17:43:01 From Yesim Nazlar to Everyone : Hello, my name is Yesim Nazlar and I will be monitoring this chat room. In this role, I am the voice for the remote participants. Please note that I will read aloud comments/questions submitted in English within the time set by the Chair of this session.
When submitting a question or comment that you want me to read out loud on the mic, please start with a <QUESTION> and end with a “</QUESTION>” or <COMMENT> </COMMENT>. Text outside these quotes will be considered as part of “chat” and will not be read out loud on the microphone.
To listen to the interpretation, please click on the interpretation icon in the Zoom toolbar and select the language you will listen to and/or speak during this session.
Please note that chat sessions are being archived and follow the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior: http://www.icann.org/en/news/in-focus/accountability/expected-standards.
18:19:42 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : It’s that Canadian accent…
18:22:00 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : hi everyone. good day/ night to all
18:26:29 From Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC) to Everyone : Hi all
18:26:49 From Innocent Adriko to Everyone : Hello everyone
18:28:42 From Gisella Gruber - ICANN Org to Everyone : Welcome to the At-Large Policy Session 3: Applicant Support: What Does Success Look Like?
18:31:43 From Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC) to Everyone : agree
18:36:50 From Olivier Crépin-Leblond to Everyone : Let's go through the 100 avenues of history of the Applicant Support Program, its forgotten heroes, its fallen warriors. :-) Do you have, like, 3 hours for that? :-)
18:37:22 From Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC) to Everyone : @Olivier sure :-)
18:37:23 From Alan Greenberg to Everyone : Sure Olivier. Starting in 90 minutes!
18:38:06 From Heidi Ullrich (ICANN Org) to Everyone : Welcome, Edmon.
18:43:55 From Maureen Hilyard to Everyone : Great introduction, Jonathan
18:44:02 From Sarah Kiden to Everyone : +1
18:46:04 From Sébastien Bachollet to Everyone : For the Board the metric was don’t spend more than the budget allocated for the ASP
18:46:34 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : < comment> For me the main goal around the program is to allow new players entering this market will have profit businesses. or have your community connected to their own interest or even to have whatever your focus in the Brand names < comments>
18:49:12 From Cheryl Langdon-Orr to Everyone : outreach was too little to late IMO last round
18:50:08 From Calvin Browne to Everyone : The conditions imposed were self limiting (Finacial guarantees, cost of insfratructure required etc).
18:51:07 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : yes Cheryl here guess where we had 11 new golds among 19 for all LAC region we as member ICANN community entered this as a personal task to raise aware .
18:52:38 From Goran Marby to Everyone : Connectivity has gone up a lot since the last round. Specially in the non English parts of the world.
18:53:06 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : after a couple years I was part of a survey around this region to reach all organization we could not reach during our promotion and almost none had heard about the new gTLD though they would like to be alerted if there would be another round
18:53:14 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : Good point, @Goran
18:53:36 From Olivier Crépin-Leblond to Everyone : It was also a problem that the "New gTLD Roadshow" undertaken by the then CEO & Leadership Team only focussed on developed countries/markets. Little was done to go to parts of the "Global South".
18:54:19 From Goran Marby to Everyone : The next round can be seen as giving non English speaking people the same opportunity. How do you measure that?
18:54:40 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : goran has a good point and another is problems related to IDNs and universal acceptance to allow cultural communities for instance around the world to be reached by new applicants
18:55:15 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : Yes, Vanda. That’s why the At-Large are hoping for real improvement in UA, prior to a new round!
18:55:31 From Goran Marby to Everyone : Vanda. I cannot agree more that we need to do more all the time.
18:56:48 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : yes it is clear that if members like us in the country go and call and talk with possible applicants is more easy to them to understand and apply
18:57:28 From Goran Marby to Everyone : Internet is local and global as the same time. People you should be able to use keyboards in their own language.
18:57:33 From Sébastien Bachollet to Everyone : @Goran very difficult. And some applicatione where made by US company in other region to have more opportunity to play with any by region process eventually decided by ICANN after the launch of the program
18:57:45 From Cheryl Langdon-Orr to Everyone : the Recommendation from SubPro re being able to continue with a non Applicant supported Application is also essential the fail to get support and have to withdraw was a great risk dis-insentive last time.
18:58:49 From Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC) to Everyone : @Cheryl +1
18:59:51 From Roberto to Everyone : About keyboards, the technology moves fast in the direction of having virtual keyboards that can be flexibly adapted to different scripts
18:59:51 From Becky Burr to Everyone : That’s a very good point Edmon.
