 117 KB] - Regional advice from EURALO expected shortly.
    • viii. (177) Swiss Privacy Foundation (SPF) - Due Diligence in progress.
    • OCL: I would like to thank everyone for his or her work behind the scenes in spreading the word.
    • OCL: Regarding application 158 and 159, new advice has been provided by LACRALO.

5.  Reports – Olivier (2 minutes)

• CLO: The ccNSO meeting has been held. It was more of an internal meeting to determine the roles within the group in relation to the annual windup.
  • CLO: The draft agenda for the Beijing meeting is now available and public.
  • CLO: As we track the countries where ccTLD operators are joining the ICANN plan, we can find the opportunity to add new structures within the At-Large community.
  • OCL: AG is currently on a GNSO call, we can ask him for an update once he has completed his call and joins up.  https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Reports
  • OCL: Our liaison is unable to join us today, but she has recently filed her report and published it on the wiki. 
  • EL: Regarding the NCSG, there has been significant collaboration between the NCSG and the Trademark Clearinghouse. It also appears that there will be a change in the NCSG Liaison to the ALAC. It looks like Rudi Vansnick will now become the Liaison, which I think is a great thing.
  • OCL: Yes, I think having Rudi will lead to a good relationship amongst our groups.
  • EL: I would also like to note that Garth has been extremely diligent in his work with Compliance.

6.  Policy Advice Development Page -- Tijani, Olivier (30 minutes)

• Recently approved ALAC Statements, Documents or Groups:
    • i. ALAC Statement on the ICANN Consolidated Meetings Strategy Proposal - the ALAC adopted on 24 November 2012 - the ALAC adopted on 24 November 2012
    • ii. ALAC Statement on the IDN Variant TLD Program – Procedure to Develop and Maintain the Label Generation Rules for the Root Zone in Respect of IDNA Labels - the ALAC adopted on 26 November 2012
    • ii. ALAC Statement on the Expired Registration Recovery Policy - the ALAC adopted on 7 December 2012
    • iii. ALAC Statement on the IDN Variant TLD Program – Interim Report Examining the User Experience Implications of Active Variant TLDs - the ALAC adopted on 13 December 2012
  • Statements currently being developed, reviewed or voted on by the ALAC
    • i. ALAC Demarche to ICANN - the ALAC to vote during this meeting (see agenda item 7)
    • OCL: I invite you all to read through this letter so we can hopefully vote on it on this call. I want to thank Wolf for assisting in the drafting of this Letter.
    • EL: I think this is important, but that it should not constitute an official form of advice.
    • YA: I support Evan's sentiments. We should also be sure to send this letter to those who were in charge of the consolidated meetings proposal.
    • CS: I fully support this letter, but I think we should not send it as formal advice but as a letter from the Chair. I think the PPC and its role should also be involved in this discussion. I suggest hat while we send the contents to the Board and the PPC Chair, we not send it as formal ALAC advice.
    • JJS: I agree with Evan, a letter is sufficient. I was a bit puzzled by what Yaovi was suggesting as the Chair should only send a letter of this magnitude unless the ALAC has agreed on it. I would also like to ask that a provision of the PPC taking on the issue as well be added to the Statement.
    • JJS: I suggest the following sentence - "Finally, you may wish to consider asking the PPC (Public Participation Committee) to invite the ALAC, or a designated representative from the ALAC, to take part in the work which will be carried out on these important issues."
    • HR:  I agree we send it as a letter.  Certainly, the issue is important - and will be more so with Beijing and the visa issues that raises. Chair to Chair, cc to Fadi and PPC.
    • AI: Olivier Crépin-Leblond is to send the ALAC demarche to  the ICANN Board Chair, CCing Fadi Chehadé and the Chair of the PPC.
    • ii. Trademark Clearinghouse "Strawman Solution" - Currently being drafted. Comment Period extended to 15 January 2013.
    • OCL: Evan and Alan are working on this Statement.
  • Currently Open Public Comments
    • i. Proposed Modification of GNSO PDP Manual to Address the Suspension of a PDP - Comment period closed 12 November 2012; Reply period closes 3 December 2012 - No Statement
    • ii. Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP) Part C Policy Development Process (PDP) Recommendations for Board Consideration - No Statement
    • iii. Expert Recommended Improvements to ICANN's Accountability Structures - No Statement
    • iv. Application for New GNSO Constituency Candidacy-"Public Internet Access/Cybercafe Ecosystem" - Comment period closed 17 November 2012; Reply period closes 17 December 2012 - No Statement
    • v. Preliminary Issue Report on the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP) Part D - Comment period closes 14 December; Reply period closes 4 January 2013 - No Statement
    • vi. At-Large White Paper on Future Challenges Entitled Making ICANN Relevant, Responsive and Respected - No Statement
    • EL: The webina went well, there were approzimately 30 participats from across the whole community. The Q&A section went quite well, but not all comments recieved were positive. A public comment from the ccNSO is expected shortly on the R3
    • vii. Consultation on IANA Secure Notification Process - Comment period closes on 10 January 2013; Reply period closes 31 January 2013.
    • AI: Olivier Crépin-Leblond to contact John Curran on this PC and ask if a Statement is necessary.
    • viii. Protection of IGO and INGO Identifiers in all gTLDs (IGO-INGO)
    • OCL: This Statement is not actually based on a PC, it is the WG asking us for our opinion.
    • EL: The GAC has sent a letter stating that this issue is implement related, the GNSO thinks it is policy related. We are following this issue and we will have something in hand for the 15 Jan 2013 deadline.
    • ix. Statement on WCIT Outcomes
    • CLO: As At-Large structures, we need to be able to engage more with our local communities and government officials
    • OCL: The draft for this Statement are coming soon.
    • x. Consultation on Internet Number Resources Performance Standards - Comment period closed 11 December; Reply period closes 7 January 2013.
    • AI: Olivier Crépin-Leblond to contact John Curran on this PC and ask if a Statement is necessary.
    • xi. Consultation on the IANA Customer Service Complaint Resolution Process. Comment period closed 18 December; Reply period closes 9 January 2013.

