ESADT

Monday 08 October 2012 at 1300 UTC

Summary Minutes and Action Items

1. Roll call  - Staff

2.  Yrjo:

The document Elections, Selections and appointments was reviewed.

Procedures for the election of Chair and selection of the ALAC Leadership Team

Spell out AGM first time

The election of the Chair prior to the AGM is a valuable methodology.

Avri: Will the Chair be elected by the old ALAC (outgoing)?  I think this is just wrong.

Alan G: This was agreed by the group and I do not recall strong objections.  It was a decision made by the group. The feeling was that the benefit out-weighted the disadvantages.

CLO: Chair is a 2 year appointment.

AG:The 2 year term was a requirement and it was directed.

Roosevelt: Mechanism for the transition. [inaudible].

2.1.5 A nominee......" Alan: A changed was made from the current rule.

2.1.7. Discussion of the Nominations ..

2.1.8....read out

2.1.9. ...read out

Alan: I realize that the rules are silent with regards to abstentions.

CLO: The current rules do allow for abstentions.

2.2  Ordinary Leadership

2.2.2 The Incoming Chair.......[repeats what we have in the previous sections]

2.2.4 Requirements that the nominee must fill....

2.2.5 ...read

2.2.6....read out

Alan: The wording does not presume that there will be a candidate from every region. If there is no region represented that will be addressed by the rules.

Extraordinary Elections, selections and appointments

2.3.1 Any comments?

Alan: Inclination is to be silent. It is an ALAC decision at any given point. You give the ALAC the flexibility. It may well be that the next Chair is the candidate.

there is no downsize in keeping it silent.

Tijani:  What is the harm in putting this in the rules? Nobody can say that there is no subjectivity in the election of members. There is no harm in defining a period over which we need to replace.  I propose 2 months.

Yaovi: 3 months.

AG: If vacancy is for less than 3 months, then the ALAC must not elect?

Yaovi: If for example the position is vacant for 3 weeks we can leave it, no need for election.

AG: If the period is less than, then the ALAC needs to wait?

Yaovi: Yes, exactly

AG: I can live  with it. The wording does not address when an election is not held

Tijani: We need to separate whether it is for the Chair or not. Even for a short time, we need to appoint a Chair.

Alan: Succession plan; this will be discussed later on. The group will not be chairless technically.

Yaovi: We have a 1 VC and Second VC and they take the position when the Chair is not available.

2.3.2 These paragraphs describe the procedures which are similar to what happen to ordinary elections.

Tijani: We need to be clear on the clear circumstances under which the ALAC call for election. We need to be more precise on those circumstances.

AG: In this case probably the ALAC can't act. It is hard to imagine that a meeting could be held that quickly. This is an interim replacement. I do not feel very strongly about it.

Carlton: The reason why I suggested 6 months is a combination of things.

2.3.2 14 days deadline or sooner, if you are replacing a Chair, it is a very special situation.

AG: Under the previous rules, there is no specified time.

2.3.2 [discussion over removing text deadline or sooner]

2.3.3. "for an ALAC member from the Region...."

AG: If we do not have this rule the least skilled person would be elected as Chair.

2.3.6 Covers the problem....If the incoming Chair is from a different region..." this cover the problem.

2.4.  Special Provisions

2.3.4. Evan: Was there any discussion  if there are more than 2 candidates and none receives more than 1/2 the votes? The rules do not cover that.

2.3.6: Discussion related to the word "later"

..." from the regional of the original Chair..."

Special Provisions

3. Procedures for other appointments

Consensus: If consensus is not possible....

3.2. ALAC representatives  to the Nominating Committee : This is what we agreed last time, the RALOss have a consultative role. This is out of the By-Laws. (Delete AG). Delete from the beginning.

Yaovi: I totally agree with 3.2. But the problem is if the regions cannot agree.

AG: Not sure how to respond, and we have had real situations when the Region has not been able to agree.

Yrjo: This formulation is directly from the by laws.

Tijani: This is a very critical role. We need to fix it. The By laws say that ALAC will appoint those people in consultation with the Ralo.

AG: The by laws say the ALAC shall .....to require that ALAC may feed back to Ralo, as to how it changed a recommendation. Election is done by secret ballot so I am not sure it has a lot of meaning.

Tijani: We are talking about the names. If ALAC refuse proposals by the Ralo, then the ALAC needs to give a reason to the Ralo

AG: So if the ALAC selects someone other than the person proposed by the Ralo, it should give the reasons. ?

CLO: We put it that someone from each Region will be selected in consultation with the Ralos

We need to have a fine balance to have the opportunity to have adequately qualified. We cannot have a limitation of the ALAC free choice

This has came uo several times, in cases where names have been put forward by a Ralo and the ALAC chose from a list an chose names not included in that list.

Carlton: " AFTER CONSULTATION WITH THE RALOS"

CLO: If you feel that more details and an example  is needed we could add it in an annex.

The ALAC "shall"

Carlton: It is important to be put on the Region

The MOU is between the ALS - ICANN. The Ralo exists if the ALS decide it. But ICANN geographic regions.

For the NomCom there is no requirement that the person be from an ALS or a Ralo, so it is "citizen of countries".

We did not address recall.

-----END.........

• No labels