Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the Webinar on the WCIT with Global Partnership Regional Vice Presidents on Wednesday 05 September 2012 at 2100 UTC
  Gisella Gruber-White:Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/-4MoAg
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:thanks G
  Siranush Vardanyan:hello, everyone. Lovely to hear all your voices, you can't hear mine, I guess, as I am only in Adobe space, but if needed, I have noted Gisella your availability via skype. Thank you
  Kieren McCarthy:Is this table / presentation available for download?
  Victor Ndonnang:Hi all!
  Gisella Gruber-White:@ Kieren - all documents are on the agenda page
  Yrjö Länsipuro:Hi
  sergio salinas porto:Hi All!!!!
  Gisella Gruber-White:We have Spanish and French interpretation on this call
  Gisella Gruber-White:PLEASE state your names when speaking and speak slowly for interpretation
  Eduardo Diaz:Hoal a todos - again!
  Yaovi Atohoun:Bonjour a tous, Je suis sur le canal Francais
  Nataila Enciso:Hello!
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Hello everyone
  Carlton Samuels:Hi Everyone
  Kieren McCarthy:Thanks Gisella
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:echo.....echo.......echo ;-)
  Carlton Samuels:Awful echo on system
  Eduardo Diaz:Mute ec=veryone
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yep mute all
  Carlton Samuels:*6 is mute on Adigo bridge
  Gisella Gruber-White:on audio bridge * ^ to MUTE and *7 to unmute
  nigel:32479630586
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Can anyone navigate around the document on screen?
  Eduardo Diaz:@olivier: I can.
  Siranush Vardanyan:yes, I can
  Victor Ndonnang:Yes for me
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:ok - good just checking -- and also Thank you Gisella for checking hands -- I have a 6 second delay on my adobe today
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:yes
  Gisella Gruber-White:I hope everyone is hearing Nigel loud and clear - on English, French and Spanish
  Alejandro Pisanty:Hi all. Gisella, hearing Nigel perfectly, in the English channel.
  Alejandro Pisanty:Can the document be downloaded?
  Gisella Gruber-White:@ Alejandro - the documents are available on the agenda page: https://community.icann.org/x/-4MoAg
  Alejandro Pisanty:Thanks Gisella. Hand up.
  Alejandro Pisanty:(maybe hand down and wait for the other speakers)
  Alejandro Pisanty:somnething wrong here
  Alejandro Pisanty:will come back, carry on please
  Evan Leibovitch:olivier is really faint; GG is loud and clear
  Evan Leibovitch:ALAC represents the ants at the picnic
  Wolf Ludwig:Is the WCIT not just and kind of "symbolic policy" from an old / anachronist (UN-) systemtrying to pertain its influence in a field where old key players lost control?
  ebw:Q for the presenter: there are two texts referenced in the preparatory materials for this call. one is quite terse and requires substantial subject matter expertise simply to read -- granted, you've chosen not to spend time on the substantive issues summarized in this particular reference. The other is 36 pages of semi-folksy / semi-law-review material which may present idiom barriers to non-common-law (US/CA/UK/AU/NZ) readers, as well as the proluxity barrier of 36 pages. Why were these two resources selected, and what resources were not selected as preparatory materials for this call?
  Evan Leibovitch:I have a question but do not have access to phone, I am listening by AC only
  Evan Leibovitch:We have heard in this talk about the lack of respect (or lack of appreciation) in WCIT for ICANN's multi stakeholder model. Yet in building a strategy for defending ICANN's relevance and advancing its benefits compared to a state-run model, ICANN is neglecting and in effect ignoring the active participation of its community. Most action is to be undertaken by ICANNstaff, in consultation with industry (!) but not woth the extensive end user community that is a visibly unique feature of ICANN's internal processes.How can ICANN defend the MSM on the global stage if it doesn't have enough confidence in this community to act9ively engage it in its response to the ITU/WCIT?
  Wolf Ludwig:The ETNO proposal supports my assumption ;-)
  Alejandro Pisanty 2:Participants (ebw in particular) may find this useful as well: https://fileshare.tools.isoc.org/wentworth/public/WCIT%20issues%20matrix/WCIT-ISSUES-MATRIX-15June2012.pdf - it is an analysis made by ISOC, Sally Wentworth in particular, of the issues in WCIT vis a vis the Internet.
  Gisella Gruber-White:Not too fast for interpretation
  ebw:thanks alejandro, i've subject matter resources and really do appreciate you providing this link. my question is more about what is available for this call, why selected and what was not selected. really a call management question.
  Carlton Samuels:Here's a useful overview of the IRS Draft with respect to the proposals for change...and how the areas of influence could pan out. Compliments of Christopher Wilkinson: http://www.anuntul.eu/wiki/WCIT-12
  Carlton Samuels:*ITRS*
  Alejandro Pisanty 2:Pisanty hand up
  Yaovi Atohoun:Je suis deconnecte
  Evan Leibovitch:My hand is up, but I need someone to read my question for me...