19:00:22 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : + 1 Cheryl. I helped a bank to apply here and we have faced a lot of difficulties reaching ICANN and my personal interference knowing people inside was the way to conclude. i imagine others without such access and no good support certainly will give up in the middle of the process after win
19:00:52 From Roberto to Everyone : +1 Ed - new players needed
19:00:55 From Becky Burr to Everyone : We need connections with those on the ground in targeted communities to bring the program to those communities.
19:01:10 From Roberto to Everyone : We cannot think to have innovation by having more of the same
19:01:57 From Goran Marby to Everyone : One thing that we want to spend time and investing in is to make the application process as “easy” possible.
19:02:57 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : We can’t start to truly design a program until we come up with clear goals, however. Otherwise, our efforts might be misdirected.
19:03:06 From Becky Burr to Everyone : That’s definitely important. I do think that the SubPro was right to identify the need for non-financial pro-bono support as well.
19:03:19 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : thanks Göran will certainly help, but also ICANN direct responses after the time th applicant wins will be fundamental to a successful outcome for each applicant
19:03:34 From Sébastien Bachollet to Everyone : Yes @Edmon the ASP went to the Board with At-Large coming to the Board
19:04:02 From Andrew Mack to Everyone : Agree @Jonathan. No metrics = no real value for the community or for the applicant
19:04:44 From Calvin Browne to Everyone : Yes Edmon - scoring was interesting - "show you are financially viable" vs "we want to apply for financial assistance".
19:04:57 From Olivier Crépin-Leblond to Everyone : EIU = Economist Intelligence Unit
19:04:58 From Goran Marby to Everyone : Jonathan, do not disagree but sometimes the goals are hard to measure. Take the goal to give more people access to their own identifiers in local language. If that is a number we might miss smaller regions.
19:05:09 From Cheryl Langdon-Orr to Everyone : SARP is indeed vital (IMO) agreed @Edmon
19:05:11 From Marita Moll to Everyone : We have been very vocal on getting community members on the CEP
19:05:41 From Andrew Mack to Everyone : @Calvin, and there’s the question — if the applicant is viable that doesn’t say anything about whether or not the idea is sustainable
19:06:02 From Satish Babu to Everyone : Interesting narrative from Edmon, straight from the horse's mouth...for many of us who were not around in the last round
19:06:31 From Roberto to Everyone : @Göran, true we can miss small situations, but if we do not implement something we take the risk of missing also the large situations that are at a disadvantage
19:06:31 From Calvin Browne to Everyone : @Andrew - exactly.
19:06:46 From Roberto to Everyone : sort of “the better is enemy of the good”
19:06:59 From Maureen Hilyard to Everyone : +1 Goran about making the process easy.. that is basically our goal but as Vanda is saying is that potential applicants have to be able to better understand the process and this support has to happen well in advance of the application process opening.
19:07:03 From Goran Marby to Everyone : Roberto, that was actually my point.
19:07:57 From Edmon Chung to Everyone : i think bringing in new players is an important aspect
19:08:40 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : @ maureen yes. we should be already running this awareness
19:09:29 From Becky Burr to Everyone : Communication and awareness are key metrics - but these must be supported by a tool box that facilitates successful applications.
19:10:36 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : And we’re back to designing the program.
19:10:40 From desiree_miloshevic to Everyone : +1 to BB
19:10:46 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : Agree @ becky and the help of ICANN members in each country.
19:10:52 From Calvin Browne to Everyone : @Edmond - Yeah - it was an afterthought last round.
19:11:31 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : So, are we saying that if we start sooner, have longer application period, have more community involvement that we can judge the program a success?
19:12:10 From Satish Babu to Everyone : +1 on the need for additional support to IDNs, coming from a very linguistically diverse region...
19:12:17 From Marita Moll to Everyone : + the application process has to be really accessible
19:13:04 From Calvin Browne to Everyone : @jonathan - you increase your chance of success if you start sooner and have more community involvement.
19:13:31 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : @Calvin, is that true, if you don’t know what success looks like?
19:14:18 From Calvin Browne to Everyone : @Jonathan - agreed. But we know what it doesn't look like right now.
19:15:55 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : @jonathan- if we can not alert the possibility to apply we will not have a correct view if we have success or not. simple number fo applicant will never be a metric - this previous assessment of each regions that will help our understanding what meen success
19:17:57 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : @Vanda, I agree. No one is making bad suggestions but, if we have limited funding, perhaps we need more targeted use of the funds, rather than a generalized education program, for example. Actual Objectives are critical to designing a program.
19:18:20 From Haider Zaidi to Everyone : Is it possible to engage a Staff augmentation company for this?