7.  ALAC Demarche to ICANN - Olivier (10 minutes)

• AI: Olivier Crépin-Leblond is to send the ALAC demarche to the ICANN Board Chair, CCing Fadi Chehadé and the Chair of the PPC.
  • TBJ: We need to ensure that the multi-stakeholder model is protected and that we all work together.
  • YA: Perhaps we should hold a webinar on ITU and the outcome of WCIT.
  • OCL: Should we have a webinar with Nigel in January and the final WCIT document on our WCIT space.

8. Update on the WCIT - Olivier (10 minutes)

• Olivier Crépin-Leblond gave a detailed report on his activities at the WCIT.
  • TBJ: We need to work together. The multi-stakeholder model needs to remain the model of choice.
  • YA: Should we have a webinar?
  • JJS: I think we should take the time to develop a document and have the final WCIT document on the wiki before the webinar.
  • AI: That we have a conference call on this subject, inviting Nigel, in January.
  • AI: The first Statement that Olivier drafts will address a handful of points brought up in Dubai.
  • AI: FCWG to work on a more extensive statement following up on issues raised in WCIT

9. Update from Selected At-Large Working Groups - WG Chairs (20 minutes)

• a. ALAC RoP WG and ALAC Metrics Sub-committee - Cheryl Langdon-Orr
    • CLO: The RoP Review WG, including the Metrics work, we believe that we will have a document for the ALAC to consider in the next month or so.
    • AI: CLO: ALAC and Regional List (Matt took AI)

• b. New gTLD WG - Avri Doria
    • Avri: Monthly report was submitted. We cancelled meeting in Dec.
    • I did not have a chance to get updates from key members. 
    • I was asked if the WG wanted to comment on Trademark clearing house, we declined the offer.
    • AG: Noted that he will recommend that ALAC formulate a statement.
  • c. New gTLD Review Group - Dev Anand Teelucksingh
    • AD: I formally announced that the objection period was extended. We updated the summary and we have until Jan 16th to receive comments. There has only been one comment. I sent out notifications via email.
    • AD: Question on the outreach to ALS. I was wondering has this been done? Have we reached everyone who has to be reached? I want to make sure that every ALS has the opportunity.
    • DAT: emailed all of the discussion list for all 5 RALOs and At Large world wide. I also attached the 1 page summary. So all understand the process on what has to be done.
    • AG: I think that the world has changed from when the comment was made with .Book. The comments that have surfaced indicate there is opposition to the use of generic words, we need to make comments that the ALAC has to be comfortable with the position it puts forward.
    • CLO: I think that we should make sure that the ALS has every opportunity.
  • d. At-Large Academy WG - Sandra Hoferrichter
  • e. ALAC Sub-committee on the ATRT2 - Rinalia Abdul Rahim
    • Rinalia provided an update on the RTRT2
    • Members have been elected and are regionally balanced.
    • During the meeting the committee review the mandate and reviewed the confidentiality. The committee is up to the task.
    • We are working on measurable indicators. 2 things discussed are: 1) We will require 2 additional things: confirmation of English proficiency 2) Written responses to support the process. They shall be submitted as part of the complete application.
    • Finally we will provide the ALAC updates without breaching confidentiality of our work.

10. Call for Completion of Statements of Interest - Olivier (5 minutes)

• AD: I formally announced that the objection period was extended. We updated the summary and we have until Jan 16th to receive comments. There has only been one comment. I sent out notifications via email.
  • AD: Question on the outreach to ALS. I was wondering has this been done? Have we reached everyone who has to be reached? I want to make sure that every ALS has the opportunity.
  • DAT: I emailed all of the discussion list for all 5 RALOs and At Large world wide. I also attached the 1 page summary. So all understand the process on what has to be done.
  • AG: I think that the world has changed from when the comment was made with .Book. The comments that have surfaced indicate there is opposition to the use of generic words, we need to make comments that the ALAC has to be comfortable with the position it puts forward.
  • CLO: I think that we should make sure that the ALS has every opportunity.
  • AI: Push it through the emails for each ALS.

11. At Large statement of Interest - SOI

• All members shall send their SOIs and up to date

12. AOB

• GB: Garth asked about the Australia, Sydney office and the office was closed. A registrar approached him with a complain.
  • HU: An announcement on the status of the office will be made shortly.
  • TBJ: For the next meeting in Beijing, they asked me to leave on Friday. There is no flight on Friday other than a late flight. They wanted me to pay for Saturday
  • OCL: Let us take this after the call. We should get one more night when work ends at 12:00 noon.
  • AG: The GNSO was always allowed to stay when they finished work at noon. It was a standard operating practice.
  • OCL Thanked all and wished all Happy Holidays!
  • No labels