  Gisella Gruber-White:Alejandro - not too fast please
  Matt Ashtiani:Please remember to speak slowly.
  Holly Raiche:My apologies -  I have to leave this interestingwebinar
  Victor Ndonnang:The ITU is a member state organization, but We also have within ICANN the GAC. My question is: What ICANN did to impact countries proposals or positions via the GAC?
  Gisella Gruber-White:PLEASE say your names
  Heidi Ullrich:Carlton will read Evan's question.
  Victor Ndonnang:Please
  Heidi Ullrich:Carlton, do you still wish to speak?
  Carlton Samuels:Yes
  Heidi Ullrich:ok, thanks.
  Carlton Samuels:Thank you Heidi
  Evan Leibovitch:Typically the GAC is there to advise the ICANN Board. The reverse is highly unlikely. to be fruitful.
  Wolf Ludwig:Nice scenario to assume that ICANN might have such an influence on governments via its GAC ;-)
  Heidi Ullrich:Victor, do you have another question?
  Evan Leibovitch:I can just see Steve Crocker reading a communique if advice before the week's first GAC meeting :-P
  Victor Ndonnang:No Thanks Heidi.
  Heidi Ullrich:ok, thanks, Victor.
  Evan Leibovitch:Followup: It is telling that this is a webinar with Q&A as opposed to strategy planning
  Wolf Ludwig:Good point, Yrjö!
  Victor Ndonnang:Thank you very much Nigel. I think we need more proactive actions from the ICANN's GAC
  Victor Ndonnang:+1 Yrjö. We all have a role to play
  Evan Leibovitch:heidi has my followup
  Carlton Samuels:NO. Already done?
  Wolf Ludwig:Will this be an issue in Toronto?
  ebw:Comment to the presenter, the ITU is a statist enterprise (that is, arising from states acting in concert). The corporation, if not an agency of a state (a contractor to the United States for some specific set of services, possibly including rule making for some other federal contractor, or for some area of multi-party economic or cultural activity), is not. The At Large is a corporate bylaws entity which is not statist in nature. The several references you've made to "work the national governments" overlooks the fundamental difference between ICANN and the ITU, and the fundamental definition of AT Large as being unbounded by territorial jurisdictions. Thank you for your time.
  Evan Leibovitch:Thank you Olivier. You're making my point well
  Victor Ndonnang:Good point. Thanks Olivier!
  Evan Leibovitch:IS AT LARGE INVOLVED IN ANY OF THIS ROADSHOW?
  Evan Leibovitch:Sigh. It's just not getting through :-(
  Alejandro Pisanty 2:Pisanty hand up
  Heidi Ullrich:We have a WCIT workspace: https://community.icann.org/display/alacexcomm/At-Large+WCIT+Workspace
  Wolf Ludwig:Good night everybody!
  Heidi Ullrich:Good night, Wolf!
  Heidi Ullrich:Please add any additional questions on the workspace. At-Large staff will send them to Nigel.
  ebw:alejandro lost audio
  alberto soto:Goog night everybody!
  Yrjö Länsipuro:Alejandro +1
  Etienne:Please my phone connexion as lose
  Etienne:In the Adobe connect c
  Etienne:can you connecte my in the french canal
  ebw:i agree with alejandro. ICANN doesn't go to congressional hearings with just staff alone, it finds a way to have other interested persons -- and not just verisign employees -- to also inform Congress.
  Alejandro Pisanty:we have written policy papers, fought them through... why would ICANN deilberately waste that effort?
  Rudi Vansnick:as an ISOC BoT I will bring up tomorrow to my colleagues board of trustees the request to have a close collaboration between ISOC and ICANN on this issue
  Rudi Vansnick:Nicel, maybe we can have a short talk tomorrow as I'm in Brussels too
  Heidi Ullrich:Please add your questions to the wiki workspace: Etienne: can you connecte my in the french canal
  Heidi Ullrich:https://community.icann.org/display/alacexcomm/At-Large+WCIT+Workspace
  Carlton Samuels:thanks all
  Heidi Ullrich:Thank you,  Nigel!
  Evan Leibovitch:I personally disagree with the format. The ongoing process should be one of bilateral engagement, not Q&A
  Rudi Vansnick:bye to every one
  sergio salinas porto:Bye all
  Rudi Vansnick:till soon
  Nataila Enciso:bye
  Yrjö Länsipuro:Thanks!
  Victor Ndonnang:Thanks Nigel . Thank you all!
  Alejandro Pisanty:thanks Gisella and all staff!!!
  alberto soto:bye bye
  Alejandro Pisanty:bye now
  Etienne:bye