Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the ESADT call on Monday 10 September 2012 at 1300 UTC

Gisella Gruber-White:Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/DYYoAg

avri:Is this mtg open to non group members

avri:just checking

avri:thnaks

avri:i had never heard the group announced, so was not sure. 

Alan Greenberg:All meetings are open as far as I nderstand

Yaovi Atohoun:I think we  start the call

Silvia Vivanco:Hello everyone

Nathalie  Peregrine:Dev Anand Teelucksingh has joined the call

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Hello everyone!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Hi Dev and Tiani

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:opps  no J

Tijani BEN JEMAA:hi cheryl

Nathalie  Peregrine:Hong Xue has joined the call

Hong Xue:hi.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Yes please Alan

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:re the link

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:but there will be no Rappouter

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:as a title  a Chair ia Elected then 4 others from the ALAC are appointed (1 each from the other Regions) to form  an ALAC Leadership Team  (ALT)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I suspect Alan  can respond to Roosevelt's  points 

Alan Greenberg:https://community.icann.org/x/9IAoAg for Duties and Metrics outcomes.  Red as items that needed to be discussed again, and most were last meeting. Results of that meeting will be posted shortly.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:within the ALT  it appears that 2 VC's will be recomended for appointment

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Roosevlt  the style notes fore the NEW  Rules  also recommend  we use  [boxed out / highlighted] examples to ensure  interpretation

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:of the rules is as clear and unambiguois as possible but IN 1 documenmt is my personal preference as well

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:YES  Alan  exaxtly 

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:That was meant to be linked in the Agenda  yes  Alan

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:the Master Template

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:YES  ALAN  AGAIN  why we nee simple  yet elegant rules

avri:there may also be a set of general qualifications and some specific qualifications that are per role.

Alan Greenberg:Template wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/H4AoAg

Alan Greenberg:About Bylaw mandated "elections". If we felt VERY strongly about it, the ALAC could decide to request that the Bylaws be changed.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Agree with Yrjothe Criteria is being established in  Duties and Metrics  but  the Criteria  for some things  like  be ALAC  to be selected to the ALAC Leadership Team can be reiterated  in process (in terms of  ratification required  etc.,)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Rules+of+Procedure+Modification+Proposals+Template+Workspace

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Section D2: PROCESS - ELECTIONS, SELECTIONS, AND APPOINTMENTSD1: Appointment of a ALAC Representatives to:Standing Committees of the ALACExComBudget and Financelist continues... ... .....AdHoc Committees of the ALAClist continues... ... .....ALAC Work GroupsALAC Study / Interest Groupslinks to Wiki spacesALAC Design/Drafting TeamsOther ICANN Groups and Activities external to the ALACD2: Election of the ALAC ChairD3: Selection to ICANN Board seat #15 (insert / link to section on this methodology and note the future opportunity to review and alter if desired and agreed by consensus)Dx: Other as discussed / decided by DT

Alan Greenberg:@clo that's what my shorthand link above pointed to... (ie there are not two templates - just one with two URLs!

avri:each speaker can end by telling what hands they see.

avri:I find the trend away from elections problematic.

avri:i think the issue is who votes: is it the ALAC for some thing, the RALOs for others and i hope the ALS for others.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Yes ( & 10 are huge

avri:but consensus means that few can pature as long as everyone is 'bullied' into silence.

avri:pature == capture

Yaovi Atohoun:I am disconnected

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:understood Avri  but for most ALAC appointments the electorate is only 15  so if we have that dynamic of despote control happening then the ALAC at that time is broken IMO

Nathalie  Peregrine:dialling you back Yaovi

avri:there is no reason to not do an ALAC vote on those things.  despotic is strong, but not stepping on  the strong personality's toes is sometime pervasive.

Nathalie  Peregrine:Yaovi is back on

Yaovi Atohoun:I am back

avri:i know, but Alan said we have to get rid of thsi election stuff.

avri:and CLO said that elections take too much tme, we want to use consensus

avri:and i am not talkign descriptively (necessarily) but normatively.

Alan Greenberg:I said we should not REQUIRE that all posotions are elected. That does not preven an election.

Alan Greenberg:prevent

avri:a reacall when peopla are afraid of the strong personality?

avri:yes, but strong personality wins and ballots are the only way beyond that.

Alan Greenberg:As much as I like everyone to agree with me, a good ALAC will be one wherepeople are willing to put their own opinions forward. Perhaps to pursuade others and perhaps not to win each battle, but to speak up.

avri:i also thinkg the 2 year term for chair is a mistake.  not only are 1 year the gernal trand in ICANN, but this requires that someown running for chair must be at the beginning of a term so they have 2 years to serve.

Alan Greenberg:@avri, duties and metrics has come down pretty strongly that th person must have possibility of serving for 2 years, not that they are guarenteed to be there.

Alan Greenberg:Only person who would not meet that is a person on their last year of a term-limited RALO appointment who with the NomCom person from that region just been named.

avri:so relect them every year.  why is that so hard?  of course they are allowed two terms, but why a 2 year term?

Roosevelt King:Hi all, I have to go in about 5 mins.

Alan Greenberg:not up on my screen - ;-)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Can we perhaps ask the pen holders to draft an example set of processes for say an Election  and then other form of selection and post  to the DT list

Yaovi Atohoun:I am disconnected

Roosevelt King:giving notice that I will do some work on the rules and submit as comment.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:and obviouslty on the wiki

Alan Greenberg:Hour is long past - I need to leave very shortly.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Good Roosevelt

Nathalie  Peregrine:he's disconnected

Nathalie  Peregrine:we're trying to dial him back

Silvia Vivanco:Dialing Yaovi back

avri:i recommend it be 3 elections type: in ALAC, among RALOs and among ALSes

Nathalie  Peregrine:Yaovi is baack

avri:and first there need to be ways defined and then decide which types of thing get which type of election

Roosevelt King:will do

Tijani BEN JEMAA:each RALO has its own rules

avri:i meant elections among the RALOS

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:indeed Tijani as do the ALSes

avri:i meant elections among the ALSes

avri:not within RALOS or ALSes

avri:the ALAC cannot assume that it is the only decison maker, or the only one to elect representatives

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: but there may be times  when the ALAC require ALSes  and / or RALOs to have input inot an Appointment or selection / election  i think tat is what Avri was referring to

avri:it has to at least allow procedurealy for other ways of choosing.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:True ALAC  but it is making rules for its own  oporation  at the moment

Roosevelt King:Bye

avri:but first define the process by which it could happen.  then decide when it should happen.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:to the wiki  then

Silvia Vivanco:Let us know preferred time for the next meeting.

avri:byt if ALAC makes rules for its own operations that include things that should be done by wider membership, that is a proble,

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:rotation will do I would think

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:take care all

Silvia Vivanco:Thank you all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye all

Roosevelt King:bye

• No labels