19:18:32 From Roberto to Everyone : @JZ take the NomCom - we do believe that giving enough time and good advertisement we get better candidates. Do we have a formal measure that this brings to success? I don’t think so - but I may be wrong. For the new gTLD it links very similar to me.
19:18:51 From Roberto to Everyone : *looks
19:19:41 From Roberto to Everyone : @JZ but I agree that the design is important for efficient use of the limited funding
19:19:52 From Edmon Chung to Everyone : something came to mind... in terms of outreach, i think youth participants, fellows, nextgen, represents a good group to consider because to be honest, it would likely remain too daunting for someone completely fresh to dive into a new gTLD project
19:19:56 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : I’ll ask again, if we have ZERO supported applicants with a delegated gTLD, will we be satisfied with the result, because we tried harder and earlier?
19:20:08 From Nadira AL-ARAJ to Everyone : Guidance for applicants is necessary to make sure that they’re technically qualified for application.
19:20:48 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : @Jonathan. financial support is something we need to go deeper. for instance. how long the support can exist after the applicant wins? is the group with enough management capacity to proceed after implemented? so
19:21:18 From Sarah Kiden to Everyone : Thanks Dave for mentioning targeted support
19:21:32 From Goran Marby to Everyone : A part of the ODP for the new round will be a communication plan. I agree, that is important
19:21:46 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : At @Vanda, I don’t disagree. Funds are limited, however. Should we have more targeted support?
19:21:48 From Becky Burr to Everyone : Operational support must be carefully considered consistent with the organization’s fiduciary obligations.
19:21:48 From Andrew Mack to Everyone : What nobody is mentioning is the business model. Our firm did a study of why there were so few applications from the global south and this came out as one of the major factors — people just didn’t know what their options were and what had succeeded in the past. Language was a major issue as well
19:21:59 From Haider Zaidi to Everyone : Involving a Staff Augmentation company for this would eliminate the hassle to select the candidates by ICANN
19:22:14 From Becky Burr to Everyone : Interesting @andrew
19:22:17 From Goran Marby to Everyone : And if we expect this to be new applicants in new parts of the world we cannot expect that the ones we need to talk to comes to ICANN meetings.
19:22:20 From Edmon Chung to Everyone : good point @andrew
19:22:48 From Becky Burr to Everyone : “Staff augmentation” = consultants?
19:22:51 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : Right, @Andy, you only scratched the surface but perhaps your research suggests that targeting cohorts, of successful applicants in the “developed world,” for support.
19:22:57 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : agree Hadia.. we need to have a wider view in our communication and analyze better our target markets
19:23:01 From Andrew Mack to Everyone : most of the people we want to reach don’t know this community exists. if we want more diversity we need to make the process more obvious
19:23:18 From Goran Marby to Everyone : +1 Andrew
19:23:19 From Sarah Kiden to Everyone : @Andrew, kindly share link to the study
19:23:22 From Andrew Mack to Everyone : that for me means building off what has been learned to date
19:23:22 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : But we need to start with a goal or two
19:23:25 From Cheryl Langdon-Orr to Everyone : +++ @Andy
19:23:51 From Edmon Chung to Everyone : thats why i think maybe a more realistic target group are those who are already aware of ICANN but have been on the peripheral
19:24:10 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : Interesting idea, @edmon
19:24:25 From León Felipe Sánchez Ambía to Everyone : Love the bass Andrew!
19:24:36 From Goran Marby to Everyone : But that does not necessary come to ICANN meetings.
19:24:47 From Goran Marby to Everyone : Seems to be a lot of agreement.
19:25:41 From Goran Marby to Everyone : I have a suggestion, when we are a little bit further down the road. Invite Sally N and her team who are preparing the coms plan for the next round.
19:25:56 From Edmon Chung to Everyone : an idea of being able to reach the "peripheral" people would be to work with ALSes... last time I also suggested that the outreach program might be more effective if ICANN worked through ALSes, but the idea was not taken up
19:26:10 From Goran Marby to Everyone : I know that your input will be important.
19:26:25 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : Great idea, @Goran. Ideally, we can go to Sally with some clear communications objectives
19:26:25 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : + 1 Andrew. glad I have apra of this survey -we learned a lot about what was needed
19:26:38 From Roberto to Everyone : @Göran - maybe we need to identify other instances than the ICANN meetings, like IGF regional/national meetings, where to reach out to a different target population
19:26:53 From Goran Marby to Everyone : Roberto, agree
19:26:59 From Goran Marby to Everyone : Also like the ALS idea.
19:28:13 From Goran Marby to Everyone : I can also see working with local ISOC chapters
19:28:18 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : Andrew’s study found that there was plenty of money but no understanding of WHY someone might WANT a gTLD
19:28:39 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : Roberto, yes. I have talked here together with the local icann staff around the country in larger associations, in all areas... and we had a good ssuccess considering the country economy and developing stage...
19:29:28 From Goran Marby to Everyone : And I just asked Sally N to join this session as listen..
19:29:36 From desiree_miloshevic to Everyone : @ Andrew please repeat what we’ve learnt what makes a sustainable TLD?
19:30:02 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : Good question Desiree!
19:30:09 From Goran Marby to Everyone : Congratulations for a good session btw.
19:30:18 From Marita Moll to Everyone : Bottom line -- there needs to be a lot of support for applicants in this category so they don't have to start from scratch
19:30:20 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : great Göran this session shall continue after this meeting to allow more discussion on how to reach all points raising in this session
19:30:40 From Roberto to Everyone : @JZ that’s true - I would not know myself what to do with a TLD - and it is very difficult to spread this idea in areas that are culturally different from the developed world
19:30:55 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : We’re just starting the conversation, obviously
19:30:55 From desiree_miloshevic to Everyone : @Jonathan Zuck Many good questions in the session
19:31:29 From avri doria to Everyone : Have we captured that which we learned?
19:31:34 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : that survey was quite good!!
19:31:55 From Nadira AL-ARAJ to Everyone : Great points Andrew
19:32:10 From Cheryl Langdon-Orr to Everyone : All very well said @Andrew and starting the conversation now is also critical IMO
19:32:12 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : @Avri, everyone has a different perspective on that. It’s the parable of the 3 blind folks and the elephant.
19:32:16 From Sarah Kiden to Everyone : Someone kindly share the survey. Trying to find it
19:32:25 From Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong to Everyone : thanks Andrew for that great point.
19:32:29 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : Sarah, Andrew’s research?
19:32:31 From Andrew Mack to Everyone : Somewhere on the ICANN ether is our paper “New gTLDs and the Global South…” I think it will help a lot
19:32:35 From Marita Moll to Everyone : Support needed: language support, human resources support, templates, partnership building. It has to be a group effort
19:32:49 From Andrew Mack to Everyone : @agreed Marta
19:32:59 From Sarah Kiden to Everyone : @Jonathan, yes please
19:33:02 From Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong to Everyone : we need more Outreach with strategic community target
19:34:55 From Laura Margolis to Everyone : @abdeldjalil yes, but we should do it smartly to get better results
19:34:55 From Shreedeep Rayamajhi to Everyone : communication plays a crucial role
19:35:27 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : Here’s Andrew’s research:
19:35:31 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/56135378/New%20gTLDs%20and%20the%20Global%20South%20--%20Understanding%20Limited%20Demand%20and%20Options%20Going%20Forward%2010-31-16.docx?version=1&modificationDate=1478055284445&api=v2
19:35:51 From Laura Margolis to Everyone : +1 Shreedeep
19:36:16 From Sarah Kiden to Everyone : Thanks, Jonathan
19:36:20 From Becky Burr to Everyone : Makes sense to me
19:36:35 From Roberto to Everyone : Thanks JZ
19:38:11 From Maria Kolesnikova (.ru) to Everyone : If I get it right and we are talking about how to support New gTLD applicants (round 2), so last time they needed real professional consulting on all areas of the requirements mentioned in the Applicant Guidebook - operating, marketing, technical issues.
19:39:59 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : Maria they also need to be aware the new gTLD exist and the program etc and yes, once they decide to apply then we need all help to apply correctly
19:41:30 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : Well, at least a box of Donuts…
19:41:36 From Maria Kolesnikova (.ru) to Everyone : The question if they have enough money and if they are ready to maintain a real registry with great marketing team. :)
19:42:44 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : Maria. again agree. shall be clear what is demanded to have and running a TLD whatever your goal the applicant has
19:43:40 From Maria Kolesnikova (.ru) to Everyone : Seems lack of experience in leading a TLD registry is a big issue here.
19:44:19 From Roberto to Everyone : The question is then not just what to do with a TLD but what to do that you cannot do cheaper in a different way - for this parts of the world with different economies have different answers
19:44:32 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : thank you Christa.
19:44:42 From Bill Jouris to Everyone : @Maria, experience or training in how to run a registry
19:45:22 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : Great chart, from the ICANN community’s principle “Data Wizard!”
19:45:55 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : totally agree @jonathan , potential applicant shall have it much more clear to not get a solon to solve a NO PROBLEM
19:46:09 From Nadira AL-ARAJ to Everyone : +1 Bill, adding that they will be cost effective for their investment
19:46:43 From Andrew Mack to Everyone : @Christa I think there are two metrics of ROI — their mission (as described — doesn’t need to just be growth) and at least some basic level of financial sustainability (which is something that we can set, and should honestly benefit them)
19:47:51 From Andrew Mack to Everyone : Almost nobody knew about the service being offered pro bono from what I’ve heard
19:48:17 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : Ironically, there were quite a few names on both of the lists, @Andrew
19:48:36 From Marita Moll to Everyone : Maybe they weren't ready. Would we have a process to go back to those people, who did not follow through.
19:48:48 From Calvin Browne to Everyone : @Andrew - I certainly didn't, but we were going flat out to get stuff in on time.
19:50:24 From Calvin Browne to Everyone : I guess the second.
19:50:30 From Haider Zaidi to Everyone : @nd approch
19:50:41 From Haider Zaidi to Everyone : 2nd*
19:51:47 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : I am with Becky for the 2nd
19:54:51 From Maria Kolesnikova (.ru) to Everyone : I'd look at the Applicant Guidebook requirements at the beginning... as there can be some new things and procedures in comparison with the first round... So the second round can differ. :)))
19:55:39 From Nadira AL-ARAJ to Everyone : +1 Maria
19:56:24 From Sébastien Bachollet to Everyone : We can’t choose 2 of 3?
19:56:28 From Calvin Browne to Everyone : Would have wanted to select the top two of them
19:56:29 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone : Hope we get everyone!
19:56:43 From Edmon Chung to Everyone : @sebastien i had the same question :-P
19:57:28 From Calvin Browne to Everyone : yeah - more time
19:57:47 From Sébastien Bachollet to Everyone : Non of the above
19:57:54 From Calvin Browne to Everyone : none of the above
19:58:10 From Andrew Mack to Everyone : what about two but not all
19:59:21 From Calvin Browne to Everyone : And some other criteria
19:59:45 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : so first one I would not chose but the only option is all the above
20:00:08 From Sarah Kiden to Everyone : Thank you!
20:00:08 From Asha Hemrajani to Everyone : The list in this question is definitely non-exhaustive. Many other possible KPIs.
20:00:23 From Seun Ojedeji to Everyone : thanks
20:00:24 From Cheryl Langdon-Orr to Everyone : This has been an Excellent Session THANK you all let's ensure this is a continuing discussion after this good start... Bye for now
20:00:28 From Nadira AL-ARAJ to Everyone : Can we have a report from this session
20:00:30 From pari esfandiari to Everyone : Thank you everyone. Great session.
20:00:31 From León Felipe Sánchez Ambía to Everyone : Excellent session. Congrats to the At-Large community!
20:00:31 From Yaovi Atohoun II -ICANN Org to Everyone : interesting discussions
20:00:34 From Lianna Galstyan to Everyone : Thanks everyone
20:00:37 From Vanda Scartezini - Brazil to Everyone : thank you for this interesting discussion that shall be a continuing process with other webinars and roundtables around
20:00:41 From Becky Burr to Everyone : Thanks ALAC for organizing this, good session.
20:00:44 From David Olive, ICANN Org to Everyone : Thanks All
20:00:46 From Keolebogile Rantsetse(ICANN70 Fellow) to Everyone : great session
20:00:46 From Natalia Filina to Everyone : Great session, thanks all!
20:00:46 From Maureen Hilyard to Everyone : Thanks everyone for such an interesting and informative session. It will be interesting to see what we can develop within At-Large from this discussion.
20:00:53 From Aziz Hilali to Everyone : Bye All
20:00:56 From Evin Erdogdu - ICANN Org to Everyone : Thank you all
20:00:56 From Asha Hemrajani to Everyone : Great session.
20:00:56 From Calvin Browne to Everyone : Thank you all
20:00:57 From Svitlana Tkachenko (ICANN70 Fellow) to Everyone : Great session and productive discussion. Thank you
20:00:57 From Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC) to Everyone : Thank you all bye
20:00:59 From Yaovi Atohoun II -ICANN Org to Everyone : bye
20:01:00 From Yesim Nazlar - ICANN.Org to Everyone : This session is now adjourned. Thank you all for your participation.
20:01:00 From Dave Kissoondoyal - ALAC to Everyone : Thanks and bye to all
20:01:02 From alberto soto to Everyone : Thanks, bye bye!!
20:01:03 From Edmon Chung to Everyone : thx bye
20:01:03 From desiree_miloshevic to Everyone : thanks
20:01:03 From Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong to Everyone : bye

• No labels